Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Knomad

Default Wolfeboro Inn Revisited

This past Thursday night my wife and I along with 9 others had the opportunity to experience a unique menu tasting at the Chefs Table 2 at Wolfe”s Tavern in the Wolfeboro Inn. Here we sampled a number of savory dishes on the current menu and concepts for future menus.

To start the evening, we learned about the ever expanding beer and wine selections in the lounge. Moving into the kitchen where the chief's table was set up, we had the chance sample a number of dishes and interact with Chef Hoke Wilson.

Our first tasting was from the luncheon menu and included a Turkey Panini, a Cuban Pulled Pork Panini and a Farm Island Roast Beef Dip. Though everything was very good, the favorite seemed to be the roast beef dip.

We then sampled the Short Rib Shepherds Pie and Wild Mushroom Ravioli from the current dinner menu. These were a twist on some old favorites made new and well worth trying.

Next we tried some new concepts for possible future menus. First was a Lobster Cake - like a crab cake only made with lobster meat. That was our favorite. In addition we tried Atlantic Salmon Crab & Spinach in a crisp spring roll wrapper and Seared Duck Breast done just right. Again, all were very good and innovative with sides that complemented each dish.

As you can imagine, by this time we were quite satiated. That is until the desserts to die for came out - a coconut cheese cake, lemon chiffon pie and a white chocolate raspberry bread pudding. All the desserts are home made by the chef's wife and were light enough to be a perfect ending to a meal. (You can order whole or ˝ portions) We may even get a group together and stop in for just a sampling of all the deserts and coffee some evening.

Another feature of Wolfe's Tavern is Chef Wilson's commitment to serving dishes that can be customized to meet you dietary needs or just your unique tastes.

If you haven't tried Wolfe's Tavern lately, we highly recomend you do. It has come a long way over the past few months toward meeting it's goal of being one of the top restaurants in the area.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Knomad For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-15-2012), BrownstoneNorth (04-13-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (04-16-2012), WakeboardMom (04-13-2012), Winona (04-14-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
BrownstoneNorth

Default Wolfeboro Inn revisited

Oooh, lobster cakes -- that alone would be enough to motivate us to try the place again. *First time we'd ever seen them was at the original seafood stand at Fiddlehead Farms. *We bought them occasionally to treat ourselves, but more often broke them up into small balls before baking to serve as hors d'oeuvres, and they were always a big hit.

As a matter of fact, lemon chiffon pie alone might do it for us, too. :-)

Congratulations, Mr. Soderberg, and also to your chef, for all these rave reviews -- you've come a long way!
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Hermit Cover

Default Easter Sunday Brunch

The Easter Brunch was very-well attended...and the reason ...The food was the best brunch we can remember. The selection was well rounded from the omelet station to the carving station...each of the meat selections...the prime rib, the lamb, and the ham were perfectly finished with three different sauces...each prepared by Chef Hoke. The deserts filled a room and were outstanding. We are now looking forward to the next brunch...Mother's Day. This restaurant is doing a great job and is becoming one of our favorites and from the brunch last week, looks like many others feel the same. They recommend reservations.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermit Cover For This Useful Post:
CateP (04-17-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
tomboymom

Default Just...Wow!

Mr. and Mrs. TBM had the very good fortune to be invited to the second Chef's Table last week, and came away most impressed.

The food...well, I'll get to that in a minute. I have to start with how impressed we were with the professionalism, sincerity and welcoming attitude displayed by General manager George, Beverage Manager Scott, and Chef Hoke. We truly felt as though THEY were grateful we took the time to partake of their hospitality. Imagine!

The concept of a Chef's Table was new to us, and intriguing. We love food, and love to dine out. We started by enjoying a glass of wine at the bar while we chatted with our fellow guests and heard an in-depth narrative from Scott about the beer, spirits and wine offered at the Inn, and his concepts for the future. As with Hoke when we sampled the food, Scott was fully attentive and interested in all of our comments and ideas.

We then moved to the actual Chef's Table, which to our surprise, was in the kitchen! And what a beautifully appointed, calm, immaculate kitchen it was. George and Scott accompanied us, so we had answers to our questions and feedback on our comments at all times as Chef Hoke brought us dish after dish of his accomplishments. Chef is passionate about food, and equally passionate about the idea that each person deserves to experience it the way that pleases them, not him. A very cool guy, that Chef Hoke.

The food itself was a mixture of current menu offerings and concepts that Chef Hoke is considering. The three lunch Paninis (turkey/avacado/bacon, Roast Beef Dip and Cuban Pork) were all delicious, but the Roast Beef won our favor with its delicious combination of Boursin cheese, caramelized onions, gooey melted cheese and savory broth for dipping.

We sampled two current dinner entrees, the Wild Mushroom Ravioli, which I will dream about until I can have it again, and the Short Rib Shepherd's Pie, which one table mate aptly renamed "Not Your Mother's Shepherd's Pie". Mr. TBM felt it masterfully managed to invoke the comfort of the original dish while making it something he would order on a special night out. Not a small feat!

The concepts included Lobster Cakes, a Salmon bronzed in a spring roll wrapper over hand rolled Cous Cous, and Seared Duck. All were excellent, but the Salmon won my heart with its innovative presentation and the simply amazing Cous Cous, which had a texture and flavor the likes of which I have never tasted before and can only hope to taste again...soon!

Desserts are made by Chef Hoke's wife, and a magician with sweets she is. The Lemon Chiffon Pie and Pina Colada cheesecake were awesome, but when Mr. TBM took his first bite of the White Chocolate Raspberry Bread Pudding (something he would never order, as a chocoholic), an expression of bliss came over his face that was actually pretty funny, it was so profound. He is never going to meet Mrs. Chef Hoke, as I'm a little worried her might leave me for her based on that bread pudding.

We are lifelong residents of Wolfeboro, and have seen the Inn through many ups and downs. We had an excellent family meal there in February for a special occasion (based on Winni.com reviews) and our experience at the Chef's Table only reinforces our opinion that the Inn is back..and a force to be reckoned with on the Wolfeboro Dining scene.
tomboymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Merrymeeting

Mrs. Merrymeeting and I were also lucky enough to have been invited to the Wolfeboro Inn Chef's Table II. It was a wonderful experience!

My career has been spent in customer service. In my view, George & Co have it right. Their interest in what the customer wants, and their desire to fulfill those needs is evident in everything they do. Our latest experiences at the Inn have been wonderful. George is clearly making the right changes, and we look forward to the continued improvement of services at The Inn.

Others have posted the comments that we would make already. The overall experience was memorable. The samples of the items on the current menu were very good, both lunch and dinner, and we're hoping that some of the concept items make the regular fare. I am not normally a fan of roast beef sandwiches, but the French Dip sandwich, regularly on the menu, will melt in your mouth.

What impressed us most was the clear passion that Chef Hoke demonstrated in wanting to deliver a meal that was a wonderful experience for his customer, no matter the preparation or the request. We were also impressed with the time and attention that George and Scott devoted to us, despite the fact that they had a significant event in progress at the same time we were there. They managed to make us feel like we were their sole focus for the evening, always a key indicator of a business focused on making the customer experience a unique evening.

Our only regret was missing the chance to try the proposed lobster cakes. From the time we arrived and saw them on the menu, we looked forward to the experience. But they were so well received that by the time the plate reached us, it was empty. If it makes the menu, definitely something we will order.

Thanks George, Scott, Chef Hoke! Not to forget Chef Hoke's dessert chef. The feature that made the night for Mrs. Merrymeeting! Her desserts are delicious!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
CateP

Since so many of us have participated in the Chef's table and are choosing to dine out there (again) it would be great if we could get a small forum group together and enjoy a meal there. Anybody interested?
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
NoBozo

"Happy Days Are Here Again"....."A Chicken In Every Pot". (For those younger persons here......FDR said that.) It seems everyone who gets a FREE Tasting at the Wolfeboro Inn ....Likes It. Sounds logical to me. If it isn't FREE..I stand corrected. Please advise how much it cost... NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
"Happy Days Are Here Again"....."A Chicken In Every Pot". (For those younger persons here......FDR said that.) It seems everyone who gets a FREE Tasting at the Wolfeboro Inn ....Likes It. Sounds logical to me. If it isn't FREE..I stand corrected. Please advise how much it cost... NB
Myself and family have not attended one of the excellent meals per the people that did and we just love the way things are being run now and we will continue to patronize the Inn when ever we have a chance as all our meals and service have been to perfection.
KPW (04-19-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
Pineedles

Quote:

During the 1928 presidential campaign, did Herbert Hoover really promise "a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage?"

The Hoover campaign used a variety of slogans in 1928 including "Vote for Prosperity," "Lest We Forget" (referring to Hoover's World War I relief work), and "Who but Hoover?"

Other slogans were introduced by Hoover supporters, often without direct input from Mr. Hoover. The link between Hoover and the phrase "a chicken in every pot" can be traced to a paid advertisement which apparently originated with the Republican National Committee, who inserted it into a number of newspapers during the 1928 campaign. The ad described in detail how the Republican administrations of Harding and Coolidge had "reduced hours and increased earning capacity, silenced discontent, put the proverbial 'chicken in every pot.' And a car in every backyard, to boot." The ad concluded that a vote for Hoover would be a vote for continued prosperity.

Hoover did make a variety of optimistic statements during the campaign, such as, "the slogan of progress is changing from the full dinner pail to the full garage," and "given a chance to go forward with the policies of the last eight years, and we shall soon with the help of God be in sight of the day when poverty will be banished from this Nation," but Hoover never promised "a chicken in every pot."
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
WakeboardMom

Quote:
It seems everyone who gets a FREE Tasting at the Wolfeboro Inn ....Likes It. Sounds logical to me. If it isn't FREE..I stand corrected. Please advise how much it cost... NB
Mr. Soderberg is considering having Chef's Table events that will be paid for by the patrons. I don't feel it's my place to say the amount he mentioned, but if it is something that is scheduled, I would be more than willing to be a participant. It was an honor and a privilege to be a part of the dinner, and I don't think anyone who was there took it lightly.
NoBozo (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
NoBozo

Thanks Pineedles for the info. I wasn't aware those slogans went back that far. Now I know. NB
Old 04-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Since so many of us have participated in the Chef's table and are choosing to dine out there (again) it would be great if we could get a small forum group together and enjoy a meal there. Anybody interested?

Count me in, even if it's just you and me Cate.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
Hermit Cover

Thumbs up Great idea, Cate

Mrs.HC and I are getting to be regulars and always enjoy spending time with friendly people (Forum Folks)..Let us know
Old 04-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
Island Girl

Default Mini-Fest

Along the years since the first Forum Fest, there have been some impromptu Mini-Fests. Here is the album from the Pepper Fest a few years ago. http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo....php?cat=15078

It was held at Waldo Peppers in early April of 2006, before ice out. We named it Pepper Fest after Barbara who owned the restaurant with her husband, Waldo (Bruce).

Then in February one year the Jersey contingent came north and we had a mini fest at the restaurant in Alton near what is now Fiddleheads. I believe Mee and Mac were there as well... where are you guys?

Then the 10th anniversary fest at Waldo Peppers celebrating the 10th anniversary of Winnipesaukee.com. Our illustruous webmaster came for that one.

I probably have pictures from all of them... somewhere.

So if you want a mini-fest... just announce the date, time and place and ask people to reply if they can make it... sometimes people just show up!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-20-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
secondcurve

What did ever happen to Mee and Mac?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #16
KPW

Quote:
I don't know about you NB, but my taste buds do not change based on what I pay. Hopefully the Wolfeboro Inn will offer the Chef's table as an option for dinner. What a great way to get together with friends and taste the Chef's latest creation. It gives the establishment one on one interaction with customers. I did attend the latest event and thoroughly enjoyed it.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
What did ever happen to Mee and Mac?
I miss M&M's humerous posts.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #18
Greene's Basin Girl

Stopped in at Wolf's Tavern the other night. The food was very good. We noticed on the way out that there was a soup and salad bar. We found our server and asked her about it. She said we could have purchased it for an extra $4.00. We wish we had known about before we ordered our meals. We would have enjoyed the salad bar. When I was a server during college (I was called a waitress back then) I tried to increase the total bill. This helped to increase my tips.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
gokart-mozart

Default Mother's Day at the Wolfeboro Inn

I took my wife and five children to the Wolfeboro Inn for brunch yesterday, and I must say that it was nearly flawless.

We were seated quickly at a table for seven. The wait staff and supervisors could not have been more courteous or helpful.

The food was well-organized, plentiful, and of a very high standard. When I speak of a high standard, I am comparing the food favorably with restaurants I have enjoyed in New York, San Francisco, and Continental Europe. There was no better food in Wolfeboro yesterday, for certain.

George Soderberg was incredibly gracious working at one of the food stations.

All in all, fabulous! The Wolfeboro Inn as a culinary experience may have arrived.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gokart-mozart For This Useful Post:
camp guy (05-14-2012), RLW (05-14-2012), WakeboardMom (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
George Soderberg was incredibly gracious working at one of the food stations.
What is a "Food Station"..?? Just wondering....I am not familiar with that term.......Unless George was actually carving Prime Rib from a cart..or something....I have seen that done... NB

OH WAIT: Nobody gets Prime Rib for BRUNCH...SO now I am more confused... Maybe I'm confusing myself..
Old 05-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
BlackCatIslander

Usually at events and sometimes in restaurants there will be food stations which are a table where a chef may be cooking individual portions of pasta, another table for a large roast, ham, etc or doing omlets. There can be many or few stations.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackCatIslander For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #22
Hermit Cover

Default Mother's Day Brunch

It was impressive....there were multiple food stations serving different selections.......all well-prepared. The carving station manned by Chef Hoke had really delicious pork roast and the best Prime Rib I've ever eaten...tender, well-roasted and so easy to make me want seconds.

This restaurant was packed and the food was great as well as the service. Need, also, to mention the dessert selection....at least a dozen choices, all lovingly prepared by the pastry chef, and that would be Chef Hoke's wife.

This restaurant is becoming our favorite...we've never been disappointed.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
SIKSUKR

A carving station along with an omlette making station are typical food stations.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #24
Barbara

I'm so happy to read such wonderful things recently about the Inn. I was there for both lunch and dinner in the last few weeks and have greatly enjoyed it. I love Jamie, the tavern manager, so warm and friendly.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #25
Heading4thelake

Went to Wolfe's Tavern last night for sandwiches. There were 4 of us and we started off with a nice hostess who told us they were clearing a table and it would be just a minute and it was. After being seated a waitress came over and asked about drinks. We ordered promptly and dinner was a little slow BUT they were very busy. Everyone's food was very good. I was so impressed to see the bus boy wearinf a nice shirt and a tie. Asked the waitress about the outfit and was told it was the general manager George Sodenberg. Being a person in my job jumping into what ever is needed, I was very impressed as he was working al the time. Would recommend The Wolfe"s Tavern very highly!!
Heading4thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heading4thelake For This Useful Post:
KPW (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #26
Newbiesaukee

We ate at the Tavern Last night. A very nice experience. The service was excellent ( our waiter was Topher) and the food was creative and good. Many menu selections at different price points. We had clam chowder, mushroom ravioli, and crumble with ice cream for dessert. Desserts could be ordered in 1/2 portions which is an excellent idea; sometimes you just want a little something sweet.

Clearly a lot of effort was put into improving the Tavern and it is paying off.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
KPW (07-12-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #27
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
We ate at the Tavern Last night. The service was excellent ( our waiter was Topher)
No kidding.70s show star Eric Foreman is working at the tavern?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #28
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
No kidding.70s show star Eric Foreman is working at the tavern?
Could be! He's a Brewster graduate...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0333410/bio
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #29
Newbiesaukee

The acting stuff just wasn't workin' for him.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #30
Grady223

Default That's better!

Well, they have done it. As I have posted in the past our dining experience at the "new" Wolfe's Tavern had been disastrous. I was told by a friend at the beginning of the season that they had improved significantly. So, against my better judgement we gave them another try. Once for dinner in early August and then today for lunch. Both experience were very good. The food and service were substantially improved and we have put them back on our list of places to eat in Wolfeboro. Well done!
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grady223 For This Useful Post:
trfour (10-12-2012), WakeboardMom (09-04-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #31
KPW

Default Shuttle service?

Could you provide a shuttle service from the town docks?
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #32
Barbara

It's a VERY short walk from the town docks!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #33
Chaselady

Default Wolfe's Tavern

Just had dinner at Wolfes Tavern. We were pleasantly surprised. We had been disappointed in the past but tonight's dinner was excellent and we will definitely go back again.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #34
RLW

My wife and I just got back from attending a 4 PM Christmas Service at the First Christian Church across the street from the Inn. After the service we had reservations at the Inn and we enjoyed a wonderful meal and great atmosphere along with excellent service. We will attend the Inn many more times and will be very happy to take along friends and guest with us.
pondguy (12-25-2012)