Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Default Remote Car Starters

Does anyone have any experience with having a remote car starter installed? My wife bought a 2020 VW Tiguan last fall and is now wishing she got the remote starter. We called the VW dealer that she bought it from and they said it would cost over $700 installed. Yikes!

I thought about doing it myself but the kits show wiring harnesses that apparently need to be spliced in to the main harness. That makes me nervous.

I see that many car audio shops offer the starter installation but letting them modify the harness also makes me nervous. I also don't want 2 remotes and it looks like that would be necessary unless we got the VW kit, which includes one remote that does everything.

Does anyone have experience with doing this? Did you use an independent shop or the dealer? How did it go? How much did it cost?
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:08 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Does anyone have any experience with having a remote car starter installed? My wife bought a 2020 VW Tiguan last fall and is now wishing she got the remote starter. We called the VW dealer that she bought it from and they said it would cost over $700 installed. Yikes!

I thought about doing it myself but the kits show wiring harnesses that apparently need to be spliced in to the main harness. That makes me nervous.

I see that many car audio shops offer the starter installation but letting them modify the harness also makes me nervous. I also don't want 2 remotes and it looks like that would be necessary unless we got the VW kit, which includes one remote that does everything.

Does anyone have experience with doing this? Did you use an independent shop or the dealer? How did it go? How much did it cost?
I've had remote starters in almost all my vehicles. If you don't want two keys, look into a smartphone-driven version which is awesome for many reasons: 1. No second remote, 2. Infinite distance (most RS remotes don't work well through walls), 3. Lock control if keys are missing, etc. 4. Programmable options.

It might not be much less expensive than the dealer, but it'll be much more functional.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
codeman671

A lot of the new ones either can be set up web enabled or use a plug-in called Drone Mobile. You can use your normal key for lock and unlock, but start the car with the web app. My wife works in a hospital and can start her car from inside, well out of range of a remote.

As long as you pick a responsible installer I wouldn't worry about it. Avoid Best Buy. There is a guy in Somersworth, NH that has a shop but also does mobile installs- Chris at Speed of Sound. He does all of my car work. He has also come up to Gilford to do boat stereos for me before.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:33 AM   #4
Blue Thunder

Don,
I’ve had them for years and actually installed them in the early 90s when they first came out. It’s a totally different ballgame today, however. Today’s sensitive electronics require someone who really knows what they are doing. Do your research of some reputable shops and take it from there. You may find that the pricing is not that far off from the VW dealer.....

BT
Old 02-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
MotorHead

This work may void the warranty.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #6
Doobs41378

We had one put in my wife's 2017 Audi Q7 and the car has never been the same since. The starter doesn't really work well and the electronics now have a mind of their own. Lights randomly blinking or her radio screen just going down on its own. In hindsight i would not add it again to a car that did not come with it.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #7
AC2717

VW are very hard to do remote starters if not installed by the manufacturer. Personal experience for me is that almost no company would touch it due to it not being a standard install. Their wiring is very complicated to tap into. Another issue was I would have had to buy an extra key and hide it somewhere in the vehicle as well

Now this was 9 years ago, and things might have changed
Old 02-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #8
jbolty

I have no experience with this in particular but I do know that in my 40+ years of working on cars the existing wiring harness generally has the provisions built in for all possible options and often it's just a matter of plugging it in. Even my 1990 jeep has the wires under the dash for the rear window wiper, washer and heater as well as wires for a/c even though it does not have hard top or a/c. Having said that the factory VW version might be the best and least intrusive way to go.

It would also be worth researching on some VW ower forums to see if it's possible to get the parts for DIY or at least specific feedback

Here's one, there are lots of them https://www.vwforum.com/

$181 for the base kit from VW

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_20...3CN065760.html
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #9
MotorHead

Be a gentleman and go out and start the car for her, she will love you even more.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
jbolty (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Old story

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I have no experience with this in particular but I do know that in my 40+ years of working on cars the existing wiring harness generally has the provisions built in for all possible options and often it's just a matter of plugging it in. Even my 1990 jeep has the wires under the dash for the rear window wiper, washer and heater as well as wires for a/c even though it does not have hard top or a/c. Having said that the factory VW version might be the best and least intrusive way to go.

It would also be worth researching on some VW ower forums to see if it's possible to get the parts for DIY or at least specific feedback

Here's one, there are lots of them https://www.vwforum.com/

$181 for the base kit from VW

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_20...3CN065760.html
So Webmaster says almost $700 for dealer install. Kit just under $200. So about $500 for labor. Seems like a lot. But it reminds me of a story from years ago.

A couple had an electric dryer that suddenly stopped working. They called a repairman, telling him they were in the middle of doing laundry. When he got there, he pushed the start button and nothing. He then went to the fuse box, and found the dryer's "buss" fuse, removed it, and put a new one in. (Fuses, told you it was old) It was back to the dryer, pushed the start button, and voila, the dryer was up and running. The repairman gave them a bill "Got dryer working $110." . The couple were shocked at the high cost and asked for an itemized receipt. Here's what he gave them: "Fuse $10. Knowing how to pull and replace fuse $100. Total due $110.

Sometimes it can be better to deal with dealer for piece of mind, not hubby's, the wife. Happy wife, happy life.

Dave
Old 02-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
So Webmaster says almost $700 for dealer install. Kit just under $200. So about $500 for labor. Seems like a lot.
Sometimes it can be better to deal with dealer for piece of mind, not hubby's, the wife. Happy wife, happy life.

Dave
I think the scenario goes like this ~200$ for the kit, 150$ for labor, and 350$ for the piece of mind that your warranty will not be voided, and any havoc the remote starter causes will likely be covered under the vehicle warranty.....
Old 02-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #12
fatlazyless

Here's a question for cars with 5-speed manual transmission and a clutch pedal.

How will the remote starter know if the manual transmission is in neutral, or in a gear when it goes to start it up?
Old 02-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Here's a question for cars with 5-speed manual transmission and a clutch pedal.

How will the remote starter know if the manual transmission is in neutral, or in a gear when it goes to start it up?
There's a fail-safe built into the remote start system, though many installers just simply won't install them because of the increased risk.

Funny story: some years back, I worked for an electronic store slinging high-fi. One of the mobile salespeople went out to grab a customer's car to bring into the shop for an audio upgrade. When he went to the lot, however, the car was nowhere to be found. While searching, the salesman heard a bit of screeching and the crunch of metal. Seeking out the source of the horrible noise, he noticed a car slamming against a wall...apparently driverless.

The customer had installed a remote start on a 5-speed without the fail-safe, and, after the salesman had remotely started it, the car drove itself into a convenient store's concrete wall...repeatedly...as remote starts will continue to try to start if programmed as such. One of my favorites from that other life.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:51 PM   #14
GTO

Default VanWorks

Quote:

Just got a remote starter for Christmas for my Lexus over at VanWorks in Gilford. They installed it the week after Christmas and it works great (around the $325 range).
Top-Water (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:31 PM   #15
fatlazyless

Here's what they do in Yakutsk, Russia ..... http://www.rbth.com/lifestyle/329955...extreme-frosts ....... where it is minus-43 right now and manuals with a clutch pedal way out number the cars with automatics ..... .

Just look at this place in Russia ....... look at the videos ........ "keep the engine running from autumn to spring" .... wow ......seriously, talk about a tough winter location ..... makes Laconia look very luxurious .... click on all hyper link words for serious follow-ups w/ photos showing what they do do. .... like wow ... .

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-04-2021 at 06:52 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #16
smith point boater

Default Kia

Bought a 2021 Kia Telluride that came with a remote start. Kia also has an electronic feature controlled by an app called UVO. The app is on my phone - I can lock/unlock, start/stop engine and it gives me all current info on the SUV - miles, est miles left with gas etc. Free for a year so will be interesting what the recurring fees will be later but I really like this feature. I get emails whenever I do anything - this would be very helpful say if I got an email that someone unlocked the car and it wasn't me i.e. being stolen or valet (if and when we can go out to eat again !!!). Not sure how far away I can be but so far 1000ft has not been an issue

Maybe VW has a feature like this too
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #17
Skip

Default Car Remote from VW

I've done too many remote starts over the years. Thankfully my Silverado came with remote start as a factory option and controllable via my cell phone...really making me fat, dumb and lazy!

The only kit I would recommend Don is the actual factory upgrade, which is mostly a module plug in that won't void your warranty and gives you a new FOB that controls everything. You can do it yourself as most VW dealers and the 'net sell the factory kit for around $350.

However, for the convenience and peace of mind, I'd probably spend the $700 and have the dealer do it....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #18
8gv

Can somebody please explain how a cell phone can activate the remote starter?

I was thinking it is through Bluetooth but it seems that the distance would be an obstacle.

Then I considered wifi but for the distance again.

Then I considered cellular data but that would require the car to have a cellular data plan of some sort.

Is it one of these or something I have not considered?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #19
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

I was thinking it is through Bluetooth but it seems that the distance would be an obstacle.

Then I considered cellular data but that would require the car to have a cellular data plan of some sort.

Usually an app on the phone, talks to satellite/cell tower and sends signal out to the remote starter. I have one in my GMC, i can start/shut off, lock/open, and sound/shut off alarm from anywhere in the world. Also it monitors the vehicle for maintenance and issues - free, if i want I can pay monthly for onstar - no thank you
Old 02-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #20
Skip

Default APP to Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

In my case it's an Iphone APP that connects to a server that Chevrolet maintains. There are a number of things I can get my truck to do or report on with the APP. It uses an embedded cell transmitter (AT&T) to connect to the internet.

All major car manufacturers have similar technology.

You can also buy a third party car starter with embedded cell phone modem that would communicate back to the server of the company that supplied the remote. However, if that third party company folded your left holding the bag. That's why I prefer using a factory authorized option.

Pretty neat starting/stopping/locking/unlocking and checking on your oil, fuel, air pressure status and boat loads more from anywhere in the world (with cell service) of your vehicle...for us technology geeks anyway!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
smith point boater (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #21
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
In my case it's an Iphone APP that connects to a server that Chevrolet maintains. There are a number of things I can get my truck to do or report on with the APP. It uses an embedded cell transmitter (AT&T) to connect to the internet.

All major car manufacturers have similar technology.

You can also buy a third party car starter with embedded cell phone modem that would communicate back to the server of the company that supplied the remote. However, if that third party company folded your left holding the bag. That's why I prefer using a factory authorized option.

Pretty neat starting/stopping/locking/unlocking and checking on your oil, fuel, air pressure status and boat loads more from anywhere in the world (with cell service) of your vehicle...for us technology geeks anyway!
much better description of what I have
thank you
Old 02-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #22
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Usually an app on the phone, talks to satellite/cell tower and sends signal out to the remote starter. I have one in my GMC, i can start/shut off, lock/open, and sound/shut off alarm from anywhere in the world. Also it monitors the vehicle for maintenance and issues - free, if i want I can pay monthly for onstar - no thank you
That myGMC app only works for 5 years then you have to pay for it. My GMC is a 2015. The access to the app shut off EXACTLY on the 5th anniversary of the day I got the truck. I loved it though.

BT
Old 02-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #23
hd333

$700 with the backing of a dealer and not voiding warranty sounds a lot better time than rolling the dice for $300 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:41 PM   #24
Outdoorsman

I purchased a 2019 Rav4 new from the dealer. They tried to up-sell the remote starter app for an additional $8/mo (works from anywhere in the world ) ).

A year later, in speaking with a friend that bought a 2020 Rav4, found out that some of the higher-end models have them built in, but they want that $8/mo. Come to find out that my factory supplied key fob HAD IT BUILT IN. No need to pay. It only works from the FOB, but I do not need to start my car from another city or state.

That being said, It looks like VW does something at least similar. A quick google search says "car-net" does this same thing.... Not sure what Car-Net is but thought it would be worth mentioning.

Best of luck!
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:01 AM   #25
fatlazyless

For about $15 you can give a new pair of mittens made with real goat wool from a real Russian goat, dark or light wool available, mailed from small home business in Russia ........ go to ebay and do a search for 'Russian socks' ...... and she will be much happier than with a remote starter. ......

Being cold in a car as it warms up is the way it is supposed to be. ......
Old 02-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #26
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd333 View Post
$700 with the backing of a dealer and not voiding warranty sounds a lot better time than rolling the dice for $300 or so.
Exactly. Thank you for stating this.

I did have a Remote Start aftermarket with an added 2nd remote. That one came with a LIFETIME WARRANTY. How could anything go wrong. A lifetime warranty. Neat.

Except the remote start does not work now. So back to Circuit City in Concord, NH to fix.

Does anyone know where Circuit City is located now ?
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #27
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

I did have a Remote Start aftermarket with an added 2nd remote. That one came with a LIFETIME WARRANTY. How could anything go wrong. A lifetime warranty. Neat.

Except the remote start does not work now. So back to Circuit City in Concord, NH to fix.

In ancient history books?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 02-06-2021, 10:36 AM   #28
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

In Bankrupt City...
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #29
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
In Bankrupt City...
I saw the end of Circuit in 1996, when management tried to show us how much more we could make on the new commission pay structure. Nashua lost its whole audio department—3 President's Club salesmen—in one weekend.

For electronics installation, though, mom and pops are almost always much better.

Old 02-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #30
TheProfessor

Quote:
Newer vehicles today have plug and play with zero splicing of wires.
The last thing one should do is splice into the cars spinal column hoping that the connections are not improperly spliced.

The best bet is the dealer. Pay the price. Check the warranty. One can go back to the dealer if issues arise.

Shop around to other dealers. Prices do vary greatly. As my Toyota FOB post clearly states.

Granted. Dealers too can go out of business or change hands.

With most modern vehicles - one can use the factory FOB. And not some 2nd FOB to carry around.

With some newer vehicles - the cell phone app is used to start the vehicle. Some require an annual subscription fee. Only the buyer can decide to pay an annual subscription fee. That fee usually also keeps maps updated as part of the suite.

With some newer vehicles - both the cell phone app and the FOB will remotely start the vehicle.

Read up on your particular make and model. View some YouTube videos.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote