Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2021, 05:41 AM   #1
songkrai

Default Vaccinations

Vaccinations.

Covid-19. When and where

Summer neighbor down the road. He and wife got first Vaccination on January 6, 2021. Winter home is in Florida. That is where they got the Vaccination.
That county/state is providing Vaccination to those 65 years old and up - the general public.

He states that he made an appointment on computer (internet) and just showed up. That county is doing those age 65 and up first. And has already started.
It was the 2 part Vaccination.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:55 AM   #2
MDoug

Default Vaccinations

We have appointments for Covid vaccinations January 11 at health department in Appling County, GA, near our winter home.
The Following User Says Thank You to MDoug For This Useful Post:
Stevebvt (01-10-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 07:00 AM   #3
fatlazyless

New Hampshire vaccine allocation plan:

http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/cdcs/cov...an-summary-pdf ... January 5, 2021

As a 69-year old NH resident in Waterville Valley and Meredith, probably my best plan between now and sometime in the March-April-May vaccination estimated date is to totally self-isolate as much as possible and wear a good quality mask down at Walmart, Market Basket, and the gasoline station. If wearing one mask is good, then wearing two masks, one on top of the other, is better ...

Probably, no one thinks they will get hit with this disease until they actually get hit with this disease, and then they refuse to believe it.

If this pdf link worked and I cannot figure out why it does not work, some of what it shows ....... for the New Hampshire plan:

Phase 2 ....... March-April-May, 2021

Phase 2a ..... estimated 175,000-people
...................people 65 to 74 years old
...................K to Grade-12: school and childcare staff

Phase 2b ..... estimated 200,000-people
.................. people 50 to 64 years old

Golden View nursing home in Meredith has suffered six Covid-19 deaths including both health staff and residents - a total of 56-residents and 52-staff have tested positive - news report, Dec 31, Laconia Daily Sun

So, basically no matter how financially broke, depressed, lonely or physically ailing (C-19 excluded) you may be, waking up in the morning with two good strong healthy lungs is another very good day! .... .... to go for a long walk and soak up all that winter sunshine! Just remember to at least carry a mask in your pocket.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-07-2021 at 08:05 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (01-07-2021), KPW (01-09-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 08:07 AM   #4
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Vaccinations.

Covid-19. When and where

Summer neighbor down the road. He and wife got first Vaccination on January 6, 2021. Winter home is in Florida. That is where they got the Vaccination.
That county/state is providing Vaccination to those 65 years old and up - the general public.

He states that he made an appointment on computer (internet) and just showed up. That county is doing those age 65 and up first. And has already started.
It was the 2 part Vaccination.
I got my shot yesterday too. It was extremely difficult to get an appointment and if it were not for my son, I would not have gotten my shot.
So many people were mad and frustrated and afraid and some tried to even go without an appointment to the park and were turned away. The county had a special meeting yesterday and decided that this is just not working. There are too many people who are computer illiterate and don’t know what to do. So they just announced that there is going to be a lottery system. You can either go online to sign up or you can call a number and so anyone who cannot access a computer can get an appointment as well. And then they will just randomly pick the numbers each week and tell you when it’s your turn.

Unfortunately, every state is doing everything differently. Even in Florida, you may have seen some of the pictures of senior citizens camping out all night long to get a shot!
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (01-07-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Arrow ..... getting "shots into arms":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I got my shot yesterday too. It was extremely difficult to get an appointment and if it were not for my son, I would not have gotten my shot.
So many people were mad and frustrated and afraid and some tried to even go without an appointment to the park and were turned away. The county had a special meeting yesterday and decided that this is just not working. There are too many people who are computer illiterate and don’t know what to do. So they just announced that there is going to be a lottery system. You can either go online to sign up or you can call a number and so anyone who cannot access a computer can get an appointment as well. And then they will just randomly pick the numbers each week and tell you when it’s your turn.

Unfortunately, every state is doing everything differently. Even in Florida, you may have seen some of the pictures of senior citizens camping out all night long to get a shot!

From last night's NY Times report, January 8, 2021 ...... by reporters Sheryl Stolberg and Katherine Wu ...... 'focus on getting shots into arms'

"The biggest problem so far has not been a lack of vaccine, but the difficulties that state and local governments face in distributing the doses they have. Capacity and logistics, not shortages, are keeping the vaccines from being administered."

"Our plan is going to focus on getting shots into arms, including by launching a fundamentally new approach, establishing thousands of federally run or federally supported community vaccination centers of various size located in places like high school gymnasiums and N.F.L. stadiums and mobile go-to units for remote locations."

........ sounds like a good, new plan ..... THIS vaccine will be looking for you, you, you ..... you, you, and me. Don't know about you, but I am definitely looking forward to "a little jab will do you" into my arm. Seems somewhat similar to the 1956 polio vaccinations administered all across the country to everyone. In the meantime I wear two masks, one on top of the other, when inside the food store, and await my N-95, $8.95 thick 3M-medical mask, from ebay.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-09-2021 at 08:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Flylady (01-09-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #6
ApS

Arrow Not Your Ordinary Vaccine...

My Florida County is in the process of vaccinating health workers. No dates have been set for Seniors yet.

'Course, the handling is precarious. Both types mandate very cold storage--or it's spoiled...

Maybe it's time to train the Boy Scouts in the giving of vaccinations!
Old 01-09-2021, 05:05 PM   #7
ApS

Wink At Least, I Think It Was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
From last night's NY Times report, January 8, 2021 ...... by reporters Sheryl Stolberg and Katherine Wu ...... 'focus on getting shots into arms'

"The biggest problem so far has not been a lack of vaccine, but the difficulties that state and local governments face in distributing the doses they have. Capacity and logistics, not shortages, are keeping the vaccines from being administered."

"Our plan is going to focus on getting shots into arms, including by launching a fundamentally new approach,
establishing thousands of federally run or federally supported community vaccination centers of various size located in places like high school gymnasiums and N.F.L. stadiums and mobile go-to units for remote locations."
From the same article:

“Any palooka that says we can’t vaccinate the whole shootin’ match by the Fourth of July is fulla malarkey!”

Old 01-09-2021, 06:32 PM   #8
TheTimeTraveler

Giving the Vaccine injections into arms aren't really the issue. Dealing with supply and the paperwork (computer input) for each shot is an issue right now.

Let's hope things go smoother going forward......
Old 01-10-2021, 05:56 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

The government needs to turn it over to the private sector, only they will be able to do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (01-10-2021), Top-Water (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #10
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
The government needs to turn it over to the private sector, only they will be able to do it.
The private sector is involved, this is a governmental/private sector joint venture and a major logistical task. As successful as Warp Speed was, this is harder.

Politics aside, Biden’s plan to release all the doses available without the certainty of second shot reserves is one of those “Go Big” ideas. It seems to be a medium risk/high reward plan. An observation, not a criticism. Way above my pay grade, but one of the early problems has been personnel and venues to put those “shots in arms” and putting all the doses out there would seem to exacerbate that bottleneck.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #11
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
The private sector is involved, this is a governmental/private sector joint venture and a major logistical task. As successful as Warp Speed was, this is harder.

Politics aside, Biden’s plan to release all the doses available without the certainty of second shot reserves is one of those “Go Big” ideas. It seems to be a medium risk/high reward plan. An observation, not a criticism. Way above my pay grade, but one of the early problems has been personnel and venues to put those “shots in arms” and putting all the doses out there would seem to exacerbate that bottleneck.
What I meant is the drug stores, etc. need to start giving out the shots. We all know government trips over their own feet.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #12
Newbiesaukee

I think we are agreeing...but why aren’t the pharmacies in the Lakes Region prepared?

Old 01-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #13
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
I think we are agreeing...but why aren’t the pharmacies in the Lakes Region prepared?
Of course one of the issues is that the vaccine availability just isn't there yet since there is such widespread distribution all over the USA.

Another issue is that many Pharmacies don't have the proper storage facilities for one of the vaccines which must be stored at a negative 94 degrees.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #14
Merrymeeting

Quote:
I have a friend who is a pharmacist in the region. The biggest issue is they want the pharmacies to take this over with no additional staff or resources.

I don't know about other places, but every time I go to the pharmacy in Wolfeboro, there is a line 3-4 deep to pick up prescriptions. How deep will it be if the existing staff is doing shots?
Old 01-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #15
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I have a friend who is a pharmacist in the region. The biggest issue is they want the pharmacies to take this over with no additional staff or resources.

I don't know about other places, but every time I go to the pharmacy in Wolfeboro, there is a line 3-4 deep to pick up prescriptions. How deep will it be if the existing staff is doing shots?
I agree this is a legitimate comment. We have gotten our flu shots at Hannifords for years. When you first approach the pharmacy counter, the flu shot people are triaged to a separate line from the medication waiters.

But no question that personnel are a serious issue. There are no simple answers.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #16
gillygirl

CVS is advertising to increase their workforce to address the staffing needed for the vaccination program.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 01-10-2021, 02:50 PM   #17
TheTimeTraveler

The Flu Vaccination programs have been around for years and there doesn't ever seem to be any issues with an effective distribution.

I wonder if anyone has numbers to show how many Vaccinations are given to folks over a three month period each year?

I would guess that 35% of the USA population gets a Flu Vaccine each year.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:13 PM   #18
FlyingScot

Quote:

Yes--private sector is much more efficient, but only the federal government is big enough to coordinate on the massive scale necessary. Appalling that they have not done this already
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 06:49 PM   #19
fatlazyless

Thumbs down ..... this is for the birds!

Who gets vaccinated and when, here in New Hampshire?

www.concordmonitor.com/Special-Sections/Covid-19

I hope to get vaccinated in the Plymouth Walmart, in their songbird bird seed and bird feeder area, because waiting till March-April-May is strictly for the birds! ....
Old 01-11-2021, 06:41 AM   #20
smith point boater

Default Logistic experts

The vaccine task should have been given to Walmart, CVS and Walgreens - period. These people are logistic and distribution experts. Pending product availability we'd all be vaccinated by the Spring. I'm sure these retailers could have "hired" nurses etc looking for OT to help with shots. I've given the state of NH an 'A' on most handling of the pandemic (vs other states) but on vaccine distribution and administration C+/B-
The Following User Says Thank You to smith point boater For This Useful Post:
tis (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 08:21 AM   #21
ApS

Default Easy-Peasy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Of course one of the issues is that the vaccine availability just isn't there yet since there is such widespread distribution all over the USA. Another issue is that many Pharmacies don't have the proper storage facilities for one of the vaccines which must be stored at a negative 94 degrees.
Just toss the vaccines in a Yeti cooler, and drive it up.

(Guantanamo is 99% vaccinated).
Old 01-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #22
Merrymeeting

"I recently attempted to come up with a plan to vaccinate the 1,200 or so highest-risk patients I care for and realized that to do this on my own, even working 12-hour days doing nothing but vaccinating, would take weeks, while neglecting the routine and urgent care of all my patients. This is not a reasonable option."
Dr. Martin P. Solomon, medical director of Brigham and Women’s Primary Care

From a column in today's Boston Globe.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/01/...cination-plan/
Old 01-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #23
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
"I recently attempted to come up with a plan to vaccinate the 1,200 or so highest-risk patients I care for and realized that to do this on my own, even working 12-hour days doing nothing but vaccinating, would take weeks, while neglecting the routine and urgent care of all my patients. This is not a reasonable option."
Dr. Martin P. Solomon, medical director of Brigham and Women’s Primary Care

From a column in today's Boston Globe.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/01/...cination-plan/
This is an excellent article and gives insight into a major part of the problem.

I am a retired physician and from my contacts I have heard of a disappointing percentage of frontline health care workers who are refusing vaccination at this time. To be clear, I would get mine today were that possible.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #24
WinnisquamZ

“Disappointing percentage” those who have managed the virus on a daily basis are rejecting the vaccine. Is this bad? Not really, if you dig deeper and ask why we hear answers like “those most vulnerable must be done first”. I have been around it for a year, give it to those who need it” etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 01-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #25
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
“Disappointing percentage” those who have managed the virus on a daily basis are rejecting the vaccine. Is this bad? Not really, if you dig deeper and ask why we hear answers like “those most vulnerable must be done first”. I have been around it for a year, give it to those who need it” etc....

I understand what you are saying, but I look at it a little differently. First, this was FL where the governor has prioritized those over 65 as being first. Secondly, my belief about why health care providers are refusing is: health care providers include many non physicians who are younger. Their reasoning may be: I am young, my risk of dying/becoming very ill with Covid, is quite low. OTOH, the vaccines available are m-rna vaccines which technique has never been done before and may have unknown side effects. So, if I wait a few months, I’ll see if there are more side effects and I’ll get it then.

Although I do not agree with this, I see where reasonable people might make this decision.

That may, of course, not be correct. But, it is not good for anybody if the vaccine is available and not being used, regardless of cause.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #26
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but I look at it a little differently. First, this was FL where the governor has prioritized those over 65 as being first. Secondly, my belief about why health care providers are refusing is: health care providers include many non physicians who are younger. Their reasoning may be: I am young, my risk of dying/becoming very ill with Covid, is quite low. OTOH, the vaccines available are m-rna vaccines which technique has never been done before and may have unknown side effects. So, if I wait a few months, I’ll see if there are more side effects and I’ll get it then.

Although I do not agree with this, I see where reasonable people might make this decision.

That may, of course, not be correct. But, it is not good for anybody if the vaccine is available and not being used, regardless of cause.
I know here in NH the rejection rate from first responders is not as high as other states. And what has been happening here is when it is refused they just ask someone else. Nothing is wasted.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #27
fatlazyless

Here's a related report from today on CNN-January 11, 2021 by Maggie Fox:

'States increasingly dumping CDC recommendations in giving out coronavirus vaccines, analysis finds'

You will have to google that.

And, you know what, dead or alive, you is better off alive ..... and you can quote me on this ....... did I say that .....
Old 01-12-2021, 10:45 AM   #28
WinnisquamZ

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/01...oses-is-a-sin/

Old 01-12-2021, 06:52 PM   #29
FlyingScot

Quote:
Yes--one of many messed up things that needs to be fixed. Incredible how poorly some of this stuff has (not) been thought out
Old 01-12-2021, 07:36 PM   #30
TheTimeTraveler

The latest I've heard on the Covid Vaccines is that the entire stock of it is to be released and will go to anyone in any State who is age 65 or over.

This is supposed to begin immediately.

My guess is that this is great news for a lot of folks....
Old 01-12-2021, 08:36 PM   #31
fatlazyless

Smile ..... could scramble NH's plans

'Federal urging to speed up vaccinations could scramble New Hampshire's plans'

http://www.concordmonitor.com/second...covid-38282676 .... Tuesday, January 12, 6:44-pm, by Teddy Rosenbluth

"To jerk states around in the waning days of an outgoing administration doesn't feel like good policy to me, Williams said."

"This is a fitting chaotic finale to the chaotic pandemic response."

Oh well ...... chaotic or not chaotic ...... all that matters is getting a shot into my arm, and getting it done in the Plymouth Walmart bird food and bird feeder area will be just fine. It is actually very close to their Walmart Pharmacy in a spot that's between seasons right now ....... and this is definitely the pandemic season-2021! ...... I'll even buy a 13-dollar big bag of bird seed while I'm there! ....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-12-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #32
TheProfessor

01/14/2021

State of New Hampshire government vaccination web site:

LINK
Old 01-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #33
WinnisquamZ

https://www.nhpr.org/post/nh-ski-pat...e-distribution
Ski Patroll before many at risk. Unacceptable by any standards

Old 01-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #34
Lakegeezer

Quote:

Ski patrollers are first responders and the ski areas are open. What's the problem?
Old 01-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #35
WinnisquamZ

You having to ask is the problem most are having with distribution of the vaccine.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #36
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Emt

Quote:
Ski Patrol are usually highly qualified EMT and are certainly first responders where the "client" may be from an unknown area, and unknown medical history, same as a car accident. I want to get vaccinated asap. As an elder with extras, I would be happy to step aside for a ski patroller.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:28 AM   #37
ApS

Arrow Get in Line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
The latest I've heard on the Covid Vaccines is that the entire stock of it is to be released and will go to anyone in any State who is age 65 or over. This is supposed to begin immediately. My guess is that this is great news for a lot of folks....
Now we've got "Vaccination Tourism"...

Quote:
"Ana Rosenfeld, a 66-year-old lawyer in Buenos Aires, took advantage of a trip to visit her daughter and new grandson in Miami to get a vaccination. At a vaccination site in Tampa, she said she provided her passport as identification and proof of travel health insurance."

--WSJ
Old 01-15-2021, 08:01 AM   #38
fatlazyless

Between vaccinating Ana from Argentina or having that dose of Covid-cure lose its' potency in that Miami heat ....... vaccinating Ana was a very correct and appropriate decision for the hard working medical people in Miami to do ....... it can be argued. ...
Old 01-15-2021, 08:45 AM   #39
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Between vaccinating Ana from Argentina or having that dose of Covid-cure lose its' potency in that Miami heat ....... vaccinating Ana was a very correct and appropriate decision for the hard working medical people in Miami to do ....... it can be argued. ...
Money talks.

The article states that she was able to find a vaccine in a town near Tampa. How did she find one? I live in a town near Tampa and people have been frantic to get a vaccine. Many have signed up in multiple counties, willing to drive anywhere at their chance for a vaccine. We have had seniors standing in long lines overnight. I know there are circumstances where the vaccine was being thrown out, but this was not the case certainly.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #40
fatlazyless

Does Ana from Argentina play any tennis? .....

Hey ANA ....... how's your TENNIS GAME???? .....

Oh well ...... who knows ..... but what the heck ..... this vaccination system has had some start-up issues ..... but things will only get better and better-er ... just like Roger Federer.

You know, for $9.95, shipping included from Staten Island, I got myself what seems like a very respiratory fitting N95-3M mask on ebay. It seems like it is more protective than the very good quality Hanes cotton mask from Walmart.

So, just stay calm ...... and wear a good mask ...... or, wear two masks, one under the other for better protection.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-15-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #41
Susie Cougar

I believe everyone 65 years old and older in New Hampshire will be able to sign up for the vaccine starting on January 22. Hopefully, within a month everyone should have been vaccinated.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:03 PM   #42
Lakegeezer

Default Maybe by April?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I believe everyone 65 years old and older in New Hampshire will be able to sign up for the vaccine starting on January 22. Hopefully, within a month everyone should have been vaccinated.
This is great news. I listened to some of the Gov's announcement yesterday and he mentioned there will be a web site to sign up for an appointment as of January 22. He also said appointments could be five weeks out. If you add the five to six weeks it takes to get the second dose and build up the immunity, we're talking mid April before the people in this phase are fully protected. Hopefully the signup process, supply and delivery into arms will flow smoothly.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:11 PM   #43
ApS

Question "We're All In This Together"?

Make mine a paper passport... Maybe a tattoo?

Quote:
"A coalition of health and technology organizations are working to develop a digital COVID-19 vaccination passport to allow businesses, airlines and countries to check if people have received the vaccine.

The initiative, which includes members like Microsoft, Oracle and U.S. nonprofit Mayo Clinic, is using the work from member Commons Project’s international digital document..."
Old 01-17-2021, 03:27 AM   #44
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

For too many, the vaccine was too late. My mother-in-law passed away earlier this morning after testing positive just a few days ago on Wednesday.

For some, there are minimal effects. For many, it's a death sentence.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 01-17-2021, 03:49 AM   #45
fatlazyless

Holy smokes ...... that's totally terrible! ......so in a time period of five fast days, she went from relatively healthy lungs to lungs unable to inhale and exhale?

Am very sorry for your loss as it must be a very, very difficult time.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:09 AM   #46
thinkxingu

Quote:
Holy smokes ...... that's totally terrible! ......so in a time period of five fast days, she went from relatively healthy lungs to lungs unable to inhale and exhale?

Am very sorry for your loss as it must be a very, very difficult time.
What many people are missing about this is the wide range of effects it can have. It appears that cardiac arrest as a result of oxygenation issues is not uncommon and, given the nature of spreading the virus, resuscitation is rarely pursued. Add a DNR and, well, coming back from cardiac arrest is very low.

Old 01-17-2021, 05:01 AM   #47
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
For too many, the vaccine was too late. My mother-in-law passed away earlier this morning after testing positive just a few days ago on Wednesday.

Sorry for your loss Think.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:36 AM   #48
Susie Cougar

Quote:

I am so very sorry for you, think.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:01 AM   #49
Newbiesaukee

My condolences to you and your family,

Old 01-17-2021, 08:11 AM   #50
gillygirl

Sorry for your loss, think.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 01-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #51
thinkxingu

Thanks, friends—I've been very fortunate to not have been affected by the pandemic much beyond my classroom and a few friends who have experienced mostly minor symptoms. This being so close, and so quick, is jarring—with both my parents, I had time to say goodbye and have closure. This went from "I could use some Pedialyte" at 10 AM yesterday to cardiac arrest at 3 AM this morning.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #52
FlyingScot

Quote:

So sorry for your loss, Think. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #53
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:

So sorry for your loss! Covid-19 is a very cruel disease and really shows the need for Vaccine relief all over the world.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #54
mswlogo

Quote:
What many people are missing about this is the wide range of effects it can have. It appears that cardiac arrest as a result of oxygenation issues is not uncommon and, given the nature of spreading the virus, resuscitation is rarely pursued. Add a DNR and, well, coming back from cardiac arrest is very low.

Yeah, there are all sorts of problems people have. My Aunt has cardiac issues with COVID too. She had a heart attack and didn't know it, just difficult breathing at night.

Even people that have "Recovered" can also have new chronic issues.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I heard on the radio that India is targeting 300 million vaccinated by July. It will take 2 YEARS to vaccinate their 1.5 billion population. And yes, that's a problem for us because it may mutate over such a long period and the vaccine could be no longer effective.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #55
Sue Doe-Nym

Think, that is very sad news about your mother in law...condolences to you and your family.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #56
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Condolences

Condolences to you and your family, Thinkxingu. At the same time, we appreciate your sharing some detail so that we all better understand what we're up against.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #57
Sue Doe-Nym

Yes, thank you for demonstrating the seriousness of the disease. We are booked on a flight to Florida shortly, and my sensible side says to reschedule until we get the vaccine. Better to freeze our derrières up here than to take the chance in airports, planes, rental cars, over 75, with one lung cancer survivor. To me, it’s a no brainer, but I have to convince my other half that we should postpone.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:21 PM   #58
tis

Think, how awful! I am very sorry!
Old 01-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #59
tummyman

So, you could make the trip with no issues, or one or both of you could get sick in Florida away from your doctors, or one of you could really get sick in Florida, or one or both of you could end up with an even worse outcome. Agree...no brainer. Stay home, get the shot ASAP. Even after getting the shot, you need the second one and it will probably take 60 days to get full protection. Virus raging in many places, new strains popping up. What about this idea of going to Florida now makes sense? Good luck with grumpy !
Old 01-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #60
LoveLakeLife

That’s horrible Think. Sincere condolences from all on here I’m sure.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #61
Pricestavern

Default Virus

So sorry to hear that, Think. Our thoughts are with you.

We just tested positive for the virus ourselves this week, even after trying to be very careful. We have headaches and fatigue but so far that's about it. We are very, very lucky. Our neighbors are having a more difficult time of it with muscle aches, chest congestion, lack of taste/smell. My uncle died of it in April.

This is no joke people. Please take care of yourselves and please care for those around you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-19-2021), Sue Doe-Nym (01-17-2021), thinkxingu (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #62
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Yes, thank you for demonstrating the seriousness of the disease. We are booked on a flight to Florida shortly, and my sensible side says to reschedule until we get the vaccine. Better to freeze our derrières up here than to take the chance in airports, planes, rental cars, over 75, with one lung cancer survivor. To me, it’s a no brainer, but I have to convince my other half that we should postpone.
I don't think there is any question about rescheduling. Just think of all the various exposure points you'll subject yourselves to on your trip to Florida.....

Don't risk it. Get your Vaccine shots when you can, and plan to take a longer trip next time around. Think of the money you'll save this year!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (01-18-2021), Sue Doe-Nym (01-17-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #63
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Condolences to you and your family, Thinkxingu. At the same time, we appreciate your sharing some detail so that we all better understand what we're up against.
Well stated!

Think- condolences to you and your family.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:48 PM   #64
ApS

Arrow "Distribution" Good. "Administration"...Not So Much...

Quote:
You having to ask is the problem most are having with distribution of the vaccine.
New York is among the worst, but North Dakota has taken the vaccination lead among all the states:
Quote:
"North Dakota has emerged as America's unlikely leader in the battle against COVID-19, leading the nation in the vaccine rollout and battling back from being the worst coronavirus hotspot in the nation with an 80 percent decline in active cases since mid-November.

"Only a little over 14 million Americans have been vaccinated against COVID-19 as of Monday morning, and only about 54 percent of vaccine doses distributed to states have been administered to people, according to data from Bloomberg.

"But while some states like California are floundering, using a meager 37 percent of doses distributed to it, North Dakota is flying through the doses sent to it by the federal government, using 78 percent of its allotted doses and vaccinating just shy of seven percent of its vaccine doses".
—The Daily Mail (excerpt)
Old 01-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #65
Pricestavern

Default 2 Million per Day

To rollout the vaccine to 1 million people per day, which would provide the majority of people with the shot by end of September (+/-), they will need to actually inoculate 2 MILLION people per day. If a second shot is needed, then to get a million new people vaccinated, you'll also need to be giving the other 1 million people getting their second shot at the same time as those getting their first.

This is going to be a huge effort. The planning and logistics will be something akin to a major WWII battle requiring huge amounts of state and federal resources.

Fingers crossed!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 09:37 AM   #66
fatlazyless

At the speed of vaccination this country has been going, up to now, the cows ..... http://www.beef2live.com/story-cattl...state-0-114255 ...... will get vaccinated before the humans ........ mmmooooo!

So, just remain calm and wear a good mask, or wear two masks, one under the other.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #67
WinnisquamZ

Mass just dropped their stay at home order. Funny how the numbers have declined in just 24 hours. Hopefully, NH does the same this afternoon

Old 01-21-2021, 09:28 PM   #68
gravy boat

Quote:
Mass just dropped their stay at home order. Funny how the numbers have declined in just 24 hours. Hopefully, NH does the same this afternoon

Even Cuomo has miraculously had a change of heart... On Jan 11:

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said Monday that the state must start reopening its economy despite most New Yorkers not having received a coronavirus vaccination, saying that there will be “nothing left to open” otherwise.

“We simply cannot stay closed until the vaccine hits critical mass. The cost is too high,” Cuomo wrote in a tweet Monday morning.

“We will have nothing left to open. We must reopen the economy, but we must do it smartly and safely,” the Democratic governor added.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:38 AM   #69
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:

Miraculous! And would you believe this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nas...21-01-21%3famp

Who could have ever guessed that this would happen 1 day after inauguration day ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (01-23-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #70
Sue Doe-Nym

Very frustrating....busy busy busy. We have both been going nuts, trying phone and computer. Absolutely nonsensical....you are not on hold, as advertised, but get a busy signal. We knew this would happen.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:28 AM   #71
Buffalo Gal

Default I registered

It took about 10 minutes of re-loading the page but I was able to get into website. Fairly easy questions. The best part was that it allows you to add a spouse at the same time, which is VERY helpful. No appointment yet, they will notify me by email when we are scheduled. So I still have to wait....
Old 01-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #72
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Gal View Post
It took about 10 minutes of re-loading the page but I was able to get into website. Fairly easy questions. The best part was that it allows you to add a spouse at the same time, which is VERY helpful. No appointment yet, they will notify me by email when we are scheduled. So I still have to wait....
BG, what page, exactly? We have been trying and trying....doesn’t accept our info.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #73
GregW11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
BG, what page, exactly? We have been trying and trying....doesn’t accept our info.
I used vaccines.nh.gov successfully. The site struggled for awhile - I’m sure the traffic is immense. There’s a big button right on that page that leads you directly into the registration process.

The Following User Says Thank You to GregW11 For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #74
Buffalo Gal

The website is: https://vaccines.nh.gov

Or go to WMUR website and the link is also there. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #75
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Gal View Post
The website is: https://vaccines.nh.gov

Or go to WMUR website and the link is also there. Good luck!
Thanks! It finally accepted our info. I need to work on “ patience “.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:46 AM   #76
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Only complaint

Our only complaint was entering our DOB. When you click on the box, it brings up a Jan 2021 page. At least on my Samsung tablet and my wife's iPad, we then had to scroll back through up to almost 75 years of months to get to our respective month and year page(less for my bride and I'm sworn to secrecy on that) . Sure would be easier to have the box with "xx/xx/xxxx" to where you can type in the numbers.

Other than that, so far so good. We will wait a time with patience to see how the rest of the process works.

Dave
Old 01-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #77
tummyman

We also got on but had trouble at 8am exactly. Suspect the site went "live" a little late. One thing that might really help the process is if they could also provide online the form that you need to fill out at the vaccine site. People could prefill it out at home and bring it. Might really help to speed things up.

After we got registered, message said they would get back to us in 3-5 days.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #78
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Our only complaint was entering our DOB. When you click on the box, it brings up a Jan 2021 page. At least on my Samsung tablet and my wife's iPad, we then had to scroll back through up to almost 75 years of months to get to our respective month and year page(less for my bride and I'm sworn to secrecy on that) . Sure would be easier to have the box with "xx/xx/xxxx" to where you can type in the numbers.

Other than that, so far so good. We will wait a time with patience to see how the rest of the process works.

Dave
I was on at 8:00 with an Android tab running off a cell hotspot. Couldn't get past the reCaptcha although I got a green check mark on it. Kept getting the message "verification expired" I also had a hard time with DOB. Started scrolling back 21 years (yeah, right) when I stopped and realized you can just click in the date field and enter you DOB. Anyway, gave up on that and went to my laptop running off the same hotspot and had no problem. Go figure.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
The Following User Says Thank You to bobkatfly For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #79
bobkatfly

Default Vaccination locations

Anyone know where the closest location is around the lake? I think I read somewhere that Tamworth, near the DMV off rt16 is the closest.

Edit. Found this. https://www.governor.nh.gov/news-and...care-providers

Looks like Laconia, Plymouth and Tamworth unless other sites open.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #80
winniplayhouse

Congrats to everyone who registered this morning! How wonderful! Keep those of us not yet eligible updated on how the process goes for you.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #81
Pine Island Guy

Default easy and efficient!

I logged in this morning about 10am using my laptop. The website performance was fine, and the app easy to use (on a laptop). When I finished, the message was that I would receive an email in 3-5 days... 20 minutes later I had the email, went through that app (a lot of the same questions, and performance was fine).

At the end, entered my zipcode (Portsmouth), and showed me that the closest spot was the Dover bus terminal (I had assumed it would be Pease), and they had appointments starting at 11am every 10 minutes through the afternoon. I booked in at 12:40, drove up and greeted by a National Guard team, they checked my info, drove around to the other side of the building, another National Guard team greeted me, rolled down my car window, rolled up my sleeve, shot my arm, and directed my to the other side of the parking lot... they make you wait 15 minutes to ensure you're ok, and then off I drove!

It couldn't have been easier or any better handled!! -PIG

ice ice ice
The Following User Says Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post:
Flylady (01-23-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #82
TheVoiceOfReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
Anyone know where the closest location is around the lake? I think I read somewhere that Tamworth, near the DMV off rt16 is the closest.

Edit. Found this. https://www.governor.nh.gov/news-and...care-providers

Looks like Laconia, Plymouth and Tamworth unless other sites open.
Fairly certain that the Laconia site will be hosted at Lakes Region Community College.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #83
winniplayhouse

Pine Island Guy...

Did the email that you received to do the actual scheduling come from VAMS? My parents got that today and are trying to confirm that’s the legit registration email. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2021, 10:41 PM   #84
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniplayhouse View Post
Pine Island Guy...

Did the email that you received to do the actual scheduling come from VAMS? My parents got that today and are trying to confirm that’s the legit registration email. Thanks!
I registered this am and just got my VAMS. It freaked me a little as it was from. CDC, not NH; but I filled it out and got my appointment.

OTOH, when I registered this am it said I could also register my wife, but no way to do this on VAMS so she will have to do it separately. Bummer.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:29 PM   #85
tummyman

Newbie.....did you fill out a form for your wife this am ?? If so, call the hotline tomorrow....2-1-1 and maybe they can answer whether she can also go at the same time as you. Must be a way....I would call them first.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:43 AM   #86
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Newbie.....did you fill out a form for your wife this am ?? If so, call the hotline tomorrow....2-1-1 and maybe they can answer whether she can also go at the same time as you. Must be a way....I would call them first.
Two hours AFTER I got my appointment, I got another email with instructions and “tips” to use to make an appointment, which I had just done. Included in these instructions was the comment that if a spouse had filled out the earlier qualifying pre registration form, then she could come with me for my appointment without filling anything else at this time.

Better late than never, so she can come with me for the vaccine. But there were a few confusing hours.

But I am impressed, so far, with the ease and speed of the process.

Old 01-23-2021, 06:02 AM   #87
DEJ

Default Which Vaccine

​​​​Curious which vaccine is being administered, Pfizer or Moderna?
Old 01-23-2021, 07:28 AM   #88
Pine Island Guy

Default Vams

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniplayhouse View Post
Pine Island Guy...

Yes, once you register at vaccines.nh.gov, the appointment is set up with VAMS

and the vaccine I received was Pfizer

Arm is a little sore this morning, but that's it!

Ice is starting to look promising -PIG
The Following User Says Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post:
winniplayhouse (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 08:07 AM   #89
ApS

Question Trending Pfizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
​​​​Curious which vaccine is being administered, Pfizer or Moderna?
Thousands of delicate Moderna vaccines have been thrown out in Maine and Massachusetts, due to handling errors.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #90
Lakegeezer

Default Can protected people be contagious

Got my appt this morning too, at the Plymouth Armory. Its good to be a geezer. On the VAMs system, it had a priority category for "living with or caring for someone over 65". NH didn't have this option, so while I will be protected, my younger wife won't. That begs the question, can protected people still transmit it to others. The official word is "it could, we don't know". Time to search the internet to find out who is doing research on that question. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #91
bobkatfly

Quote:
I registered this am and just got my VAMS. It freaked me a little as it was from. CDC, not NH; but I filled it out and got my appointment.

OTOH, when I registered this am it said I could also register my wife, but no way to do this on VAMS so she will have to do it separately. Bummer.
I registered yesterday with my wife at the same time like you did. Today I got my appointment registration from vams.cdc.gov. it was in my name only. Again, like you. I also received an e-mail from nh.gov with good directions for filling out the registration with vams. The directions clearly indicate that if you originally registered with another family member at the same time then no other appointment is needed. Just show up with the other member and you'll be all set. You must bring the scan code that they send you for identification. Here's what I received from nh.gov. See number 3.

Thank you for completing the first step and registering to receive your COVID-19 vaccine. In the coming days, you will receive another email containing a link to schedule your vaccination appointment using the federal Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) Vaccine Administration Management System (VAMS).

