Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
AC2717

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone had any photos flyers or anything related to what was once "The Swedish Village" over there on Lake Street in Laconia, used to be right beside the Margate. It is now called Eastern Shores, it is a condo place of which my wife, daughter and I are based for our vacationing.
We are trying to find out all the history we can on it
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
carguy

Default Swedish Village

The Sweedish Village was located on the Weirs Boulevard US 3 just past the Margate heading North toward the Weirs. In the early 1960's my family owned the Golden Gate Cottages just around the corner heading towards the Weirs from the Swedish Village.

I recall that there were numerous cottages and a main house all painted red wit white trim. The Monaco Beach Motel seperated the Swedish Village from the Margate. The cottages did a good business with the "No Vacancy" sign posted most of the Summer.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carguy For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-28-2020)
Old 01-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

CLICK HERE to SUPERSIZE this IMAGE

From a promotional brochure called "Where to in the Lakes Region of NH" dated 1950.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (05-08-2020)
Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Bobe

Default The Swedish Village

Wow, does this bring back memories! In the spring of 1938 our family came up to Lake Winnipesaukee to look for a vacation place to rent and we stayed at the Swedish Village while doing that. I'm sure we elected to stay there because both my parents came form Sweden. It is so long ago that I don't remember any of the details of our stay, but every time I pass that spot on route 3, it stirs vague memories. We ended up renting a place on Lockes Island, right across from the Glendale docks. The place is still there, boat house and all. The house has been enhanced somewhat but it all looks a lot the same, even with the little guest cottage which the owner occupied while we were there. We rented it for the month of August in 1938, skipped 1939, but came back in 1940 for August again. The owner at that time was couple named King and the Mrs was the person on site. They had a big old laker which she would take us for cruises in. One evening we came upon the "new Mount Washington" which was having engine trouble around the witches and watched while two or more large Chris Crafts from the Weirs came out and towed her home. The cruise craft "Swallow", a beautifully styled steam boat was based near there and I loved watching it cruise by, but was scared blue of it's loud steam whistle. Funny, the things you remember. I guess I've wandered away from the original item of this string, so I'll quit now.
Bobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobe For This Useful Post:
Descant (01-29-2020), Top-Water (02-02-2020)
Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
AC2717

Wow
Thank you McDude
THat is Awesome, how can I get that print out good, want to frame it
or any ideas?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Winni-Retired

Default Swedish Village memories

The swedish Village was the place that introduce me to the lake at age 10, way back in the 50's.

My parents would save all year to spend the fourth of July vacation period at the Village. It was great because my two aunts / uncles would each rent a cabin .. so the family had three cabins and my cousins and I would have a blast.

The cost I remember was 90.00 per week .. with gas and the trip to the Weirs .. my parents would spend about 150.00.... This was big bucks back in 1956.... not to mention the 5 hour drive up to NH from Rhode Island.

I dug this post card ( late 50's ) out of the " Old Family " vacation picture album
Attached Images

Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winni-Retired For This Useful Post:
Y2K (01-29-2020)
Old 01-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Winni-Retired:
Great old postcard! What is the church-type building across the street? I don't recognize it and don't think it is there today...???

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Chickie

Default Nice Photo, great memories!

What a neat little cabin colony Swedish Village was. Those distinctive red cabins were certainly an eye catcher and they were always so well maintained. At the top of the photo is the Keller's Ice Cream building, which later became the site of the old Globe Discount Store. Those who remember the Globe will agree that if you couldn't find something anywhere else, you could usually find it there and their low prices were unbeatable. The site is presently occupied by the large complex known as Paugus Bay Plaza. Time marches on and changes all it touches.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
Winni-Retired

Default Keller's Ice Cream building

You are correct it was the Keller's Ice Cream building.

I use to have a paper route as a kid growing up in Pawtucket, RI and would save money all year to reach $ 5.00 so I could ( with parental permission ) cross the blvd and get a frappe or ice cream sunday ... every day of the week we were at the village.

The balance of my money was used for " worms " and our one night trip to the Weirs.

My folks anniversary was early in July, so the adults would to go out one night a week for dinner / dancing . Dinner was most years across the street at the Windmill Resturant and the dancing at Irwins Gardens...
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
AC2717

Default Omg

Winni-Retired
The last cottage on the right of the post card is mine, and is still standing today with the Chimney, one of the few left, i just gut rehabbed myself three years ago, but in the 70's the porch area was closed in, it is now our kitchen area.

Years after this post card they added looks like 5 to 7 more cottages

Also I lived in Pawtucket for 5 years, just moved further north back in MA in Norwood. I was in Darlington near Slater Park/Seekonk line

I need a copy of this thing!!!!
I love it
Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
hockeypuck

I also stayed there with my parents in the 50's. It was a neat spot for kids with a dock,good swimming and Ice Cream across the street. Check out the golf driving range next to and behind Keller's. Good postcard.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #12
AC2717

just bumping this one again, thinking of the summer
and hoping to see if anyone else was able to find any more on this place. thanks
Alex
Old 01-29-2020, 04:14 AM   #13
ApS

Question Providence Journal...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni-Retired View Post
You are correct it was the Keller's Ice Cream building. I used to have a paper route as a kid growing up in Pawtucket, RI and would save money all year to reach $ 5.00 so I could ( with parental permission ) cross the blvd and get a frappe or ice cream sunday ... every day of the week we were at the village. The balance of my money was used for " worms " and our one night trip to the Weirs. My folk's anniversary was early in July, so the adults would to go out one night a week for dinner / dancing . Dinner was most years across the street at the Windmill Resturant and the dancing at Irwins Gardens...
I used to have a Providence Journal paper route in Warwick, RI.

From Rhode Island, quite the long drive! Massachusetts...meh...

Entering New Hampshire, the roadways were heavily shaded back then.

After three hours of flickering bright sunlight through the trees, we turned onto our dead-end Wolfeboro Neck road, entering three more miles of a dark and green "tube" of still more trees until we reached our little and quiet paradise.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #14
lakewinnie

Top-Water:

Thank you for posting that video. We stayed in one of the Swedish Village cabins the week of the Apollo 11 mission in July 1969.
lakewinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #15
pondguy

That's Happy Landing Motel to the right of Monaco owned by the Kelly's back in the day, now its vacant land owned by the Margate where they have weddings. Monaco is also owned by Margate I believe it's used for housing seasonal help.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pondguy For This Useful Post:
KPW (05-08-2020), Top-Water (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #16
FlyingScot

Great video, TW! I love seeing the horseshoe players in dress slacks, button down shirts, business hat--how my grandfather would have dressed for the lake in the 70's!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #17
AC2717

thank you all for the info, please keep it coming, still gathering information