Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
TheProfessor

Default NH Website - COVID-19 - by Town

Here is the statistics for Covid-19. For NH towns.

Might be posted someplace else here.

Map of towns.

LINK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
Phantom (04-15-2020), Rattlesnake Gal (05-05-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
TheProfessor

Have been viewing this daily for awhile.
With little change around the Lakes Region.
With the exception of Laconia and Gilford.

Governor Sununu has 30 Emergency Orders up to the date of this posting.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
Chris M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Governor Sununu has 30 Emergency Orders up to the date of this posting.
That's more emergency orders than all the small government, freedom-loving conservative rulers combined.

Good for a chuckle, like the old bumper sticker saying "Obama has launched more drone strikes than all other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined".
Old 04-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
TheProfessor

NH Emergency Orders up to 36 as of today.

Number of cases approaching 2,000 keep going UP each day.

Number of deaths still increasing.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
gravy boat

Default Updated numbers for NH

State of NH population: 1,360,000 (2019)
Number of Confirmed
Coronavirus Cases: 1,938
Number of Deaths
Attributed to Coronavirus: 60
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
State of NH population: 1,360,000 (2019)
Number of Confirmed
Coronavirus Cases: 1,938
Number of Deaths
Attributed to Coronavirus: 60
And explain to me again why we destroyed thousands of small local businesses for this so-called epidemic. Our governor, who I generally like, needs to take his cues from NH business owners, not the RINO governor of Massachusetts or the meathead governor from New York. So many people I know are suffering, and it's not from the Chinese coronavirus a/k/a the Wuhan Bat Flu.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-28-2020), Givemethewholeclam (04-30-2020), gravy boat (04-28-2020), Hillcountry (04-28-2020), jbolty (04-28-2020), lakeporter65 (04-29-2020), Rattlesnake Gal (05-05-2020), SAMIAM (04-29-2020), Seaplane Pilot (04-28-2020), tis (04-28-2020), watermaker (06-06-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
And explain to me again why we destroyed thousands of small local businesses for this so-called epidemic. Our governor, who I generally like, needs to take his cues from NH business owners, not the RINO governor of Massachusetts or the meathead governor from New York. So many people I know are suffering, and it's not from the Chinese coronavirus a/k/a the Wuhan Bat Flu.
Exactly, Major. I'm really disappointed in Sununu for the way he handled this.

The pushback has started in California:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sma...e=BB13ics0_1|3
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Major (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
Mr. V

Quote:
And explain to me again why we destroyed thousands of small local businesses for this so-called epidemic.
It was done in order to slow the spread of covid-19: I'd have thought that intent was obvious.

It remains to be seen as to how many businesses were in fact "destroyed."
JanN (04-29-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #9
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Oh!- Like you could have predicted the numbers and then decided there was no problem!?!
Old 04-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #10
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Oh!- Like you could have predicted the numbers and then decided there was no problem!?!
Rest assured, my last instinct would deprive Americans of their Constitutional rights. Why is it so difficult to admit that we have overreacted and mishandled this situation? There is absolutely no reason why any business, including restaurants, aren't up and running in New Hampshire.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #11
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Four mothers, all in nursing homes, of me and my wife's childhood friends all passed away in the past two weeks. Three in Mass nursing homes died from the virus, one in a NH nursing home died from a stroke.
The sad part is their families were not able to be by their side when they passed and they are not able to have a proper funeral.
It seems like being in a Mass nursing home is a death sentence during this pandemic.

Last edited by Biggd; 04-28-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:05 PM   #12
Mr. V

Quote:
Rest assured, my last instinct would deprive Americans of their Constitutional rights. Why is it so difficult to admit that we have overreacted and mishandled this situation? There is absolutely no reason why any business, including restaurants, aren't up and running in New Hampshire.
Really?

Look at Italy.

Were it not for social distancing and the closure of businesses and public gatherings we'd be in the same boat.

Let's see how they make out in Brazil: like you they think it's just a little flu.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #13
StevenGilford

Quote:
Why is it so difficult to admit that we have overreacted and mishandled this situation?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevenGilford For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (04-29-2020), TheRoBoat (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #14
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post

Do you know for sure that the red line would not have replicated the green line regardless of what we did? Of course not!

Answer me this - why haven’t all the extraordinary measures we have taken protected our most vulnerable victims in nursing/retirement facilities? We shut down our economy, social distanced, quarantined, used masks, gloves, etc., yet these efforts have failed. Statistically it is not young (under 65), healthy people who are dying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Chris M (05-07-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #15
Garcia

Quote:
Do you know for sure that the red line would not have replicated the green line regardless of what we did? Of course not!

Answer me this - why haven’t all the extraordinary measures we have taken protected our most vulnerable victims in nursing/retirement facilities? We shut down our economy, social distanced, quarantined, used masks, gloves, etc., yet these efforts have failed. Statistically it is not young (under 65), healthy people who are dying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is no clear, black and white answer to the question you ask. I'm not looking to debate what should have/could have been done differently. I will say that the draconian measure taken have most likely prevented more deaths from occurring in nursing homes/retirement communities. What seems clear to me is that once the virus is able to take hold in a populated place, it spreads very quickly, much quicker than a normal flu virus. No nursing home/retirement community can be completely sealed off as staff are coming and going. My take is that the widespread closures and social distancing efforts have helped minimize staff and employees from getting the disease and spreading it in nursing homes. The young, healthy people are the carriers. I'm not trying to answer your bigger question "was it worth it?". Looking at how quickly the virus spreads in close knit communities like nursing homes and retirement communities, I think it is safe to assume the virus would have spread quickly if cities and mass transportation had not made changes. Again, was it worth it? Some say yes, some no.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #16
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
There is no clear, black and white answer to the question you ask. I'm not looking to debate what should have/could have been done differently. I will say that the draconian measure taken have most likely prevented more deaths from occurring in nursing homes/retirement communities. What seems clear to me is that once the virus is able to take hold in a populated place, it spreads very quickly, much quicker than a normal flu virus. No nursing home/retirement community can be completely sealed off as staff are coming and going. My take is that the widespread closures and social distancing efforts have helped minimize staff and employees from getting the disease and spreading it in nursing homes. The young, healthy people are the carriers. I'm not trying to answer your bigger question "was it worth it?". Looking at how quickly the virus spreads in close knit communities like nursing homes and retirement communities, I think it is safe to assume the virus would have spread quickly if cities and mass transportation had not made changes. Again, was it worth it? Some say yes, some no.
I appreciate your thoughtful answer. My feeling is that if we placed more of our efforts on protecting, isolating, quarantining the most vulnerable, rather than taking this approach with everyone, we may have yielded better results. I would have preferred dealing with this virus as we traditionally have dealt with them. We will never know if this approach would have worked. To me, it doesn't appear this approach worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 02:29 PM   #17
FlyingScot

Quote:
I appreciate your thoughtful answer. My feeling is that if we placed more of our efforts on protecting, isolating, quarantining the most vulnerable, rather than taking this approach with everyone, we may have yielded better results. I would have preferred dealing with this virus as we traditionally have dealt with them. We will never know if this approach would have worked. To me, it doesn't appear this approach worked.
Though we differ on social isolation in general, we agree (yet again!) that the nursing home situation is just appalling. One infected, maybe asymptomatic, staff member walks in, and BANG--20 vulnerable people in tight quarters are dead.

It would be interesting to try to figure out how much looser the rest of us could have been if nursing homes had been air tight (for the same total mortality rate). I think I saw an article in the Globe in which Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital said that they had not had a single case of covid contracted on site for weeks.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #18
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
It was done in order to slow the spread of covid-19: I'd have thought that intent was obvious.
Did it? Where's the proof? Most of the victims seem to be in nursing/retirement facilities. Did having healthy Americans shelter in place stop the virus from these facilities? Most of the victims seem to be over 65 years of age and have an underlying condition. It does not appear that quarantining and sheltering in place was an effective strategy in dealing with the most at-risk victims.

Quote:
It remains to be seen as to how many businesses were in fact "destroyed."
You are kidding, right? I personally know dozens of small business who are unsure as to whether they will be coming back. To me, this is a very insensitive statement. I'm curious, do you own a small business, work for the company or have a public sector job?
Old 04-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #19
Biggd

Ever hear the fraise, "beating a dead horse"? That's what's going on in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
granitebox (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #20
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Though we differ on social isolation in general, we agree (yet again!) that the nursing home situation is just appalling. One infected, maybe asymptomatic, staff member walks in, and BANG--20 vulnerable people in tight quarters are dead.

