Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
safetydoe

Default German Restaurant?

Does anyone know if there are any restrurants in the Lakes Region that serves German Food? I am looking for a great Wiener Schnitzel. Thanks for your help.
safetydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Mr. V

Look no further...

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nm2c/r...enus/id18.html
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
arthurc

Try William Tell in Alton. haven't been there for a while but they have been excellent in the past.
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Default ....four star!

There's the William Tell in Thornton on Route 49 on the way to Waterville Valley. The owner/chief is from Switzerland so it is better than German. I give it four big stars, my highest rating!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Newbiesaukee

The Inn at Danbury (NH) is a little west of the Lakes Region but is excellent with a national reputation.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
There's the William Tell in Thornton on Route 49 on the way to Waterville Valley. The owner/chief is from Switzerland so it is better than German. I give it four big stars, my highest rating!
Ok Less,now you've hit a sore spot with this german.The menu looks more swiss than german with cheese fondue.And how can have a german restaraunt with my favorite and by the way,my specialty in the kitchen,rueladin.Hands down for me the best german dish there is.I will say that have not eaten there yet so I really can't compare the fare.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #7
trfour

safetydoe,

Try the Kellerhaus just up the road from Weirs Beach toward Meredith on your right. My wife is Austrian and we love the place.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
ghfromaltonbay

Default The William Tell in Alton is your best bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetydoe
Does anyone know if there are any restrurants in the Lakes Region that serves German Food? I am looking for a great Wiener Schnitzel. Thanks for your help.

I too take exception with LESS. I happen to be German/Swiss and I can tell you that the food at the William Tell is fabelhaft und ausgezeichnett(marvelous & excellent)! The chef/owner is Swiss, but he definitely favors the German area of the country in his cuisine. They do serve rouladen during the monthlong Oktoberfest, wish they would have it all year long. Good thing we make it ourselves the rest of the year. The weinerschnitzel is very good -- it comes with rosti potatoes (a grated potato/onion pancake) and the daily vegetable. The salad and bread are also excellent. There is an early bird special Tues. thru Friday from 5 to 6:30. All the specials are $9.95.
It's a bargain. For example, the regular weiner schnitzel dinner is $19.95. With that you get salad, bread, potato, veggie & 3 large pieces of the veal. On the early bird you get all of the above in the same portions, except you only get 2 pieces of veal, but the price is $10 less and you will be able to finish the meal instead of asking for a doggie bag. There are also some seafood items for those who don't go for the European fare, but I have never been disappointed in any of the meals I've enjoyed there. The desserts are also great and many feature Tobler chocolate. Guten appetit!

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 05-03-2006 at 02:01 PM.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
ApS

Default Grüezi, y'all !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
I too take exception with LESS. I happen to be German/Swiss and I can tell you that the food at the William Tell is fabelhaft und ausgezeichtnett (marvelous & excellent)! The chef/owner is Swiss, but he definitely favors the German area of the country in his cuisine..."
"Grüezi miteinander" (Swiss greeting ).

GH: I'm sold, but which William Tell restaurant? The one in Alton or Thornton?

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default William Tell

I too (and my other ---oops, yes dear---I mean better half) like the William Tell in Alton. Great schnitzel, and as a chocoholic, anything with the Tober chocolate is great. Nice service, nice setting, nice food makes for a very nice evening.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #11
ghfromaltonbay

Thumbs up The Alton William Tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
"Grüezi miteinander" (Swiss greeting ).

GH: I'm sold, but which William Tell restaurant? The one in Alton or Thornton?

APS - Thanks for the Swiss greeting. Don't hear the language too much anymore since my grandmother is gone.

