Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Don

Default Sailing on Foils? - America's Cup Thread

I enjoyed watching the first race of the Louis Vuitton Cup series today from San Francisco even though New Zealand sailed around the course alone (the Italians were boycotting). It was still amazing to watch that huge cat fly on foils at nearly 25 knots upwind and 40 downwind, in a 16 knot wind! Yacht racing fans have over 2 months of this to look forward to.

It made me wonder why I've never noticed sailboats with foils at the lake. The video below shows how well they work in these small sailboats. Has anyone ever seen foils in use on the lake or have information?

Don is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:
bclaker (09-08-2013), wsconner (07-08-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
ITD

I almost bought a Hobie trifoiler in Quincy, MA a couple of years ago. Always wanted one but didn't pull the trigger. Kind of kicking myself now.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
garysanfran

Default The City-by-the-Bay looked gorgeous...

It's going to be a great summer of racing! I'm going down to the Marina Green to watch Tuesday's race close-up.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Don (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
NoBozo

Default Hi Don (Wink Wink)

We have these Foil Sailer's in Newport on a regular basis. My wife and I have a regular spot that we go to every Sunday overlooking the East Passage of Narragansett Bay. As an OLD sailor I still watch everything in front of me... We see Mega Yachts in both Sail and Power coming and going.

The Foil Sailer's are all carbon fiber and designed for ONE person. They FLY..They LIKE a Strong Breeze. The East Passage..which is just south of Fort Adams is the best place to find winds for this "Machine". Today we saw one do an excellent "Pitch Pole". (Head over heals..dumped in the water). Five minutes later he was up an sailing again. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
NoBozo

Preface: I DO Know what a "Hydro-Foil" is and how it works. Just watched the video again. The Foil Sailer seems to have a "String.. OR.. Cord" thingy trailing from under the bow with a weight at the end...bouncing off the waves. WHAT is it's function....??

I consider myself an EXPERT on sailing..... over 40 years experience. Other than an understanding of the "HYDRO-FOIL" concept..I have NO IDEA what is going on here.... NB
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Preface: I DO Know what a "Hydro-Foil" is and how it works. Just watched the video again. The Foil Sailer seems to have a "String.. OR.. Cord" thingy trailing from under the bow with a weight at the end...bouncing off the waves. WHAT is it's function....??

I consider myself an EXPERT on sailing..... over 40 years experience. Other than an understanding of the "HYDRO-FOIL" concept..I have NO IDEA what is going on here.... NB
NB, they typically have a device skimming the surface that adjusts the foil's angle of attack so that the boat is lifted to a predetermined height without having the foil breech the water. Google hydrofoil sail boats and there is much info out there.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
NoBozo

Don: Are you sure the Americas Cup Catamans are ON Foils... NB

PS: Do you have a link to the Americas Cup goings on in SanFran..I'd like to watch. NB
Old 07-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
NoBozo

Default Ok

I just read the link Don mentioned as "THIS" in his first post..Hydro Foils IS mentioned. Now I am confused. The AC42s sailing n Newport last summer were definately NOT Hydro Foils. .... NB
Old 07-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
NoBozo

Default Dam

I just looked at some video on Dons link of the AC72s. DAM: THEY ARE on FOILS..DAM..I had NO Idea....NB

PS: Lament: Everything I ever knew about sailing goes out the window.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
Don

Quote:
Don: Are you sure the Americas Cup Catamans are ON Foils... NB

PS: Do you have a link to the Americas Cup goings on in SanFran..I'd like to watch. NB
Here's the link to the broadcast:

http://www.americascup.com/about/broadcast

And the race schedule:

http://noticeboard.americascup.com/w...dule-70613.pdf

And a little preview video showing the whole boat ON the foils. You can see why today's race was so exciting even with only one boat:

Don is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:
Grey Goose (07-08-2013), NoBozo (07-08-2013), trfour (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Awesome stuff right there Don.

PS NoBozo: 100mph Pontoon boats being passed by Sunfish on stilts. When are the flying cars coming.?.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #12
garysanfran

Default My 22' 265HP Cobalt can't keep up with these ...

The Emirates chase boat has four 300 hp outboards to keep up. 50 mph for a sailboat in 16 kt. winds? WOW!

Let's hope no one else gets killed. Sailing is the most dangerous sport, in many sailor's opine!

Next race Tues., 3pm EST
Old 07-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #13
ApS

Thumbs up Yes, There Are "Foils" on The Lake...

"Safety-changes" are why the Italians are boycotting:

Quote:
"...While the Kiwis put on a show for spectators lining the shore, it was hardly what organizers had in mind after software tycoon Larry Ellison reclaimed the America's Cup for the United States more than three years ago.

