Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
Garcia

Default What are schools doing?

I'm curious as to what schools in the Lakes Region and elsewhere are planning to do when the new school year starts. Are they opening fully, going with a hybrid model, or starting fully remote? Specific day school and/or district plans are helpful, both public and independent.

I'n not looking to stir the pot, start a discussion on the virus, criticize decisions that are being made, etc - just simply want to know what schools are planning, particularly schools in rural areas with low COVID rates.

Thanks!

Last edited by Garcia; 08-13-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 08-13-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
MeredithMan

Default 2 data points that I know....

First, let me say that I would not want to be a school administrator, (public, private, college, etc), for anything right now. It is "lose-lose" and no matter what you decide, people will hate you.

My niece is a 1st grade teacher in MA. Her school is doing a weekly hybrid model. Half of her students will be in class and half will be remote learning. The next week, the groups shift...the home kids come to school, and the school kids learn at home. And so on, and so on...

My son is about to enter Junior year at WPI. Students can return to campus, OR do remote learning. If they decide to do remote, they can't go to campus. If they decide to do "on-campus", they have to have a negative Corona test that is being orchestrated by the school. Students have an assigned 30 minute slot on a given day to move their stuff into the dorms. They will then have an app on which they report daily their temperature and if they are having any symptoms. There will also be weekly Corona tests. Students are not allowed to go home till Thanksgiving and families are not allowed to visit. Campus cafeterias will be "take-out" only. Students have to wear masks, social distance, etc. Classes will still be virtual, with the exception of labs. STudents have been advised to bring bare minimum of clothes and supplies in the event they decide to pull the plug and send everyone home part way through the semester.
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
First, let me say that I would not want to be a school administrator, (public, private, college, etc), for anything right now. It is "lose-lose" and no matter what you decide, people will hate you.

My niece is a 1st grade teacher in MA. Her school is doing a weekly hybrid model. Half of her students will be in class and half will be remote learning. The next week, the groups shift...the home kids come to school, and the school kids learn at home. And so on, and so on...

My son is about to enter Junior year at WPI. Students can return to campus, OR do remote learning. If they decide to do remote, they can't go to campus. If they decide to do "on-campus", they have to have a negative Corona test that is being orchestrated by the school. Students have an assigned 30 minute slot on a given day to move their stuff into the dorms. They will then have an app on which they report daily their temperature and if they are having any symptoms. There will also be weekly Corona tests. Students are not allowed to go home till Thanksgiving and families are not allowed to visit. Campus cafeterias will be "take-out" only. Students have to wear masks, social distance, etc. Classes will still be virtual, with the exception of labs. STudents have been advised to bring bare minimum of clothes and supplies in the event they decide to pull the plug and send everyone home part way through the semester.
I can tell you that New Hampton is fully opening with a lot of restrictions and sports monitored very carefully with many changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Garcia (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 11:32 AM   #4
Garcia

Quote:

Thanks for the input. When I am not at the lake (or these days, even when I am) I am a school administrator Luckily, I'm not hated in the community - at least not at the moment. We'll see how people feel once the school year starts. At the moment, we are planning to open with in person learning for all (families can opt to be remote). That said, I make it clear that the situation could change between now and opening day.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Garcia

I'd be interested to know how your school/system will decide who will/how teach remotely for those who choose to not send their kids.

I have heard of schools ( local) that will not have regular teaching staff do BOTH in-class and remote teaching.

I agree (Meredith Man)- I would not want to be in school administration at this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Mr. V (08-14-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
I'd be interested to know how your school/system will decide who will/how teach remotely for those who choose to not send their kids.

I have heard of schools ( local) that will not have regular teaching staff do BOTH in-class and remote teaching.

I agree (Meredith Man)- I would not want to be in school administration at this time.
We are a very small school (50 students in PreK-6), which works to our advantage. Our teachers will be responsible for both in person and remote learning, with the support of me and our new Remote Learning Coordinator. It is extra work for all, but I am fortunate to have a staff that is willing and able to rise to the challenge.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
Mr. V

Out here on the left coast school districts are lobbying for immunity from liability for giving teachers and students covid-19 while attending.

Not just schools would benefit: employers too.

What is the status of potential liability in NH?
Old 08-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #8
AC2717

Pelham NH 100% open, parents decisions to go remote or not for their kids

(The way it should be)
Old 08-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Merrimack is starting hybrid: AA/BB/Flex (defined as catch-up, extra help).

Where I teach is starting hybrid as well: AA/Remote/BB.

An email was sent to parents yesterday, and it's horrifying how dystopic it sounds.

As many people have mentioned, it's a horrible time to be in administration right now (though it won't be a picnic for educators, either—I'm still not sure what exactly I'll be facing in a couple weeks).

Feel free to PM me for more specific dialogue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #10
jazzman

Seems like most small-medium NH districts are 100% open with a remote option. Given the small infection rate here, it will probably be fine until flu season and then it will fall apart because of the very cautious rules and it will be hard to tell who has what. I suspect testing will fall apart too with a huge volume of desired tests that will take so long to process that they will be useless.
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzman For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 08:45 AM   #11
Pam

My sympathies to everyone in this situation: parents, administrators, teachers, etc. All "solutions" are basically inadequate and guarantee pretty much everyone involved will be unhappy. Everyone needs to be tolerant, patient, and have some faith that people are trying their best (except the kids! Making sure they try their best might take a little persuasion!)

Quick and cheap testing would completely be a game changer, and I've read articles that these types of tests might be in the works- something that could be used in schools twice a week or so. It's going to take something like this, in the absence of an effective treatment or vaccine, to make school close to normal again. Otherwise, we're looking at pretty much constant disruption as shutdowns occur, etc, if what's happening in other parts of the country already are any indication. People in the community need to be really smart and cautious as well, and stop equating adherence to important public health measures as loss of freedom. A virus in our midst threatens our freedoms!
Old 08-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #12
XCR-700

Quote:
Agreed.

And while I dont by any means claim to know what the "truth" is, its getting to politicized that I no longer have faith is either party or the press to be 100% honest about whats going on.

I have given up on official guidance and simply do what I feel is reasonable or what is required.

Crazy times we live in,,,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-19-2020), Top-Water (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #13
Susie Cougar

Manatee County, Florida, where I live, has just finished its first week of school. Approximately half of the students have returned for in school instruction. Because of the reduced amount of students, social distancing in the classrooms has been easier to accomplish.

All students and staff have their temperatures taken every day and have to fill out an online form about their health status and if they have been in contact with anyone who has tested positive or is showing symptoms. The kids have been great about wearing masks and there have not been any issues at all.

Of the 78 schools, nine schools have students that have tested positive. The schools do not close down and the areas the students were in are disinfected again and the students and anyone that has come in contact with them have to quarantine, as well.
However, even though the students have to fill out a form every day, the district’s contact tracing shows that the students have been in contact with a family member or an extended family member who tested positive or had symptoms.
Everyone seems to be looking to Florida to see what is going to happen.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:49 AM   #14
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
People in the community need to be really smart and cautious as well, and stop equating adherence to important public health measures as loss of freedom. A virus in our midst threatens our freedoms!
U.S. District Court Judge James C. Dever said unequivocally that “There is no pandemic exception to the Constitution of the United States or the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment.”

Once we give up freedom and constitutional rights, they’re gone forever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-23-2020), joey2665 (08-23-2020), Top-Water (08-24-2020), XCR-700 (09-01-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #15
MeredithMan

Default dropped him off yesterday...

Quote:

OK, so made the big drop at college yesterday. I have to say that of the 7 college move-ins I've done with my kids, this one was by far the least chaotic. Of course, this is due to the fact that only about 2/3 of the students have opted for "on-campus" learning, and the fact that they are spacing out the move-ins, rather than the typical cattle call of the past. When I hugged my son goodbye, he said, "well, dad, I'll either see you at Thanksgiving, or in a couple weeks when they pull the plug..."