Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
donnamatrix

Default Giusseppe's

Really. I don't know how this joint stays in business. The food is dreadful. A chicken parmesan sandwich consists of cut up bits of deep fried chicken, not a filet, which is the norm. It doesn't have any "parm" in it. The fellow who sings and plays piano on Friday nights is completely untalented. I don't get it. Worse than Hart's.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Smitty1

Their Gourmet Pesto Pizza is quite tasty!
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
hazelnut

Default Ok to me

I find it to be ok food and a decent atmosphere with friendly service. The pasta dishes are good and the Pizza is good too. I wouldn't say it is the best restaurant around but it is acceptable. I am surpirised at the negativity of this post. Seems extra harsh.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Corsa

Donnamatrix,
why do you need to bring the negative comments to this site.
It is very simple! If you do not care for the food, do not return.
People will make up their own minds if they do not care for it.
Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
BlackCatIslander

Default A Place for Opinions

I, for one, want to hear the good and the bad about the various restaurants in the lake region. Usually there is enough comment so that one can make up their mind whether they want to try out a resaurant that is new to them. I certainly don't want to see any restaurants suffer from bad reviews but hopefully they get the comments about any shortcomings and make changes.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
jetskier

Default Absolutely!

I have seen lot's of reviews that differ from my experience (good or bad); but it is important that everyone be able to express their experiences. I don't think that squelching anyone because you don't like their opinion is in the best interest of this forum.

Just my 2 cents.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:38 PM   #7
Seadoo

Default huh?

we always eat there and find it to be very good, maybe you had a bad dish i don't know but, the guy on the piano is very good.

we have always enjoyed it.
Seadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
codeman671

We ate there two weeks ago and all loved it. The food was very good, the appetizer was awesome. The Penne ala Vodka was good although not as good as Cartelli's in Dover. For people coming down here Cartelli's can't be beat.

I would definitely do Guiseppe's again and will. I think that opinions are important for this forum. Otherwise it would not be titled "Restaurant Information & Reviews".
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #9
B R

Default The Piano Guy

C'Mon, that guys great. He puts heart into his music.

I get the Veil Francesca(sp) and love it everytime.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Back to the Parm Sandwich

While I'd avoid calling the food dreadful, I also found the Parm Sandwich very strange. Donna describes it exactly correctly. I was disappointed... maybe they are just trying a new twist on an old sandwich... I took the time to pleasantly tell the waitress the truth when she asked the traditional.. "How was your food?"
Her response was very candid... "Allot of people say that..."

On the plus side, I was with a large group (11) that descended on them at lunch time 3 weeks ago... the staff went out of the way to get us all seated together. The food was very good for 10 of us. And the one guy that ordered the Parm in spite of my warning was disappointed.

We'll go back.... Just avoid the Parm if you looking for a "traditional" Parm sandwich.

Didn't see piano man so no review on that.

SteveA
Old 08-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
BlackCatIslander

Default Just a Thought

When we start a new thread, we should think a little bit about the heading. Even if I had a problem with a restaurant, I don't think that I would use "Giuseppe's UGH". All of the subseqent posts whether favorable or unfavorable are under that heading and the casual browser can get an erroneous impression if they don't read the entire thread.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:49 PM   #12
KonaChick

We've never had a problem there. We love the food, atmosphere and even the singer!! Every year my family (sometimes 20 +) come up and we always go out to Giuseppe's! They always accomdate us with wonderful service, hot delicious meals and are always so nice to the kids. Everyone has different experiences and opinions. For anyone thinking about NOT going because of the post I urge you to try it..you will not be disappointed. CIAO!!!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:01 PM   #13
jrc

I've only been there for lunch and the food was always good. It's not a gourmet place by any means, just solid Italian/American food. If it has tomato sauce on it, they probably make it. I have never left hungry and usually leave with food.