The accident that killed Simpson led regatta director Iain Murray to make 37 safety recommendations, including changes to the winglets on the rudders that he says will make the catamarans more stable, particularly as they speed downwind riding only on hydrofoils..."
http://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaki...d_str=20130708

While trimaran L'Hydroptere languishes on the West Coast -- no longer seeking the record books -- one can still go sailing at 64-MPH for just $1500...:
http://www.industrytap.com/worlds-fa...nd-marine/3269

Quote:
I just looked at some video on Dons link of the AC72s. DAM: THEY ARE on FOILS..DAM..I had NO Idea....NB
There's a Moth-class foiler off the Camp Keewaydin colony, visible from the Libby Museum and points south. The owner also has a Hobie, so he's no stranger to sailing "on the edge". However, he's yet to make it out to The Broads.

I've written here of his many attempts to stay upright atop his Bladerider on several occasions, including 2010:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...6&postcount=57

Don's video shows the Bladerider, which conforms with the International Moth class rules, typically sailing at two- to two and a half times the windspeed.

Moth-class rules originally only required that your "boat" be 11-feet long.

The above operator needs steady winds, but they're not to be had around his home base.

"Moth" sailing is not for the timid!

Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #14
wsconner

Default Ac 34

I've been a casual fan and follower of the AC since my youth and read many of the books written by Conner, Bertrand, etc; Just finished "The Billionaire and the Mechanic" by Julian Guthrie, which is an account of Larry Ellison's three campaigns. Although I have never been a fan of Ellison (sailing or software), I am now. It's a great underdog story and I'd recommend it to anyone following the LV Cup this summer... Brings it all into perspective at the right time.
wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
NoBozo

Can anyone Confirm or Disclaim that the AC42s in Newport last summer were On FOILS. Just wondering.. NB

EDIT: Never mind: I just looked it up myself. I previously Mis-Spoke. They were NOT AC42s..They were AC45s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC45#The_Yachts
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
NoBozo

I watched the races in Newport via LIVE overhead (Helicopter) camera/video coverage presented by..I have no idea..but it was spectacular and very well done. At NO Time did I see any evidence of "FOILS"....or any mention of same during the competition.

I also got to look close hand at the boats.. OUT of the water. NO Foils in evidence...but maybe the heat was getting to me....(90+) It was Very Hot and I am an old coot and had to WALK a very long way to see the boats first hand.

Perhaps some of you have noticed how Anal I am about details..especially about sailing. I have NO idea how this "Foil Thing" got by me.

At the same time i was trying to link up with Broadhopper who was in the area at the time. NB
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
chasedawg

Default America's cup..sailing on foils

I'm very interested in watching. It looks like it is on NBCSC DirectTV. Is that channel 220. What time is the broadcast? Can you watch it live on other channels?
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
garysanfran

Default Another gorgeous day for the race...The 2013 Summer of Sailing

The City-by-the-Bay is such a spectacular venue to see this event, as opposed to 12 miles off shore. Next race is Thurs., and may include the Italians. They have not sailed the last two races (raced solo by New Zealand's Emirates) in protest of rule changes. So Emirates has 2 pts.

Watch it here, click on the link, Thurs. at 3:00 p.m. EST... These boats fly when foiling close to 50 mph.

http://www.cupinfo.com/en/americas-c...tv-video-1.php
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (07-09-2013), NoBozo (07-09-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #19
garysanfran

Default A more direct link...

Although interesting video being played now, this is the direct link for "live viewing" Thurs. at 3 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/AmericasCup
Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
NoBozo

I think I "Get It" now...HOW they do it.

EACH hull (left and right) in this case, has what we all know as a "Daggerboard". Been around for decades. It's usually a straight verticle blade that is inserted down through a hull to prevent lateral (Sideways) movement of the boat as it travels through the water. The "Sunfish" has one. The depth of the insertion can be regulated. The hull currently OUT of the water (multihull) will have it's daggerboard totally retracted (lifted) to eliminate any Drag on that side.

WHAT's NEW: Hydro-Foils. These daggerboards are Shaped/Curved inward in an ARC...with a slight "Twist" & "Shape" in a hydro-dynamic way.. I believe this curved ARC Daggerboard IS the major lifting hydro-foil....any thoughts..?? NB

PS: The little "Moth Foil Sailers" have little horizontal foils at the bottom of the vertical.."Daggerboard" ....which provide the Lift.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
garysanfran

Default Took my winter jacket and went to Marina Green...

Yup. Summer in San Francisco. Don't wear shorts!

Watching these boats, live and up close, revolutionizes my knowledge of sailing. Up until this year, this, the oldest professional sport, I believe, saw boats sailing at around 8-12 kts. These things can do over 40 kts.

Today, was again, a single boat race. This time Prada's Luna Rosa...

Score: Emirates 2 Luna Rosa 1

Saturday should be a good race of three boats...Emirates, Artemis and Luna Rosa.

