Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Van Works in Gilford

My heated drivers seat has not been working all winter. I brought my Town & Country van to the dealer. The dealer charged me $100 to tell me I needed a new heat element. I was then told that the element installed would be $500. I said "WHAT"? They then said it could be installed for$400. I contacted Van Works in Gilford. They replaced the heater element for $275. The manager even brought me to the movies because it was very cold and I was going to walk. When the movie was done my van was ready. I would definitely recommend them to anyone.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
Water Camper

Default Van Works

I used them last summer to install a new receiver/CD Player in my boat. Excellent work.

Hope that helps,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
My heated drivers seat has not been working all winter. I brought my Town & Country van to the dealer. The dealer charged me $100 to tell me I needed a new heat element. I was then told that the element installed would be $500. I said "WHAT"? They then said it could be installed for$400. I contacted Van Works in Gilford. They replaced the heater element for $275. The manager even brought me to the movies because it was very cold and I was going to walk. When the movie was done my van was ready. I would definitely recommend them to anyone.
A dealer is always going to be more expensive than an independent repair shop. They use factory parts which are higher priced and they have a higher labor rate because their overhead is higher. You already paid the dealer the $100 diagnostic fee so the independent shop didn't have to do that part of the job.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:48 AM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
A dealer is always going to be more expensive than an independent repair shop. They use factory parts which are higher priced and they have a higher labor rate because their overhead is higher. You already paid the dealer the $100 diagnostic fee so the independent shop didn't have to do that part of the job.
It would have been a total of $275 even if I hadn't had the problem previously diagnosed at the dealer.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

They do excellent work there. Over the years we have had lots of work done by them, including stereo installs and at least 4 remote car starters. Always a good experience with them.