The next step using CDC’s scheduling system can be a bit confusing, so the following helpful tips are designed to help you prepare and simplify the process when it comes time for you to schedule your appointment:

1. Please do not use Internet Explorer – instead use Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari only.

2. The VAMS email will contain a link to schedule your appointment. Upon clicking that link, you will be asked. “Have you already registered as a vaccine recipient with VAMS?”. Please be sure to answer “no”.

3. If you registered a qualifying household member along with yourself (ie. spouse) to receive the vaccine at the same time, additional information will not be asked for or required when you schedule your appointment. Just arrive with your qualifying family member.

Also,
• The “Date of Birth” field can only be entered in the MMM DD, YYYY format, for example: Jan 01, 1950.
• When selecting “Race”, you must move at least one of the options from the left box to the right box.
• You DO NOT need to enter any insurance information. This is an optional field and you can simply click the next button to move to the Organization section.
• When asked about “organization”, you can leave the Role/Position field empty.
• When scheduling your vaccination appointment, enter your zip code, select a radius option and click the “search” button to find the closest vaccination location.
• When it comes time to pick a location, only select a “State of NH” site. DO NOT select a clinic or closed POD unless you were specifically instructed to do so.
• Once your appointment is scheduled, you will see a confirmation page AND receive a confirmation email. Be sure to complete the pre-vaccination questionnaire before coming to the vaccination site, this will help to speed up your appointment and reduce delays.

Again, please expect to receive another email directly from the federal CDC VAMS system containing a link to schedule your appointment.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #92
bobkatfly

Default Huggins hospital

After registering I found that Huggins hospital in Wolfeboro is also a vaccination site, however the first open slot was Feb 28. Laconia was Feb 11 so I chose that. Didn't see Tamworth as available. Not sure why.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #93
bobkatfly

Quote:
Two hours AFTER I got my appointment, I got another email with instructions and “tips” to use to make an appointment, which I had just done. Included in these instructions was the comment that if a spouse had filled out the earlier qualifying pre registration form, then she could come with me for my appointment without filling anything else at this time.

Better late than never, so she can come with me for the vaccine. But there were a few confusing hours.

But I am impressed, so far, with the ease and speed of the process.
Newbie, didn't see your post this morning so my last reply to you was a bit rushed as you obviously already had the info I sent.

Newbiesaukee (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #94
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Scheduled this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
After registering I found that Huggins hospital in Wolfeboro is also a vaccination site, however the first open slot was Feb 28. Laconia was Feb 11 so I chose that. Didn't see Tamworth as available. Not sure why.
This morning at about 730 or so, we also scheduled for Huggins and the earliest date was Feb 19 th around noon. We both got our confirmations, and have our QR codes on our homepage on our phones. Woo hoo.

Dave
Old 01-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #95
bobkatfly

Quote:
This morning at about 730 or so, we also scheduled for Huggins and the earliest date was Feb 19 th around noon. We both got our confirmations, and have our QR codes on our homepage on our phones. Woo hoo.

Dave
Ah, so you're the one that bumped me out to the 28th.

upthesaukee (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #96
Steveo

Default How to get 2nd shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post
I logged in this morning about 10am using my laptop. The website performance was fine, and the app easy to use (on a laptop). When I finished, the message was that I would receive an email in 3-5 days... 20 minutes later I had the email, went through that app (a lot of the same questions, and performance was fine).

At the end, entered my zipcode (Portsmouth), and showed me that the closest spot was the Dover bus terminal (I had assumed it would be Pease), and they had appointments starting at 11am every 10 minutes through the afternoon. I booked in at 12:40, drove up and greeted by a National Guard team, they checked my info, drove around to the other side of the building, another National Guard team greeted me, rolled down my car window, rolled up my sleeve, shot my arm, and directed my to the other side of the parking lot... they make you wait 15 minutes to ensure you're ok, and then off I drove!

It couldn't have been easier or any better handled!! -PIG

ice ice ice
Did they tell you how to sign up for your second shot?
Old 01-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #97
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We received the CDC email overnight and clicked on the link at about 6 am this morning. The companion email from "no-reply@onsolve.com" was very helpful in providing guidance on filling out the CDC forms. We did get appointments for Feb 3rd in Laconia which is great.

I was initially thinking that the two emails were a scam so I came here and saw Newbie's posts of last night and early morning today indicating that the CDC email was for real. I did appreciate that heads-up.

Alan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (01-23-2021), upthesaukee (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #98
tummyman

For those who have already gotten a shot, please pass on he following:

Where did you get the "shot" ?

What vaccine did you get ?

What info did you get about the second "shot" and how do you schedule that appointment?

This info would be really appreciated. And folks, keep sending along your input as it will help us all.

We are scheduled for Feb.2 in Plymouth at the Nat'l Guard Armory.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:11 PM   #99
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Thanks!

Quote:

Dave
So, how/where did you sign up at Huggins?
Old 01-23-2021, 05:06 PM   #100
winni83

We have Huggins on January 28th. Got the Vams E Mail last night around 10 PM. Immediately went on line and Huggins was one of the choices. We figured that while the risk of an adverse reaction may be low, better to be at a hospital site. No idea who administers the shot.

Good Luck.