Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
bruinsfan

Default Novice looking for a Sled

I've been looking at getting a sled for some time... There are so many options and its a bit overwhelming.

I'm looking for a touring sled for me and my better half that is reliable and sturdy. Something to enjoy, not race around or hotdog with.

Which brands (skidoo,Polaris, Yamaha, artic cat) are known for their touring sleds and which one would be the Cadillac and which one would be the Pinto?

Lastly, does maintance need to be done where you buy it at first or can you go to anyone?

Sorry for the novice question.... Just looking to be pointed in the right direction.

I'm near Moultonborough.... Thx
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan View Post
I've been looking at getting a sled for some time... There are so many options and its a bit overwhelming.

I'm looking for a touring sled for me and my better half that is reliable and sturdy. Something to enjoy, not race around or hotdog with.

Which brands (skidoo,Polaris, Yamaha, artic cat) are known for their touring sleds and which one would be the Cadillac and which one would be the Pinto?

Lastly, does maintance need to be done where you buy it at first or can you go to anyone?

Sorry for the novice question.... Just looking to be pointed in the right direction.

It really depends on your budget, but I would say a 4 stroke touring sled from any of the manufacturers would be Caddys! Are you looking new... give us as much info as possible.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (03-06-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
GTO

Default same position

Quote:

This was us a few months ago. Same questions. Never been on a trail before, nothing. We ended up getting 2 brand new 2015 Skidoo Grand Touring Ace 600 sleds (see, I even know the lingo now). Got them from DaSilva and were very pleased with them as we ended up getting a lot of gear there also. When we picked up the machines in December, the tech went over them front to back and explained everything really well. We have been out every weekend and are very pleased with our purchase. Being new, I had a lot of questions and reached out to some people here and they have been more than helpful with advice. We were not looking for speed either, just a good comfortable ride, and we got that.
bruinsfan (03-06-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
SAB1

I was newbie a few years ago and was in same boat. I bout a Yamaha Venture 2-up four stroke. The only draw back to a four stroke in my mind is the weight. They are heavy. I'm not much of a two stroke fan so I live with the weight issue. IMO, sleds all kinda feel a bit different to me in terms of riding style. Some feel high some feel low in terms of positioning. Try to see what feels better to you and if you have access to ride any go for it now before you buy.

Sleds are expensive new. You can find some very good sleds with low mileage on Craigslist.

In terms of repairs I try to find an independent guy to work on mine. They tend to be bit cheaper and I find they often can get your sled back to you quicker.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (03-06-2015), WINNOCTURN (03-06-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
bruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
It really depends on your budget, but I would say a 4 stroke touring sled from any of the manufacturers would be Caddys! Are you looking new... give us as much info as possible.
I am partial to buying a new sled... Don't want to break the bank, but am willing to pay for a sturdy and reliable sled. I am not interested in all the bells & whistles as much as I am looking for reliability and power.

My main concern is that a year from now, with more knowledge under my belt, I wish I would have done things differently.....

I have heard good things about Dasilva Motorsports, and they are near the house; I'll be paying them a visit. Just want to know which brands are most reliable and sturdy for touring.... I truly appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
VitaBene

I would start with daSilvas if you are in town. They are Skidoo. Then HK for Polaris and Yamaha I believe.

Best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
HomeWood

The debate of which one is better and more reliable will never be settled. I think it's safe to say they are all "good". It simply comes down to personal preference and what you think is the best value. When I replace my current sled or maybe just buy a second, it will be a 4 stroke. I currently have a 2 stroke Arctic Cat Sabercat 600 (avatar pic), which I would call an aggressive trail sled. It has elec start, reverse, mirrors, great on a long ride but can scream across the lake if needed.

I like the reliability and quieter noise from 4 strokes, like my utility ATV's. They are a little better on fuel, too. My SC can get thirsty. Then there is making sure to always have 2 stroke injector oil on hand. Ya, 4 stroke sleds from now on for me. Although...the 2 stroke E-tecs in Skidoo are supposed to be quite the power plant.

If you really need the which comparison, I would Google their reviews, watch Snowtrax TV and the like reruns on youtube and make your own decision.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
BraunBayGuy (04-14-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
bruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
The debate of which one is better and more reliable will never be settled. I think it's safe to say they are all "good". It simply comes down to personal preference and what you think is the best value. When I replace my current sled or maybe just buy a second, it will be a 4 stroke. I currently have a 2 stroke Arctic Cat Sabercat 600 (avatar pic), which I would call an aggressive trail sled. It has elec start, reverse, mirrors, great on a long ride but can scream across the lake if needed.

I like the reliability and quieter noise from 4 strokes, like my utility ATV's. They are a little better on fuel, too. My SC can get thirsty. Then there is making sure to always have 2 stroke injector oil on hand. Ya, 4 stroke sleds from now on for me. Although...the 2 stroke E-tecs in Skidoo are supposed to be quite the power plant.

If you really need the which comparison, I would Google their reviews, watch Snowtrax TV and the like reruns on youtube and make your own decision.
Thanks.... I appreciate everyone's input.

For those of you that trailer your sled, do you have an open or enclosed trailer? and how do you store your sled at home? Any issues?
Old 03-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #9
8gv

Ok, I admit it.

I've never bought a snowmobile. In fact, I've never been on one.

I offer my thoughts here and am willing to waive the 2 cent fee.

When learning about a new sport, especially one that requires an up front purchase that may or may not be regretted in a year, I read web forums specific to the sport.

Before you can get the answers you need to get an understanding of what the right questions are.

Some examples:

What bad reputations exist? Which are well founded and which are just rumors?
What types of use do the machines get? In other words, what missions are there?
What's my primary mission?
What maintainence issues are there for the different, brand, model and purposes of the machine?
What is the state of technology?
What are the acronyms they're using?

By reading the various threads on snowmobile forums you'll see that your question has been answered many times and not without debate.

If you haven't done so already, rent one.

Read any publications that exist.

Befriend someone who knows the sport who is willing to go look at new and used machines with you.

This practice served me well with boats, motorcycles and airplanes.

Again, I admit I know nothing about snowmobiles.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
8gv

Quote:
It's good to know you've got life figured out. I belong to this forum and like the responses from members I trust.... sorry my novice question caught your attention enough to warrant a response.
Offered only with the best of intentions, no offense intended.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (03-07-2015), VitaBene (03-08-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #11
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Offered only with the best of intentions, no offense intended.
8gv: I'm not sure what you said that offended Bruins Fan. I thought you had a very informative and friendly post.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #12
HomeWood

I basically said something similar. The "which is better" debate will always leave the OP with more questions than answers. That's why I suggested to check out reviews and watch sled shows that do side by side comparisons. Crunch the numbers and make the choice that you think is best. Here's a link. I can watch hours of this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2VeynoDuyo
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #13
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I've been riding for a long time, have ridden many a sled like everyone I have my own personal preferences so I will try to give you some objective advice here.

First NEVER EVER ride alone. If you are looking for a 2 up with the intent of going out alone, don't! I don't care how new, fancy, well kept or bulletproof, or brand they all can and do break and not always in the parking lot! There are lots of places to explore on the trails and many go out into the middle of nowhere, not a place you want to run into trouble!! When you do ride with a group of people, carry a tow rope and know at least enough about your machine to be able to pull the belt off so you can tow the machine out if need be.

That said.. on to what to buy. Engines. You can go with a 4 stroke or 2 stroke, liquid cooled or fan cooled.

4 strokes are quieter and generally more fuel efficient. The down side is they are heavy so taking them into any ungroomed snow especially if it's deep is not a good idea.

2 strokes are snappy and have the power to weight ratio advantage but you really need to use a good quality oil in them and that can get expensive. Like any 2 stroke they do smoke a bit when cold and have a little more exhaust aroma when riding.

Fan cooled engines basically use ambient air under the hood in conjunction with a fan to blow cold air across the top end of the engine. The benefit here is that you don't have the complication of a cooling system, the down side is that the effectiveness of the cooling can be a problem and in some cases can result in engine failure. Also the fan does sap power from the engine. However they are not dependant on snow conditions for cooling. Fan cooled sleds are the least expensive. Fan cooled machines are limited on engine size topping out in the 550 CC range.

Liquid cooled machines are just that, they have antifreeze/coolant to keep the engine at operating temperature. Most sleds have liquid cooled engines. They run the coolant through heat exchangers mounted in the tunnel and the snow coming off the track hits the exchanger and cools similar to a radiator. Because there is no fan, no loss of horsepower is experienced and these machines are pretty darn quick. They are also arguably more reliable and if they begin to overheat you will get an idiot light to warn you and if you are oblivious to that the engine will shut down till it cools off.

Little note on engine size. While many seem to be infatuated with having the biggest and baddest powerplant out there, a 600 liquid is to me the best option, plenty of power, not to bad on gas consumption and not stupidly fast. As it is a 600 will easily break 100MPH. Fan cooled machines don't top out that fast, my old 550 fan could get up into the mid 70 MPH range.

As for brands of what to buy. No matter who you talk to everyone has their favorites... but DON"T BE FOOLED every brand has had their fair share of problems even the brand new ones. Certain brands have had good reliable machines too just need to find out which ones (year, make and powerplant) and focus on them. The past few years have seen a very extensive change in technology both in the powerplants (can thank the EPA regs for that) and suspension/chassis. Powerplants now are all pretty much computer controlled, have EFI and are fairly complicated. Older motors with carbs are far simpler but require a little more maintenance and can be a little finicky at times.

Sled chassis and suspensions have come a long way. In the mid 2000's there was a radical change in the way sled chassis were made creating a more rider forward, higher center of gravity type of ride. This was done to improve handling although I find them to be a little more tippy than a more conventional old school design. Like anything there are compromises so the best way to judge for yourself is to ride them - not just for 5 minutes but take them for a good ride on varying terrain to see what best fits you.

Finally 2 ups versus single seaters... long tracks versus short tracks. 2 ups are nice having the option to ride two on them. The down side to them is they are bigger machines, and with two people on them the handling suffers some. 2 ups have long tracks which are nice for traction. Single seaters typically are much better handling as you have less machine to maneuver. You can get them with either short or long tracks, but the days of short tracks seem to be fading away since having a longer track gives you far more traction.

There is a lot to consider when buying a machine, the best suggestion I would give you is to talk to folks that are really into it, if possible go riding with them so you can get a feel for what it's like and gives you a demo on whatever machine they happen to have. What you don't want to do is let a sales guy make that decision for you, the best thing you can do is get well educated before talking to any sales guy!

You asked about trailers. I have a covered trailer. By far the only way to go unless you want you machines to get a nice salt bath while being towed and sit in the weather if you have no covered parking. It makes sense to me as it's very nice to essentially tow a portable garage and protect your investment at the same time. Yes it's more expense and more stuff to maintain but well worth it IMHO.

Good luck as you think about all this stuff, a lot to think about and consider but at the end of the day if you do ample research you will begin to figure out what is best for you.

If you have any specific questions post 'em!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (03-07-2015), secondcurve (03-08-2015), trfour (03-08-2015), VitaBene (03-08-2015), WINNOCTURN (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 04:42 AM   #14
SAB1

Maxum pretty much nailed it for you. The only thing I will add is on the trailer definitely an enclosed one and I would go with the hybrid style with a ramp. I have a clamshell and find them a bit frustrating. The two up is a long sled so you will be looking at a 12ft clam. Even with just a couple inches of powder on the clamshell that adds a lot of weight and you have to clear it off to raise the shell. You also have no head room in trailer to work on the sled and even with the clam up I can't fully raise my hood in the trailer. The weight of 12ft clam is tough on the assist shocks that aid in lifting it up so the shocks don't seem to last long.

If cash is no worry consider buying two singles vs a two up. You can always sell one if your wife doesn't like it. I have a two up and my wife didn't really take to it and I wish I now had a single. Like maxum said the 4stroke 2up is a big heavy machine that loves the big wide flat groomed trails in pittsburg but not as much fun on the narrow twisties around the lake. The only other comment on a 4stroke is the oil changes can be a project. You may want to have a 6 pack on hand for that!

Also clothing - you get what you pay for and it is expensive. Make sure the wife is warm and dry or you won't be riding long. I saved a lot of money by buying everything at the grass drags in October. The vendors have good prices and left overs.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

As a dabbler in motor sports, I've always had this approach when buying toys: I jot down as much info as I have about where I will MOSTLY use the machine and with whom--that usually identifies the type of machine, i.e. water sports vs. family chillax time. I then search for USED machines/trailers, etc. that have high reliability ratings and try to buy off-season. I then purchase the RIGHT accessories so my experience will not be tainted by being cold, wet, hurt, etc. If it turns out I love the sport, I'll have had time to figure out what I love and don't love about my setup and be able to sell, almost always breaking even and sometimes making money, before buying what I've figure out is what I REALLY want based on my experience.

I've done this with motorcycles, quads, sleds, boats, RC cars, musical equipment, pens, watches, etc. etc. Always someone selling good stuff because the hobby didn't work, which could be you and snowmobiling!

Good luck.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #16
Blue Thunder

Excellent post, Maxum.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #17
bruinsfan

Thanks for the replies..... great info

Sorry for the crude response, 8gv; didn't mean for it to come across that way.....my apologies.
The Following User Says Thank You to bruinsfan For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #18
jetskier

Post A few additional suggestions

This topic has been well covered in this thread, but I wanted to add a few more items for consideration:

Pull vs. Electric Start:

Some sleds are pull start and the advantage is that there is no battery to service or starter motor. Alternatively, electric start machines do not require pulling on a starter rope. My brother in law, who is a mechanic and Jet Blue pilot, likes pull starts. I prefer electric.

Studding:

There are two reasons to want a studded track. First, if you are riding on the lake, your ability to stop without studs is questionable on icy surfaces. Second, for a liquid cooled machine, the studs will throw up snow/ice on hard pack and prevent overheating.

Helmet Heater:

I would get the 12 v connection for a helmet heater. I have become a big fan after riding up in New York. A helmet heater acts like a defroster for your shield and prevents fogging and ice/snow buildup.

Just a few additional considerations.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
Accipiter290 (04-10-2015), secondcurve (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #19
8gv

Quote:
Thanks for the replies..... great info

Sorry for the crude response, 8gv; didn't mean for it to come across that way.....my apologies.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #20
dam1960

Right now is an excellent time to buy new if you can find a 2015 leftover model that fits your needs. All the manufactures are introducing (snow check) their 2016 models now.

Decide what you're looking for and start making phone calls. You won't find much on their websites, they have a tendency to post on Craigslist inventory they want to move. Work them on pricing right now for a leftover 2015. Some good deals to be had. (I know first hand, my son and I just bought new ones last week)

4 strokes as well as 2 stroke have come a long way over the last decade. Polaris, Skidoo and Yamaha are all good sleds. Really comes down to personal preference. I personally like Polaris.

Another way to save some money. Call Macks Studs (Jim) right on Long Island Rd Moultonboro for studs. Don't have the dealer install them.

And lastly not to hijack this thread. I have a couple used 500 Polaris for sale that I'll be posting on the classifieds.

Good luck in your search. Keep us posted. The last two seasons have been great around the lake. Just be prepared for those seasons where it isn't like this.
dam1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #21
NHWakesurfer

Another thing to look at for me I don't really like the big two up trail sleds so a great option on Ski-Doo (not sure about others) is a 1+1 seat. Its real easy you can ride it as a one person sled or you can pop the original seat off and slide on this 1 + 1 seat ($900+/- option) with a back, heated hand grips and now you have a 2 up.

If you live near DaSilva's that is a great choice for sales and service. That is where I get all my sleds.

I'd look at a MXZ TNT 900 if you like 4 stroke or the 600 2 stroke (800ETEC is more then you'd need) both great and the weight of the 4 stroke isn't all that much more. Also on the 900 it has some great new features for new riders ECO mode, Standard and sport.

stud the track its a big help as others have said on the ice and cooling. Make sure to get tunnel protectors. DaSilva's did mine but I've heard Mack Studs are good as well.

I know a lot of folks like the longer tracks but I went back to a shortie (120in) due to the twisty trails we have around here. I felt the longer tracks pushed a bit to much in the corners. With that said if I rode up north more or in the mountain powder I'd be on a 154 freeride or summit.

enclosed trailers are more money but they protect from the salt bath on the sleds. If you are not doing a lot of trailering and you can store them inside maybe an open is a good option.

be careful on the lakes you will learn about pressure ridges, slush, drifts, open water in places that don't freeze etc...

Also worth throwing in an emergency kit and a flash light. (turn off the lights in the woods and see how dark it is t try and fix something). Another poster mentioned a tow stap very helpful if you get stuck or break down to be towed out with it but need to learn how to take off the belt.

Also since it sounds like you live on the north end of lake join the Moultonboro snowmobile club they have guided rides almost every Saturday mornings leaving from the VK.

good luck have fun when you get your new sled
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHWakesurfer For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #22
chipj29

Default Brand debate

What brand to buy comes down to personal preference. They all make great sleds. I liken the Ski Doo/Polaris/Arctic Cat/Yamaha brand debate to the Chevy/Ford/Dodge debate. I would recommend buying a brand that you or some friends might be familiar with.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #23
jeffk

This won't help on the sled decision per se but make sure you join a club, go to some meetings, talk to members about local riding and riding gear, etc. Almost any decent sled will get you where you want to go to start. Once you have been riding for a while you will develop personal preferences for the kind of riding you want to do. The sled you have may meet those needs or you might need to trade to something that does. If you are talking to club members, they will be a pipeline to your choices and their experiences with them. The Moultonborough club also has club rides that are a great way to learn the local trails.

The sled choice is just the beginning. Getting out and about on it is when the real fun and learning takes place.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
GTO (03-09-2015), WINNOCTURN (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #24
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHWakesurfer View Post
Another thing to look at for me I don't really like the big two up trail sleds so a great option on Ski-Doo (not sure about others) is a 1+1 seat. Its real easy you can ride it as a one person sled or you can pop the original seat off and slide on this 1 + 1 seat ($900+/- option) with a back, heated hand grips and now you have a 2 up.
Not so fast, there is a reason why there is a single versus a double seater. A single's rear suspension is simply not designed to handle the load of two people regardless of whether or not you can bolt a jump seat on the back even if it is a "factory" accessory. Furthermore how well is that going to handle with all that weight squatting the rear suspension taking the load off the skis? Maybe OK to use in a pinch (I wouldn't) but if you want a two up machine my suggestion would be to buy one.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #25
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Not so fast, there is a reason why there is a single versus a double seater. A single's rear suspension is simply not designed to handle the load of two people regardless of whether or not you can bolt a jump seat on the back even if it is a "factory" accessory. Furthermore how well is that going to handle with all that weight squatting the rear suspension taking the load off the skis? Maybe OK to use in a pinch (I wouldn't) but if you want a two up machine my suggestion would be to buy one.
Agreed the 1 plus 1 are OK to have a kid on the back for a run, but not all day with 2 adults IMO
Old 03-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #26
SAB1

Hey bruins fan did you a sled yet?
Old 03-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #27
bruinsfan

Not yet.... still doing some research and absorbing whatever I can.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #28
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Hey bruins fan did you a sled yet?
What about you Sab1. Are done for the season?
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #29
ultrarider

Default Novice looking for a Sled

I have just posted for sale in the classified section A 2003 Polaris 600 Touring Classic 2-up. The wife no longer wants to ride so I'm selling it. It's been a great dependable sled, and has alot of life still in it at 3571 miles. Check it out.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #30
chasedawg

Quote:

I don't live far from you in Tuftonboro. I have a 2003 Artic Cat touring with fuel injection. This sled is like brand new. Only 230 miles on it. I will PM you.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote