Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #1
wildo

Default Karen and Barry's

The place is dirty- does Meredith have a board of health?

The chef and owner smoke as they serve and cook.

The food was of standard quality and some was even unedible due to refrig flavor.

This is a Lakes Region fiasco!

We visited due to other posters-I'm not sure we where at the right place-be careful what people say as the information may not be accurate
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
JDeere

Default Thanks

There have many posts about K&B. I have never eaten there because of the numerous negative comments. The comments that rave about the place seemed odd when the negative posts are read along side the positive. Thanks for the post and the warning think I will continue to avoid.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
baby45

Default about negative comments

i own karen & barrys and i would like to respond about your comments about my restaurant, 1st my wife and i do not smoke while we are serving and cooking food never have and never will,we might take a break and sit at the bar and lite one up or we will go out the back door for one, but no one that works for me including myself ever will touch food and smoke so i dont feel i have to defend that,2, my restaurant is clean all the time i spend every day cleaning and making sure my restaurant is clean. my restaurant is having a few problems like the floor, some of the tiles are lifting and parts of the floor need work but that will all be fixed in 2 weeks because we have carpenters coming in to redo the restaurant but thats all stuff that happens being in business for 5 years,but if you feel i am not telling the truth about my restaurant being clean the state comes in and inspects my restaurant 2 times a year and we never know when they will show up but since i have been in business over the last 5 years my score has always been between 96- to 98 and that is all public record so you can call the state board of health or come here and i will show you the records from the board of health. then you said the food tastes like refrigerater i dont know what you mean every day we pound out fresh veal and we get our chicken on a daily basis, i only cook enough pastas to get me through that night so it is made every day. i totally pride myself on every thing being fresh and i buy the best quality that i can get,my sauce is made fresh every 2 - 3 days. then about what the other person wrote that we had negative comments before but yet theyhave never been in my restaurant so i would take that with a grain of salt. all you have to do is look in the archives and you will find those comments, and all i will say about that is that some of the people that wrote that negative stuff have come back in the restaurant and are happy with every thing. just remember there are 2 sides to every story and some where in the middle is the truth. look i am truly sorry that you were not happy with us and i would like to make it up to you if you would give us another try. just ask for my wife or myself. thanks for your time
baby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
valhala

Default To each his own......

I think dining at K&B's is just a personal preference. I have been 3 times with family and friends, and personally did not care for the food or atmosphere. I personally know people that like it, and others that hate it. I agree that the place needs some work - so maybe that is why it appears dirty. But the bathroom was a real turn off the last time I was there. I am sorry to say but, the woman who took our order had dirty finger nails and kept running her hands through her short dark hair as she waited to take our order. I would not do that with guests in my own kitchen. The t-shirt she had on was filthy, and she was not in a good mood. That was a real turnoff. The chicken in the parmesan plate was too thick and chewy for my liking - I like it pounded thin. And the pasta was overcooked.
Give it a try, and form your own opinion.......
valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
Silver Duck

Default To each their own...

and in my case, that means driving right past the hoity-toity resaraunts in the docks area without so much as a glance and making a bee line for Karen and Barry's.

And, Barry, you danged well should be proud of the meals you put in front of your customers! Keep the lasagna & the garlic bread with cheese on the menu; it's almost time for Betty and I to be back in the area every weekend!

Fred
(AKA "Silver Duck")
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
Skip

Thumbs up The Mighty 'Duck has spoken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Duck
...And, Barry, you danged well should be proud of the meals you put in front of your customers!...
That's it, if the 'Duck gives it a thumbs up, its good enough for me.

You know, I frequent a little hole-in-the-wall breakfast joint on 16 in Tamworth. Ain't the prettiest of places, I am sure more than one has turned their noses up at the 60's decor. But that place is packed every weekend and its the best damned breakfast this side of White Lake....

To each their own....but next time I'm up that way I'll stop in, ask for Barry and tell him the 'Duck sent me!

ps: How's the hash....I'm weak for hash!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
secondcurve

Barry:

Thanks for the thoughful response. I'll give you a try the next time I am in the area. The restaurant business is tough, so one that has been open for five-years must be doing something right. Good Luck!!!!!!!!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
joann721

Default You Never Let Us Down !!!

I have been reading the forums on this site for over 2 years. I enjoy reading the viewpoints of the people who are lucky enough to live year around in the area I consider my second home. I live in Salem, MA and I spend every weekend in the lake region from Memorial Day to Columbus Day. Our 2nd home is in Meredith. During all this time that I have enjoyed the different forums I have never felt compelled like I do today to come to the defense of one of our favorite restaurants. Karen & Barry's.... Now before I go any further I dont personally know Karen or Barry - we do however, enjoy their restaurant numerous time a month during the summer months. I agree with the previous poster - are their "better" restaurants: ie: The Woodshed, The Brass Heart, The Common Man in Ashland, Canoe, The Coe House... yeah there are... and if you got a $100 bucks in your wallet & dont mind waiting 90 minutes for a table on a Saturday night... have at it... But for those summer Saturday nights when we have been either on the boat or the bike all day and we just want a comfortable, delicious meal- we head for Karen & Barry's. Barry your lasagna is to die for. I have cravings for it on winter weekends. We have even driven to the lake in December to have your lasagna ..
So people can say what they will, and believe what they will, but if you want a great dinner, surrounded by nice people, and excellent prices you can not go wrong, in my opinion, with a dinner at Karen & Barry's. Karen greets us at the door & waitresses are pleasant, & clean !!. Service is always good. The bathroom is clean but could use some updating... but again... we are not at the MILL RESTAURANTS... (24 days until Spring ) ...Dont worry Barry there are people that know and appreciate what you do and one persons angry posting isnt gonna change my mind...
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
G & G

I was so happy to visit the forum today and see the positive remarks about Karen and Barry's. I agree wholeheartedly with those sentiments. I stand by my first ever letter to the forum where I spoke very highly of this restaurant. My husband and I travel extensively and eat out alot at many different kinds of places, a whole spectrum of places. The meals at Karen and Barry's have always been delicious. The veal dish (which I get every time b/c I cannot resist it) can be easily cut with a fork and melts in your mouth. The decor reminds me of an old fashioned place, clean with no frills, a place that makes you feel at home, with reasonable prices. They have thoughtfully and obviously put money into the place to update it. And as I stated before in my prior message to the forum, I have no connection to this restaurant other than enjoying visits to their place.
G & G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
KonaChick

baby45....perhaps you could share on the forum what the contractors are planning to do to update the restaurant..that might calm some fears about the comments that it's outdated and dirty. We too have been to your place and had a great meal! Yes, the place needs some work but it looks as if you're hard at work on that one.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #11
Silver Duck

Skip

I don't know anything about hash; for me, Barry's lsasgna usually pre-empts all other choices! (Though lately his pizza has begun to give it a run for its money! Decisions, decisions.)

And, thanks for the vote of confidence!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:18 AM   #12
Hermit Cover

Thumbs up Restaurant Reviewer?

After another really good meal at Karen and Barry's on Wednesday nite it's time for another post to support this restaurant. It has what Mrs. Cover and I feel is good food at a very reasonable price and the service is efficient and polite. If we want New York City Italian we go to New York City...If we authentic "Real Italian" food we usually go to Italy. If we want an honest value in good food in Meredith, New Hampshire we usually find a table open at Karen and Barry's. Never had a bad experience there....and don't expect to.

One thing I've noticed over the years in the forum are the antics of bogus restaurant critics....those who really "know" their food and are obviously experts in the art of culinary science and restaurant management. I get a kick when I "click" on their names and find the other posts these critics have posted on this forum. Amazing results appear.....one quickly determines that these folks are not critics at all...they are simply those that delight in negativity....they have no positive contributions....nothing to say that is good about anything....just negative posts....try it for yourself when you see posts that seem suspicious..you'll be amazed as I was.

If you like good food....see you at Karen and Barry's.....we're looking forward to their next five years. We enjoy seeing all those people at other tables....the regulars... and first-timers who like this restaurant like Mrs. Hermit Cover and me.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:39 AM   #13
valhala

Default restaurant reviewer

Dear Hermit Cover,
I take exception to your comments. I enjoy reading all points of view on the forum - both those that agree and disagree - respectfully.
I posted my thoughts on K&B's from my personal point of view, and made that clear. I do not attack others for their point of view. And you may go ahead and click on my name, and read my previous posts, none of them are negative. I am not in the habit of posting, only to post negative comments. So please be careful who you lump together as negative people. This was the first time I have ever posted my displeasure with a particular establishment. It has probably been three years since I have been there, so perhaps things have improved. I am going to give K&B's another try, based on the merits of the owner's response and others who posted that they recently enjoyed the restaurant.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #14
dpg

Valhala - when you try the restaurant again please post back about your findings.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo
The place is dirty- does Meredith have a board of health?

The chef and owner smoke as they serve and cook.
Makes me wonder about this post. I mean someone either saw the smoking or did not???
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #16
Hermit Cover

Smile Negative Schmegative...

Dear Valhala, Sorry if you felt "lumped" by my comment....I had not "clicked" you and wasn't referring to your submission. The shoe obviously doesn't fit your foot. If you felt that I was attacking what you personally commented....I apologize in open forum. But....while I'm at it I do wish to make another observation.

The Forum is questioned over and over again "Whatever happened to --------Restaurant?"....One can count on very few fingers the number of lakes region restaurants that have the same location, ownership, management, and chefs for the past five years. The survivors....let's call them "successful" are in the small minority. Some have disappeared faster than a BMW with the keys left in the ignition! Those people who care enough to praise the successful operations can't All be wrong ALL the time... A successful restaurant can't survive with lousy food, too high prices, poor service, and dirt. And they don't.

Barry's lasagna is very good......
Old 02-27-2006, 05:39 PM   #17
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover
... A successful restaurant can't survive with lousy food, too high prices, poor service, and dirt....
Have you ever eaten in an airport? What you say is generally true, but being in a good location like an airport or a tourist town can warp the rules. That said I've never eaten at Karen and Barry's but it does have great word of mouth. Now that I know where it is, I'll try it this summer. It has to be better than some of the overpriced tourist traps in Meredith.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #18
valhala

Default Positive Schmositive

Thanks Hermit Cover. My family and I live and work locally, so I am all for the local business being successful. I'll make time to give it another try.
So, I wonder how a place like the Nothin' Fancy, aka Rita's, aka Cafe Gringo has survived so long. Not exactly a culinary delight, and questionable housekeeping at best. Oh, oh. Am I in trouble for that one?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #19
jkjoshuatree

Talking Rita's/ Nothin' Fancy...

...stays in business because of the location, the people who work there, and because it's a fun place to have a cocktail or two.

I've never personally eaten there, but the place is pretty packed on weekends and at lunch.

I like it because the people who work there are very funny and very nice. And because it's in such a busy locatation as Weirs Beach, there's always a ton of different people bopping in and out. It's fun to stop in for a drink on a lazy summer afternoon.

Now, one of these days, maybe I'll make it past their margaritas and try the food.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #20
Phantom

To All:

This just might get me blackballed here - but here goes--

I find the restaurant threads quite informative (most times). As one who only gets to enjoy the Lake seasonally (for the last 18+ years) it provides a "preview of comming attractions" of sorts ...... ownership changes (that I would not otherwise be aware of), likes/dislikes of it's patrons, and new ventures (Kevin's as case in point) to try in the coming season and much more.

What I can't quite frankly stand is when one, two or more forum members -- and I am not directing this to any particular screen names-- attempt to hold a "Chat" session in a "FORUM".

I believe it is okay for someone not to like a particular restaurant be it bad service, food, atmosphere --- whatever. I have had them, we all have -- as well as the good. The point is - this is an excellant place to state ones "opinion/experiance" with the reasoning/ rationale that brought that opinion - post it - and be done with it!!!

I just hate it when these threads turn into something well beyond there intent --- a la the Canoe thread (which in my humble opinion) got way out of hand.

This is a good place to share experiances Good & Bad -- do so and move on!

Phantom steps off his soap box and prepares to be flogged by the masses
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #21
tricia1218

Phamtom I agree, no flogging necessary! An opinion/experience is just that, who is to say ones is wrong or right. I have always meant to try Karen & Barry's, but have not made it there yet. Will this thread influence my choice to try K&B's? No probably not.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #22
trfour

jkjoshuatree and others,

We have enjoyed the great food and friendly service at Nothin' Fancy for many years.

We will try Karen and Barry's the next time we are over that way.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #23
Newbiesaukee

Phantom, I absolutely agree. I probably will try K and B's as a result of the strong differences of opinion on both this year's and last year's threads concerning the restaurant.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #24
scott s

Default bordering on defamation!

Dirty? Smoking? That is ridiculous and as someone who has been to Karen and Barry's literally every week for the past two years, a TOTAL LIE.

All i can think is this person is a competitor or has some other axe to grind with Karen and Barry.

Is K&B's a "5 star" restaurant? No. But I have never found a better dinner for two for $50 anywhere.

These folks work hard to make a living and offer a good value. To defame them in such a childish way is just wrong.

Somebody needs to learn some ethics AND manners.

And, unlike him/her, I am willing to post my real name.

Scott Smith
Alton,NH

PS. K&B I'll see you tomorrow.
scott s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:36 AM   #25
wildo

I'm not a competitor and I don't have a personal grudge against K or B. I was dissappointed by my recent visit which was prompted by puffed up responses to this forum gleaming of quality and value. I felt is if I had been had. The comments I made although harsh where 100% truthful and reflected my experience and my opinion.

As for the positive side the red sauce was excellent.

All as I can say is to try it youself and report back-it is possible I got a bad dish on a bad day.
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 AM   #26
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo
be careful what people say as the information may not be accurate
Wildo's own words say it all.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:45 AM   #27
Skip W

Default Been there from the start

I've been a resident of Center Harbor and then Meredith, since 1985 and a regular customer at Karyn & Barry's since they opened. I've been there at all times of their operating hours, in the dining room and at the bar and have never, ever had a bad experience in all of that time, with the physical condition of the building, interior or exterior, the staff or the food.
Initially, I wasn't a big fan of their spaghetti sauce, as I always felt that no one made it like my Mom, but that's changed over the years, for the better. The varied menu is enough to make every visit seem like the first and the specials make for fun decisions night after night.
I guess if I can bump into so many 'locals' in Karen & Barry's on a regular basis, they certainly must be doing something right! I've seen many food establishments come and go in this area because they were not supported by the local residents after the Summer residents left for their homes. Karen & Barry remain because they produce a quality product combined with a pleasant, clean and very friendly atmosphere. It's actually fun to be there early in the off season and find them at a leisurely pace and actually able to say hello and for me to tell them just how wonderful the food is...and it always is!
S.W.
Skip W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 AM   #28
Hermit Cover

Default Karen and Barry's....remodel

Lot's of really nice changes have taken place at this restaurant. Many improvements...The dining room is refreshed and inviting. The bar area is redesigned and the food remains very good. Mrs. HC and I enjoy the "new" look and the always good food.......and Karen is a gem.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:27 PM   #29
ciaramaglia3

Hi All, I Feel The Need To Reply....karen And Barry's Rocks....i Tell You About An Experience We Had Last Summer....i Had Friends Visiting From S.c. And Never Had Been To The Lakes Region....well We Decided To Go The Guiseppes For Italian And Pizza With Our Family And Theirs.....it Was About 6 Pm.....took A Boat Ride And Arrived To Meredith.....we Went Into Guiseppes And There Were A Few People Waiting And Milling Around And My Husband Asked A Gentleman Who Had Just Checked In With A Large Party About How Long The Wait Was For Him(he Had 6-7 Adults With Him) He Replied 30 Minutes.....as We Reached The Bottom Of The Stairs (4 Adults And 4 Children) My Husband Approached The Owner And He Asked How Long It Would Be For Our Party.....well She Looked At All Of Us And Especially The Children Who Ranged In Age From 4-9 And Promptly Said 1 Hour And 45 Min.....(now The Restaurant Was Busy But She Clearly Was Being Discrimanatory On Who She Was Taking In That Night) Well She Knew Dam Well That We Would Absolutely Not Agree To This....so We Declined Like She Figured We Would And We All Left The Restaurant.....i Was Miffed And Needless To Say She Has Lost A Regular Customer And All Of Our Friends That We Have Told About This Incident....well, We Were Gonna Call It A Night And My Husband Spotted A Little Place On Top Of The Hill, That Was A Bit Rustic On The Outside And We Were All A Bit Questionable Upon Entering......well We Entered And It Was Just Like Walking Into A Little Italian Trattorria....not Fancy But Clean And Neatly Set Up...well We Were Immediately Welcomed By Karen And She Asked How Many And Immediately Moved Tables And Chairs To Comfortably Accommodate All Of Us Together....well Needless To Say We Ate Until We Could Not Eat Anymore.....appetizers And Salad And Bread And Then The Meals....my Husband Still Raves Everytime About The Sausages That Tasted Just Like His Grandma Made.....everything Was Excellent!!!!!!! And We Have Been Hooked Ever Since.....so My Money Wasn't Green Enough And My Family Wasn't To Guiseppies Liking........guess What ....she Loses.....we Spent New Years Eve With Karen And Barry And She Remembers Our Name And Welcomes Us Everytime With Open Arms....can't Say The Same For Her Competitor.....bravo Bravo Bravo K And B.....and My Three Little Boys Send Their Love.....we Will See U This Summer......remember The Extra Broccoli For Chris' Spagetti!!!!! Lol
ciaramaglia3 is offline   Reply With Quote