Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
sprucehill

Red face Server Speak

We have dined across the country and here locally. Most of the hard working servers are just great.

We just wish they would not say "are you still working?" or "are you still working on that" when trying to figure out is one is done eating. There are nicer ways to figure out when one is done eating.
sprucehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
Joanna16

How about can I bring you change? - Always!

They should always just take what is there and bring back the rest - If I don't want them to come back I'll let them know it's all set.
Joanna16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
NightWing

My pet peeve is those servers who are constantly stopping by to "warm" your coffee or top off the water glass, which is usually too full to start with.

I like coffee, but I don't like it too hot. I mix just the right (for me) amount of sweetener and cream and I like to let it cool somewhat and savor the drink at my own pace.

Along comes the over zealous server who proceeds to top off my 2/3 full cup (which was JUST right for flavor and temperature) and spoil my mixture of excellence!

I can vividly remember being out in a dinner party one night when the server came around topping off coffee cups around the table. I was engrossed in a conversation at the time and did not want a warm-up so I held my hand over my cup as a sign that I was all set and I kept eye contact with the person I was talking with. Well, guess what. The server wasn't watching either and the next thing I knew, I had boiling hot coffee poured all over my hand. I jumped up and screamed, as did the server. The next thing I knew, people were pouring ice water all over my hand and arm.

As I recall, the meal was free that night.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

My all time favorite is being called "guys" even 70 year old women....as in "Are you guys ready to order?....or "How are you guys doing?"
Kind of funny
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
jrc

My pet peeve is servers who don't write down the order. Yes, I know that's how they do it in the fancy big city restaurants. But if your doing a part-time summer job, just get the order right.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
carole

They ALWAYS come to the table and ask a question (ex: "Can I get you anything else?") when my mouth is full.
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole
They ALWAYS come to the table and ask a question (ex: "Can I get you anything else?") when my mouth is full.
I've even asked them when they come back to check that everything is ok , if they purposely wait till our mouths are full
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #8
Nadia

Default Lol

I was sitting in Friendly's having lunch with two of my friends one day. We were chomping away, mouths full, when the server came over and asked us if everything was okay, and can I get you anything else? We did the usual shake of our heads, but when my friend was done chewing she looked at us and said "You know they're trained to do that right? So your mouth is full you won't ask for anything else and you can't complain". LOL. I started lauging hysterically.

Being a server is a tough job, I speak from years of experience. One person might get peeved when a server asks how everything is while your eating. Yet another person may get very peeved if a server does not. Same goes for the water or coffee. Some people might get annoyed by the over zealous water boy, while others might be annoyed that their glass is half full for five minutes. Your trying to please a wide array of preferences and personalities, and it can be a challenge at times!
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:27 AM   #9
BBS2

Default please

Something like "can't please all of the people all of the time"?
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:44 AM   #10
chipj29

Default Bingo Nadia!

I am a reformed Rest mgr, and Nadia hit the nail on the head. Every person is different. Servers have a tough time reading each and every guest, trying to figure out what they want and how they want it. OK, I should say GOOD servers try to do that. The less-mature ones just lump everyone together in one group and call them "guys". lol
But seriously, I am pretty easy going, as long as I get what I want in a reasonable amount of time.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #11
obie

Unhappy

It bugs me when dining out with my lovely wife and the server wants to know "Is everything all right with you GUYS". I would like to reply "This is not one of the "GUYS" but the LADY is my wife. Maybe if I called the waitress PAL she would get the message. It is also annoying when you are just putting your first bite into your mouth to have the server ask if everything is all right........"Come back after I get a taste"!
obie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:05 AM   #12
Nadia

Wink

I agree with you wholeheartedly, a good server should not refer to their customers as "guys", it's not professional and unneccesary, even if it is a group of male guests. "How is everything?" is enough, there's no need to add on "guys". "Folks" is a bit more appropriate if you must. You are not the only ones that find this term totally offensive. There really is no need for it. I use folks or everybody, but I have to say, sometimes "guys" does slip out here and there by accident! This post definately has made me more concious of myself when I'm speaking to our customers.

A good server has good manners from the start. After a while you begin to get a feel for your customers and know what they want. Some people are very down-to-earth, while others want to be pampered. A good server should have/be a lot of things, but the number one thing is manners.

Last edited by Nadia; 09-16-2006 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #13
imalocal

I totally agree with the "Can I get you any change?" issue. That makes my blood boil
imalocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:59 AM   #14
Nadia

"Can I get you change?" is not proper etiquette at all, it's actually considered quite rude. Some customers can get very angry. Really though, I have to say, it reflects back on the management. All waitstaff should be educated on basic, proper etiquette before they're allowed to interact with customers. Guys, dudes, and "Can I get you change" shouldn't be part of the vocabulary.

I guess I'm the odd-ball here. I can handle guys, "Can I get you change?", or even dude! The thing that drives me nuts, is a young teen-aged waitress, calling customers old enough to be her parents or grandparents "sweetie" or "honey". "Did you want some more coffee sweetie?" Eeeck! Is it just me?