Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Plumberswife

Default Carpenter!

Anyone got a good carpenter they use who is reliable and does a good job?? were in Ossipee. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
Winnisquamguy

What are you looking to have done? Finish work, deck, new kitchen?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
TheProfessor

Correct. You need to be a tad more specific.

Once you find one, if they actually show up, and on time you will be lucky.

I always look at the vehicle that they drive. It if is new and expensive I get a little nervous about the price.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Correct. You need to be a tad more specific.

Once you find one, if they actually show up, and on time you will be lucky.

I always look at the vehicle that they drive. It if is new and expensive I get a little nervous about the price.
Wow, as "The Professor" I would expect that you would use more research than that to come to a conclusion.

Instead you could actually ask the contractor why their price is higher (if it even is).

I certainly wouldn't let quality of work, work experience, reputation, crew experience and how your job will be managed, be your judge.

Definately let the vehicle type and trim level be your guide to whether you should trust your contractor.

That is the funniest statement I have heard all week, thank you.

Last edited by jmen24; 12-09-2011 at 03:16 PM.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (12-09-2011), Reilly (12-26-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Belmont Resident

Default I agree

Even though I don’t drive a new vehicle, during the summer I always try to make it look good when meeting with a prospective client. Even if I leave a job site and look like crap myself.
I paint for a builder who although has a not so new truck, it looks brand new.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumberswife View Post
Anyone got a good carpenter they use who is reliable and does a good job?? were in Ossipee. Thank you!
hello my name is Shaun owner of Skys Carpentry in Moultonborough feel free to look us up on the web or simply give me a call 254-4151. things are quite until January 1st when begin another remodeling project if theres anything we can do please call. good luck.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sky's For This Useful Post:
Plumberswife (12-25-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
scomptonbuilder

Hello, my name is Scott Compton of Scott Compton Builder. I would be very interested in talking with you. I can be reached at cell- 234-1277 or office- 279-1029. Feel free to view my web site at www.Scottcomptonbuilder.com. Look forward to speaking with you.
scomptonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
NoBozo

Be careful of jmen24. I happen to know he owns his own airplane. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
dpg

The new/nice vehicle thing makes perfect sense. I replaced siding and windows some years back in Mass. I mentioned the same thing to the wife. One person who didn't make the "cut" showed up to price the job in a Mercedes. He was many thousands higher than anyone else. Coincidence, personally I don't think so...Oh and it was to install/use the same brand windows and siding. I told THEM what I wanted to use. All they had to do was price the products I already picked out.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Tired of Waiting

Talking New truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
hello my name is Shaun owner of Skys Carpentry in Moultonborough feel free to look us up on the web or simply give me a call 254-4151. things are quite until January 1st when begin another remodeling project if theres anything we can do please call. good luck.
Do you drive a new truck??? Just evaluating your credentials!!

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting View Post
Do you drive a new truck??? Just evaluating your credentials!!

ToW
not sure were this is going? i have a 2009 Chevy 1/2 ton. We also have a 18 ft trailer outfitted with all the proper tools to make our job easier and give you a 110% feel free to call me with any questions. 254-4151 thanks
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #12
Belmont Resident

Default so dpg

If I decide to buy a brand new truck I should keep my old one around to go out and do estimates until my new one gets a little bit old?
Your comment makes no sense at all. I do believe in judging people by the company they keep but not contractors by what they drive.
I believe it is the attitude that gives most away not the age or type of vehicle.

There are a lot of fly by night contractors out there that drive junk and their work is also junk.
Reilly (12-26-2011), Winnisquamguy (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
Tired of Waiting

Talking Tongue in cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
not sure were this is going? i have a 2009 Chevy 1/2 ton. We also have a 18 ft trailer outfitted with all the proper tools to make our job easier and give you a 110% feel free to call me with any questions. 254-4151 thanks
Sky's

Read the whole thread and you'll see where I was coming from. My question was a poke at another poster and I used you as the dart. Not a poke at you.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #14
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
If I decide to buy a brand new truck I should keep my old one around to go out and do estimates until my new one gets a little bit old?
Your comment makes no sense at all. I do believe in judging people by the company they keep but not contractors by what they drive.
I believe it is the attitude that gives most away not the age or type of vehicle.

There are a lot of fly by night contractors out there that drive junk and their work is also junk.
Sure it makes sense but I'm not interested in debating a thing...To each his own I suppose...
Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
dpg

Well sort of my point exactly...There's also a lot of people out there driving 40, 50, 60 thousand dollar "work vehicles" who need to pay for them. I've found most of them are not doing this by lowering their price much to be competitive. Many have a "this is what I get take it or leave it attitude" usually I leave it and find somebody else who truely wants my business. I'm not cheap actually just the opposite but don't like getting !@#$% either. I usually try to follow the 100 year old "rule" of throwing out the highest and lowest estimate. Usually works out for me, your mileage may vary.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
Plumberswife

Thank you all for the posts....I think.. lol, lol. I appreciate all the private messages too. We have a few windows that need replacing and some rotten boards replaced. We'd like a metal roof put on at some point, there is nothing worng with the one there, just old and will need a new one in time. Just things like that, maybe some finish work done when the new bath goes in, things like that, thanks guys!!! Merry christmas!!