I was referring to the William Tell in Alton. Haven't been to the one in Thornton.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #12
donnamatrix

Default William Tell-Alton

Sue and her husband (can't think of his name right now, due to old age on my part) due a terrific job cooking and serving at the William Tell in Alton. The food is ALWAYS wonderful. They have a private dining room upstairs that is perfect for office parties or birthday events. They will make a special menu for parties, but the standard menu items are just terrific. The rosti potatoes are absolutely to die for, and I would love to get the salad dressing recipe. Up until last year, their lovely black and white cat roamed the bar area, and slept in his bed under the bar. He passed away at the age of 17, a good life. This is a wonderful restaurant, we travel from Moultonboro for dinner, make reservations, it gets very busy. Not dressy either.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #13
ghfromaltonbay

Default William Tell

Donnamatrix,

The chef/owner is Peter Bossert. You're right, he and his wife do a terrific job and the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. I'm sorry to hear about the cat, saw him last season. Last year to celebrate their 25th anniversary they added a large back-lit stained glass window depicting the famous painting of Wilhelm Tell and his son. There was an interesting article in the Citizen on how they found this window at auction and it makes a lovely backdrop near the bar area.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
gtxrider

Default Yah, yah

But why eat german when in New England that's like eating lobster in Kansas. ?

GH get the Yah, yah?
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #15
ghfromaltonbay

Wink Good food is good food anywhere

gtx,

As long as the chef is a genuine Schweizer, it doesn't matter where the restaurant is located. Besides, looking at an entire summer up in the lakes region, one needs a variety of menus.

What kind of kraut are you anyway? It's spelled "Ja, ja". Are you sure we're related?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:17 PM   #16
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs up for William Tell (Alton) as well. Sorry the cat died, but not sorry it won't be roaming around the restaurant any more. That was the only thing that bothered me about the place (although I never saw any mice running around) . Other than that it gets my vote for one of the best in the area.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #17
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Thumbs up

Here's a link to a previous discussion we had on this forum about the William Tell Inn with more information about the STAINED GLASS WINDOW . Everyone seems to give it two thumbs up!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:48 PM   #18
safetydoe

Default German Restruant

I would like to thank everyone for your input on where there is a German restruant in the Lakes Region. I can hardly wait to try all of them at sometime during this summer. I have another question, can you get to William Tell by boat? And where in Alton is it located?

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #19
Nhlvrnfla

Default Hiya.

Quote:
I would like to thank everyone for your input on where there is a German restruant in the Lakes Region. I can hardly wait to try all of them at sometime during this summer. I have another question, can you get to William Tell by boat? And where in Alton is it located?

Thanks again.
Are you from Germany?

You can get to the location of the restaurant by boat, but it would be a severe walk up hill, and probably not conducive to a wonderful dining experience. Better by car.......

I believe the Rte. is 11.......going from Gilford stay on Rte 11 heading toward Alton. It's a really GERMAN looking place on your left.....

Try the speatzle I think that is the correct spelling.

Wonderful food.

Can't wait to be there myself.
Nhlvrnfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #20
Mee-n-Mac

Quote:

Thanks again.
It's in west Alton on Rt11 though w/o knowing where you're coming from it's hard to tell you the best route. You might want to call them ... have a look at the mcdude's site for some more info ....

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nm2c/r...enus/id18.html

as well as their own website ....

http://www.thewilliamtellinn.com/

And no it's not on the water (at this very moment though if it rains anymore ...) so you'll have to drive. It's on rt11, about 1 mile north of the intersection with 11A and 2 miles south of Ellacoya.

EDIT : corrected directions above

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 06-01-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #21
safetydoe

Default I am not from Germany but my husband is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhlvrnfla
Are you from Germany?

You can get to the location of the restaurant by boat, but it would be a severe walk up hill, and probably not conducive to a wonderful dining experience. Better by car.......

I believe the Rte. is 11.......going from Gilford stay on Rte 11 heading toward Alton. It's a really GERMAN looking place on your left.....

Try the speatzle I think that is the correct spelling.

Wonderful food.

Can't wait to be there myself.
I am not from Germany but my husband is. I used to love to visit the Green Barn on the borderline of Ma and Salem NH. I loved eating there the food was always so great until I quite smoking and they still allowed smoking in their restruant. The last time I ate there (at least 10 years ago) it was so smoky I could not eat my meal and left so fast I left my meal behind. I was not a happy camper since I liked the food so much. Have not been back since.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #22
Nhlvrnfla

Default Hi Safety...

I don't remember that restaurant on the border, but what a shame you could no longer enjoy it.

I think 2 restaurants we will have to make a point of getting to this year are William Tell and Canoe, for Mee-n-Mac's Ahi Tuna.

Are you still not smoking?
Nhlvrnfla is offline   Reply With Quote