Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #101
garysanfran

Default One-Way Aisles...

The Safeway markets in California have implemented one-way aisles. Painted arrows on the floor provide the guidance and 6' distancing remains.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #102
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
The Safeway markets in California have implemented one-way aisles. Painted arrows on the floor provide the guidance and 6' distancing remains.
My Market Basket has that too, but I did not notice right away.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #103
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
My Market Basket has that too, but I did not notice right away.
So... did your basket end up looking like FLL's car?
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #104
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

At Hanniford in Meredith on Saturday there was somebody walking around in there with a ski mask on, the thought crossed my mind... is this guy for real or here to rob the place?!?
Old 04-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #105
Wifi-1

Default Heaths meat sale

Called the store, they said no more meat sales till probably late in the fall. Don't blame them, there would probably be fist fights in the isles, LOL
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #106
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
So... did your basket end up looking like FLL's car?
Still LMAO over that one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (04-07-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 10:11 PM   #107
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Hannafords Gilford does this now too, if you don’t know when u start it’s like a maze...
Old 04-07-2020, 01:52 AM   #108
ApS

Arrow Face Masks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
At Hanniford in Meredith on Saturday there was somebody walking around in there with a ski mask on, the thought crossed my mind... is this guy for real or here to rob the place?!?
Sent by a friend...

What the US military is recommending for face masks--including the number of layers:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...ce-mask-rules/
Old 04-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #109
Paugus Bay Resident

Been using Instacart for the past 3 weeks. It's been great, a few substitutions here and there. They cover Demoulas, Shaws, BJs and CVS. A little bit pricey and I do miss going to the store (surprisingly), but a good alternative.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:21 PM   #110
Lakegeezer

Default Walmart Grocery Pickup

We just returned from Walmart grocery pickup in Plymouth. It worked out great. They have a nice mobile app that lets you select what you want, alerts you when it is ready and tracks your arrival so they can bring it out. The only pain was having to get up early a day before (like 5AM) to get a delivery slot. When we pulled in, there was only one other car and our groceries came out within a few minutes. The quality of the fresh produce was great. It felt much safer than walking the isles and standing at the register. We'll be back.
Flylady (04-12-2020), SimpleTL (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #111
The Real BigGuy

I’m surprised more stores haven’t installed cough shields in front of the checkout people. My brother in law was required by State of CT to do it at his liquor store.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #112
NH.Solar

I was at the exit 20 Demoulas in Tilton this AM during their special old poopies hours and the procedures they had in place made what could be considered a bit scary just fine. Almost all of the clients entering the store had masks on and seemed to respect the spacing recommendations. There was a momentary delay getting in but it really wasn't an issue. The staff was as always polite and friendly ...but surprisingly none seemed to wear masks??
Old 04-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #113
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
I was at the exit 20 Demoulas in Tilton this AM during their special old poopies hours and the procedures they had in place made what could be considered a bit scary just fine. Almost all of the clients entering the store had masks on and seemed to respect the spacing recommendations. There was a momentary delay getting in but it really wasn't an issue. The staff was as always polite and friendly ...but surprisingly none seemed to wear masks??
Was there enforced 6-foot distancing at the cash register?

How many people were waiting between 6:00 and 7:00?

Any empty shelves or missing products?
Old 04-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #114
NH.Solar

Yes, there was a 6' setback marked at the checkout and additionally there were stacks of goods between the rows.
There really wasn't a wait outside but there was a well spoken fellow delaying everyone for just a few minutes as he explained how MB wishes our visit would go. Inside I would say that the conditions were steady and busy but never really crowded. Still it was surprising to see so many folks there just after 6 am and the staff mentioned that Tuesday was proving to be far busier than Monday, I suspect that this trend will continue for the immediate future. When I left just after 7 a much younger crowd was coming in ...and there were far fewer face masks. I've never been afraid of getting down and dirty but when it comes to a plague like this I think that caution and consideration for others should definitely take presidence over vanity or inconvenience. My next visit to Demoulas will definitely be during their early S S citizen hours.

