Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2021, 07:38 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default New Hampshire's rising infections

Infections are down in most of the US, but they continue to rise in New Hampshire. Even Florida is doing better than New Hampshire. Why is this? See the curve at https://www.covid19.nh.gov/dashboard/overview
Old 10-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

Testing has ramped up. Four new testing centers have just opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 10-14-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
John Mercier

More testing would lower the positive rate... in theory.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:39 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I think there are a few factors. NH peeps are now getting to the "I'm done with this" phase that many southerners went through over the summer and, added to the drop in temps and people moving indoors, cases will rise. Finally, schools in the north start a few weeks later, so the resulting spread after students begin congregating is a few weeks behind.

I do feel we're getting close to, or are at, critical mass with regards to moving forward. Specifically, that enough people feel safe enough with the current state of the virus and access to vaccination to "just move forward."

Since most scientific organizations are confident Covid will never be eradicated, it'll be interesting to see when they CDC draws the line to start treating it like the flu.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Infections are down in most of the US, but they continue to rise in New Hampshire. Even Florida is doing better than New Hampshire. Why is this? See the curve at https://www.covid19.nh.gov/dashboard/overview
Media Hype!

Plain as that!

Believe what you are most comfortable with and live life accordingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (10-21-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #6
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I do feel we're getting close to, or are at, critical mass with regards to moving forward. Specifically, that enough people feel safe enough with the current state of the virus and access to vaccination to "just move forward."
I don't get this. The data show that we're in a serious wave of infections. Why would people feel safe right at this point?
Old 10-15-2021, 04:02 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
I don't get this. The data show that we're in a serious wave of infections. Why would people feel safe right at this point?
I just got my booster shot, and most everyone I know and care about is vaccinated. We're still kinda conservative—avoiding crazy busy venues, for example—but otherwise we're ready to move forward.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #8
trfour

Exclamation Way Too Many People

Refuse to Liston/or Believe in Science and Doctors!!
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...covid-n1281616

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 10-15-2021, 07:07 PM   #9
trfour

Thumbs up The Good News

Some of US, will still be around!!
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ation-rcna2850

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 10-16-2021, 05:34 AM   #10
jeffk

The problem is, the likelihood of getting COVID is a statistical analysis based on many factors. We can't calculate the odds of getting COVID minute to minute but we CAN be aware of some primary causes and take preventative action. We then have a relative sense of "safety".

Another example, driving a car. Every time I get in a car, there is a possibility of a serious accident or death. Yet, billons of people get in cars every day without a second thought.

The top causes of car accidents are:
Distracted Driving. Distracted drivers are the top cause of car accidents in the U.S. today.
Speeding. Speed kills, and traveling above the speed limit is an easy way to cause a car accident.
Drunk Driving. Driving under the influence of alcohol causes car accidents every day, even when they are one the top causes that can be avoided.
Reckless Driving. Reckless driving is a moving violation in which a driver displays a disregard for the rules of the road.

I can significantly improve my sense of "safety" if I, and any driver of a car I am in, practice avoidance of these causes. Sure, the OTHER car's driver might not but I cannot control that and it is a risk I have to accept or I will have to hide in my house for the rest of my life.

The factors for avoiding COVID are:

Being vaccinated. If vaccinated, the likelihood of getting sick is significantly reduced. Further, the chance of being seriously ill if you have a breakthrough is greatly reduced.

Wearing a mask. While it is most effective in keeping a sick person from infecting others, it also reduces the chance of being infected. If everyone in crowded conditions is masked, you get the benefit of both protections.

Minimizing 10+ minute contact with others, especially inside. Walking by an infected person in the street is very unlikely to infect you. Standing next to someone who is infected in a room for 10+ minutes increases the risk. If you know the person and know they are vaccinated and not sick, the risk is minimal.

Avoiding crowds, especially inside, and especially of people you don't know and are uncertain of their vaccination and health status. More people contact in crowded conditions where you may be forced to be near an infected person for a longer period of time increases risk.

I am vaccinated. I wear a mask inside, especially in crowded situations. I generally avoid crowds here because others are NOT wearing masks. I accept I am not guaranteed to be safe from COVID but I have minimized the risk as best I can.

I just went on a 3 week trip to Italy. I was on planes, trains, and buses. I went to tourist attractions. I shopped in stores. Masks are REQUIRED for EVERYONE in all these situations. I had a negative COVID test before I left and one just before I came back. I have been back 3 days and feel fine. I knew I was not guaranteed immunity from COVID but did all I could to lower the risk. It seems to have worked.

I realize that some people would not have felt "safe" making such a trip. I was concerned but not enough to cancel the trip. Everyone has to make their own choice based on their own sense of personal safety.

As to those who don't want to get the vaccine or wear masks, it's like driving a car after excessive drinking. It may be your choice to do so but, IMO, it's dangerous to yourself and, unfairly so, to others.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
StevenGilford (10-20-2021), TCC (10-16-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 06:04 AM   #11
pjard

Quote:
How safe I feel is up to me, not you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
TKD (10-17-2021), XCR-700 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 06:24 AM   #12
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
The problem is, the likelihood of getting COVID is a statistical analysis based on many factors. We can't calculate the odds of getting COVID minute to minute but we CAN be aware of some primary causes and take preventative action. We then have a relative sense of "safety".

Another example, driving a car. Every time I get in a car, there is a possibility of a serious accident or death. Yet, billons of people get in cars every day without a second thought.

The top causes of car accidents are:
Distracted Driving. Distracted drivers are the top cause of car accidents in the U.S. today.
Speeding. Speed kills, and traveling above the speed limit is an easy way to cause a car accident.
Drunk Driving. Driving under the influence of alcohol causes car accidents every day, even when they are one the top causes that can be avoided.
Reckless Driving. Reckless driving is a moving violation in which a driver displays a disregard for the rules of the road.

I can significantly improve my sense of "safety" if I, and any driver of a car I am in, practice avoidance of these causes. Sure, the OTHER car's driver might not but I cannot control that and it is a risk I have to accept or I will have to hide in my house for the rest of my life.

The factors for avoiding COVID are:

Being vaccinated. If vaccinated, the likelihood of getting sick is significantly reduced. Further, the chance of being seriously ill if you have a breakthrough is greatly reduced.

Wearing a mask. While it is most effective in keeping a sick person from infecting others, it also reduces the chance of being infected. If everyone in crowded conditions is masked, you get the benefit of both protections.

Minimizing 10+ minute contact with others, especially inside. Walking by an infected person in the street is very unlikely to infect you. Standing next to someone who is infected in a room for 10+ minutes increases the risk. If you know the person and know they are vaccinated and not sick, the risk is minimal.

Avoiding crowds, especially inside, and especially of people you don't know and are uncertain of their vaccination and health status. More people contact in crowded conditions where you may be forced to be near an infected person for a longer period of time increases risk.

I am vaccinated. I wear a mask inside, especially in crowded situations. I generally avoid crowds here because others are NOT wearing masks. I accept I am not guaranteed to be safe from COVID but I have minimized the risk as best I can.

I just went on a 3 week trip to Italy. I was on planes, trains, and buses. I went to tourist attractions. I shopped in stores. Masks are REQUIRED for EVERYONE in all these situations. I had a negative COVID test before I left and one just before I came back. I have been back 3 days and feel fine. I knew I was not guaranteed immunity from COVID but did all I could to lower the risk. It seems to have worked.

I realize that some people would not have felt "safe" making such a trip. I was concerned but not enough to cancel the trip. Everyone has to make their own choice based on their own sense of personal safety.

As to those who don't want to get the vaccine or wear masks, it's like driving a car after excessive drinking. It may be your choice to do so but, IMO, it's dangerous to yourself and, unfairly so, to others.

Glad you enjoyed your trip! Italy’s amazing. Even better you didn’t let covid scare you and make you sit out the next 5 years while everyone else hid inside.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
TKD (10-17-2021), XCR-700 (10-21-2021)