It would be interesting to try to figure out how much looser the rest of us could have been if nursing homes had been air tight (for the same total mortality rate). I think I saw an article in the Globe in which Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital said that they had not had a single case of covid contracted on site for weeks.
My mom is in a nursing home in PA. They currently have several cases but fortunately none so far in the memory care wing where mom is; different staff on that side. No matter how careful it was just a matter if time before it was brought in by a staff member or delivery person or a doctor. But what is the alternative? Keep the staff locked in too? Having said all that we need to get everything opened as soon as practical before we are all bankrupt.
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
Major (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #21
Major

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Ever hear the fraise, "beating a dead horse"? That's what's going on in this thread.
As probably the worst offender, I apologize. My sympathies lie with small business owners, who invested both in capital and sweat equity in creating something from nothing. I cannot help it when I see someone who dismisses the notion that someone's life may be destroyed by our unconstitutional actions in effectively taking their business.

Many, many more people are suffering from loss of income and business than from the virus. This will be my last post on the Wuhan Bat Flu. I think I've made my point, and as you said, there's nothing really else to say. Plus, I need to concentrate on work!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
dippasan (06-09-2020), gravy boat (04-29-2020), jbolty (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
As probably the worst offender, I apologize. My sympathies lie with small business owners, who invested both in capital and sweat equity in creating something from nothing. I cannot help it when I see someone who dismisses the notion that someone's life may be destroyed by our unconstitutional actions in effectively taking their business.

Many, many more people are suffering from loss of income and business than from the virus. This will be my last post on the Wuhan Bat Flu. I think I've made my point, and as you said, there's nothing really else to say. Plus, I need to concentrate on work!
I agree, Major. My heart truly goes out to those small businesses owners who had to close.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (04-29-2020), dippasan (06-09-2020), gravy boat (04-30-2020), Major (04-29-2020), Top-Water (04-29-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #23
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
This will be my last post on the Wuhan Bat Flu. I think I've made my point.
Jesus, thank you!

Please, Major, I am not introducing a religious topic- which, also, is not allowed on this forum!!!

Last edited by JEEPONLY; 04-30-2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 04-30-2020, 06:29 PM   #24
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Jesus, thank you!

Please, Major, I am not introducing a religious topic- which, also, is not allowed on this forum!!!
I'm waiting for ApS to profess his next post to be last post on Covid 19. Do you think I'll live that long?
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 05:35 AM   #25
TheProfessor

Quote:

Map of towns.

LINK
Interesting footnote:

The link or list of Emergency Orders has been removed from this state COVID-19 web page.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #26
fatlazyless

Default May 1st, C-19 state testing in Laconia

www.nchcnh.org/news.php

If you think you may have symptoms for the corona virus and want to get tested, there will be a State of NH mobile test site at the Lakes Region Community College in Laconia from 11am to 7pm on May 1, 2020.

Appointments and referrals are needed.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #27
TheProfessor

Meredith.

Now after Laconia and Gilford. Meredith color changes on map (increase).
Old 05-04-2020, 06:18 AM   #28
pondguy

Quote:
Meredith.

Now after Laconia and Gilford. Meredith color changes on map (increase).
Here it comes, I'm not surprised with all the out of state plates I saw in Meredith this weekend. I'm sure they all are doing the 14 day lockdown. Be safe everyone!
Old 05-04-2020, 06:26 AM   #29
gravy boat

Default Numbers (from State of NH - quick link)

https://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/cdcs/co...t-04272020.pdf

These numbers are from April 27 -- the last update on the State's website. I'm sure an update is coming in the next few days.

My point in posting this is to recommend you look at the ages of those who pass away and the percentage of the total deaths attributed to the virus as most are OVER 80 years old:

58.3% are over 80 years old
20% are 70-79
15% are 60-69
0 people died between 50-59
5% between 40-49
1.7% between 20-29

Of note:
0 deaths in Belknap County
Nobody has died from Covid between the ages of 0-19, 30-39, 50-59.

