Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
IslandRadio

Default How bad is it if you get it? Well....

I personally know 4 people who have contracted and have recovered from COVID 19.

Two of them are over 65 (relatives), one is 52, and one is in his 30s.

All got sick and then recovered at home.

Reported symptoms are headache, dry cough, fever, extreme fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath, chest pain (in one case, quite noticeable).

The guy in his 30s reported completely losing his sense of taste and smell. It is returning slowly, but is still not back all the way. Someone else reported a strong "metalic" taste in the mouth. That is gone, and he has completely recovered.

Recovery time varied from about a week to 2 weeks.

The guy in his 30s is a surgeon, and no one else in his family came down with the disease!! He has a wife and two kids.

The two folks over 65 are a couple. He got it first, and then his wife developed symptoms about 3 days later. Both are completely recovered.

The guy in his 50s is a prison guard in North Carolina. He also recovered without incident.

Anyway, it's not horrible for everyone that's for sure.

In this (small) group, everyone is very healthy, no complicating factors (such as asthma, etc.) and all are in good physical condition.

I know of a several other folks who were all symptomatic of COVID-19 (and recovered), but were not tested so cannot be confirmed. One is my primary care physician!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IslandRadio For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (04-18-2020), Just Sold (04-19-2020), SAMIAM (04-19-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

"No one else in his family came down with the disease!"

Lots of evidence that many people have the virus but are asymptomatic.

Three of my students have had family members die from CV-19 or complications resulting from.

A few parents have tested positive but, as of now, are ok.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-18-2020, 05:23 PM   #3
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
I personally know 4 people who have contracted and have recovered from COVID 19.

Two of them are over 65 (relatives), one is 52, and one is in his 30s.

All got sick and then recovered at home.

Reported symptoms are headache, dry cough, fever, extreme fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath, chest pain (in one case, quite noticeable).
Man that’s a lot of friends that got Covid , good to know it’s not that bad unless
The guy in his 30s reported completely losing his sense of taste and smell. It is returning slowly, but is still not back all the way. Someone else reported a strong "metalic" taste in the mouth. That is gone, and he has completely recovered.

Recovery time varied from about a week to 2 weeks.

The guy in his 30s is a surgeon, and no one else in his family came down with the disease!! He has a wife and two kids.

The two folks over 65 are a couple. He got it first, and then his wife developed symptoms about 3 days later. Both are completely recovered.

The guy in his 50s is a prison guard in North Carolina. He also recovered without incident.

Anyway, it's not horrible for everyone that's for sure.

In this (small) group, everyone is very healthy, no complicating factors (such as asthma, etc.) and all are in good physical condition.

I know of a several other folks who were all symptomatic of COVID-19 (and recovered), but were not tested so cannot be confirmed. One is my primary care physician!
So based on your study which is made up of a lot more friends that got Covid then anyone else I have heard of , this is no big deal. I will let all the folks overloading the hospitals and gasping for their last breath know that it’s just a bad cold ( unless it kills you )
Old 04-18-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
IslandRadio

The weird thing is, the severity of the symptoms is all over the map. My very small group happened to have relatively manageable symptoms. Others get REALLY sick or even die - albeit it is not a high percentage, but significant enough that it's still a whole lot of people.

I personally would not like to "test" my immune system on this one. Being elderly, it may not go well. Hard to say...
The Following User Says Thank You to IslandRadio For This Useful Post:
tbonies (04-20-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #5
Not to Worry

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
So based on your study which is made up of a lot more friends that got Covid then anyone else I have heard of , this is no big deal. I will let all the folks overloading the hospitals and gasping for their last breath know that it’s just a bad cold ( unless it kills you )
This person was just sharing their experience...nothing more.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Not to Worry For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (04-19-2020), Givemethewholeclam (04-18-2020), Music Man (04-18-2020), Paugus Bay Resident (04-20-2020), Reilly (04-19-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not to Worry View Post
This person was just sharing their experience...nothing more.
Yes, and it is an experience I am willing to pay any price to avoid, given I am at high risk for a negative outcome.
upthesaukee (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #7
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
The weird thing is, the severity of the symptoms is all over the map. My very small group happened to have relatively manageable symptoms. Others get REALLY sick or even die - albeit it is not a high percentage, but significant enough that it's still a whole lot of people.