The America's Cup website has archived all three races, should you want to watch them.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:50 AM   #22
ApS

Quote:
WHAT's NEW: Hydro-Foils. These daggerboards are Shaped/Curved inward in an ARC...with a slight "Twist" & "Shape" in a hydro-dynamic way.. I believe this curved ARC Daggerboard IS the major lifting hydro-foil....any thoughts..?? NB
The foil is part of the daggerboard.

In the below attachments--taken from the video--it forms an "L" shape, which is tucked against the hull when retracted...

ETA:

...and forms "V" shape when immersed--a sailing foil shape learned from sailboat designs dating from the 1950s--perhaps earlier. Note the outboard and inboard spray from the "V" in the first photo.

Since the top of the "foil-board" is still exposed to drag, I think it is retracted to avoid "tripping-up" the boat when the hull returns close to steep waves at high speeds.

Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 07-12-2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Added "V"-shape
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Since the top of the "foil-board" is still exposed to drag, I think it is retracted to avoid "tripping-up" the boat when the hull returns close to steep waves at high speeds.

Catamarans with daggerboards ..the normal ones anyways, Always retract the "windward" daggerboard to eliminate "drag" on that side. The submerged board on the leeward side is all that is needed to prevent sideslip.

If the boat, (again..a normal one) is sailing Off the wind, ie..Tacking Downwind, quite often... Both boards will be retracted. NB
Old 07-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #24
garysanfran

Default Sunday's race the best yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWxds...Ffcurv4mTxhjl0

27 mins into this, Emirates blows out it's jib halyard, has to cut the jib loose, jettisons it over starboard into The Bay. Very dangerous predicament. All very near The Golden Gate. The photography is exceptional.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
Par Four

Default Must admit - very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWxds...Ffcurv4mTxhjl0

27 mins into this, Emirates blows out it's jib halyard, has to cut the jib loose, jettisons it over starboard into The Bay. Very dangerous predicament. All very near The Golden Gate. The photography is exceptional.
I just watched that race start to finish and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

You could fill book with what I don't know about sailing (and they have... How to Sail - 101). I don't understand the tactics or strategy of racing, but I really enjoyed watching that race.

I agree the the TV coverage was great,and very nicely supplemented with informative graphics.

This year I've begun to hear more of the calling of sailing, and not just because of the price of gas.
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Par Four For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #26
garysanfran

Default More America's Cup...

The Swedes will join soon, they are rebuilding after their fatality disaster in May.

Artemis is scheduled to race within 10 days.

Today, the Kiwis won against Prada Luna Rosa.

Webmaster: Should we move this to a thread called America's Cup?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #27
garysanfran

Default The forces of sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par Four View Post
I just watched that race start to finish and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

You could fill book with what I don't know about sailing (and they have... How to Sail - 101). I don't understand the tactics or strategy of racing, but I really enjoyed watching that race.

I agree the the TV coverage was great,and very nicely supplemented with informative graphics.

This year I've begun to hear more of the calling of sailing, and not just because of the price of gas.
There are extraordinary forces acting, and counter-acting while sailing any sailboat, but these beasts! Unheard of until now!

Larry Ellison, Oracle, will be a hard fight against Kiwi's Emirates.

I understand the concepts of sailing very well, and have sailed the San Fran Bay for decades.

This, however, creates many contraries of basic sailing lore. The "apparent" wind is such that, because these beasts are traveling so fast forward, way beyond the wind speed, even with the real wind behind, the apparent wind is in front.

A summer of sailing on the San Francisco Bay...Enjoy New Hampshire!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:07 AM   #28
ApS

Question 'Thought AC72 "Retracted Boards" Was Strange...

Quote:
Catamarans with daggerboards ..the normal ones anyways, Always retract the "windward" daggerboard to eliminate "drag" on that side. The submerged board on the leeward side is all that is needed to prevent sideslip.
Having owned three speedy catamarans concurrently, I found myself too busy with navigating to be overly concerned with the windward board; even with a crewmember, he'd be "on the wire" and oftentimes, the partially-retracted board would be clear of the water anyway.

Par Four, two of my catamarans, but especially my Tornado—with smallish centerboards—was capable of 10-MPH higher speeds than the AC72s are restricted to in these races.

But, according to July's SAIL magazine—dropped off by a bluewater-racer-friend—the real reason the AC72 windward boards are retracted is by safety regulation.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #29
SIKSUKR

Default Remaining LV cup schedule in the round robin

Standings
1.Emirates Team New Zealand 7-0 – 7 points (3 races remaining)
2.Luna Rossa Challenge 3-4 – 3 points (3 races remaining)
3.Artemis Racing 0-6 – 0 points (4 races remaining)

About today’s race
•Seven-leg America’s Cup course
•Course length: 15.43 nautical miles
•Elapsed time: ETNZ – 46:53
•Total distance sailed: ETNZ – 19.0 nautical miles
•Average speed: ETNZ – 24.41 knots (28 mph)
•Top speed: ETNZ – 41.16 knots (47 mph)
•Wind speed: average 15 knots; peak gust 22 knots