That said, they sometimes cut a few corners to shorten cooking time. Like the chicken parm sub, the sausage parm sub is made from sliced up sausage. My guess is they prep all the sub ingredients by cooking them and slicing them. When you order a sub they put all the stuff on the roll with sauce and cheese then toast it in the oven. If the fillings were whole, they wouldn't heat up enough. I've seen this in other sub shops but you don't expect it in a sit down restaurant.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:37 AM   #14
Pam

I love Giusseppe's, though my daughter's boyfriend did not like one of their parm dishes, as I recall. I have my favorite items on the menu, and find them consistently good. Plus, the atmosphere is relaxing and fun.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:38 PM   #15
loony

Been to Giusseppe's a few times. The entree's are so-so, the pizza is very good. There are few places up there that have live music in a relaxing an fun atmosphere. Giovanni is very talented and knows many of the jazz standards. When I go there, especially with a group we usually stick to pizza.
Open Mike night on Sundays can be a lot of fun. Many locals come out of the woodwork to perform, and you never know what you'll see or hear!!!!

If your looking for great Italian food, go to Abondante around the corner on Main St.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #16
Resident 2B

Thumbs up Giusseppe's

We have been to Giusseppe's several times during the last 15 months, in all the seasons. We have always enjoyed the food and the music. It is always a very good overall value in our opinion.

It is important that posters are able to give their opinions of lake area establishments. This is one of the many benefits of having this forum. Not everyone will have the same opinion, but the overall information is valuable and the sharing of these opinions should be encouraged. I respect everyone's opinion even when it differs from my personal opinion.

I am happy the name of this thread has been modified in the interest of fairness.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:22 PM   #17
skisox24

Default Casual Dining

OK, we all seem to agree that the cuisine at Guisseppe's is not gourmet. Quite frankly, what is in the Lakes Region? However, this is one of the most consistently reliable family casual restauants in our area. Great location and reasonably helpful service staff. The place is always busy, so that should mean something. In a quirky way, I love their garlicky Ceasar salad dressing. It is disctinctive and remains consistent over the years. We don't eat pizza, but the younger members of our family never complained. The kitchen help is probably younger kids doing the best job that they can. We think that the overall experience at Guisseppe's is well worth the price....a 'good value for reasonable tasty food. Don't look for a Zagat rating, but do enjoy the experience, it ain't bad.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #18
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisox24
OK, we all seem to agree that the cuisine at Guisseppe's is not gourmet. Quite frankly, what is in the Lakes Region?
Canoe is close to gourmet quality, and The William Tell is, too.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #19
Nadia

Question Hmmmm

Hmmm, ok. I'm probably opening myself up to an awful lot of critisizm here, and I'm not looking to start an argument, but Donna, I'd really be interested in knowing, what restaraunts do you enjoy?
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #20
donnamatrix

Default Fave restaurants

Hi Nadia. Love your posts, and your food. I think there are many really good restaurants around the Lakes region, many are very consistent in their quality. IMHO, they include:
Nadia
Pepper's
Abondante
Canoe
Mis en Place (my fave)
William Tell in Alton (2nd fave)
Flatbread in Conway (BEST pizza outside of Italy)
Lago
Lemon Grass (can be a little uneven and open kitchen enables your clothing to have the aroma of that evening's special, but really like it)
Italian Farmhouse
Inn at Danbury
Peking Tokyo

Sure do wish we had more ethnic restaurants (eg, Indian, Russian, anything)

Guess this will start it all up again!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:29 AM   #21
jkjoshuatree

Wink Canoe And Corner House Inn Are My Favorites!!

I love Canoe myself. Great stuff!!! And of course the Corner House Inn-this place doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

Flatbread is some of the best pizza I've had (along with Fig's in Boston and of course Regina's in the North End).

I really wish they'd open a Flatbread somewhere around the lake. It would do a killer business. It's just pizza and salad (and the best brownie sundaes for dessert) but it's really an upbeat, fun place and the people are super nice.

Let's start a petition for Flatbread.

There's another one in Portsmouth and one in Vermont just outside of Warren one in Amesbury Mass, and one in Canton Connecticut too.

Try them out!!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #22
donnamatrix

Default Great Idea

How do we go about petitioning Flat Bread to open a shop somewhere near us? That would be so awesome -- but fattening too. Their lemonade (that contains a bit of maple syrup) is absolutely killer. The salad I yearn for. It's the best reason to go to N. Conway!! The other place in Boston that is killer is Upper Crust on Charles Street, they also have a place in Lexington, right of the main street, next to a Chinese restaurant. Absolutely terrific pizza.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #23
SIKSUKR

I ate at flatbreads in Potrtsmouth a couple of weeks ago.Excellent!!There is also one in Portland.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:36 AM   #24
Nadia

Smile

I wish we had more ethnic places around here too. I myself love Turkish and Greek food! I haven't been to N.Conway in a while, the traffic drives me bonkers. Lemonade with maple syrup? Now that sounds interesting. Although I don't think I could drive to N.Conway for pizza. Pepper has me spoiled with her "wings over hawaii" and "barnyard stormer". That woman makes the best pizza I have ever eaten.

I'm going to check out the William Tell sometime. Maybe read some threads on here. I've never been, it's not too far from where I live. Seems you and I have similar tastes Donna so I might check it out. I've heard mixed reviews, but the good ones are RAVES. Do you have a favorite dish there? That's a german style cuisine, correct?
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #25
donnamatrix

Default William Tell-Alton

Hi, it is German cuisine. Sue and Peter do a great job there, anything you order is wonderful, but you MUST order the appetizer that consists of small veal meatballs in a cream sauce served in puff pastry. Omigod. You really don't need dinner after that!! I've had an office holiday party at WT, in the upstairs room, which is quite nice and quiet. You'll like it. I know for us it's time to get over there for a weiner schnitzel fix.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:52 AM   #26
Phantom

Mis en Place ???

Details please ! Never heard of it ..... perhaps because it's not in the immediate (Winni) area?

Other, what I will call consistant dining experiances not mentioned are

C J Avery's -- (get the Prime rib)
Fratello's
Mame's
Woodshed ($pricey$)
51 Mill St
Old 09-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #27
KPW

Default Mis en Place ???

Mis en Place is a small restaurant in Wolfeboro. If you take the road between the Post Office and Hunters, go to the end and take a right, it is a few hundred yards on your left. Pretty much gourmet. Very good food.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:32 AM   #28
Mickomally

Default Ugh

I have never had a good experience at Giusseppe's.
I've given them a number of opportunities to change my mind, but now I avoid the place.
I know people who like the place, I guess it's just not for me.
Mickomally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #29
mets3007

Default Meh

Giusseppe's I went to once with 2 friends and we made reservations when we get there they tell us we have to wait 45 mins-1hr which I found weird since we made reservations anyways the food was decent nothing to brag about so I wont go back there and have not been there since the time I went there which was summer 2002.

Also places I like to eat at
Breakfast:
Ames Farm Inn
Donna Jean's
Paugus Bay Diner
Kellerhaus weekends
DINNER:
Galley
Jt's bbq
Patricks
Antler
ICE Cream
Lilikulani's on Paugus Bay area.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #30
Buster

Default Giusseppe's

Giusseppe's food-wise is just okay, except that they have good pizza, especially the White Pizza. However, the pianist, Giovanni Varano, is absolutely spectacular and worth the trip in itself. He is European trained and equally adept at pulling off a Chopin Polonaise as he is at performing any requested popular or jazz tune. He is certainly the best dinner entertainment in the area!

We discontinued going to Fratello's two years ago not because we didn't like the food or the style of their music, but as a professional musician myself, knew the "pianist" was nothing more than a fake. Having to hear him stumble through the theme song to "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" is enough to spoil any dinner.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #31
secondcurve

I visit Giusseppe's several times a summer, usually after a boat ride across the lake. It certainly isn't gourmet dining, but that isn't its product. The pizza and pasta are tasty and the beer is cold. The atmosphere is pleasant and everyone I've taken there has enjoyed the experience.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:40 AM   #32
hockeypuck

I agree with you secondcurve. Fine dining it's not, but it is a fun time and great for groups and familys. I always say, when in Rome, do as the Romans. Don't go to a steakhouse and order Italian or to the coast of Maine and order a steak. My only knock on Glusseppe's is the wait time, Which is a good thing for the restaurant, bad thing for those in a hurry, but overall I enjoy experience.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #33
The Big Kahuna

Default Giusseppe's it is

Giusseppe's is a good place to go when you are looking for casual dinning, can't decide on pizza or a full meal and you want a comfortable attmosphere. You may get lucky and its not busy or you can run into them when they are packed. I have used my baseball analogy with Giusseppe's, if I get 3 good meals out of 4, I am batting .750 and to me that is an All Star performance. For some reason the thing they don't do well is their chicken and parm subs, not a favorite of mine. Pizza is always great, you can't go wrong. That's my take on the place.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote