Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
thistleb

Default Alton to Gilford

I have maps for MMSC and Belknap. Not an obvious route to go from Alton Bay out to Gilford. Does it exist? Kids want to ride to Patricks for lunch!
thistleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleb View Post
I have maps for MMSC and Belknap. Not an obvious route to go from Alton Bay out to Gilford. Does it exist? Kids want to ride to Patricks for lunch!

Take the Lake! I'm not endorsing the safety of the ice, but we rode from Gilford Beach to Alton on Saturday via Winni. 16 miles. It's the fastest route.

The other route is probably 50+ miles that takes you through Alton Bay into the Gilmanton trail system, then through Belmont and finally to the Gilford/Belknap trails.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Take the Lake! I'm not endorsing the safety of the ice, but we rode from Gilford Beach to Alton on Saturday via Winni. 16 miles. It's the fastest route.

The other route is probably 50+ miles that takes you through Alton Bay into the Gilmanton trail system, then through Belmont and finally to the Gilford/Belknap trails.
Ryan;

How did you bypass the unsafe area in front of Ellacoya?? Did you veer North of Welch towards Sandy island then back South towards Rattlesnake??

Just curious as I want to get my sleds out maybe this weekend and do some lake riding but have been concerned about the open water/ unsafe area in front of Ellacoya. I know everyplace else is safe but a ride to Alton would really be nice! I would be launching from Glendale...

Thanks!!!

Dan
Old 02-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Ryan

We left from Gilford Beach and kept Welch on our right. Headed out about 1/2 mile into the Broads, then changed course to the right towards Rattlesnake.

We tried to follow existing tracks but had about a mile or more where it was just fresh snow - what could possibly go wrong????

There's one pressure ridge just prior to Rattlesnake which isn't that high and passable.

I have a video (42 mins) I shot with my helmet cam. PM me if you want to check it out.

My buddy is heading up to ride Sunday if you want to head over there with him.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
We left from Gilford Beach and kept Welch on our right. Headed out about 1/2 mile into the Broads, then changed course to the right towards Rattlesnake.

We tried to follow existing tracks but had about a mile or more where it was just fresh snow - what could possibly go wrong????

There's one pressure ridge just prior to Rattlesnake which isn't that high and passable.

I have a video (42 mins) I shot with my helmet cam. PM me if you want to check it out.

My buddy is heading up to ride Sunday if you want to head over there with him.
Thanks for the info Ryan!

It wasn't that long ago where you could not go between Sandy island and the southern shore near Ellacoya / Lake Shore Park because of the ice conditions. I did see a LOT of traffic going through that area (Near Sandy) in order to loop around the bad area like you did.

Great riding on the lake,... should even be better with the upcoming snow!!

P.M. sent for the video.

Thanks!!

Dan