Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 08:46 AM   #1
LoveLakeLife

It’s problematic that some elementary schools have psychologists especially if they’re talking to kids without parental consent. Now I will take Descant’s advice and focus on the great weather and some jet skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-24-2022, 09:32 AM   #2
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
It’s problematic that some elementary schools have psychologists especially if they’re talking to kids without parental consent. Now I will take Descant’s advice and focus on the great weather and some jet skiing.

I work in an elementary school and what I find much more problematic than the presence of psychologists is the need some students have for mental health (and other) services coupled with the lack of availability. Blame whoever you want for the need, but in my first hand experience it is very real.

That said, round one of waterskiing was great, round two, with some wakeboarding thrown in, starts now!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (07-24-2022), XCR-700 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 09:34 AM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
It’s problematic that some elementary schools have psychologists especially if they’re talking to kids without parental consent.

Middle Schools and High Schools have school psychologists as well. As a (retired) school psychologist I'd be curious to hear you expound on this "problem".

The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (07-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 12:04 PM   #4
John Mercier

It means that we have a lot more ''damage'' in the shadows of our society than we know about.

I always felt when growing up that my grandparents, no matter how ruthless others thought them to be, were greatly concerned about what would happen should I have to face a Great Recession or war with the restrictions of WWII and not have the mental hardness necessary to cope.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 05:22 PM   #5
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Middle Schools and High Schools have school psychologists as well. As a (retired) school psychologist I'd be curious to hear you expound on this "problem".
I would echo what I believe is John’s observation: mental hardness. For hundreds of years no one heard of and there were no such things as school psychologists or “grief counselors.” If someone truly were to need some help in that area, it would be arranged by the family, not the government. “Toughen up, stiff upper lip, ‘sticks and stones,’ ‘walk it off,” were all sensical attitudes for generation after generation of normal Americans before and since the Founding. Now look what’s happened.

It was a great day to be on the lake. Skiing next weekend!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2022, 05:59 PM   #6
John Mercier

It could be we're noticing more abuse than training.

I was never punished for anything that I knew beforehand that I was going to be punished for should I partake in the action.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:57 PM   #7
SailinAway

Quote:
I would echo what I believe is John’s observation: mental hardness. For hundreds of years no one heard of and there were no such things as school psychologists or “grief counselors.” If someone truly were to need some help in that area, it would be arranged by the family, not the government.
And then along came Freud, who ruined a perfectly healthy society by discovering some of the reasons why people do the odd things they do and feel as they do. Actually, mental illness was known to the ancient Greeks. It might not be a good idea to extrapolate your personal experience to most people. If it were true that families were arranging psychological help for family members who need it, we would not be the pathological society that we are.

An interesting read is "Love at Goon Park: Harry Harlow and the Science of Affection" https://www.amazon.com/Love-Goon-Par.../dp/046502601X It explains how the parenting style of the early to mid 20th century evolved: lack of understanding in the 19th century of how germs were spread led parents to withhold physical affection from children out of fear of contaminating them with germs. This resulted in a hands-off parenting style that was passed from generation to generation. Your "mental hardness" philosophy is an extension of that historical trend. Harry Harlow's experiments with baby monkeys showed how that parenting style led to severe pathology due to the lack of bonding between parents and children. This was the beginning of attachment science. That's right, psychology is a science.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-25-2022), XCR-700 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 10:49 PM   #8
John Mercier

That is fair... but we went through quite a bit when I was young because teachers didn't want to accept that I was an introvert.

We then had to go through it with my nieces and nephews because someone at school placed it in their heads that the terrorist on 9/11 would come for them.

While it is nice that those outside the family are concerned... once the problem is determined, they have to learn to accept it.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:49 AM   #9
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
We then had to go through it with my nieces and nephews because someone at school placed it in their heads that the terrorist on 9/11 would come for them.
In the 1960s it was placed in children's heads that the Russians were coming for us via a nuclear attack from the air. We had regular air raid drills where we hid under our desks. No one thought about the emotional impact on young children of the news that we were going to be killed. I had nightmares about being bombed by the Russians for 30 years. Sadly this reality is being experienced by Ukranian children today.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:57 AM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,959 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
In the 1960s it was placed in children's heads that the Russians were coming for us via a nuclear attack from the air. We had regular air raid drills where we hid under our desks. No one thought about the emotional impact on young children of the news that we were going to be killed. I had nightmares about being bombed by the Russians for 30 years. Sadly this reality is being experienced by Ukranian children today.
I vividly remember those drills as well!! Always wondered what good hiding under a desk would do!

Dan
upthesaukee (07-26-2022), XCR-700 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 07:01 AM   #11
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I went through the same, only my school had a bomb-shelter. I also remember my history and geography books always showed photos of the Soviet Union in black & white. The result was a subliminal indoctrination that those citizens had no color in their lives.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:59 PM   #12
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I went through the same, only my school had a bomb-shelter. I also remember my history and geography books always showed photos of the Soviet Union in black & white. The result was a subliminal indoctrination that those citizens had no color in their lives.
And mostly they dont!

But you make a very interesting point about how we are all manipulated from an early age to believe whatever someone wants to think ;-)
Old 07-24-2022, 05:57 PM   #13
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
McDude I have no doubt of your skills and caring as a psychologist. My commentary was on the broader subject. I’ve enjoyed your posts for years.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:39 PM   #14
SailinAway

Quote:
It’s problematic that some elementary schools have psychologists especially if they’re talking to kids without parental consent.
I used to be a teacher, K-12. In elementary schools it was obvious in kindergarten and grade 1 which children were already handicapped by negative conditions in their homes, whether abuse, emotional deprivation, physical deprivation, etc. I forget what the protocol was for notifying parents, but I assure you that there are many children in elementary schools who have a great need for emotional support in and outside the classroom. Psychological support is a way to try to level the playing field so that these children can have an equal chance at success in school. School psychologists and social workers try to educate parents about children's emotional and developmental needs and enlist them in creating a healthy home environment. The whole family benefits.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-25-2022), XCR-700 (07-25-2022)
Closed Thread