Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
jkjoshuatree

Wink

Hey All,

I've brought this up before in a previous post but no one replied so I'll give it another try.

We drove up from Boston a couple of months ago to look at an apartment for our babysitter in Meredith and couldn't wait to goto the Corner House Inn for brunch.

And once again it was delicious. Everything we got was great. I had the lobster eggs benedict with a side of apple-smoked bacon and she had the pancakes. They were the best she ever had. I'm not crazy about pancakes, but these were incredible.

We've eaten there several times over the years and have always loved it. Just the fact that it's out in the middle of no where and has as much New England charm that you can possibly stuff into a place are two great reasons to try it. But for the food to be terrific pushes it over the top.

I don't work there or know anyone who does. I just a happy customer who loves the place. The hostess was top-notch but the waitress had the personality of a snowman and wasn't very good at her job.

So...enough with my babbling. I was just wondering if other people on this site have tried it and what they thought. I'm amazed it's never mentioned here.

Pepper? Upthesaukee? Rattlesnake Gal? Anyone?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Newbiesaukee

I have mentioned it before when folks were listing their favorites in the region. It is one ours. The food is consistently creative and good, the prices are right and the service is casual and friendly. Menu choices range from burgers to up-scale creativity. Everyone whom we have taken there also loved it.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Pepper

I give a "Thumbs Up" to the Corner House as well!

Took my "very fussy" Mother there for lunch a few years back, and she still raves about it too!

Old 05-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
BLUESDUDE

Went there about 15 years ago and it was GREAT.....hope to get back some day!
BLUESDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
Tir Na Nog

Default Where?

Sounds like a great place. Could someone give away the location? Is it accessible from the Town docks in Meredith? Thanks in advance.

I may not post often, but I really appreciate all of the information the various forums provide.
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
TomC

Default its in Sandwich, NH

you'd be awfully hungry if you walked there from the Town Docks in Meredith.. its miles away
TomC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
jkjoshuatree

Talking Tir Na Nog...

...Tom is right. It would take you quite a while from the town docks, or any docks for that matter.

It's located on Rt.109 in Sandwhich. It's totally off the beaten path down a long, winding stretch of road. It's very rural and in the middle of no where. It just kind of pops up on you when you least expect it.

I definitely recommend it though. Try the stuffed mushrooms (if you like stuffed mushrooms). They're some of the best I've had.

If you're driving from Rt 25 pay close attention to an old abdandon house and barn on the right side of the road about three or four miles down once you turn onto Rt 109. It's so creepy. We always joke that if it isn't haunted, it should be.

Enjoy!!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:57 PM   #8
JL Girl

Jk, I know the house you mean. Looks like it would be a perfect place to film a horror movie at! Actually, it really cries for restoration but not sure it's recoverable. Wonder what This Old House would say - i.e., Tom Silva and Norm Abrams. My favorite place on that road is the house at the top of the hill with the columns - I call it Tara after GWTW.

Re: the Corner House - have always had a great meal there - lunch or dinner. One summer, 8 of our family was there for lunch and we had the chicken pot pie (a special) and it was "just mahvelous" (as Billy Crystal would say!).
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #9
ghfromaltonbay

Default Tara

JLGirl,

If you mean the large white house with the weeping willow in the front yard, it was owned at one time by the actor Claude Rains of Casablanca fame. There used to be a silversmith shop directly across the road on the 2nd floor above the post office.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #10
jkjoshuatree

Talking Gh...

...thanks for that bit of history. That's pretty interesting. It makes me want to look into that house and dig up even more of it's past. There's so much a house has seen over the years and I bet that one has seen plenty.

P.S. For those of you who haven't been to the Corner House Inn in years, it's
no longer an inn. The rooms upstairs have been turned into a cozy bar area. It's got a great feel to it. Okay, I'm done raving about the Corner House. I'm beginning to sound like a lunatic.