As mentioned I assume an update will come in the next day or two and the % of overall deaths will likely continue to be 60+ and most at 80+.

If you're in that age group then obviously protect yourselves however you see fit - but it's going to be up to you from here on out to protect yourself as we reopen and finally allow people to start working and living again.

GB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-04-2020), Seaplane Pilot (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #30
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
https://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/cdcs/co...t-04272020.pdf

These numbers are from April 27 -- the last update on the State's website. I'm sure an update is coming in the next few days.

My point in posting this is to recommend you look at the ages of those who pass away and the percentage of the total deaths attributed to the virus as most are OVER 80 years old:

58.3% are over 80 years old
20% are 70-79
15% are 60-69
0 people died between 50-59
5% between 40-49
1.7% between 20-29

Of note:
0 deaths in Belknap County
Nobody has died from Covid between the ages of 0-19, 30-39, 50-59.

As mentioned I assume an update will come in the next day or two and the % of overall deaths will likely continue to be 60+ and most at 80+.

If you're in that age group then obviously protect yourselves however you see fit - but it's going to be up to you from here on out to protect yourself as we reopen and finally allow people to start working and living again.

GB
These are important numbers and no dispute about the general risk categories.

But the statistics as listed are misleading, if you are trying to make a point.If everyone in the area tested were over 80, then everyone who died would be over 80 as would EVERYONE who recovered.

If everyone in Belknap County were 80, then the death rate would be 0 for 80 year olds.

Point is, unless you have other data, the statistics as listed do not really prove anything.

And to really understand the pandemic, more and appropriate testing is important.

Understand, I am NOT suggesting you are dishonest or intentionally misleading.

My point is, one needs to be careful in interpreting statistics.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-04-2020), WinnisquamZ (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:57 AM   #31
gravy boat

Thank you. The only point I was making is that over 60 -- and mostly over 80 -- are the high risks based on the documented deaths attributed to Covid. AND that the onus is on high risk individuals to take extra precautions as the world reopens.
The Following User Says Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #32
Flylady

Default Missing info...

What would help more to understand areas of "hotspots" is to include the numbers of illnesses and deaths that occured in nursing homes. Given the large percentage of NH population over 65 this could be very telling.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #33
Mr. V

Quote:
Thank you. The only point I was making is that over 60 -- and mostly over 80 -- are the high risks based on the documented deaths attributed to Covid. AND that the onus is on high risk individuals to take extra precautions as the world reopens.
Nationwide and worldwide there are lots of deaths of folks under 60 years old; but I digress.

It's not as easy as you assume it is for this class of folks ("mostly over 80") to take "extra precautions."

You seem to argue that they're the only ones who'd need to shelter in place, if I follow your logic: given the fact that most of these folks are either in assisted living or require some form of additional care by one or more third party care gover, how can they protect against getting infected by a younger care giver who takes no precautions while not working and likely will become a carrier?

No, to protect the older, susceptible class of potential victims all who come in contact with them must be covid-19 free, and the only way for that to happen is for them to follow the current draconian protocol.

Sorry, it just ain't as simple as you'd like it to be.

Then again, if you are arguing that the aged among us aren't worth saving, that they should be sacrificed for the sake of the economy, then I suppose your plan would be viable.
gillygirl (05-06-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #34
ApS

Red face Helpin' Out...

Quote:
As probably the worst offender, I apologize. My sympathies lie with small business owners, who invested both in capital and sweat equity in creating something from nothing. I cannot help it when I see someone who dismisses the notion that someone's life may be destroyed by our unconstitutional actions in effectively taking their business. Many, many more people are suffering from loss of income and business than from the virus. This will be my last post on the Wuhan Bat Flu. I think I've made my point, and as you said, there's nothing really else to say. Plus, I need to concentrate on work!
Perhaps one of these styles of mask will suit your fancy:
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2020, 05:11 AM   #35
TheProfessor

Quote:
The masks only prevent the wearer from giving the virus to others.
The masks DO NOT prevent the wearer from getting the virus.

Where are the medical grade masks for people over age 60 ?