The schedule ahead (all starts scheduled for 12:15 pm PT)
•Thursday, July 25, Artemis Racing vs. Luna Rossa Challenge
•Saturday, July 27, Emirates Team New Zealand vs. Artemis Racing
•Sunday, July 28, Emirates Team New Zealand vs. Luna Rossa Challenge
•Tuesday, July 30, Artemis Racing vs. Emirates Team New Zealand
Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #30
garysanfran

Quote:
Having owned three speedy catamarans concurrently, I found myself too busy with navigating to be overly concerned with the windward board; even with a crewmember, he'd be "on the wire" and oftentimes, the partially-retracted board would be clear of the water anyway.

Par Four, two of my catamarans, but especially my Tornado—with smallish centerboards—was capable of 10-MPH higher speeds than the AC72s are restricted to in these races.

But, according to July's SAIL magazine—dropped off by a bluewater-racer-friend—the real reason the AC72 windward boards are retracted is by safety regulation.

I don't think the speed of these race boats is "restricted"! I never heard of limiting the "speed" of a race vehicle. The only limit I am aware of is wind speed when the race will be stopped for safety reasons. The wind on The Bay can easily get close to 30 mph and more.

Your boat could go over 60 mph?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #31
Par Four

Default Foils - Do I get it now?

I've been laboring under the non-sailors misperception that max speed of a sailing craft would be limited to the speed of the wind. Never thought any more about it.

But check me out to see if I now "get it" as result of watching the replay of Sunday's rce. I may invent some of my own words and concepts here, but humor me.

A sailboats speed is a complex relationship of multiple variables. Some primary variables are hull design and hydrodynamic efficiency, sail size and configuration/ shape, and apparent wind speed.

These foil equipped sailboats are able to reduce their hydro drag to minimal amounts, once the boat speed gets up past a crossover point of lift from the foils / weight of the boat.

I presume that cats do somewhat the same when they're able to lift one side out of the water, reducing drag, increasing the peed potential of the "lift" provided by the sail area, in relationship to the wind.

So with these foil racing boats, speed (obviously) can and does exceed the apparent wind speed due to minimal drag, and... The huge amount of sail area which give big time lift or pulling power in relation to the weight of the craft.

So the more efficient your hydro, the more efficient you sail geometry, etc, etc ad the better tactical sailer... The fast better you go.

Something like that?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #32
NoBozo

Quote:
I've been laboring under the non-sailors misperception that max speed of a sailing craft would be limited to the speed of the wind. Never thought any more about it.

But check me out to see if I now "get it" as result of watching the replay of Sunday's rce. I may invent some of my own words and concepts here, but humor me.

A sailboats speed is a complex relationship of multiple variables. Some primary variables are hull design and hydrodynamic efficiency, sail size and configuration/ shape, and apparent wind speed.

These foil equipped sailboats are able to reduce their hydro drag to minimal amounts, once the boat speed gets up past a crossover point of lift from the foils / weight of the boat.

I presume that cats do somewhat the same when they're able to lift one side out of the water, reducing drag, increasing the peed potential of the "lift" provided by the sail area, in relationship to the wind.

So with these foil racing boats, speed (obviously) can and does exceed the apparent wind speed due to minimal drag, and... The huge amount of sail area which give big time lift or pulling power in relation to the weight of the craft.

So the more efficient your hydro, the more efficient you sail geometry, etc, etc ad the better tactical sailer... The fast better you go.

Something like that?
Pretty much like that. The only thing I would modify in your description is Sail Area. In todays boats The BIG factor is Sail Shape rather than area. In this case (AC72s) the Mainsail is actually an "articulated" Wing..very much like the wing of an airplane which can be adjusted.

When the boat is Put Up for the night..the entire "Rig".. Wing Mast, has to be removed from the boat with a crane because the Sail can't be lowered as in "Ordinary" sailboats. The Jib is a conventional "soft sail" and can..as seen in the video, be lowered. NB
Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #33
Par Four

Quote:
Pretty much like that. The only thing I would modify in your description is Sail Area. In todays boats The BIG factor is Sail Shape rather than area. In this case (AC72s) the Mainsail is actually an "articulated" Wing..very much like the wing of an airplane which can be adjusted.

When the boat is Put Up for the night..the entire "Rig".. Wing Mast, has to be removed from the boat with a crane because the Sail can't be lowered as in "Ordinary" sailboats. The Jib is a conventional "soft sail" and can..as seen in the video, be lowered. NB
Thanks. One can only imagine the expense involved with an America Cup campaign... Keeping up with the Jones, getting out on that leading edge must be crazy competitive, crazy expensive.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #34
garysanfran

Default Preparing the AC72 for a race...

It takes three hours to set-up, and three to take-down. The wing is 130' in height off the water. Seeing these boats up close and in person, is a humbling experience. Awesome machines.