I personally would not like to "test" my immune system on this one. Being elderly, it may not go well. Hard to say...
"Elderly"?

"Life experienced."

Old 04-18-2020, 07:45 PM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Billy Bob, your post was snarky. I found the references regarding friends and relatives who had recovered to be informative and helpful.
Ease up!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Chris M (06-05-2020), Doobs41378 (04-19-2020), Givemethewholeclam (04-18-2020), Music Man (04-18-2020), PatriGirl (06-01-2020), Reilly (04-19-2020), SAMIAM (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 08:51 PM   #9
iw8surf

I know a couple of people who had or still have it.

2 friends and there parents that weren't really affected at all besides for a minor sore throat and complete loss of smell or taste. All confirmed + tests, self quarantined and recovered.

My sister and brother in law- sister had the flu x10 for 12 days. Fever of 101-102 for 10 of those days. Brother in law said it was like a mild cold for him. Both confirmed + tests. Recovered at home both in their mid 30s active, generally healthy people

1 coworker, confirmed positive. Said it was the same as the flu for her. Nothing special, mandatory told them to stay for for 2 weeks. They’re currently recovering. Woman’s in her mid 50s.

Father in law- currently in the icu on his 15th day fighting it. Went from struggling to breath to intubated and on a ventilator. Now off a ventilator, on experimental drugs and still fighting it. His girlfriend also had it, flu symptoms not much more. Both in their mid 60s, not the best health in general.

A close female friend who is 30 is in the hospital on an ventilator. Has been there for over 2 weeks. From what we’ve been told it doesn’t look good.

So, I see all different sorts of things with this virus. Do I want it or to test my immune system? Hell no. Granted I don’t even want the flu. But initially it was unless you’re over 55 or at risk you’ll be fine. Now the more I see healthy fitness instructors at 30 years old dying. I’m all set with that.

Hoping everyone beats this thing and we can go back to normalcy soon.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (04-19-2020), FlyingScot (04-18-2020), Lakegeezer (04-18-2020), newbie (04-19-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (04-18-2020), WinnisquamZ (04-18-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #10
The Real BigGuy

My cousin (early 60’s) is an EMT in Michigan. 3 members of his 4 man team were diagnosed with it and hospitalized 2 and a half weeks ago. My cousin has been in ICU in a medically induced coma and on a ventilator for the last 2 weeks and was put on dialysis 2 days ago because of loss of kidney function. The outlook is not good. His teammates remain hospitalized but in varying states of better health.

The problem is symptoms and the illness vary from person to person and are all over the board. In my cousin’s EMT team’s case 1 didn’t get symptoms or sick (he was tested & was negative), the three others were hospitalized and no one knows why. This is what makes fighting it such a problem and forces us into a social distancing/lockdown posture.

For all the others out there with family, relatives, friends, acquaintances sick, my heart goes out to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (04-19-2020), FlyingScot (04-19-2020), Just Sold (04-19-2020), Susie Cougar (04-19-2020), thinkxingu (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 07:24 AM   #11
Newbiesaukee

Over the past month I’ve posted on other threads that there is a great deal that is not known about this virus.

Honestly, the more we learn about the course of the disease, the more frightening it is. Blood clots, kidney failure, long term cognitive deficits, long term lung problems and a host of other unforeseen consequences are being seen.

Yes, the fact that it is rare in younger children is wonderful.

The phase in plan presented by the CDC is totally rational; yet actually implemented, including the absolute requirement for widespread and intelligent testing just does not seem possible.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 04-19-2020, 07:31 AM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I talked to a friend of mine the other day and his father in his 70's lives in NY, he just passed away from the virus.
The sad part is not being able to be by their side when they need family the most.
I know others who have had it and recovered but it wasn't an easy or comfortable experience.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
gravy boat

Considering how fast and easily this spreads, how on earth can it be stopped? We can all isolate for months and months and all it takes is 1 infected person to start the spread again.

Perhaps the virus has mutated and there are several strains - hence, the reason symptoms are different in some people. All from one original mother virus. Probably not but since some are discussing "potentials", "expecteds" and "what ifs"...why not?
The Following User Says Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
stingray (04-20-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #14
TheRoBoat

This may seem like an "I told you so" post given my leanings, however the most important sentence to take from the article is:

"He and his wife then headed to their house in New Hampshire. "

I believe they record deaths as your residence address, not where you actually pass away, so this is probably not in the NH totals.