Where are the N95 masks for those people over the age of 60?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
Chris M (05-07-2020), Newbiesaukee (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #36
I.C.Isles

Massachusetts May be more statistically significant than NH given larger number of cases and release of more date. Some interesting data. You can make you own conclusions:

- 35 hospitalizations in ages 0-19 (out of 69,087 total Covid cases for all ages)
- 0 deaths ages 0-19
- 2,575 deaths are ages 80+ (63% of 4,090 total deaths)
- 3,499 deaths are ages 70+ (86% of 4,090 total deaths)
- average age of death is 82 (the don't provide the median which would be better this type of data, but it would be in the mid- to high-70s)
- Deaths with a previous hospitalization 58.0% (30.8% unknown); deaths with underlying conditions 98.4%
- Deaths in long-term care facilities 2,428 (59% of total deaths)

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #37
codeman671

Quote:
The masks only prevent the wearer from giving the virus to others.
The masks DO NOT prevent the wearer from getting the virus.

Where are the medical grade masks for people over age 60 ?

Where are the N95 masks for those people over the age of 60?
For an N95 to be fully efficient it needs to be fit-tested. Hospitals do this for each employee to determine which brand/model is best suited. N95 are also trading in the $7-9 per mask price range presently.

KN95 are in the $3-4 range and are more consumer focused with similar filtration rates.

3-ply surgical masks are your standard earloop style that is traditionally worn. These are in the $0.90-1.00 range at present.

(full disclosure- my company is an FDA registered importer and reseller of PPE equipment).

Something is better than nothing these days. But asking the state to hand out N95's like candy to older citizens will never happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 04:05 PM   #38
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Perhaps one of these styles of mask will suit your fancy:
Your knowledge of panty styles seems to be extensive!
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #39
gravy boat

Quote:
Nationwide and worldwide there are lots of deaths of folks under 60 years old; but I digress.

It's not as easy as you assume it is for this class of folks ("mostly over 80") to take "extra precautions."

You seem to argue that they're the only ones who'd need to shelter in place, if I follow your logic: given the fact that most of these folks are either in assisted living or require some form of additional care by one or more third party care gover, how can they protect against getting infected by a younger care giver who takes no precautions while not working and likely will become a carrier?

No, to protect the older, susceptible class of potential victims all who come in contact with them must be covid-19 free, and the only way for that to happen is for them to follow the current draconian protocol.

Sorry, it just ain't as simple as you'd like it to be.

Then again, if you are arguing that the aged among us aren't worth saving, that they should be sacrificed for the sake of the economy, then I suppose your plan would be viable.

Point being that those who are able to protect themselves better should do so.

And you're not on the roof yet.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #40
WinnisquamZ

Numbers from Massachusetts
Name:  IMG_2400.JPG
Views: 2249
Size:  172.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #41
Mr. V

Quote:
Point being that those who are able to protect themselves better should do so.
That begs the question, namely what in fact can folks in assisted living or who have in home care givers do to "protect themselves" if unbeknownst to anyone their care giver is an asymptomatic covid-19 carrier?

No offense to any qualified care givers, but the field of entry level workers without a CNA or equivalent is rife with rapid turnover by folks pretty much near the bottom of the pool of potential employees: about the same level as fast food workers.

Many are drug users and given the rotten wage they're paid it is wishful thinking to assume they'll follow all of the prophylactic requirements necessary to keep their vulnerable patients disease free.

Live Free And Die?

I sure hope not.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #42
gravy boat

Interesting.

With my father in a nursing home (Covid free - the one resident in question was negative per the head nurse's call to me today) I trust that the staff are doing what is asked. During my weekly visits I had (not able to visit for 2 months) never seen someone as you described...ever. Perhaps it's more prevalent in highly populated areas? He is in hospice care at 93 years old...and not even hospice is allowed in the building any longer as hospice nurses travel around to various facilities and homes. Also mentioned today is that all staff and residents will be tested so I feel pretty confident he is good hands.

Last edited by gravy boat; 05-08-2020 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:18 PM   #43
Susie Cougar

gravy boat, I am sorry you have to be going through something like this at this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (05-08-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #44
Mr. V

Quote:
Interesting.

With my father in a nursing home (Covid free - the one resident in question was negative per the head nurse's call to me today) I trust that the staff are doing what is asked. During my weekly visits I have never seen someone as you described...ever. Perhaps it's more prevalent in highly populated areas? He is in hospice care at 93 years old...and not even hospice is allowed in the building any longer as hospice nurses travel around to various facilities and homes. Also mentioned today is that all staff and residents will be tested so I feel pretty confident he is good hands.
Your father is lucky to be in rural NH where the infection rate isn't as high as in NYC or a meat packing plant for example.

You "trust" that the staff is doing what is asked: maybe, maybe not: heck, there's a lot of right wingers in NH who think this is all overblown and choose not follow protocol.

Just takes one mis-step by an employee to introduce the coronavirus and then the devil will dance.

Sixty-percent of folks who contract covid-19 and die are in nursing homes / assisted living IIRC.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #45
Chris M

Wouldn't it have made more sense to just batten down the hatches completely for everyone in nursing homes and the elderly with underlying health conditions and those with compromised immune systems? Those poor people in those homes have NOT been protected.

My county has 2 covid19 cases. TWO. Closest one 30 miles away. Yet the governor ordered my business closed 6 weeks ago and I work outside. No income since and no definitive end in sight. They've created thousands of victims where none need to have existed and still didn't protect the most vulnerable among us.

Where is the logic in how this is being handled?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris M For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-07-2020), gravy boat (05-08-2020), ishoot308 (05-07-2020), joey2665 (05-07-2020), VitaBene (05-08-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 07:15 PM   #46
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
Wouldn't it have made more sense to just batten down the hatches completely for everyone in nursing homes and the elderly with underlying health conditions and those with compromised immune systems? Those poor people in those homes have NOT been protected.

My county has 2 covid19 cases. TWO. Closest one 30 miles away. Yet the governor ordered my business closed 6 weeks ago and I work outside. No income since and no definitive end in sight. They've created thousands of victims where none need to have existed and still didn't protect the most vulnerable among us.

Where is the logic in how this is being handled?
I can’t disagree with you on this one...

I hope things turn around for you.

Dan
VitaBene (05-08-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 07:00 AM   #47
TheProfessor

05/15/2020

Yet the cases in both Belknap County and Carroll County went up. Still going UP.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:14 AM   #48
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
05/15/2020

Yet the cases in both Belknap County and Carroll County went up. Still going UP.
As we start to open more, and the number of people tested increases, there will be more cases. Remember: there is no baseline for how many cases there were because there wasn't enough testing—for all we know, there's no different in the number of cases.

That being said, I think the goal is a balance of living "normal"/reopening and common sense measures and protection for the most vulnerable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #49
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
As we start to open more, and the number of people tested increases, there will be more cases. Remember: there is no baseline for how many cases there were because there wasn't enough testing—for all we know, there's no different in the number of cases.

That being said, I think the goal is a balance of living "normal"/reopening and common sense measures and protection for the most vulnerable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Well, yes...but that does not mean we should be reassured until identified cases start going down and we have enough understanding to know this is not going to spiral out of control.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #50
gravy boat

Quote:
Your father is lucky to be in rural NH where the infection rate isn't as high as in NYC or a meat packing plant for example.

You "trust" that the staff is doing what is asked: maybe, maybe not: heck, there's a lot of right wingers in NH who think this is all overblown and choose not follow protocol.

Just takes one mis-step by an employee to introduce the coronavirus and then the devil will dance.

Sixty-percent of folks who contract covid-19 and die are in nursing homes / assisted living IIRC.
Sad but the nursing homes are the most vulnerable. Which is why I recommend my siblings to call and speak with the head nurse or administrator so they can dig in and ask questions directly.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:13 PM   #51
Mr. V

Quote:
Sad but the nursing homes are the most vulnerable. Which is why I recommend my siblings to call and speak with the head nurse or administrator so they can dig in and ask questions directly.
Your father is probably "lucky" he is in the lakes region as opposed to a major metropolitan area: so far you guys have "dodged a bullet" in terms of covid-19 deaths due to your being off the beaten path.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:30 PM   #52
TheProfessor

Quote:
Here is the statistics for Covid-19. For NH towns.

Might be posted someplace else here.

Map of towns.

LINK
The City/Town state map has been updated/changed.