Here I would like to offer my sincere thanks to the Demoulas family and the Market Basket employees for doing their best to mitigate any issues during these very troubling times, Bravo!
...and oh yeah, the stock level was fairly good but you only get one package of TP per visit
Old 04-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #115
Mr. V

Quote:
I've never been afraid of getting down and dirty but when it comes to a plague like this
Whoa!

Codex-19 is NOT a "plague."

Plague is disease caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis.

We have all heard of the bubonic plague, which was caused by rats infested with Yersinia pestis.

Codex-19 is caused by a virus:big difference.

Let's not fan the flames of fear with fuzzy thinking.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #116
Barney Bear

Default Only One Roll

Bummer!!!!
Old 04-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #117
Givemethewholeclam

Default Market Basket/Rochester

We got there around 7:00 AM. There was no line to get in. 75% of the people I saw shopping had masks. Very little TP, just single rolls. There was a clerk there telling people thy could take up to 4. Most of what I needed could not be found there but I understand... Went to Hannaford and they had almost everything we needed.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #118
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I got one of those a few weeks ago. It works great and yes- you use a lot less toilet paper.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #119
Wifi-1

Corn cobs, takes care of the itching from below
Old 04-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #120
mishman

Default Hannaford - why no masks?!!!

Just shopped at Hannaford in Guilford. While some stocking staff were wearing masks, none of the cashiers and baggers were. What gives Hannaford?! You are missing the boat here. It is a courtesy to your shoppers (the majority of whom were wearing masks). Get with it!
Old 04-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #121
rick35

We went shopping at Hannaford in Bedford yesterday and I was shocked to see cashiers and baggers not wearing masks and gloves. Yeah, what gives Hannaford’s?
Old 04-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #122
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
Here I would like to offer my sincere thanks to the Demoulas family and the Market Basket employees for doing their best to mitigate any issues during these very troubling times, Bravo!
...and oh yeah, the stock level was fairly good but you only get one package of TP per visit
Thank you for posting more details about your visit---very helpful.
Personally, I'm disappointed in Market Basket's very late response to COVID-19. They were waiting for the state or federal government to order them to enforce social distancing. When government leadership is lacking, we still need to do what is obviously needed. In his early orders Sununu was essentially saying, "You can't congregate by the dozens in bars because it's dangerous, but it's OK to congregate by the hundreds in grocery stores."

The lack of common sense during this crisis is distressing. One of the biggest lessons here is to take precautions BEFORE a crisis overwhelms us, not at the moment when things are getting bad. There was never a reason to believe that what was happening in China wasn't going to make its way around the world, or that the virus wasn't going to move from New York and Boston to New Hampshire.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:45 AM   #123
ApS

Arrow Could Use These Here...

California legalizes robot delivery service:

https://jalopnik.com/nuros-grocery-r...-on-1842735323
Old 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #124
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Sports fans- Triple double?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Thank you for posting more details about your visit---very helpful.
Personally, I'm disappointed in Market Basket's very late response to COVID-19. They were waiting for the state or federal government to order them to enforce social distancing. When government leadership is lacking, we still need to do what is obviously needed. In his early orders Sununu was essentially saying, "You can't congregate by the dozens in bars because it's dangerous, but it's OK to congregate by the hundreds in grocery stores."

The lack of common sense during this crisis is distressing. One of the biggest lessons here is to take precautions BEFORE a crisis overwhelms us, not at the moment when things are getting bad. There was never a reason to believe that what was happening in China wasn't going to make its way around the world, or that the virus wasn't going to move from New York and Boston to New Hampshire.
It seems that somewhere in your final paragraph- you have achieved the triple-double (negative). Hall of fame bound?
Old 04-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #125
Newbiesaukee

We used Instacart for the first time yesterday. The supermarket used is Shaw’s. No question...it is expensive, but if it can save trips to grocery it is worth it to us.

We live on Long Island, placed the order yesterday morning and delivered to us yesterday afternoon. The shopper was in txt contact as he shopped and gave options if what we ordered was not available. We were very impressed. Friends in other states have had varied experiences.

Everything we ordered, we got.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 04-13-2020, 12:16 PM   #126
fatlazyless

Default ..... NH state liquor-Wolfeboro

Heard it through the grapevine that Wolfeboro state liquor got closed about a week ago because its' workers were scared to work there during the coronavirus scare?

Any one know if that's the reason and is Wolfeboro state liquor really closed?

Looks like the announced plan for state liquor to stay open with outdoor service where you place your order at the front door, or something, was switched to limiting the number of customers allowed inside the store.

Some states like Pennsylvania have totally closed their Pennsylvania state liquor stores, but here in NH, state liquor is essential. Probably, one big reason that NH state liquor is essential is the big revenue it brings in for the State of NH.

So, coronavirus or no coronavirus, seems like the great majority of our 77-NH states liquors are open for business, and ready to serve ...... here, here! ...... cheers and good health to you ...... so, bottoms up!
Old 04-13-2020, 01:07 PM   #127
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Instacart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
We used Instacart for the first time yesterday. The supermarket used is Shaw’s. No question...it is expensive, but if it can save trips to grocery it is worth it to us.

We live on Long Island, placed the order yesterday morning and delivered to us yesterday afternoon. The shopper was in txt contact as he shopped and gave options if what we ordered was not available. We were very impressed. Friends in other states have had varied experiences.

Everything we ordered, we got.
Good to know. I appreciate hearing of personal experience. The only fee I saw online was the membership($99/year), and you tip the shopper. Is there more? Say, a mileage or time charge?
Old 04-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #128
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Good to know. I appreciate hearing of personal experience. The only fee I saw online was the membership($99/year), and you tip the shopper. Is there more? Say, a mileage or time charge?
Honestly, I did not see the yearly fee...ours was per order and $3.99 delivery fee and $9 or so service charge and what ever tip u want. Our pre tip was about $185. There were options for free delivery but it was a little confusing and the first time we tried it and we are a long way from Shaw’s. Sorry can’t be more specific...we were just excited it worked and will pay more attention next time. Obviously we left a more than usual tip.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 04-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #129
Paugus Bay Resident

We've been using Instacart for a while, so I can shed some light on fees, etc. For us, they cover Shaws, Demoulas, BJs, Petco and CVS. We've used all but Petco and CVS.

You can either sign up monthly or annually for their service ($9.95 / month) or pay a delivery charge. If you sign up for the service, the waive the normal delivery fee and give you prioritized service.

You pick from a catalog for the specific store. They list everything the store has and they do charge an uplift for each item. So, if you'd normally pay $1.00 at the store, you may pay $1.10, it varies. We usually get 90% of what we order, the rest are substitutes or not in stock. You can text with the shopper when they're in the store and make any changes, approve substitutions, etc.

Overall, we've be very happy, usually get our order same day or next day. I'd say the increased cost, including the tip is around 25-30%, but since we're not in the store impulse buying , seems to come out about the same.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paugus Bay Resident For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-15-2020), Descant (04-15-2020), ishoot308 (04-13-2020), Newbiesaukee (04-13-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #130
radioman

Default groceries

My wife and I just returned from Heaths in Ctr. Harb. No lines, no hassle, and well stocked.Well worth the trip from Gilford and as usual, a little more expensive Time was 1:PM,
The Following User Says Thank You to radioman For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #131
Sue Doe-Nym

It’s good to know that Heath is still giving its normal service. Over the years they have been extremely generous in their support of community groups and projects, and that means a lot. Wandering off a bit, has Market Basket in Plymouth opened yet? I thought they were aiming for late 2019.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #132
TheProfessor

Just a tidbit of information.

The largest pork producer in USA has closed. Too many employees out.

On the tele, some farmers are re-tilling their crops. As restaurants are not ordering. So too much excess crops.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #133
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
It seems that somewhere in your final paragraph- you have achieved the triple-double (negative). Hall of fame bound?
I don't have no comment on that, I don't think.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-23-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #134
fatlazyless

The new Market Basket in Plymouth on Tenney Mt Hgwy is closed and has signs in the windows that say 'Opening Soon.'

Meanwhile, just up the road there, there's the Walmart, a store where you can buy a bright red 10" table saw with a 4-leg stand for about $135 and a 12-pak of French Roast k-cup coffee for $3.92 ....... in the same store ...... how great is that!

Looks like my $600 gov stimulus check landed for me, just like Social Security, and I immediately spent $29.95 on a large, yellow Forsythia bush at a local store that will remain unnamed except it starts with the letters Wal. ....

Isn't a Forsythia a very adaptable shrub that's almost like a weed and can grow in spots that will not support many other shrubs and small trees.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #135
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I don't have no comment on that, I don't think.
I can't say I don't think that is a good one!
Old 04-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #136
fatlazyless

Wink .... hit the courts with a bottle of Jack?

Here's hop'n this is the correct thread for my incredible insightful comments.

So's that state liquor store over in Gilford is still open while the stores in Center Harbor and Wolfeboro have had to close due to no employees wanting to work, which is perfectly ok with me.

And, the public tennis courts in Gilford that are behind the high school have been closed for public health, social distancing reasons.

Dang it all, I was looking forward to hitting those Gilford courts after stopping to pick up a bottle of Jack except now that plan can't happen?
Old 04-15-2020, 08:53 PM   #137
fatlazyless

As of yesterday, Heath's in Center Harbor had about four very large case display boxes of toilet paper, www.marcalpaper.com, selling for $1.29/roll, limit two single rolls/customer, and it was just sitting on the shelf with no interested buyers.

So toilet paper was not flying off the shelf ..... apparently, it lost its mega appeal ...... like how can that be ....... it was real toilet paper?
Old 04-22-2020, 05:29 AM   #138
fatlazyless

Default ...... tie dye bandana faces masks from The Edge

So, what is the smart shopper wearing during the current C-19, coronavirus pandemic?

Gov Sununu has strongly recommended everyone wear face masks for now while inside the grocery store, and www.theedgetiedye.com in Center Harbor has excellent quality, all cotton, tie dye bandanas for five dollars that are to die for ....... ha-ha-ha ..... ho-ho-ho ..... get it ..... tie dye ..... to die for .... probably a wee bit inappropriate here!

Also, same tie dye bandanas, made by The Edge, are sold at Heath's Hardware store for the same five bucks ....... and after the virus leaves town .... you will still be here and can use your bandana for fishing that big lake and as a pandemic keep sake.

Highest quality, five dollars, 100% cotton, many many different tie dye designs from low contrast color to high contrast colors .... sold at the hardware store in Center Harbor.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #139
SailinAway

Market Basket Tilton, this Tuesday, 6:00 a.m.: There were about 30 people waiting to get in at 6:00 a.m. The majority were wearing masks. Most were respecting the 6-foot rule. When I left at 7:45 the parking lot wasn't crowded, so things have calmed down since mid March.

The problem: I only saw one store employee wearing a mask, an older woman. As I was inspecting the beef case, the meat guy came out of the butchering room, leaned over the case within a couple of feet of me, and began sniffing and coughing, with no mask. I beat a hasty retreat. I watched him for several minutes and he continued with the sniffing and coughing. Seasonal allergies? Doesn't matter---he could be an unidentified carrier of the virus.

Market Basket really seems to be lagging behind public safety and employee safety. They've been lagging since the beginning of the crisis. I'm probably going to switch to Hannaford.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #140
Paugus Bay Resident

Hannaford's pickup is back in business, but they're only assigning slots 1 day in advance. I as up at 5:30 am and got a slot for tomorrow, so the early bird gets the slot
Old 04-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #141
fatlazyless

As of Monday, April 20, Walmart requires all its employees to wear face masks.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/walmart-...es-face-masks/

As the employer with the most employees in the U.S. that will probably expand the wear-a-mask message, and send that thought coast to coast, even to Route 109 in Moultonborough.
winnienox (04-29-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #142
ApS

Lightbulb For Those Old-Fashioned Holders, and Bulky Rolls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
The thief is on a roll.

Thanks for that charmin story.
Charmin will send you free wall mounted roll extender. Pops-in in seconds:

https://charminspindle.aerofulfillment.com/en

Amazon has 'em for $10.

Last edited by ApS; 05-04-2020 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Fix URL