Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
Navman

Thumbs up Townsends Tavern

Went to Townsends Tavern(the old Gretchens in Glendale) last week twice. It was awesome. Had the steak tips. They were excellent. Chicken Parm sandwich was great. My wife had prime rib she liked that as well. I would highly reccomend this place. Wait staff is new so there was little confusion. to be expected being new and all. Owners very accomodating

Last edited by Navman; 07-22-2004 at 11:35 AM.
Navman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:53 AM   #2
SPANKY

we were there last saturday, have to agree, great food. from what i understand, due to previous lease problems the building was purchased by the new restaurant owner. does anyone know if there are any plans to reopen the store underneath?
SPANKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
Navman

Owners Said They Will Be Opening Convenience Store Next Spring
Navman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:00 AM   #4
jrc

I tried this place Saturday for dinner. Overall impression- food was good, service was good. I had baked haddock and my wife had the steak tips. Both were prepared as ordered, and served hot. Portions were medium to large. Total bill was about $40 plus tip with one drink each.

The only thing to consider is that the menu is short. The printed menu only has about seven or eight meal selections. One steak, one fish, one pork chop, one pasta, one chicken etc. A specials menu had another three or four items and the waiter read another three or four. But the waiter also told us they were out of three items on the printed menu. Running out is a growing pain. The limited selection is probably how they survive the slow times.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:06 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default Not a bad thing

Actually,a limited menu could mean that everything is nice and fresh.Ever go to a restaurant in the off season with 40 or 50 entree's on the menu and wonder how they can all be fresh when there are only 6 0r 8 other customers in the dining room?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2004, 03:44 PM   #6
jrc

I agree, you can always add specials during the busy summer weekends. Just having a few items to keep on hand, can make the Tuesdays in February survivable. Running a resturant is tough, even more so in a seasonal area. Only time will tell if these folks have the right stuff.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:29 AM   #7
Glendale Girl

Red face townsend tavern

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][My hubsand and I go to Townsend Tavern every weekend. The food has always been great. However, he had ordered the Porter steak for $27.00. The steak was a dissappointment for the money they charged for it. Very thin. he had wished he ordered the tips on special. Everthing else we have tried on the menu has been wonderful and so is the staff. next time he wants a great steak we willl go to Averys. But for everything else we will continue to eat at the tavern.
Glendale Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:16 PM   #8
Just Sold

Thumbs up

After spending the day on the lake we decided to try Townsends for dinner. My wife had the stuffed pork chop andn I had the prime rib special. Both were excellent and the fresh corn and asparagas veg was perfect.

Peter our waiter was very good and friendly. He even got the stuck ceiling fan running.

We arrived at 5:15 and there was only one other couple there but people kept coming in and the place started to fill up by the time we left.

The only improvement we felt they should do is spruce up the exterior with plantings and decoration to make it more inviting from the outside.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:02 PM   #9
boathousegirl

Default Townsend Tavern

We went to Townsend Tavern on Sunday night and after a bit of confusion trying to find the bar area, we enjoyed a great dinner and fabulous service. Do they stay open year round??
boathousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #10
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default New owners, new name for Glendale Docks restaurant

From the Citizen Jan. 14, 2006
"RE/MAX Bayside of Meredith has announced the sale of the former Townsend Tavern at the Glendale Docks, Gilford. The new owners are Lauren & Roland Lyons.

Mr. Lyons has more than 20 years of culinary experience, serving as chef at the Lake Sunapee Country Club, New London, the Manchester Country Club in Bedford as well as restaurants in Sarasota, Florida.

The Lyons' have renamed the restaurant "The Lyons' Den" and are planning a grand opening, with the date to be announced. Gail DeGangi of Ganong Real Estate, represented the sellers, the buyers were represented by RE/MAX Bayside Sales Associate Sue-Ann Fecteau."

(Courtesy Photo) LAUREN & ROLAND LYONS are the new owners of the former Townsend Tavern at the Glendale Docks in Gilford. The new name of the restaurant is the Lyons Den. Pictured with the new owners is RE/MAX Bayside Sales Associate Sue-Ann Fecteau.
Attached Images

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

I hope the Lyons can make this place work.I walk by this restaurant every weekend and have seen it has change hands many times.McDude,do you know if the convienence store located on the ground floor is still there?I'm sure it's only a seasonal store.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:12 PM   #12
CHSLTD

Smile Steak Tip as good as ever!

Wife and I were in to "Lyon's Den" thursday for tips and found the same friendly bar staff (Kevin,Steph and Andrew) and steak tips as good as ever. The only change I could see was that the bar is now NO SMOKING and the menu has changed slightly. I hope it works for them.

**Was told yesterday that the bar was going to be expanded**

Last edited by CHSLTD; 01-30-2006 at 09:59 AM.
CHSLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #13
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

The convenience store is still there and will open in May. They hope to add an ATM machine. See link below.....
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/citizen0102
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote