Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
Steveo

Default Snowmobile novice question

I know nothing about snowmobiles, been on one once years ago. In looking at the web cams I see very few snowmobile tracks. So I was wondering how difficult is it to ride on top of deep fluffy snow. Do you get bogged down or is it just a s...load of snow in your face. I realize that once it is packed down it is ideal (especially for cooling) but if you get hit with another foot of snow Sunday will people have problems getting through it.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
I know nothing about snowmobiles, been on one once years ago. In looking at the web cams I see very few snowmobile tracks. So I was wondering how difficult is it to ride on top of deep fluffy snow. Do you get bogged down or is it just a s...load of snow in your face. I realize that once it is packed down it is ideal (especially for cooling) but if you get hit with another foot of snow Sunday will people have problems getting through it.
One of the reasons you see no trails in the cameras is that snowmobiler's know to stay away from the shoreline or islands as that is where the deep drifting snow and slush will happen.

Another reason is the trails are great so why ride the lake! The snow on the lake is all powder and really deep, nothing is packed down so it can be really hard on your machine.

Also tracks which are made one day are being covered over by wind blown snow. The snow is so powdery the wind is just blowing it everywhere filling in any old tracks. I have been going back and forth to my camp on Welch every weekend with multiple snowmobiles and my tracked Ranger. You would never know by looking at my cameras. The windblown snow just fills the tracks in in a matter of hours!

Dan
VitaBene (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
SAB1

The lake is boring to ride on, cut up from trucks and 4 wheelers and not groomed. The trails are groomed.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
GTO (02-14-2015), VitaBene (02-13-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
rsmlp

the most important thing to know about snowmobiles is to call them sleds or snowMACHINES but never snowmobiles
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
the most important thing to know about snowmobiles is to call them sleds or snowMACHINES but never snowmobiles
When I bought my Arctic Cat it was called a "snowmobile" and I see that their web site still uses the term. There is a list of dozens of NH Snowmobile Clubs and Associations and not one is called a snowMACHINE club. Also, there appears to be a New Hampshire SNOWMOBILE Association.

Perhaps the MSC should change its name along with Don correcting the title of this thread.

What is your point?
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
Island Girl

Default In the Know

I think rsmlp was having a little fun. if you are "in the know" you will use the term sled for a snowmobile. If you have a little house in NH it is a camp not a cottage. If you have one of those houses to ice fish, in NH it is a bob house.... and on and on. I think it is fine to let a self professed newbie know what the local slang is.

Happy Sledding to your camp or bobhouse!
IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

^ Agreed--this isn't the best forum to be sensitive on!
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
fatlazyless

....and yesterday, I saw maybe 30-40 different sleds go past fl-3, Horse Island...my neighbor has a large water opening surrounding their dock and it is not too unusual for sleds to skim the open water there...sometimes surprising the ducks in the water
Old 02-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Believe it or not most sleds do fine in the deep snow however... yes they can get stuck and with this much snow yes you can bury them pretty good.

The key to deep snow riding is get a good head start BEFORE you venture into the deep stuff and whatever you do don't stop! 1 or 2 feet isn't so bad but when it's deeper than that you really have to be on the throttle or you'll auger in and be stuck.

Now that being said there are a number of different configurations you can get for a sled which will make a world of difference in the deep snow. Weight and track length are two key elements. The idea is you need good floatation and ample "grip" on the snow. The lighter you are and the more track you have the better off you'll be in the deep stuff. However those light machines royally suck if you wanted to go for a long trail ride as they just don't handle very well on a groomed trail. Certain characteristics so make subtle differences all around. Like anything though there is no magic combination everything is a compromise. That's why for me I have two machines. Both are very different but depending on where I go and the type of riding I will be doing determines which one I hop on.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #10
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Call Fish and Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
....and yesterday, I saw maybe 30-40 different sleds go past fl-3, Horse Island...my neighbor has a large water opening surrounding their dock and it is not too unusual for sleds to skim the open water there...sometimes surprising the ducks in the water
Have you made Fish and Game authorities aware of this? You do know it is ILEAGLE in New Hampshire to "SKIM" over any OPEN body of water with a Snowmobile. The Penalties and Fines for this action are heavy in both Time and Money

Below are some reference to Skimming:

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/News...ned_042205.htm

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/News...ing_122004.htm
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #11
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default this isn't the best forum to be sensitive on!????

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
^ Agreed--this isn't the best forum to be sensitive on!
What are you basing this statement on?

The purpose of the Forum has always been to keep EVERY ONE informed on what is happening with Snowmobiling in the Lakes Region.

There are many knowledgeable “Snowmobilers” that are only to happy to offer their years of experience to any question asked.

There must be some good to the Snowmobiling Forum as Don likes to move it to the top of the list of Forums as each Season starts.

WINNOCTURN
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
trfour (02-16-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
What are you basing this statement on?

The purpose of the Forum has always been to keep EVERY ONE informed on what is happening with Snowmobiling in the Lakes Region.

There are many knowledgeable “Snowmobilers” that are only to happy to offer their years of experience to any question asked.

There must be some good to the Snowmobiling Forum as Don likes to move it to the top of the list of Forums as each Season starts.

WINNOCTURN
I was referring to the forum as a whole--you must miss all the threads that go...poorly. I've only been a member here for six months, but I've already seen three people openly post that they were leaving.

I was reiterating what the previous poster had said about the original response being in jest.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #13
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
I think rsmlp was having a little fun. if you are "in the know" you will use the term sled for a snowmobile. If you have a little house in NH it is a camp not a cottage. If you have one of those houses to ice fish, in NH it is a bob house.... and on and on. I think it is fine to let a self professed newbie know what the local slang is.

Happy Sledding to your camp or bobhouse!
IG
Thank you Island Girl, obviously my response was in jest. SnowMOBILES will always be referred to as such formally but INformally and on the trails not so much.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (02-17-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #14
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Contentious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I was referring to the forum as a whole--you must miss all the threads that go...poorly. I've only been a member here for six months, but I've already seen three people openly post that they were leaving.

I was reiterating what the previous poster had said about the original response being in jest.
CONTENTIOUS?

thinxingu,

Go find the old posts on Speed Limits on Winnipesaukee. There were many differing opinions on that topic.

After a while you will get to know what people mean when they post to this and other Forums.

All in all I consider this site to be very even handed and well controlled by its' WEBMASTER.

WINNOCTURN

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 02-16-2015 at 05:59 PM.