I believe Artemis is back in the water, practicing, and Oracle is also practicing outside the racing boundaries and carefully watching and analyzing the competition.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #35
NoBozo

Default Americas Cup 2010

It was either I, OR the Webmaster that posted ON this forum an excellent video of the 2010 Oracle Trimaran "Flying" the center hull. I Searched here as well as YouTube and didn't find anything worthwhile. I found Some videos but NOT The GOOD one. NB
Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #36
Par Four

Quote:
It takes three hours to set-up, and three to take-down. The wing is 130' in height off the water. Seeing these boats up close and in person, is a humbling experience. Awesome machines.

I believe Artemis is back in the water, practicing, and Oracle is also practicing outside the racing boundaries and carefully watching and analyzing the competition.
So whats the smart thinking here? Is this gonna be Oracle against Emerites NZ? Are the others really able to compete and win?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #37
garysanfran

Default Who's going to prevail...

Quote:
So whats the smart thinking here? Is this gonna be Oracle against Emerites NZ? Are the others really able to compete and win?
It really is too early to make a prediction. There is a lot of sailing left, and after every race, the teams meet to fine tune their skills and the boat. Engineers make secret changes to their boats as the evolution of the race continues. Angle of the foils could change. Luna Rosa sailed on Tues with a gennaker they never deployed. Artemis is set to re-enter after their tragedy in May.

Sunday, Emirates found they sailed faster after jettisoning their jib.

Regardless of the nationality of the boat, most of the crews are Kiwis! And regardless of the team loyalty, a lot of them meet at The Ramp for "refreshments" after the debriefing. Sailors love camaraderie!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #38
garysanfran

Default Thought this would be of interest...

Two years ago, the AC45's began practicing for this AC race. I posted this before, but here it is again...Oracle's AC45 "Going Over" on The Bay...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=NVPFVR
Old 07-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #39
ApS

Red face Multi-Hull Thrills...

Quote:
It was either I, OR the Webmaster that posted ON this forum an excellent video of the 2010 Oracle Trimaran "Flying" the center hull. I Searched here as well as YouTube and didn't find anything worthwhile. I found Some videos but NOT The GOOD one. NB
Catamarans have a built-in advantage over trimarans:

Quote:
One of my catamarans did go over 60-MPH—briefly—under just the mainsail!

It was that day a few years ago, that member DRH advised of 60-MPH winds in West Alton. It was a storm "cell" that was stronger here than West Alton. You couldn't see any waves at all—here, the entire lake surface was a great sheet of white foam.

It was one of those awful days when the woods sounded like a train passing.

It might not have been an issue had it not been for the fact I couldn't lower the mainsail. (Hobie-18 "hook-and-ring"). As a result, two shrouds pulled from their swages, and the mylar-coated mainsail got torn.

Luckily, no one was aboard at the time.

Quote:
I don't think the speed of these race boats is "restricted"! I never heard of limiting the "speed" of a race vehicle. The only limit I am aware of is wind speed when the race will be stopped for safety reasons. The wind on The Bay can easily get close to 30 mph and more.
I found out that the AC72s can "point" as high as the Olympic Tornado, so a one-on-one race wouldn't be competitive. But I can still sign up to race these guys, and I should be able to be declared the winner each day the winds exceed the AC72 maximum!

But the entire AC72 venue—though entirely "goose-bump-enjoyable" to me—can't compare to sailing races where the helmsman repeatedly drops from the wheel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6L_pDroJiQ

(Just three minutes—no ads...)
Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #40
Par Four

Default What is that?

Is that picture for real? Geeze, I guess that guy really needed to hold that course? Was there contact?

Great photo though... I wonder if the sailing helmsman lifted the port side as an avoidance maneuver, or was he was already up on one side...

Would love to know 'the rest of the story'
Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #41
garysanfran

Quote:
Is that picture for real? Geeze, I guess that guy really needed to hold that course? Was there contact?

Great photo though... I wonder if the sailing helmsman lifted the port side as an avoidance maneuver, or was he was already up on one side...

If you notice the port rudder of the cat is about 1' below and in front of the starboard bow rail of the committee boat. However the starboard hull seems to be further forward. There would have been a collision if this photo is real. Unless the cat could fly 1' higher on its starboard hull very quickly.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #42
ApS

Thumbs up Cats vs Trimarans...

Quote:

The watermark "van der wal photo gallery" tells me it's real, all right. Professional photographer Onne van der Wal, Newport, RI, has taken the best action shots of sailing anywhere—worldwide—for at least two decades. A career devoted to traveling to regattas around the world—what a gig, huh?

Since the upwind position at the start is so-o-o-o important in sailboat racing, I'd expect this scene to be repeated at many catamaran contests, with the size of the committee boat being a variance.

Trimarans could also "fly a hull" over the committee boat, but I think this one's going over.

This particular photo—below—is from an advertisement, but there are many other similar photos on the Web.

(The "1" at bottom-center is the leading edge of the downwind hull).
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #43
garysanfran

Default Today's Luis Vuitton...America's Cup

I believe today's race, 3p.m. EST, will have Kiwis vs. Italians. The fog is currently lifting off The Bay. Armetis is scheduled to start Aug. 6th.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #44
AkwaMarina

Quote:
I believe today's race, 3p.m. EST, will have Kiwis vs. Italians. The fog is currently lifting off The Bay. Armetis is scheduled to start Aug. 6th.
Do you know what channel (HD) it is on? Metrocast Laconia?

I know a certain sailboat bar that would nice to sit and watch the race at
AkwaMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #45
garysanfran

Default Today's race...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkwaMarina View Post
Do you know what channel (HD) it is on? Metrocast Laconia?

I know a certain sailboat bar that would nice to sit and watch the race at
Not sure. I'm in San Francisco and get it on an obscure channel call COZI (which I think is an NBC affiliate). You can also watch the race live, and the past,archived, races here...

http://www.youtube.com/AmericasCup

Bring a laptop to the bar and connect HDMI. Where is there a bar for sailors?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #46
garysanfran

Default An AC72 on Lake Winni?

Could you imagine seeing one of these 13 story tall cats traveling 50 mph on Lake Winnipesaukee? What a sight to imagine!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #47
garysanfran

Default TV coverage

This may help...

http://www.nbcsports.com/tv-listings...zccSubmit.y=11
Old 08-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #48
salty dog

Default World speed record

Wondered if any of you fellow forum members have seen this amazing video of the Vestas Sailrocket 2 breaking the world speed record in Nambia last November. I grew up sailing and I love watching things go fast and it is truly amazing to see how fast this sailboat can move! (approx 75 mph!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipGWQmerEQ
ApS (01-24-2015), garysanfran (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #49
garysanfran

Default Amazing sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty dog View Post
Wondered if any of you fellow forum members have seen this amazing video of the Vestas Sailrocket 2 breaking the world speed record in Nambia last November. I grew up sailing and I love watching things go fast and it is truly amazing to see how fast this sailboat can move! (approx 75 mph!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipGWQmerEQ
Thanks for sharing. I didn't think this was possible.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #50
NoBozo

That video has been around for awhile. It is spectacular. The boat is in the "lee" of the land so has No Seas to contend with...relative to the wind they benefit from. NB
Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #51
ryecatsailor

Default Sailing on Foils, canted 6 degrees

My little cat performs pretty well, class F16 rules allow for 6 degrees of cant to provide some lift to the leeward hull.

http://youtu.be/ZkMhGt39kpA
Attached Images

ryecatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ryecatsailor For This Useful Post:
trfour (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #52
ryecatsailor

Default Spin

http://youtu.be/mSJZGHMDwaU
ryecatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ryecatsailor For This Useful Post:
trfour (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #53
salty dog

Default Really moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryecatsailor View Post
My little cat performs pretty well, class F16 rules allow for 6 degrees of cant to provide some lift to the leeward hull.

http://youtu.be/ZkMhGt39kpA

Great action cam video! She really moves out with a good wind. We'll have to look for you when we're up to the lake next time.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #54
ApS

Wink Oopsy-Doopsy...

Quote:
That video has been around for awhile. It is spectacular. The boat is in the "lee" of the land so has No Seas to contend with...relative to the wind they benefit from. NB
So you probably remember this earlier run, competing with seagulls for "getting air":

Similar "no seas" locations in Australia provided earlier attempts in a related design. As I recall, a record was set at over one mile per minute—but with the sponsor being "Yellow Pages" at the time:

In 1993—with strong winds—it might have been possible to see a terrified skipper in his Tornado:

Attached Images

Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #55
salty dog

Default Amazing flip!

Quote:
So you probably remember this earlier run, competing with seagulls for "getting air":

Similar "no seas" locations in Australia provided earlier attempts in a related design. As I recall, a record was set at over one mile per minute—but with the sponsor being "Yellow Pages" at the time:

In 1993—with strong winds—it might have been possible to see a terrified skipper in his Tornado:

I missed this one when checking out the sailrocket vids. It's like watching a hydroplane flip.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #56
ApS

Arrow Video is at the link...

Last weekend, Oracle did some sailing. I thought I'd seen a foil on a rudder, and there's a good shot of a foil on one of its "exposed" rudders.

A friend sent this latest, and suggested the following:

Quote:
Great video, watch full screen, highest HD setting.
http://oracle-team-usa.americascup.com/news/5313

BTW: In an attempt to save about $150, I purchased a catamaran that arrived complete—except for having only one rudder. It sailed pretty well, and never got around to installing the second rudder.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #57
NoBozo

Default Americas Cup Results Yesterday

One Hour: http://www.youtube.com/americascup
Old 08-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #58
garysanfran

Default Emirates vs. Oracle? One race to go...

Today, it was high winds and strong tides. Emirates is one fast boat. Today they set a record of something in the vicinity of 55mph! The Oracle boat(s) lurk outside the course watching every move.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #59
NoBozo

Default Race 7 (Saturday)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYZci2jiN6s NB
Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #60
NoBozo

Default Race 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h2o3--uOA8 NB
Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #61
NoBozo

Default Oops......

Americas Cup Race #1 and 2: NB

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-...-americas-cup/
Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #62
SIKSUKR

OK NB. I watched both races Saturday and saw NZ win pretty easy at the end. Great racing though. I missed the first race on Sunday to watch the Pats but did catch the second race. Nice to see the US get one. Here's the question..why did the US get penalized 2 points in this race series for modifying 45' boats that had nothing to do with these boats?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #63
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Here's the question..why did the US get penalized 2 points in this race series for modifying 45' boats that had nothing to do with these boats?
It's not about the boats, it's about the races. The America's Cup is a competition consisting of a series of races including both the 45s and the 72s.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #64
NoBozo

Default Race 3 & 4

NZ won Race # 3 and Oracle won Race # 4. Oracle has to "GIVE UP" two wins right off the bat because of "Cheating" last year in the AC45s. I can't explain that. SO the score is NZ 3..Oracle 0.

This news is NO Where in the mainstream media. I had to Google "Americas Cup" to find it. NB
Old 09-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #65
NoBozo

Default Highlights Race 3 & 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5g3g...4WVQ7tyGgjTmqA

EDIT: At about 23 minutes into the video is an Excellent explanation on How the foils work. NB
Old 09-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #66
NoBozo

Default Shakeup Aboard Oracle..??

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...naway-20217263
Old 09-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #67
ApS

Arrow A Little "Foil" History...

From the old fashioned cut of the sails, I'd guess this foil-sailing design dates from the 1950s—perhaps pre-war.

Vietnam "Police-Action"-era USS Flagstaff:

A neighbor-renter brought his Farrier trimaran—below.

I'd posted earlier of a "ride" in one. My "ride" achieved 17-knots with 13 aboard—an International crew, counting at least three languages—I was getting beat-up and soaked, 'cuz the rest of the crew were in the galley, getting lunch! How beat-up, you ask? Though a brand-new Farrier-29, heavy water-action still managed to drive my right knee right through the trampoline!

With his Winter Harbor McMansion-rental running ~$5000/week, he surely was disappointed that winds were gentle during his stay. But at least he didn't have to motor around—and miss all the natural attributes that Lake Winnipesaukee has to offer.

Attached Images

Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #68
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Exclamation

Wow! Oracle Team USA makes some adjustments to their boat, wins 7 races in a row and comes back from a 8-1 deficit to tie the series at 8-8 and set up a winner-take-all final race today! Too bad it's not on a weekend.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #69
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Wow! Oracle Team USA makes some adjustments to their boat, wins 7 races in a row and comes back from a 8-1 deficit to tie the series at 8-8 and set up a winner-take-all final race today! Too bad it's not on a weekend.
Wow really? I had stop following it cuz it looked over. Live coverage today at 4pm for all the marbles on NBC Sports Network Comcast 865. I'll be watching.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 09-25-2013 at 01:27 PM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #70
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Go Oracle. I hope I get home in time to see the race. Channel 220 at 4pm on Directv.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #71
Orion

Default Yeaaa!

America's Cup stays in America! Good job team Oracle.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #72
webmaster

That was an exciting final!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #73
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Fantastic!

Truly unbelievable!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #74
jazzman

All the rah rah "team USA" stuff is annoying... There was exactly 1 American on the boat.

It does look like at least some of the design team are locals...

Lots of American $$$ behind the effort though.

It was fun to watch, but it's pretty rare air when only 4 teams can afford to even build a boat to enter.

There were only 7 AC72s in the world and 3 of them are wrecked/retired.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #75
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
All the rah rah "team USA" stuff is annoying... There was exactly 1 American on the boat.

It does look like at least some of the design team are locals...

Lots of American $$$ behind the effort though.

It was fun to watch, but it's pretty rare air when only 4 teams can afford to even build a boat to enter.

There were only 7 AC72s in the world and 3 of them are wrecked/retired.
Man just be happy America won. I guess when the pats win the super bowl this year it won't be worth celebrating because most of the team is not from NE and Tom Brady in particular is from California. :P
And when did it become the "in thing" to discredited someone's success because they have the means to further excel themselves.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birchhaven For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (09-26-2013), ishoot308 (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #76
jazzman

Well, the NFL doesn't bill itself as the oldest international sporting competition in existence.

I personally enjoyed the event and despite my extreme dislike of the owner, I did end up pulling for his team to win in the end because I was so impressed with what they did.

