Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Thumbs up Olde Bay Diner Alton Bay

Sitting around the house this morning (Sunday), and feeling really hungry, the better half and I (who says us guys aren't trainable ) decided to go out for breakfast. We hadn't eaten down at the bay since before my dad died in 1988 and the place was called Mel & Sally's.

We both had two eggs with hash browns, wife had english muffins and sausage patties, and I had wheat toast, sausage links and a side of bacon (chlorestoral --- that's what lipitor is for ). She had grapefruit juice and I had orange juice. We both had mucho Green Mountain coffee.

Food was excellent and so was the service. Only drawback was it was a little pricey ($22 and change before tip.) But, the eggs were cooked perfectly, the hash browns are probably the best I have ever had - not greasy or mushy- they were flavorful and crisp, sausage patties were nicely spiced and the links were excellent as well. Bacon was crisp and flavorful .

And under the clear table top was a Bizer lake chart...how great is that. Even in winter, you can look at the chart and look forward to the next years boating season.

Like the Phantom Gourmet would say, Olde Bay Diner is "Upthesaukee Approved."
Old 11-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Thumbs up Olde Bay Diner

Haven't been to the "Olde Bay" in a while. During the summer, on week-ends, there is often a line waiting at the door. (If there's a line check out the Main Street Cafe!) Here's a link to their menu. Prices are from this past summer. Don't know if they have changed. Bon Apetit!

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nm2c/r...menus/id8.html
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Merrymeeting

Default Mel and Sally

More local trivia....

Mel and Sally lived on Merrymeeting. My sister worked as a waitress for a couple of summers when she was in her teens (early 80's). She also dated Mel and Sally's son who was about the same age.

Sometime in the mid-90's, they sold and moved away. Don't know what happened to them since then.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
Waterbaby

Default Nostalgic Wave Hits!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
Sitting around the house this morning (Sunday), and feeling really hungry, the better half and I (who says us guys aren't trainable ) decided to go out for breakfast. We hadn't eaten down at the bay since before my dad died in 1988 and the place was called Mel & Sally's.

We both had two eggs with hash browns, wife had english muffins and sausage patties, and I had wheat toast, sausage links and a side of bacon (chlorestoral --- that's what lipitor is for ). She had grapefruit juice and I had orange juice. We both had mucho Green Mountain coffee.

Food was excellent and so was the service. Only drawback was it was a little pricey ($22 and change before tip.) But, the eggs were cooked perfectly, the hash browns are probably the best I have ever had - not greasy or mushy- they were flavorful and crisp, sausage patties were nicely spiced and the links were excellent as well. Bacon was crisp and flavorful .

And under the clear table top was a Bizer lake chart...how great is that. Even in winter, you can look at the chart and look forward to the next years boating season.

Like the Phantom Gourmet would say, Olde Bay Diner is "Upthesaukee Approved."
Thanks for posting the "old" name of the place! My Dad became friends with Mel and Sally, and we used to drive up from Hampton sometimes just to go the breakfast there! I was trying to remember what the name of it was back in the 80's, now I know! Sure wasn't as pricey then as now, I probably wouldn't have stayed after seeing the prices on the menu. (Instead would have been in the car, saying "PBD, here I come!")
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
trfour

Thumbs up Old Bay Diner, and Oak Birch Inn

From days past, and into the future my Family and friends have enjoyed so much from here!

Thanks Up!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
Niceorange

I typically hit the Olde Bay Diner up every winter on one of my snowmobiling trips into town. It's a nice way to warm up after an hour on the machines and the food and service has always been very good.
Niceorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
NHBUOY

fyi...Olde Bay Diner is also owned & operated by a very nice, long-standing, Alton Bay family...Good food, GOOD people..................enjoy...
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote