Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
winnitru

Default Golden breeder

Our beloved Golden lost her battle with spleen cancer last month. We would
love another, but her breeder has retired. Can anyone recommend a home breeder for Golden Retrievers in the Lakes Region? We are looking for a family pet, not a show or breeding animal. Thanks.
winnitru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnitru View Post
Our beloved Golden lost her battle with spleen cancer last month. We would
love another, but her breeder has retired. Can anyone recommend a home breeder for Golden Retrievers in the Lakes Region? We are looking for a family pet, not a show or breeding animal. Thanks.
There is one in Tuftonboro and she has puppies now. Not sure if they are all sold. I think her name is Dot Hyde? if you don't find it maybe I can find out for you.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
winnitru (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Williams Hyde-Away Farm - Home | Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/williamshydeawayfarm
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
winnitru (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #4
Garcia

About four hours away https://www.bentleybrookretrievers.com/. These are fox red retrievers, not goldens; beautiful dogs! I never thought I would have a lab after having a golden, but fell in love with these.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
winnitru (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
MeredithMan

Default Colonial Goldens

...Colonial Goldens, Lebanon, ME, Maryterese Russo. (www.colonialgoldens.com). Not exactly Lakes Region, but not too far, either. About an hour, give or take, from here. We bought both of our Goldens from her. While she has puppies regularly, she also has young adults for sale, although she does not promote that on her website...you need to send her an email asking for a young adult, if that is your preference over a pup. We did not want to do the puppy thing, and got both of ours at about 18 mos old.
Attached Images

MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (04-04-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
winnitru

Meredith Man your pups are spectacular! Thank you all for your replies. I have some great places to start. I am grateful for your inputs.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:38 AM   #7
kwoods8091

Hi,

Profile Goldens in Barrington NH is awesome. Very sorry for your loss.

Kim
kwoods8091 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwoods8091 For This Useful Post:
winnitru (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 06:43 AM   #8
Not to Worry

Default Goldens are the best!

Sorry you lost you friend. Without a doubt the are the best breed out there!!
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Not to Worry For This Useful Post:
winnitru (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 07:57 AM   #9
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Right over the state line from Wakefield, NH in Newfield, ME, Bond Mountain Kennels will have golden puppies in the Spring of 2020. So sorry for your loss.

https://www.bondmountainkennels.com/

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
winnitru (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 02:40 PM   #10
ThePlut

I'm sorry for your loss winnitru.

I'd like to second Colonial Goldens. We are on our second and they are wonderful dogs. Both were/are very light colored goldens. Great temperments.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePlut For This Useful Post:
winnitru (03-31-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So I just took a look at a couple of the breeders referenced in this thread.... You have got to be kidding me... 1,800$ for a Golden? I love dogs, and have had them all my life. I have even had a golden.... But when I see breeder's fleecing people I have to point it out.

I have two pure bread Border Collies, I did my homework spent time looking around and found someone that not only breads her dogs but shows them as well. And paid 1/3 of the price that I was able to find else where. The question you should be asking your self is why? Well that is because above all else she is a breader, she has taken the time to get educated on breading and caring for her dogs.... This means she is able to give them all their shots herself, and really only needs to use the vet to do physical examinations. Most of these so called breeders with the wonderful sounding kennel names, and high prices, have to have the high prices, because they really don't care for the animals themselves.... The pay to have vets take care of all the shots, etc. I can understand this, but don't call yourself a breeder, if really your trying to make sure you line your pockets, and have to do a minimal amount of work......

Don't get me wrong, I am not say that these aren't wonderful dogs, they likely are.... But spend the time to do the research and find someone that just wants to see their dogs enjoyed by others... It took me a few months to find my breeder, but when I did the price was right, and the quality of what I got was worth so much more.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:57 PM   #12
MeredithMan

Default I have to disagree...

I spent over $2K for each of my Goldens and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I know for a fact that Maryterese at Colonial Goldens does all the work around the kennel herself, (along with a 20-something helper). She is the one bathing/grooming all the dogs; she is the one feeding them; she is the one shoveling all the poop; she is the one scrubbing the kennel at the end of each day so the place doesn't look or smell like a kennel. And yes, she shows her higher quality dogs as well. And I would absolutely want to work with a breeder that brings in a Vet to ensure the health of the animals and I'm willing to pay for that.

I'm sure that most, if not all, small "home" breeders are very similar to Colonial. They are not puppy mills; they are people who truly love their animals and what they do, and they are not lining their pockets with cash.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #13
8gv

I'd bet that there are some great pups at these and other breeders.

That said, a business can increase the perceived value of a product by charging more for it.

Many buyers will not see the value in paying more and therefore will not.

Some buyers will gladly pay the premium price.

The price of everything, including pricey puppies, is about to go down.

Again, great breeders, great dogs I am sure.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
I spent over $2K for each of my Goldens and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I know for a fact that Maryterese at Colonial Goldens does all the work around the kennel herself, (along with a 20-something helper). She is the one bathing/grooming all the dogs; she is the one feeding them; she is the one shoveling all the poop; she is the one scrubbing the kennel at the end of each day so the place doesn't look or smell like a kennel. And yes, she shows her higher quality dogs as well. And I would absolutely want to work with a breeder that brings in a Vet to ensure the health of the animals and I'm willing to pay for that.

I'm sure that most, if not all, small "home" breeders are very similar to Colonial. They are not puppy mills; they are people who truly love their animals and what they do, and they are not lining their pockets with cash.
In a situation like the two Breeders linked here, what you are paying for is for them to go after their ambitions to get the next great show dog... Don't kid yourself they are set up as a business.. I don't question that they are great dogs.... And I am certainly not trying to shame anyone for paying that much.

What I like to point out however, is that if you look around you can find good quality dogs, that aren't breed in puppy mills, for considerably less. Most times they are people that care deeply about the dogs, may have shown them at one time, and are now just like to promote the bread. In my case, the breeder had a couple of dogs she showed, because they where ideal... she then took them and a few others that she acquired in the process and decided to breed decent healthy pets.... She was not looking to breed the next stable show dog, in fact she didn't keep any puppies for the 2 years I worked with her.

I have dealt with breeders such as the ones in this thread... if they will try and tell you that they are dedicated to the breed, and trying to bread fine examples of the breed.... But all of them in the end are trying to breed a champion show dog, I have even seen some go as far, as requiring you to bring the dogs back at one year of age, so they can evaluate them, and give you another puppy in exchange if they believe the dog is show worthy... They don't advertise it, but you end up finding it sometimes in the paper work.... Both of these kennels indicate that they do not give you breeding rights.... why is that? Because especially with a male they are scared you will stud the dog out, to a breeder that they compete with.... It is a business don't be fooled....

BTW, 2 male boarder collies, I have all the paper work, and full breeding rights....I have the complete linage tree, so that I can ensure there is no inbreeding.... Will I ever use it, probably not.....

The message is simple, look around do some research, and if you think the right thing to do is spend 2000$ then that is your choice.... But don't get lulled into the fact that you have too....
Old 04-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #15
4 for Boating

This is a bit off topic but seeing it was about Goldens I could not resist.
So we are on our 4th golden (love the breed)

About a year ago we lost our 3rd to cancer - the first 2 went the same way with not a one getting over 7 years old. (3 dogs / 2 different sources/breeders) Anyway, after we lost our last dog, we investigated what in the hell is going on and if we just had bad luck. What we found is that the published cancer rate here in the US for Goldens is up over a 60% cause of death and the life expectancy is now down to 9 to 10 years in the US where in Europe it is 12-14 years old with a lower 38% cancer rate. To me it is in many of the bloodlines at this point in the US but that's just a personal oppinion as I'm not a doctor/vet.

>> So we purchased our current golden from overseas (not a show dog) - I KNOW it seems crazy but from our track record to go back and buy again here in the US and experience the same results would be insanity - so painful to lose a dog at that age and before his time. (You know how the saying goes... doing the same thing expecting different results)

Something is going on with this breed in the US with cancer - the numbers show that. (In fact they have a very large study going on now to try to figure out why) Does that mean you will get a dog here in the US that gets cancer, who is to say but I can tell you that it is a problem here in the US and it was 3 strikes for us.

Send some pictures when you get your new puppy!
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:22 AM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
This is a bit off topic but seeing it was about Goldens I could not resist.
So we are on our 4th golden (love the breed)

About a year ago we lost our 3rd to cancer - the first 2 went the same way with not a one getting over 7 years old. (3 dogs / 2 different sources/breeders) Anyway, after we lost our last dog, we investigated what in the hell is going on and if we just had bad luck. What we found is that the published cancer rate here in the US for Goldens is up over a 60% cause of death and the life expectancy is now down to 9 to 10 years in the US where in Europe it is 12-14 years old with a lower 38% cancer rate. To me it is in many of the bloodlines at this point in the US but that's just a personal oppinion as I'm not a doctor/vet.

>> So we purchased our current golden from overseas (not a show dog) - I KNOW it seems crazy but from our track record to go back and buy again here in the US and experience the same results would be insanity - so painful to lose a dog at that age and before his time. (You know how the saying goes... doing the same thing expecting different results)

Something is going on with this breed in the US with cancer - the numbers show that. (In fact they have a very large study going on now to try to figure out why) Does that mean you will get a dog here in the US that gets cancer, who is to say but I can tell you that it is a problem here in the US and it was 3 strikes for us.

Send some pictures when you get your new puppy!
That is some interesting news on what is probably one of the most popular dog breeds in this country. How much red tape was involved in bring a puppy from overseas into this country?

Having lost one dog very young to seizures, I can sympathize and understand why you would decide to go the route you did... Golden's seem to make great family dogs, I just knew, that our condo wasn't big enough for two goldens.... It is barely big enough for two considerable smaller border collies.....
Old 04-02-2020, 08:03 AM   #17
MeredithMan

Default There is an issue with cancer in Goldens...

...you bring up a very relevant point, 4-for-Boating. I don't know if there has been a lot of research into it, but Goldens for some reason are susceptible to a number of cancers, seemingly more so than other breeds.

We had our previous Golden for 13 years, and she developed a Hemangiosarcoma on the heart. These are tumors in the blood vessels and apparently seem to show up either in the heart or spleen. There was nothing that could be done other than enjoy every day of the remaining 3 months we had with her.

One of our current Goldens had an ultrasound of her tummy in January because she had eaten something around the house, (she and her brother have eaten tv remotes, eyeglasses, socks, banana bread, you name it...), and we wanted to make sure nothing was stuck, as had happened last summer. Anyway, the scan showed there was a small "mass" on her spleen. We didn't want to fool around, so we had CAVES in Concord take out the whole spleen, and the biopsy was negative, thankfully, but all we could envision was another tumor like our previous Golden had.

Is it due to puppy mills? The flea and tick poisons we rub all over them? Who-knows-what in the dog food we feed them?
Old 04-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post

Is it due to puppy mills? The flea and tick poisons we rub all over them? Who-knows-what in the dog food we feed them?
It will be interesting to see what is discovered. My belief is that there will likely be a verity of contributing factors....

I know when I did research on my after my springier died from a seizures I was surprised to find out how common they where in that breed. Although like with cancer in Goldens, know one seem to offer a reason why...

Glad to here your scare last summer turned out positively
MeredithMan (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #19
4 for Boating

Getting from overseas, we dealt with a company that helped get all the paperwork together for us so I’m sure that cost us money – how much was hard to say. The dog came over in a big plastic dog crate with all the paperwork and shots – they choose a plane that had environmental storage that is designed for animal transfer. I understand some of the larger planes have this feature. Again, that cost us too. No dog or cat I think can come into the US that is less than 4 months old.

Cancer-wise > here is a link to the big study going on – lots of articles on this. Like you said, what is causing it? I can tell you that we are in a different house now and use different food so things like that I’m not so sure. Plus, if it was those things, one would think it would hit other breeds as well. To me, it somehow found its way into the US bloodlines and now is impossible to get out. Breeders would need to start all over with new dogs from somewhere else. The thing is that the US golden looks and acts in a way that took many, many years to breed. Picking the best of the litter each time to get the stance, color, nose, coat…. The golden we have looks and acts like an everyday golden but is not as tall and the coat is not as fluffy. Let's see if we can get this one to dock dive like the last.

40 years ago, they US golden lived to 15 now 8 to 10.

https://www.thealternativedaily.com/...-cancer-study/

You are very lucky that the spleen was negative as that type is not typically and our last golden was not so lucky with the same thing. The pain to see our golden slow down, get dizzy and look at each other and say here we go again. To the hospital remove the mass / get the bad news / 1 month surgery recovery and have the dog for another 5 months (of happy times) before having to make that decision. Also, I think 13 years for your prior Golden was actually a good life span – above the curve anyway. We would take that in a second.

We are thinking of getting another one (to have 2) – how is that and what is the age gap that you have? Both male or female or mix?

I hope everyone’s golden lives to very old age – such a wonderful dog.
Who cannot smile just looking at that face?
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4 for Boating For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #20
8gv

CAVES was mentioned.

That's Capital Area Veterinary Emergency and Specialty in Concord.

They saved my Springer's life.

She had a mass on her liver the size of a softball that they removed during a multi hour surgery.

So far she has lived 33 months more than she would have lived without the surgery.

The cost was reasonable.

CAVES...remember that name and I hope you never need it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-02-2020), LIforrelaxin (04-02-2020), MeredithMan (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #21
LIforrelaxin

Quote:

We are thinking of getting another one (to have 2) – how is that and what is the age gap that you have? Both male or female or mix?

With My Boarder Collies both are males, and they are about 18 months apart. Interesting part in my case is that they are genetically brothers, It just so happened the the breeder bread the same to dogs because of the success of the first litter.

Interestingly enough the younger one learned a lot from his older brother. So things like sit and shake came relatively quick. Potty training was another aspect that was greatly reduced as the younger one, followed the example.

With that said they have two different personalities. So we have to pay attention to that, but once you get used to it you don't think much about it.

The best part is that they are like best friends... and actually get a little depressed when we do things with them individually. The keep each other entertained for the most part, so in some respects, we don't have to interact with them quite as much to tire them out.

Although my wife says no, two dogs never again.... I think the likely hood that we will do it again is pretty high...
Old 04-02-2020, 11:29 AM   #22
MeredithMan

Default I'd have 3 if my wife would let me...

Quote:

We really love having the two goldens, one boy and one girl. The girl is 8 and the boy will be 7 in July. We had the girl for about 3 months before we brought the boy home. For a month or so, she looked at us with disgust..."ah, when is he leaving? You are MY humans.." Within a short time, they became--and still are--inseparable. One never lets the other out of his or her sight and they routinely lay down such that they are in contact with each other. It is also interesting that for the same breed, they have distinct personalities. The girl is like Sandy from "Grease"...sweet, innocent...you can picture her in a poodle skirt, cardigan, and bow in her hair. The boy is like Gronk...big, strong, very good looking, and a party animal. The main consideration for having two is that there will be a lot of fur tumbleweeds floating around, especially in shedding season. Brushing them regularly helps, but they still shed. Golden fur does vacuum up easily, however, as opposed to a short-haired dog's fur which sticks to everything.

Lastly, 8gv is spot on. CAVES is amazing. Cannot say enough good things about that place and Dr. Diamond, their surgeon, is top notch and a great person in general.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #23
8gv

If you continuously have two dogs, staggered in age by about 1/2 their lifespan, much of the training is done by the elder dog.

It’s a good program.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #24
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Dogs and Cancer

In my opinion one of the biggest reasons for cancer in dogs or cats is VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds). Basically the gassing off of materials such as flooring, carpeting, furniture, including dog beds! These are the areas where our pets live their lives.

They lie on that hardwood floor that was made in China and manufactured with Formaldehyde and other nasty finishing and adhesive compounds or that carpeting that has so many carcinogens in the manufacturing process that takes months and months to gas off. Even that nice new dog bed you bought for Rover, the filler material and covering is gassing off for a very long time and is not healthy at all to breath.

It has only recently been addressed in the commercial construction industry as all material supplied must now be low VOC compliant. There is no spec for residential building that I am aware of. Again, in my opinion the true magnitude of this issue is being hidden from the public.

Remember the Lumber Liquidators scandal?? If not google it.

One thing you can do to help your pet is ensure the bed he / she sleeps in is made with organic fillers and wash the covering thoroughly before letting them sleep on it.

Here’s an informative read on flooring. https://easiklip.com/blogs/diy-hardw...tors%20Scandal

Just my rambling thoughts on the issue.

Edited to add my last yellow lab died of cancer....

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 04-02-2020 at 05:03 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #25
winnitru

Default Golden Retriever

Vixen was our 3rd Golden to succumb to cancer. She lived to 2 months shy of 13.
When she was diagnosed I came across this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4096726/

It is food for thought.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #26
winnitru

Default Meet Rowdy

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0UYw...iUkbd-JNFdwFqg

We brought our boy home yesterday.
He is from Rebecca and Peter
Foster at Longwood Goldens in Brentwood. Lovely people.
The Following User Says Thank You to winnitru For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (08-13-2020)