So big kudos to "team Oracle"...
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #77
SIKSUKR

I thought they blew the race at the first mark when they porpoised momentarily. I know a lot of traditionalist did not like these ac72s but for me it was way more exciting to watch. What was really cool is the incredible comeback, having to win the last 8 races and pulling it off.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #78
NoBozo

Default Race #19

http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup NB
Old 10-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #79
ApS

Wink The Fastest Sailboats are on Foils—BUT...

Developing the world's fastest sailboat—L'Hydroptère:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36PRnNBuN9I

We discussed "modern" powerboat foils nine years ago:
http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/show...ighlight=foils

Quote:

A Tornado-20 doesn't need to go 60 to be competitive: here's an account of a race where a Tornado "slips-in"—starting last—just to see how he'd do against much more powerful multi-hulls.

(Beating "Afterburner", a 52-foot racing machine, with an 80-foot mast!)

Quote:
"...The great conditions seemed to continue as I made my way to the midpoint of the backside. Then I spotted a big sail at the far end...it was Afterburner! I could not believe I was actually on the same leg within visual range as this awesome speed machine..."
http://www.thebeachcats.com/news/70/...-anacapa-race/
Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #80
Orion

Default affordable foils

I'm surprised we don't see some of these on the Lake.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK60RZDtnT8
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #81
ApS

Wink Foil—World Record Catamaran—sorta...

http://tinyurl.com/n865p4t
Old 12-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #82
ApS

Question Stiletto=Not Normal?

Quote:

If the boat, (again..a normal one) is sailing Off the wind, ie..Tacking Downwind, quite often... Both boards will be retracted. NB
Not every catamaran.

The Stiletto was manufactured with a daggerboard in its centerline.

The "factory" restorers in Nokomis, FL, occasionally get a request to put a daggerboard in each hull. The Stiletto was an impressive boat in three sizes; so impressive, enthusiasts have made it a business to professionally restore them in Nokomis, FL. Some buyers of the Stiletto-30 have requested that "cruising" equipment be stripped off to reduce it to the racer-weight it really was designed to be.

I'd never seen the Stiletto before seeing one off Rattlesnake Island, but that could have been 20 years ago. Probably a Stiletto-23, they were also manufactured in 27 and 30' lengths. (Stiletto-30, below)

I believe I have a photo of it, which helps me remember that it was white in color with orange trim. About that time, New Hampshire began the requirement to register unpowered sailboats. Where is it now?

Below is a brochure I acquired at the Nokomis "factory", with my handwritten notes. I decided to buy a Tornado-20 instead, but today am re-considering the Stiletto-30 without cruising equipment.

Attached Images

Old 12-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #83
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Back in the '60's and '70's

There was a business man by the name of John Knox who had a Stiletto when he owned the camp next to me. It had sleeping qtrs. below deck and I believe it was the 27. It was pretty impressive to see him out on The Broads on a windy day. He sold the place in the late '70's and moved to the cape.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #84
ApS

Thumbs up Sweden's America's Cup Followup

Disappointed in the showing of Sweden's Artemis, the editors of Sweden's Search magazine decided on their kind of "winter fun" by putting their Hobie on foils.

Quote:
"We put foils on a Hobie Tiger F18 and started to try foiling in late November, with 2 degrees Celsius and 16-18 knots of wind. On the second test session we manage to get some good foiling and the top speed reached 32.1 knots. [39.1-MPH]

"We started with foils on daggerboard and rudder originally designed for a lighter boat, eventually the rudder foil broke but the boat continued to fly. After 30 minutes of sweet flying around feeling like the Kiwis the daggerboard foil broke as well and the fun was over.

"Repairs and reinforcements of the foils are already started and if the ice doesn’t prevent us from sailing, we will try to go flying again during the winter."

http://www.catsailingnews.com
Old 01-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #85
ApS

Red face Calm Seas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I'm surprised we don't see some of these on the Lake.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK60RZDtnT8
It's January, so the Moth class has completed their 2015 World's Cup Championship races "down-under". With 150 entrants, they were greeted by perfect sailing conditions—sunny, windy—up to 25 knots—and what they call—"calm seas".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH-C...layer_embedded
Old 09-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #86
webmaster

With teams already at work in Bermuda it's time to start getting excited about the 2017 Americas Cup. Here's a great video a friend sent to me.

Karim: Amazing Technologie #Speedracer

Posted by Karim Maataoui on Saturday, May 16, 2015
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
DRH (09-17-2015), salty dog (09-18-2015), trfour (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #87
salty dog

I'm also looking forward to watching the races. It's amazing to see the foils in action; hard to believe how the sport has evolved so quickly. As much as I enjoy the action, there's still something beautiful in watching a 12 meter cut through the water with the lee rail buried!
camp guy (09-18-2015), DRH (09-19-2015), onceMeg (09-19-2015)