Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
rander7823

Default Looking for suggestions

I am bringing the family up July 8th through the 15th. We are staying at Samoset in Gilford. We will have our traditional arrival lunch at Patrick's and we will make several trips to Pepper's during our stay. (I am trying not to think about a lobster roll right now). Well, that didn't work. I am looking for a nice breakfast and several dinner recommendations. We have a party of 5 including my 3 daughters. 11, 10 and 8. Yes, 3 weddings and a funeral....mine.
They are well behaved. My mother handed down the "Board of Education" that she purchased at Santa's Village back in the 70's. And I love the look we get from the wait staff when my youngest politely asks if she can have a salad and what dressings are offered. The disbelief on their faces is priceless as they look to us for confirmation. The oldest is fond of lobster bisque.

My wife and I both like a good steak and Italian food as well as. Also being a lifetime New Englander "value" is important

Thanks
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
Hermit Cover

Default Value and Breakfast....

Both can be found nearby. Try Donna Jeans at the bridge at Weirs Beach...that's close and for a really good breakfast or lunch in a casual relaxed diner style try the Village or Country Kitchen (there are two signs) between Mountonboro Neck Road and the town of Moultonboro (on the right) on Rt. 25. This place is a bit longer drive but it's worth the trip. You'll find the prices are unbeatable and the food is plentiful, a great place to take the kids....and a few minutes up the road you can stop in at the Moultonboro Old Country Store and Museum. For Italian food you'll enjoy Karen and Barry's Italian Bistro on the Main St. hill above Mill Falls in Meredith. You'll find loads of threads about this great place in the Forum. For a great steak.....good luck! The best steaks on the lake can always be found at JoJo's Country Store on Moultonboro Neck Road....but you have to grill them yourself....No kidding....the best meats on the lake! Have a great and safe vacation....Lake Winnipesaukee is the greatest!!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
ghfromaltonbay

Default Ames Farm for Breakfast

Since you'll be practically next door, try Ames for breakfast. Their blueberry pancakes are great, and I've never been disappointed with any of their breakfast items.

Another good place with terrific bargain prices is the new Johnson's Steakhouse and Dairy Bar on Route 11 in New Durham (formerly Dot's, Mama Rina's & the RR Station). Their steak tips are great and most of the dinners are $11-12 (the fish and chips at $6.95 is a real steal). All of their seafood dishes are modestly priced and the portions are generous. They serve Richardson's ice cream and the children's portion (Kiddie Kup) is 3 scoops! Lines do form for seating, so I would recommend arriving between 5 - 5:30, however they do have a take-out window and about a dozen tables with umbrellas for dining al fresco.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Fun4us

Thumbs up Value and Breakfast....

I would give Donna Jeansa try. After going up to the lake for 25 years, my family and I tryed it and were very happy with both the service and the food.
Fun4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
ACutAbove

For breakfast I like georges in meredith or Sunshine and Pa's. Lunch The Mug (good for kids vidio and pool games) in Center Harbor. And if your looking for steak I go with either Camp or Canoe. Just my .02
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
winniplayhouse

After Donna Jeans for breakfast or lunch, the best thing to do is walk across the street to the Winnipesaukee Playhouse for our children's musicals!! There's a different musical every day of the week (Tues-Fri) at 1pm, plus Saturdays at 11am.

Sorry for the shameless plug...
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
Highlander

Thumbs up Italian Restaurant

There is a very good italian restaurant in Farmington named La Contadina, they are right on main street in a small, quaint setting. The food there has been excellent every time we have been and the deserts are trouble as well. They also usually have a steak special and great lobster ravioli. It is located right on Main St. in Farmington, off Rte 11. Probably about 20-30 minutes from Samoset.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
Mr. V

The William Tell is several miles from Samoset, and offers good Swiss food at a reasonable price.

Their Sunday brunch (NOT served buffet style) is quite good.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
mets3007

For breakfast I would suggest Ames Farm Inn, I have been there a few times a week when Me and my Dad go to the Lakes Region, I have found the food to be very good and service to be friendly. If you need another place I recommend Donna Jean's at the Wiers or Friendly's in Laconia also have good breakfasts as well. For lunch Dangelo's is a good place for a quick sandwhich as well as Sawyers, who also has good food. For Italian dinners there are alot of places that are good. Fratellos in Laconia, Galley in Laconia, Patricks Pub also has good food as well and is more than Italian but it is delicious. Plus there are many more good places. For Ice cream I go to Lilikulani's on the same road as Christmas Island and Naswa < forgot the name> they have good ice cream and is right on the water.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #10
george b

Default If you want Chinese Food

I had supper tonight at West Lake In Wolfeboro. I think it is the best Chinese food around.
george b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander
There is a very good italian restaurant in Farmington named La Contadina
If you haven't been to LA RISTORANTE CONTADINA I suggest you put it on your "MUST DO" list! Try the Carbonarra!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #12
ladybug

Try Lakeside restaurant for breakfast. Very good and very reasonable. It is located under the Gilford Hotel and Conference center, near the Shaw's and the Margate.
Christmas Island makes great steak. It is one of the few restaurants that serve cheese and crackers to your table complimentary and a salad, a starch, and a vegetable come with your meal. You can order from the main menu or they have a bar menu as well.
The Naswa does a nice dinner as well. They have a new chef. There were 12 in our party and no one had any complaints. The desserts are also homemade on premises.
Enjoy your vacation on the lake.
ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:54 PM   #13
Kwizeen

Default Hidden Jem!

Id like to suggest a hidden jem, ok I'm the chef but I really think you'd like it if its not too far out of the way. And alot of our members say the food outdoes the local fare. (no offence)

Laconia Country Club. 5:00-8:00 Friday and Saturday only. Menu changes almost weekly except for a few favorites.
Price range $12-$20 per plate. Entertainment on Saturday Nights.
Not stuffy at all, just no jeans alowed.
Not advertised, but open to the Public!

Hope to see some non members pop in and give us a try, we are thinking of staying open in the off season.

Cheers
Chef Mike
Kwizeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #14
rander7823

Default Thanks to everyone for your suggestions

Thanks for all your suggestions. we can't wait to get there hopfully the sun will come out soon and warm the water a little
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote