Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
pianoman

Question

Hi all,

I've not posted here yet, but as a Lakes region resident of only about a year, I've not tried most of the restaurants folks have listed here. But it gives my wife and I MUCH to think about when dining out. That is one perspective.

As a Pianist/Vocalist, having played as a single and in combos, in many restaurant settings, and who is seeking which places to approach to offer my musical services, this forum has been a very helpful resource in many ways.

But it got me to thinking. As most posts in this section are from the patrons of these mostly, fine dining establishments, I thought I'd ask your opinions about how you think LIVE music functions best in a restaurant setting?

Is LIVE music MOST effective in making your dining experience very enjoyable when it is strickly in the background to create a certain atmosphere?

Or....is your dining experience enhanced when there is some interaction with the musicians, maybe in the form of requests, back and forth banter or audience repoire?

What types of music or individual songs always seem to complement your restaurant visit?

pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
Phantom

Well, I'll jump in here if no one else will -

Personally, I love to have live music in the resturaunt / lounge. I feel there are numerous talented individuals around the area and would think it to be a low expense (at least "in season") for the owners.

In the Resturant I feel it should be background music. If folks want a request, most are savvy enough to approach the artist during a song break or slip a note. Each resturaunt has it's own atmosphere and therefore the music genre should be appropriate (common sense) a la what fits best - a piano, guitar (solo's) or small groups.

With regard to "interaction" thats fine in a lounge / pub setting ..... and somewhat expected I would think. It's a more casual setting.

I think this is pretty much stating the obvious ............... maybe not.

My personal favorite it listening to someone who can play a 12 sting guitar well and has a voice to go with it.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
GTO

Default Music/dinner

As long as the music being played is done so as background music. Request should be taken and you should be able to play to your audience. If there are children there, cater to them too. Play a song or two that they would recognize from the favorite show or cartoon. My favorite place to eat is Silos in Merrimack NH because of their Filet. They have a piano player there but its always just classical music which gets old real quick
Old 03-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Since you brought it up,Pianoman....I've got to tell you....and I'm dating myself.But I miss the "good ol' days" when rock and roll waqs king.Durring the 70's and 80's there were 10 or 12 great clubs , all with good bands,and they were packed every night.Does anyone remember the Silver lining lounge,the Stonehearth,Christmas Island,Jade Island,the Depot...and the best of them all...the White Hat in Holderness where they featured blues bands from Chicago and Detroit as well as many regional rock bands.
Now,because of the attention on DWI,clubs no longer dare stick their necks out and it's hard to find a good dance band any more.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
beaner

It's not just strict DWI laws that make restaurant owners reluctant to stick their necks out when it comes to offering music for their patrons. Unless the musician(s) are playing all original material, you have to make certain that you're squared away with BMI and ASCAP. They have been very, very aggressive in their enforcement in the Lakes Region. (Does anyone remember the "Downtown Lounge" in Laconia? As I recall, they were put out of business after a visit from a rep from BMI or ASCAP resulted in fines that ran into the thousands of dollars.)
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
pianoman

Smile Music I like to hear when I'm dining out...

I know that I certainly enjoy my meal more is someone if is playing 'easy listening' popular music that I recognize. But not just that I recognize it because they sound like the recording, but actually play it in a way that is arranged to sound interesting.

Maybe they've taken some creative license with it and play it faster than usual if it was a popular slow song. Or if it grew to popularity as a medium or faster song, they might slow it down.

Maybe they'll fool with a different rhythm....or play it using instruments different than when it was recorded.........there's just SOOOOOO many
ways to make a song interesting yet still keep it recongizable yet easy to listen to.

Or are most people here content to hear Sinatra and Elvis wannabe's?

Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
Grant

Default Great Local Band

Well this won't count as 'fine dining,' but I like the joint...

The Bad Moose in Moultonborough has live music occasionally. A few weeks ago, we saw a REALLY good trio that played a great assortment of what most would now call "classic rock" tunes. They were called "Ricky and the Giants" (web site with the same name), and their lead guitarist was arguably the best bar band guitarist I've ever seen. Their schedule is on the web site. Good times. (And good burritos...)
Old 03-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
Jan

Default Giovannie!

Our favorite is Giovannie at Giuseppe's in Meredith.

He plays piano and sings a variety of music styles including some great Italian "Godfather" music that always makes eating Italian food more fun. There is more about him on this web page http://www.giuseppesnh.com/entertainment.htm.

It's never too loud and the music seems well suited for the atmosphere. To me it's a great background for my dinner and we try to visit on nights when he's playing.

Giuseppe's has entertainment every night so maybe there is work for you there pianoman.

J
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
MaryS

perfect post question Piano man!!! Where are all the bands/trios around the Lakes especially during the peak seasons??? In CT, we always pick a dining place for the music and so casual dinning....wonderful jazz bands/trios locally which brings in more volume to the restaurant...we love live musicians!!! last summer in NH on a sat nite in July there was a single guitar player in Abondante in Meredith....no space to play or many tables to dine...he finished his gig early 10pm...and there was no where else to go that night.no other music happenings in prime season!...we were so disappointed....I am on the internet weekly to find bands for Fri and Sat night in CT and NH depending where we will be..It seems many are in Portsmouth, Manchester, Concord and not around the Lakes.....we would love to come to hear you Piano man....will you playing any gigs nearby????
MaryS
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
pianoman

Thumbs up Live Restaurant Music !

Thanks for the tip Jan.
At present I'm stopping by places I've read in the forum here, that says they offer live music. I'm dropping off my info at places from Wolfeboro to Holderness to Meredith and Laconia.

So I'll be dropping by Giuseppe's as well as some others.

I'm even checking out some places around North Conway.

In fact, just last Saturday, I played with my trio 'Jazmin' at The Flatbread Company, as it hosted a chili contest and it gave us a chance to be heard by many restaurants entered in the contest. Many seemed impressed enough to
hire us for some future dates.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

MaryS, like yourself, it is a business mystery why many restaurants choose to offer music on offnights like Thursdays and Sundays and omit the busier Friday and Saturday evenings.

My only guess is that they are wanting the entertainment to help attract more people to build up those nights.

I will perform at the Ellacoya Barn & Grill on Sunday night, April 30, as I keep a running appearance schedule on my website linked to my username here. But I expect to be adding some dates sooner than that.

By the way, when you do get a chance to hear me or my group, what are some of your favorites? I'd love to play them for you.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:37 AM   #11
Mickomally

Default Abondonte

I heard Abondante has started to feature live music.
Someone told me there was live jazz there on Thursdays.
Mickomally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:13 AM   #12
jlrm73

Yes, there is live jazz there on Thursdays. He is great!
jlrm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #13
Grant

If you get a chance, try to catch Ricky and the Giants. They play all over the place. Saw them in the Bad Moose in February -- arguably the best bar band I've seen.

Rickyandthegiants.com