Sad story, and what many locals have been fearing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/18/n...gtype=Homepage
Old 04-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #15
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoBoat View Post
This may seem like an "I told you so" post given my leanings, however the most important sentence to take from the article is:

"He and his wife then headed to their house in New Hampshire. "

I believe they record deaths as your residence address, not where you actually pass away, so this is probably not in the NH totals.

Sad story, and what many locals have been fearing.

Were I living in the NYC metro I would head for the hills too!

This statement in the article annoyed me:

"Where these kinds of voters align is not in the right’s hatred of the marginalized but in its distrust of the news."

I do not personally have any "hatred for the marginalized" and feel that the author stipulates this as fact.

With no intention of starting a left right war here, I can say that the author discredits herself by villainizing a large, abstract group of people.

I believe that humans care for and wish the best for other humans.

How we go about helping people can be very different.

A difference in approach does not equal "hatred".

Last edited by 8gv; 04-19-2020 at 07:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Chris M (06-05-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #16
marinewife

My old college roommate just recovered from it, in NJ. She probably caught it at work at CBS offices in NYC, she thinks. She was tested, positive her 3rd day.

She had fever, hallucinations, extreme body aches and fatigue, and couldn't seem to get out of her bed for 18 days.

Her husband and son both caught it as well, and only had 3 days of those same issues. They also both tested positive.

Same house, but completely different circumstances and lengths of time.

Two adults 62, 1 adult son 25, who came home to help care for his mother.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #17
SailinAway

I know a woman in her 30s, extremely athletic, who got COVID-19 and has been trying to recover from it for more than a month. She described it as far worse than the flu. She thought she had recovered at one point and then got worse.

It is now being reported that COVID-19 causes heart failure. I believe a friend of mine had COVID-19 when he died of a heart problem one month ago. He could not get treatment in time because of chaos in the hospital.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:09 PM   #18
ApS

Arrow Nope. It's Everybody-Else's Fault...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoBoat View Post
This may seem like an "I told you so" post given my leanings, however the most important sentence to take from the article is: "He and his wife then headed to their house in New Hampshire. "
I believe they record deaths as your residence address, not where you actually pass away, so this is probably not in the NH totals. Sad story, and what many locals have been fearing.
While it is a sad story, the decedent was in his mid-70s, lived in the center of the virus cauldron that is NY City, closed his tavern on the last possible day—and his co-bartender also died of Covid-19.

As member 8gv has just indicated, the reason he died is "everybody else": The author, perhaps paid by the word, is a part of "The Bubble".

Sad, but he was in a risk factor for his age.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2020, 07:17 AM   #19
Susie Cougar

What bothers me most about this story is that he never believed it was a serious threat. So how many people did he come in contact with between March 14 and March 27 when he was finally diagnosed?
Old 04-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #20
ApS

Arrow Stop Flights, Invite Crowds Anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
What bothers me most about this story is that he never believed it was a serious threat. So how many people did he come in contact with between March 14 and March 27 when he was finally diagnosed?
You see, it's the style of "The Bubble" to personalize an issue. This is the story of one victim. But whose stories have been left untold?

Many more people were exposed to COVID-19 by blanket invitations to crowd the several "Chinatowns" in the US.

A New York Governor, a NYC mayor, Speaker of the House, all invited crowding three weeks after the US stopped flights from China.

Would we find hundreds of untold horror stories in the New York Times of San Franciscoans beckoned to their demise by Nancy? (I couldn't find a single one, and references like the following are scarce.)
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...atown/2240247/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
"Elderly"?

"Life experienced."

"Seasoned Citizen".

How many of these friends are New Hamphireites?

I ask, because the biggest "hotspot" is a huge blob located between Boston and Washington.

("BOSNY-WASH Corridor").
Old 05-31-2020, 04:24 PM   #21
MeredithMan

Default My 3 Data Points....

3 examples from my world:

My daughter is an RN at Concord Hospital. One of her co-workers--another mid 20's RN--"didn't feel right". Took her own temp...slight fever..99+. Decided since she is in healthcare, she should get tested. She had it. Quarantined at home for 2 weeks. Got re-tested and was clear. She told my daughter that other than feeling a little off for 1 day, she felt fine.

My in-laws, both almost 87, live at an assisted living facility in NH. They tested positive two weeks ago. Neither has had a single symptom and tell us daily that they "feel fine". Both of them are in very good health, other than some mild dementia.

It is a very strange illness in that you can have 3 people like my in-laws and my daughter's co-worker who go through it without issue, and other folks are on death's door.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:19 PM   #22
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
3 examples from my world:

My daughter is an RN at Concord Hospital. One of her co-workers--another mid 20's RN--"didn't feel right". Took her own temp...slight fever..99+. Decided since she is in healthcare, she should get tested. She had it. Quarantined at home for 2 weeks. Got re-tested and was clear. She told my daughter that other than feeling a little off for 1 day, she felt fine.

My in-laws, both almost 87, live at an assisted living facility in NH. They tested positive two weeks ago. Neither has had a single symptom and tell us daily that they "feel fine". Both of them are in very good health, other than some mild dementia.

It is a very strange illness in that you can have 3 people like my in-laws and my daughter's co-worker who go through it without issue, and other folks are on death's door.
The “key” factor in most Chinese virus deaths are caused by pre-exsiting health conditions (talked about ad nauseum) and not the virus itself. Sounds simple to me...
Old 05-31-2020, 05:22 PM   #23
8gv

Regarding the two old guys...

Could the tests be giving false positives?
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Reilly (06-01-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 08:07 PM   #24
MeredithMan

Default Don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Regarding the two old guys...

Could the tests be giving false positives?
Don't know about the test being false positive. Our focus was just on making sure they didn't end up circling the drain, due to their age.

My mother-in-law wouldn't be thrilled at being called "an old guy".

However, it reminds me of a funny story. My in-laws were living in MA when gay marriage became legal there a number of years ago. We visited them shortly after gay marriage became legal. At one point during the visit, (when my mother in law was not in the room), my father in law said to my wife and me, "Now that gay marriage is legal in Mass, when your mother dies, I'm marrying a guy, 'cause then I won't get BITCHED at anymore...!!!"

True story!
Old 05-31-2020, 08:35 PM   #25
Mr. V

I've only talked to one person who had it: a chunky but basically fit 45 or so white collar professional male.

He said he was sick as a dog and confined to bed for about three weeks, and it took three weeks more to feel close to normal again.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:28 PM   #26
8gv

Tell Mom I apologize.

Some how I read that as two uncles.

I guess I need to go get my temperature checked...
Old 06-01-2020, 06:42 AM   #27
Cal-to-NH

Default A coworker and friend got it

A friend of mine (in their 40s) from San Francisco got it directly from China. He has to go to China for one week every Month and he brought it home with him back in February. His Wife and two kids got it (from him) before he showed symptoms. They all recovered and are disease-negative, antibody positive. The kids have no lingering effects but he and his wife are still a bit debilitated, unable to sleep, and unable to walk even a block without shortness of breath. They are having problems getting Pulmonary specialists to see them right now because they are still overworked trying to help people who are critical with the active disease. They are very frustrated and concerned that this might be a permanent issue. I think he needs to give it more time, but I guess that recovery can take a while for some folks...

As testing expands they are finding that 20% - 30% of the US population is testing positive, which as others have pointed out means that some folks may experience it as a light common cold. Others are dead in 5 days. This one is definitely weird.

The fact that you can shed for as long as ten days before you know you're sick, and the NYU report showing that it lingers as an Upper Respiratory infection - unlike Influenza and other Lower-Respiratory infections - means that the spread is rapid through the air. Talking, singing, sneezing, coughing are all risks for spread.

They have been predicting pandemics for decades. Even I started to ignore the warnings thinking it would never happen. Everyone thought it would be a paramyxovirus, but it turned out to be another Coronavirus. Remember two things. (1) we add 1 Billion people to the earth every 13 years now. and (2) Travel is cheap and prevalent. Between those two things we will as a species be getting new viruses, and unfortunately if they have the right characteristics they will spread pretty quickly. Yes, Ebola is crazy-fatal, but you acquire it from someone and show symptoms in 24 hours, which limits it's spread if you take any actions against it. An upper-respiratory infection that you can spread for 10 days without knowing you have it - even if lower mortality - will kill Millions if unchecked.

There will be more pandemics. There is no doubt. But nobody knows when....

Last edited by Cal-to-NH; 06-01-2020 at 06:54 AM. Reason: expanded
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal-to-NH For This Useful Post:
erick26 (08-08-2020)