Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
beantownbaby

Default Golf for NH second home owner

Our legal residence is elsewhere, but for a large portion of time we are up at Lake Winnipesaukee where we enjoy our vacation home and pay taxes into N.H. we have been up here for the past three months, so we don’t fall into the transient tourist category I believe the governor is trying to discourage from bringing virus into the state. And now we want to be able to play golf when not working.

The issue is you have to have a N.H. drivers license. Owning a home is not resident enough. Does anyone know if there is any way to be able to play golf in our situation? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #2
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantownbaby View Post
Our legal residence is elsewhere, but for a large portion of time we are up at Lake Winnipesaukee where we enjoy our vacation home and pay taxes into N.H. we have been up here for the past three months, so we don’t fall into the transient tourist category I believe the governor is trying to discourage from bringing virus into the state. And now we want to be able to play golf when not working.

The issue is you have to have a N.H. drivers license. Owning a home is not resident enough. Does anyone know if there is any way to be able to play golf in our situation? Thanks.
If you are a member of the golf club, you can play. Residents and Members.... this included camp grounds as well.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
Mr. V

Quote:
Not sure if it would work, but I'd bring some bills you've gotten for your NH residence to the golf course to show them your bonafides.

If they balk, threaten to sue: that'll shut em up.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

Quote:

Can’t golf but you could vote in November. Crazy stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-30-2020, 05:10 AM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Can’t golf but you could vote in November. Crazy stuff

No, you cannot vote in any election unless you are a resident. Your drivers license is used by the state to determine residency.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Flylady (05-30-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2020, 05:49 AM   #6
Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
If you are a member of the golf club, you can play.
Correct. Become a member of a club, and you will be permitted to play at that club. There is no other option that is compliant with the Stay at Home order.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:03 AM   #7
tbonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Not sure if it would work, but I'd bring some bills you've gotten for your NH residence to the golf course to show them your bonafides.

You mean try to violate what the State has directed and if that doesn't work, try playing tough guy? Great advice.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
No, you cannot vote in any election unless you are a resident. Your drivers license is used by the state to determine residency.
But “students” that are “domiciled” in a NH college, even though non-residents are allowed to vote, aren’t they?
Old 05-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #9
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
But “students” that are “domiciled” in a NH college, even though non-residents are allowed to vote, aren’t they?
Yes, students can vote in the state where they attend, provided they take the time to register. You cannot be registered to vote in two places.

I'm not a golfer but was surprised to learn about the restrictions placed on out of state golfers.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:27 AM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Don't go there with me

Quote:
Granted, in my college days, the voting age was 21. I went in the service at age 21, and maintained my home address in MA as my legal address. I got most of my mail at the mall room. When it came time to vote, I sent for, received, and returned an absentee ballot. I did that (we after wife and I married) until we established legal residence elsewhere 7 1/2 years after I entered the AF. We no longer had MA driver's licenses, we were renting in the community, our kids went to public schools, my wife worked in the community, we registered to vote (after proving our residency with a picture ID and utility bills), and we voted in our community.

If the young adults who are not paying NH taxes, registering their vehicles in NH, and obtaining NH driver's licenses while attending schools, colleges, universities, etc. In NH and want to vote in an election, let them get an absentee ballot from their home of record.
That's what the absentee ballot is for, among other reasons.

End of rant & back to the subject of golf

Dave
Hillcountry (05-30-2020), lakeporter65 (05-30-2020), Moccasin (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #11
WinnisquamZ

Agree. I do apologize for adding the voter information. With that said, have the golf courses been active? Tee time availability?

Old 05-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
You mean try to violate what the State has directed and if that doesn't work, try playing tough guy? Great advice.
I would argue that a local property owner and tax payer has the same bonafides as a year round resident.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
Chris M

Quote:
Maybe slip the attendant a $20. We can pretend we're free men once in a while and be rebels I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris M For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 06:36 AM   #14
secondcurve

You can’t play golf but feel free to go to any large city and burn cars, throw rocks and break windows. All that stuff is perfectly acceptable.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (06-01-2020), Chris M (05-31-2020), Hillcountry (05-31-2020), ishoot308 (05-31-2020), Seaplane Pilot (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 06:58 AM   #15
WeLoveTheLake

It is the same for a fishing license.

Even though we pay thousands in property taxes, water bill, boat registration fees, we have to pay the higher rate for a fishing license. Why?
Live free or Die.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:37 AM   #16
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveTheLake View Post
It is the same for a fishing license.

Even though we pay thousands in property taxes, water bill, boat registration fees, we have to pay the higher rate for a fishing license. Why?
Live free or Die.
What about people that live in NH, but work in Mass or Maine? They have to pay State income tax to the state where they work, but what benefits do they receive? In addition, I believe if one spouse works in Maine, but the other doesn’t, the state income tax is based on both of their earnings. How the hell is that fair? (I’m not an accountant, so I could be wrong about this, but I think it’s true.)
Old 05-31-2020, 08:52 AM   #17
WeLoveTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
What about people that live in NH, but work in Mass or Maine? They have to pay State income tax to the state where they work, but what benefits do they receive? In addition, I believe if one spouse works in Maine, but the other doesn’t, the state income tax is based on both of their earnings. How the hell is that fair? (I’m not an accountant, so I could be wrong about this, but I think it’s true.)
Agreed, you do make a good point.
There should be an out of state reduced tax rate, unless you qualify for Mass or Maine benefits.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #18
garysanfran

Default Taxation without representation...

Lots of taxes and no say!!!
Old 05-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #19
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Lots of taxes and no say!!!
But, doesn't everybody know this when they purchase a property?
Old 05-31-2020, 01:00 PM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
That was true about Maine SP but somebody told me that was changed. But the person working there still has to pay the tax on their salary.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 02:21 PM   #21
upthesaukee

Default I think you're right

Quote:
Somewhere between 2000 and 2005, a customer I worked closely with, when I was at Staples, casually asked me if I was happy working there and satisfied with my wages. I kinda went Ehhhhhhh, with a little frown.

He worked for Pratt and Whitney in Berwick ME and said they were hiring and paid well, but I worked have to pay ME income taxes, and he thought they would grab at least a portion of my wife's wages as well. I didn't pursue it.

Dave
Seaplane Pilot (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 06:47 PM   #22
tbonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident View Post
But, doesn't everybody know this when they purchase a property?
Yes, everyone knows. But some people are wired to continue whining. Just change the channel.
The Following User Says Thank You to tbonies For This Useful Post:
Paugus Bay Resident (06-02-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 07:12 PM   #23
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
Yes, everyone knows. But some people are wired to continue whining. Just change the channel.
A civilized discussion on this topic shouldn’t be considered whining. The topic of resident vs. non-resident taxpayers has been going on for decades, and isn’t likely to end any time soon. I am surprised that there aren’t more complaints from the non- residents because as taxes increase they still have no say in local government. However, they knew the score, or should have, when they purchased their property. What I find galling in our town (Moultonborough), quite a number of the residents feel quite entitled to “stick it to the non- resident taxpayers” who, by the way, pay 75% of the property taxes. I say this as a resident taxpayer, but it strikes me as greed on steroids to have this attitude. Forgive me...this thread seems to have veered off course from non- resident golfing (accidental pun).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (06-01-2020), upthesaukee (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 07:54 PM   #24
upthesaukee

Default Returning to golf

The thread either hooked or sliced into the rough, maybe even out of bounds.

Dave
Old 05-31-2020, 08:05 PM   #25
beantownbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

Dave
This certainly did go off the rails. I was really just trying to gauge if there was anything anyone knew to do for hubs to be able to enjoy golf with former work colleagues while the Covid restrictions were in place and we are up here for the duration. Thanks for the answers that were on topic. Stay healthy all.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:13 PM   #26
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Staying on topic...promise

Quote:
This certainly did go off the rails. I was really just trying to gauge if there was anything anyone knew to do for hubs to be able to enjoy golf with former work colleagues while the Covid restrictions were in place and we are up here for the duration. Thanks for the answers that were on topic. Stay healthy all.
Our grandson (MA) has played regularly ay Ridgewood C.C. in past years. I have no idea what their restrictions might be, if any, this year. You might want to give them a try, depending on your location. Ridgewood is on 109 in Moultonborough. 476-5930.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (06-13-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 08:33 PM   #27
secondcurve

Quote:

Dave
Actually I think we hit the ball into six feet of water!
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (05-31-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #28
rander7823

Default Stroke & Distance

Quote:

Dave
It time to take stroke and distance go back to the tee and hit it again
Old 06-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #29
BoatHouse

Default Kingswood Golf course - Wolfeboro

I too was trying to figure out how play golf as an out of state homeowner in NH.

Called the local golf course, Kingswood where I have played a few times each year.

Not only have they limited tee times to Members and NH residents as the Governors order requires, but they have made it Members only. Seems many members were not going to renew their memberships because they didn't think they would play as much this summer.

Once they made it member only, the memberships increased. I was told they are offering offer a 5 play NH resident only, but only see that on their Facebook page.

They have also eliminated the non-equity discount option so you need to pay the full member equity rate if you are over 41 and want to play before 2pm.

I was looking to get a membership for myself and my son who is a college student. This would have cost $3,179($2,240+$939). If I thought we would play 10 or more times this year, I would have done it. Or if I knew I could have a guest join me at a reduced rate, I would have done it. They did offer to reduce my membership by $500, which I think is a good deal and would have done it if I knew I could have out of state guests.

In the end, I decided to wait and see what happens June 15 when/if the stay at home order expires.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #30
Major

Default Lochmere

At the risk of ruining it for them with all of the do-gooders, try Lochmere. My sons played there last week, and they did not check IDs. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-01-2020), beantownbaby (06-13-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #31
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Back down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post

That's just plain silly. No club manager will risk being shut down for doing something illegal for a nasty non-resident. "Yes officer. He's the one who threatened me. The only car in the lot with MA plates."
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (06-04-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #32
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
That's just plain silly. No club manager will risk being shut down for doing something illegal for a nasty non-resident.
Ah, but if you own property in NH in are living / staying there when you wish to golf, are you not residing in NH?

Dual homes folks arguably are residing in the state in which they currently are staying: that's my argument, anyway.

It is beyond absurd to deny golf privileges to people who own real estate in NH, who pay your ridiculous taxes, and who are currently spending the night in their NH home.
Resident 2B (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #33
legend10

Yesterday the NH Task Force voted in favor that NH Golf move to Phase 2 (which would include courses opening up to non residents). However, I am not sure how quickly this will be approved by Sununu
The Following User Says Thank You to legend10 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 09:43 AM   #34
WinnisquamZ

“Approved by Sununu”. Has a odd ring to it

Old 06-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #35
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
“Approved by Sununu”. Has a odd ring to it

Sounds 100% better than say...”approved by Cuomo”
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #36
WinnisquamZ

Quote:

True

Old 06-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #37
Jersey Bob

Quote:
Or “approved by Murphy!“
The Following User Says Thank You to Jersey Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #38
The Eagle

Default Golf restriction question

I can understand why NH does not want out of state people (RE: MA) to "Socialize" because of the "Covid-19 counts" are high in MA. But someone brought up a good point! What about NH residents coming to MA to work, and then returning to NH to "Socialize". Weren't or couldn't they have been exposed to Covid-19 while in MA, and bring it back, then golf with other NH residents, and spreading it around? Why aren't NH residents following MA RULES, and "Self Quarantining" themselves for 14 days when they come into MA. They could have been exposed to the virus in NH and bringing it to MA and spreading it around as well! Doesn't YOUR NH rules state ANYONE entering NH after traveling from another state should be self quarantining themselves for 14 days, not golfing? Just my own personal view!
The Eagle

Last edited by The Eagle; 06-07-2020 at 08:14 AM.