Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default Tanker got nailed by a skunk...

...and man, oh man... does he STINK.

Tanker is a Welsh Cardigan Corgi - he's right at skunk level and got sprayed in the face/chest/front legs. The smell is over the top... it's permeated everything in the house...

What can you suggest that works well AND will help kill the smell in the house?

We've bathed him with dish detergent, baking soda & hydrogen peroxide, dog shampoo, etc.

HELP!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Cobalt

I heard that tomato juice will work.

Good luck.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Coolbreeze

Tomato Juice does work.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Exclamation Skunk Smells

How to Get Rid of Skunk Smells:

The following solution has worked for many people and is a favorite among home remedies:
Mix 1 quartt 3% hydrogen peroxide
(If the bleaching effect is a concern, try substituting vinegar for the peroxide.)
¼ to ½ cups baking soda
1 – 2 teaspoons dish soap

Do not to store this in a closed container since the mixture of these ingredients creates pressure and could burst!

Skunk Odor Removal

Let us know what works. Good luck Argie's Wife!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
Sunrise Point

Default 45 year old remedy...

45 years ago, I used to help the groomer at the local pet shop. Her tried and true remedy for skunk odor was to use Massengel (spelling?) douche. I am not kidding, it really worked! She used to mix it up, pour it over the dog, and rinse it off after several minutes.

Good luck.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point View Post
45 years ago, I used to help the groomer at the local pet shop. Her tried and true remedy for skunk odor was to use Massengel (spelling?) douche. I am not kidding, it really worked! She used to mix it up, pour it over the dog, and rinse it off after several minutes.

Good luck.
Believe it or not SP is right. A douche will do the trick.

BT
Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
WinnDixie

Default Tomato juice and time!

We had two miniature poodles, when we lived up there, who got let out about midnight "for the last time" and obviously came face to face with a skunk. We let them both in before we even realized it was on them and not just a smell outside. One dove under the couch and one on it...both rubbing their faces frantically. The smell up close is just about paralyzing. We were lucky enough to have a can of tomato juice and bathed them both as best we could. A "festive evening" was had by all,let me tell you. We could hardly sleep for the smell. It took LOTS of tomato juice baths over the next week and we sprayed everything we could think of on and under the couch....mostly tons of Lysol. The smell lingered somewhat for a month or more...FINALLY it went away (or we got used to it and heaven knows what any guest might have thought!!). Tomato juice did work...just took some time for it ALL to go away. You have my utmost sympathy, AW!!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Believe it or not SP is right. A douche will do the trick.

BT
I wonder if I can get Argie to go to the drug store for THAT errand....

Seriously...

The baking soda/hydrogen peroxide/dish detergent formula seemed like the best until we found out that the hydrogen peroxide on the market now is stabilized and won't "fizz" when the baking soda is added to it. It's the whole foaming action that makes it effective. So, that was a big waste of time, money, and wet dog.

We've shampooed Tanker in dog shampoo, kid shampoo, dish detergent, tar shampoo, baking soda, coffee grounds, and even that fresh-as-a-spring-daisy stuff mentioned earlier. (I had no idea you could buy it in bulk...) He's had seven baths so far... I'm amazed he has any hair left. But the stink goes on. His nose had brownish streaks around it from the blast and he's not as miserable as he was (he threw up last night, it was so bad!) but you can tell he's not happy.

We went out today to a kids' b-day party and we could have parted the Red Sea with the skunk stink on us. Clothing, towels, bags, etc. that were on another level of the house had the darned odor with it all... holy moly. It's like a WMD by Mother Nature. It's such a strong smell that I couldn't sleep last night - and the dog was on a different floor and in another room.

To add insult to injury, the incident happened in front of my car... so my car grill, etc. is also plastered with stinky stink.

We bought a bottle of fancy-schmancy dog shampoo that's supposed to work... I'll give him bath #8 tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'm getting out the clippers...
Old 10-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #9
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I wonder if I can get Argie to go to the drug store for THAT errand....
No matter which one of you goes...they'll know what you are there for and you won't be buying it for it's intended purpose.

Seriously, it works. Stop wasting your money. Take from someone who knows FIRST HAND.

BT
Old 10-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

My Brother and SIL's dog got it too. They went to the vet and got something. I will ask her what worked best. I think they tried all the things mentioned above.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
GTO

Default yup....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post

The following solution has worked for many people and is a favorite among home remedies:
(If the bleaching effect is a concern, try substituting vinegar for the peroxide.)
¼ to ½ cups baking soda

Do not to store this in a closed container since the mixture of these ingredients creates pressure and could burst!

Skunk Odor Removal

I've tried this too. Works to neutrolize the smell but everytime the dog gets wet out in the rain, the reminder of that fateful night came back. It took along time for it to finally go away
Old 11-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Having dealt with this myself...several times I might add. Douche is the best and very safe for the coat of the dog. Just might seem a bit embarrassing buying a couple bottles at once at the drug store...at least for a guy anyway...
Some items that are in the other remedies can irritate the skin of a dog or cat so do not let it soak in too long. If necessary do it twice rather than one long soak in an acidic formula like tomato juice. I mean think of where Douche is supposed to go....would you want to soak that area in tomato juice, and dish soap....really?
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Tomato juice

We used Tomato Juice on our german shepherd. Worked it into the coat and then rinsed it out, followed by a shampoo with doggie shampoo. Worked every time. (overall smart dog, but really stupid when it came to meeting that black and white "kitty").
Old 11-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've tried this too. Works to neutrolize the smell but everytime the dog gets wet out in the rain, the reminder of that fateful night came back. It took along time for it to finally go away
You aren't kidding...

It's gotten better but I'd forgotten the little sucker had rolled by the front door - it's in the wood.... and man, oh man....

Guess that's one way to keep the door-to-door salesmen away...
Old 11-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
martbri7

Default Well I guess it's my time.....

The dog is watching me as I type this. We need a support group for Sprayed pups, ours was out playing with the black and white kitty and got blasted last night, the entire house STINKS, it's true I've read this thread and felt bad but now I taste the skunk spray as I inhale to breath life. The great part is that we get to spend a beautiful Saturday day bathing and breathing Skunk Juice. The girls are doing there nails so it's a blend of nail remover and skunk juice life is good!!! Now as I finish this post I smell burning tire smell in the house boy I wish my nose was stuffy.
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #16
Argie's Wife

I feel for ya. I really do.

The smell makes a come back whenever it rains. I expect it will be this way for a while. Sorta like the gift that keeps on giving, ya know?

The best advise that worked was the Summers Eve junk. It worked best out of all the crap we tried - and our dog is long-haired, so it was really tough to work it in (and corgi's have a waterproof coat - so getting soap out of his coat was also a ton of work.) This stuff was the simplest to apply and rinse.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
martbri7

Default Day 2 ....

My Dunkin coffee has a slight skunk taste to it, but the smell is starting to fade. We found a great product at Laconia Pet Store called clean + green de-skunk coat cleaner aerosol can and it works!!!! We sprayed the dog and rubbed it in her coat and a bottle of febreeze for the living room.....But looks like Argie's wife is correct in saying "the gift that keeps on giving"...

the can is 16 ounces and was $12....much much easier than trying to get a 70pd pup in the tub
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
dog paw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post

¼ to ½ cups baking soda

Skunk Odor Removal

I can tell ya from first hand experience this mix works very well! My doberman has a love for skunks LOL! The last time the pinhead took a blast right in the face. Had me worried for a while... We keep these supplies on hand all the time now.
dog paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #19
CateP

Default Another vote for Massengil Douche

Here's another vote for Massengil Douche powder. Miracle skunk smell remover. Tomato juice just turned my white dog orange.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #20
scubajay1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Here's another vote for Massengil Douche powder. Miracle skunk smell remover. Tomato juice just turned my white dog orange.
Now your dog is safe to go into the woods during hunting season!
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote