Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #101
Resident 2B

Mr. and Mrs. BR, congratulations on the new puppy.

We have an 11 week old Golden that we have had for 3 weeks and are going through all the fun and pain that goes with a puppy. They have more energy than we do. The kids are grown, so it is mainly just older adults. We must be boring him .

R2B
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (12-23-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #102
Jmo77011

Default Not a fan, but...

Last year one of the guys my husband works with moved in to the townhouse next to us. They had a female Pitt who was, as they said, "a little nippy" (!). Anyway, one afternoon I hooked my 6 lb Mini Pinscher up ON HIS RUN and the neighbors dog mauled him. I have never been so scared, and pissed off at the same time. I rushed my little guy to the Vet and by the grace of God, he is fine. I'll spare you the details, but the Vet said that there was no way that the Pitt was "playing"; it was going for the kill.
We had two young children (now we have 3) and my husband demanded that they get rid of the dog or we would press charges. It caused hard feelings. So be it. If you have an aggressive dog and can't control it, at the very least, please keep it on a leash.
I am not a fan of Pitt Bulls after that, but I can't believe that they are ALL dangerous. I think most of the behavior stems from how they are raised. I'd be a liar if I said that I am comfortable around them though.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #103
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmo77011 View Post
Last year one of the guys my husband works with moved in to the townhouse next to us. They had a female Pitt who was, as they said, "a little nippy" (!). Anyway, one afternoon I hooked my 6 lb Mini Pinscher up ON HIS RUN and the neighbors dog mauled him. I have never been so scared, and pissed off at the same time. I rushed my little guy to the Vet and by the grace of God, he is fine. I'll spare you the details, but the Vet said that there was no way that the Pitt was "playing"; it was going for the kill.
We had two young children (now we have 3) and my husband demanded that they get rid of the dog or we would press charges. It caused hard feelings. So be it. If you have an aggressive dog and can't control it, at the very least, please keep it on a leash.
I am not a fan of Pitt Bulls after that, but I can't believe that they are ALL dangerous. I think most of the behavior stems from how they are raised. I'd be a liar if I said that I am comfortable around them though.
Looking at the images below of different breeds of dogs, which one would you say looks like the dog that attacked your dog?

Old 12-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #104
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Looking at the images below of different breeds of dogs, which one would you say looks like the dog that attacked your dog?

I fail to see what your point is. Obviously the neighbors in this case said it was a pit bull. A pit bull is a pit bull if it is 5%, 10% of any percentage there after it still has the traits that make it a dangerous dog. Just because it isn't a purebred doesn't mean it isn't just as dangerous. Just the name speaks volumes for many people.
As far as I'm concerned anyone that owns one is not welcome around me no matter who they are.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #105
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I fail to see what your point is. Obviously the neighbors in this case said it was a pit bull. A pit bull is a pit bull if it is 5%, 10% of any percentage there after it still has the traits that make it a dangerous dog. Just because it isn't a purebred doesn't mean it isn't just as dangerous. Just the name speaks volumes for many people.
As far as I'm concerned anyone that owns one is not welcome around me no matter who they are.
Wow, now I know why you are having problems with your neighbor.

Unbelievable!!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #106
8gv

Quote:
I agree that they are not likely to be all bad. The trouble is, how can you tell? Are the good pit bulls the ones that didn't maul another pet or person? Dare I say, yet?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #107
LadyJane

My neighbor has a pit bull and she is a sweetie pie....the dog. Well, the neighbor too.... She is affectionate, playful and loving. There is another dog in the household, a mixed breed, and two cats, and they all sleep together, groom each other and are quite happy and content.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #108
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Mr. and Mrs. BR, congratulations on the new puppy.

We have an 11 week old Golden that we have had for 3 weeks and are going through all the fun and pain that goes with a puppy. They have more energy than we do. The kids are grown, so it is mainly just older adults. We must be boring him .

R2B
Thank you, puppies are the best. Ours is the same age, she was 13 weeks when we drove down and picked her out 2 weeks ago.
We were all set to adopt buy they just make it so hard and so expensive that we decided to go with a purebred.
She has taken to the other two very well in fact it is though out male of 2 years has adopted her. They play for hours and although you know her puppy teeth are hurting him, he is so gentle with her. Occasionally he does have to let her know she is hurting him.
We had to come up to our Maine camp to remove all the snow from the roof before the next storm so she has been adapting to this house and it didn't take a day before she was versed at using the doggie door to go outside into the fenced in area.
Enjoy your new addition to the family, I know we will.
Resident 2B (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #109
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Wow, now I know why you are having problems with your neighbor.

Unbelievable!!
So Rusty what you are saying is that because we have had 3 instances where we or our animals were attacked by 3 different pit bulls owned buy our neighbors we should be understanding of the neighbors and loving of pit bulls.
You are unbelievable!! You just don't get it do you?
My wife had been pinned against the garage, and I was snapped at just after they moved in. Then they loose one to cancer (thank god) which they replace with a puppy that has since grown up attacked our beagle and now killed one of our Jacks. On top of that in other instances with other pit bulls my wife's sister was attacked and recently at a family gathering my sons mutt was attacked by a pit bull puppy and both dogs had to be restrained but yet the pit bull kept coming after his dog for no apparent reason.
Yes we do consider our neighbors to be white trash and always have since they moved in, but that aside they also as was stated in earlier posts if you had taken the time to read them, we have never seen them abuse their dogs and they have 2 young children in the house.
I have enough basis to know that I hate the dogs and will never put myself in a position to have another episode again.
I've always respected what you've posted but in this case it is obvious that you are one of those that have to learn the hard way. Lets hope you are not one of those that has a family member hurt of killed by one of these dogs weather it be a partial pit bull of a purebred pit bull.
I was open minded about the breed, although I would never own one or want to be around one I've always been open minded. Now however I'm opposed to them and if there is any way I can have an impact on putting restrictions on these dogs or their owners I will.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #110
Jmo77011

Probably the most like #16 although with no white on her chest. I didn't do a bloodline search on the dog or anything. The neighbor said she was a Pit Bull, and I saw no reason to question them.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #111
Rusty

Quote:
Probably the most like #16 although with no white on her chest. I didn't do a bloodline search on the dog or anything. The neighbor said she was a Pit Bull, and I saw no reason to question them.
Thank you for the response.

I wasn't trying to start any trouble with my question, I was just curious as to what the dog looked like because there are so many breeds that get lumped into the "Pit Bull" category.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #112
donthasslemeimlocal

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
• • What Pit Bull advocates need is a video that can show similar traits that are touchingly demonstrated in the following video for Golden Retrievers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Ffzay3YL4
If you watch any of these videos, please make sure it's this one, Sharkie the Pit Bull; he's a true advocate for their breed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VtE0ySQwhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61dMmEo4qjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bBoteLBU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjzKGn5pa2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPd2J3HFJxM

I can go on......??
Old 12-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #113
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthasslemeimlocal View Post
Here's one of Charlie Manson singing and dancing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhE-F8Zw-3o

Wanna invite him to your next Tupperware party??...
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Pontoon Goon (12-26-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #114
donthasslemeimlocal

mine are factual? your video is a mashup of music and video clips on repeat?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #115
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Funny one, ishoot308.......cracked me up.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #116
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Here's one of Charlie Manson singing and dancing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhE-F8Zw-3o

Wanna invite him to your next Tupperware party??...

Why is this video posted here?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #117
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Why is this video posted here?
It's posted here to show the relevance between a video of a pitbull with chickens walking on it and how that relates to the killer instinct switch that's imbedded in their brain, there is no relevance! That dog will eventually have a nice bloody chicken dinner sooner or later!

Most people are afraid of pit-bulls because one minute they are as docile as can be and the next minute, for whatever reason, they can and will turn into very viscous animals.

A video of a pitt-bull with chickens walking on it is completely irrelevant to this conversation and as stupid as Charles Manson as an entertainer at a Tupperware party because he can sing and dance.

Sorry for any confusion.

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (12-26-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #118
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthasslemeimlocal View Post
Please do: those videos show the good traits found in all dogs.

More convincing would be to find where a Pit Bull is the hero in one of those "viral" videos showing a rescue of a disabled dog from multiple lanes of speeding traffic. My friend's Pit Bull reacted suddenly to kill a smaller doggy-playmate—all too common an occurrence.

I was looking for something of "a reach-out"—other than a trained nose—or the "jaws of life", both of which are demonstrated by all breeds.

I've yet to see a Pit Bull showing the concern—or the apparent affection—as shown here:
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #119
donthasslemeimlocal

Quote:
I've yet to see a Pit Bull showing the concern—or the apparent affection—as shown here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I don't know how much more concern and affection can be shown from all these videos, articles and news reports that have already gone viral about the pit bull who dragged her owner out of the way of an oncoming train.
From what everyone is saying sounds like the dog should have just waited for the lady to be pulverized and enjoyed a nice prepared meal, instead the dog took the hit for the woman and thankfully both are alive today because of it. What a horrible dog!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #120
Bigstan

Default Another one....

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/204...to-be-put-down
Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #121
donthasslemeimlocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post

http://wtvr.com/2012/05/03/jack-russ...infant-attack/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sy-attack.html

http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsd...E2%80%99s-ear/

Its not just pit bulls.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #122
Puck

BR, Sorry about your dog. There is no excuse for your neighbor's actions.

If I may, I would not blame the dog. The dog did exactly what it was bred to do. The problem is that some people decide that they like the look of a thing and then choose to deny what that thing really is. Pit Bulls are working dogs. They were bred to guard, attack, and possibly kill. They were not bred to be pets. To deny the breed's heritage and purpose is to court disaster. There is still a place for the breed, but it should probably be limited to those situations where the breed's abilities and characteristics are needed and definately only with owners that respect, and I daresay admire, the breed for what it is and can do. Unfortunately, your neighbor does not seem to be one of these people. If she will not be responsible, you will likely need to take action to protect you and yours. Please do so humanely.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #123
ApS

Default Foggy Monitor...

Well, what do you know?

http://cheezburger.com/46358017
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
donthasslemeimlocal (01-07-2013), gillygirl (01-15-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (01-16-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #124
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Well, what do you know?

http://cheezburger.com/46358017
What an incredible story! Thanks so much for sharing it.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #125
ApS

Default Pit Bulls and Kitties...

There does seem to be a bond across the species:

Maybe you've already seen the video of Christian the Lion at wimp.com...

http://www.wimp.com/christianlion/
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #126
trfour

Post Quote aps...

"There does seem to be a bond across the species:"

The only thing in common with Pit Bulls, the kitten in the picture wouldn't hurt a soul, unless your not the person with it! And I have seen lesser animals turn on a dime, so to speak.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #127
donthasslemeimlocal

http://www.ellentv.com/2013/01/08/ka...n-the-hot-tub/

Horrible animal, so dumb.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #128
gillygirl

I'm trying to stay neutral on this one because someone lost their beloved pet to an unattended pitty, but I do want to give my personal experience with pit bull-type dogs.

I've had a Golden Retriever in the past. She was a very sweet, well-behaved dog, and she wanted to be near us, but didn't really want us to give her physical affection. She'd get up and walk away from it.

My current dog is a rescue, and her heritage is unknown. Ruby was described as a lab-mix, but by the shape of her head, I'd say she's got at least one of the bully-breed dogs in the mix. She is 180 out from the Golden with regards to training. The Goldie got it wrong once, and then she knew what was expected of her. Ruby seems to have no short-term memory. You say no, and then a minute later, she's doing the same wrong behavior. Therefore, she's always on leash, and even that can be hard because she's so strong. She's pulled me down a number of times when I was inattentive and didn't notice the neighbor's cat was out (my cat beats her up in the house, by the way). That being said, she is the most affectionate dog I've ever seen. It's nice snuggling with a dog and not having it get up and walk away. And she's goofy like the dog in the Pets for Vets video. So I hate to see all pit bulls lumped into one category. They are definitely not for first-time dog owners, or for people who let their dogs run loose.

My apologies for the long post.

GG
The Following User Says Thank You to gillygirl For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (01-15-2013)
Closed Thread