Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2021, 11:53 PM   #1
Ricky g

Default golf cart advice

Hi folks,

Our lake house has a hill down to the lake. It's about 125 yds and about 50-60 feet elevation. We are happy to walk up and down, but carrying coolers, carrying things like tools or materials, future gas cans for the future boat, and helping our more senior guests back uphill have all been challenging and effortful. We are considering buying a golf cart. I would welcome advice about the golf cart buying process: new v. used, gas v. electric, potentially hidden problems to look for, best times to buy and reputable dealers in the area are all questions I have. Please share your knowledge and experience. Thank you.
Ricky g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:44 AM   #2
fogpixie

We've had a house in an association for 22 years. We're on one of the backlots, not a waterfront. For so many years we lugged our coolers, beach bags, etc, etc, etc, down to the lake. Oye! It really gets old! We FINALLY broke down and bought a golf cart about 7-8 years ago and WOW! It was SUCH a GAME CHANGER! Our only regret is that we waited so long! Lol! You'd have to hear from my hubby about the techy stuff, but from my standpoint, I love that our cart is somewhat "souped up"... it's battery powered, not gasoline, but ours has extra OOMPH, and it makes me feel confident that it will easily climb up the hill from the lake, and it does! We bought it used, it was 4 years old. The dealer was on the main road going into Laconia. Can't remember the name of the place but we were happy with them. A key thing to concern yourself with is the batteries. They are EXPENSIVE to replace, so avoid accepting one with heavily used or dated batteries. Good luck and you won't be sorry!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
fogpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:15 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

The golf cart store on Union Avenue in Laconia is Five Star Golf Carts.

https://fivestargolfcars.com/

My daughter is in a beach community in CT but after she and her husband shopped quite a lot they were unable to locate one. I got a gas golf cart in Laconia and trailered it down. Her husband had done a lot of research and, as mentioned above, the cost of batteries led them to want a gas one. It was just under $10,000 with 4 seats, a roof, and a fold down windshield. So far so good and Five Star was excellent to deal with.
Attached Images

TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

We have two electric carts, both EZGO, that are ~7 and ~10-years-old. Other than a weird mishap—electric strike, flooding, etc.—they last a longggg time with nothing but replacement batteries every 4-6 years. In our 7 years of owning them, we've changed batteries once at the cost of $600 and $1000 (the former were Duracell from Sam's, the latter Trojan from a dealer). We bought one cart for $2k and the second for $2500, though the prices look to be closer to $4k now.

We can only use electric where we are, so I've not used gas, but I'm not sure I'd want the extra steps of getting fuel and engine maintenance rather than just plugging in every couple days and replacing batteries each half decade or so.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:38 AM   #5
thinkxingu

A couple other notes: one cart is 36V and the other is 48v. I don't notice much of a difference between them (stock).

Club Car brags about having aluminum chassis, but I don't think I've ever heard of an issue with EZGO frames.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2021, 07:24 AM   #6
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The golf cart store on Union Avenue in Laconia is Five Star Golf Carts.

https://fivestargolfcars.com/

My daughter is in a beach community in CT but after she and her husband shopped quite a lot they were unable to locate one. I got a gas golf cart in Laconia and trailered it down. Her husband had done a lot of research and, as mentioned above, the cost of batteries led them to want a gas one. It was just under $10,000 with 4 seats, a roof, and a fold down windshield. So far so good and Five Star was excellent to deal with.
Hey Tilton. If that’s your daughter’s husband then I think you bought too large a golf cart.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 07:34 AM   #7
8gv

Gas vs electric is a bit like Ford vs Chevy.

One consideration is the path from the house to the lake.

Is the grade consistent?

Are there any areas steep enough to require a switch back?

What is the ground surface?

Is it packed well enough to prevent wheel spin or ruts?

FWIW... I have an electric EZGO from Five Star.

This year I replaced the batteries myself after seven years if service.

They cost $1,000.

Another few years may have been in them but I foolishly let the water get below the plates and was concerned that a refill and charge might not work out and we had company coming.

I plan to check and replenish the water in the new ones twice a season.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

They cost $1,000.

Another few years may have been in them but I foolishly let the water get below the plates and was concerned that a refill and charge might not work out and we had company coming.

Avoiding the hassle of gas for $150/year seems like a good deal to me, especially since the electric's going to be cheaper per mile to charge
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #9
RTTOOL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky g View Post
Hi folks,

Our lake house has a hill down to the lake. It's about 125 yds and about 50-60 feet elevation. We are happy to walk up and down, but carrying coolers, carrying things like tools or materials, future gas cans for the future boat, and helping our more senior guests back uphill have all been challenging and effortful. We are considering buying a golf cart. I would welcome advice about the golf cart buying process: new v. used, gas v. electric, potentially hidden problems to look for, best times to buy and reputable dealers in the area are all questions I have. Please share your knowledge and experience. Thank you.
Check the Laws in your State about golf cart on public ROADS...
RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
Ricky g

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Gas vs electric is a bit like Ford vs Chevy.

One consideration is the path from the house to the lake.

Is the grade consistent?

Are there any areas steep enough to require a switch back?

What is the ground surface?

Is it packed well enough to prevent wheel spin or ruts?

FWIW... I have an electric EZGO from Five Star.

They cost $1,000.

The one in Tilton’s photo is what I’m looking for, with the the flip down back seat. I’d probably want beefier tires/ suspension. Our path is gravely and a bit steeper at the top. It’s packed well but tire slippage is a consideration. It’s not a switch back but on an angle across the property instead of straight up.

The reason I question gas v electric is only because, when I’ve played golf, gas ones have seemed more powerful. If electric can get up the hill easily, that would great.
I’ve passed a house on rt. 3 in Laconia with used carts out front for$5500-6000. Seemed high. Sounds like I’m tabling a ride to five star.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:25 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Geography?

I'm curious as to where you really ate, since you think you'll have to carry gas instead of driving to a gas dock.
Would an OHRV perform better? Usually suited for more rugged terrain than a golf cart. You could use it in the winter on the ice, etc.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 01:14 AM   #12
mswlogo

We have an electric Club Car President.
We bought it used. Still had original batteries.
I think I paid like $3K or so and the batteries had like 2 years left to them
I just replaced them. And bought them at that place Laconia ($800 if I recall)
I love the electric. No smell no noise.
Whole family loves it, including the dogs.
Every time I open the garage, one of my dogs runs in and jumps into the golf cart.
Because when ever we use it, it’s usually for fun.

It’s great to carry crap in. Think of it as a massive cooler on wheels.

Here she is waiting to go have some fun.

mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:54 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I'm curious as to where you really ate, since you think you'll have to carry gas instead of driving to a gas dock.

Would an OHRV perform better? Usually suited for more rugged terrain than a golf cart. You could use it in the winter on the ice, etc.
That may not be a bad idea, especially if the OP would enjoy using it recreationally. We can't use gas vehicles at my camp, but if we could I'd be all over a side-by-side that could serve dual purpose in Jericho or on local trails.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:37 AM   #14
Liquorish

Five Star on union ave, Laconia. Always have many to choose from. Having had both gas and electric, I preferred electric. Quieter, and actually seemed quicker, no lag as with the gas version.
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #15
tbonies

Five Star also has incredible service, even for residential customers. I bought a used Yamaha 10 years ago with new batteries. The batteries were well maintained and lasted until this year. Five Star was out in 2 days to replace them.
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:48 AM   #16
chasedawg

Default ICON AC electric motor

Quote:
The one in Tilton’s photo is what I’m looking for, with the the flip down back seat. I’d probably want beefier tires/ suspension. Our path is gravely and a bit steeper at the top. It’s packed well but tire slippage is a consideration. It’s not a switch back but on an angle across the property instead of straight up.

The reason I question gas v electric is only because, when I’ve played golf, gas ones have seemed more powerful. If electric can get up the hill easily, that would great.
I’ve passed a house on rt. 3 in Laconia with used carts out front for$5500-6000. Seemed high. Sounds like I’m tabling a ride to five star.
When you go to Five star ask about electric AC motor. When you tell them about your application includes a hill they will probably recommend AC motor. The advantage of AC motor is they are stronger going up and down hills. There isn't a separate emergency brake. Once the cart is stopped the electric motor locks the cart from moving. Check out ICON web site ICONEV.com It comes standard with AC motor, 10" Wheels, Four wheel disc brakes, hi speed rear end, built in electric charging system... no need for separate charger. It carries a 2 year warranty and is street legal.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
CubRun (01-24-2022), tbonies (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #17
RTTOOL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
When you go to Five star ask about electric AC motor. When you tell them about your application includes a hill they will probably recommend AC motor. The advantage of AC motor is they are stronger going up and down hills. There isn't a separate emergency brake. Once the cart is stopped the electric motor locks the cart from moving. Check out ICON web site ICONEV.com It comes standard with AC motor, 10" Wheels, Four wheel disc brakes, hi speed rear end, built in electric charging system... no need for separate charger. It carries a 2 year warranty and is street legal.
Not in New Hampshire. New Hampshire requires vin and golf carts are not Legal to ride on public roads..
To be on a public way, LSVs must be registered, titled, insured, and inspected. If an electrical motor or batteries solely powers the vehicle, no emissions test is required. If, however, the LSV is liquid-fueled, the emissions test is required.https://golfcarts.org/new-hampshire-...Transportation
RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #18
ThePlut

I also recommend 5 star golf cars in Laconia. I believe they sell both new carts and lease carts to golf courses, then take them back after 3/4 years and refurbish them with new batteries, new bodies, new tires, etc... Pretty much anything you want.

If you talk them about your situation, distance, elevation changes, terrain, I have no doubt they will direct you to the appropriate vehicle.

We purchased a cart from them last year, all electric, 4 batteries, following all of their recommendations, and it's performed excellently.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #19
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Five star is awesome great service reasonable pricing for pick up and delivery. Luke the manager is a great guy been dealing with them Since they opened in Laconia.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #20
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

One of my neighbors bought an electric side by side ATV with a small pick up bed. It's bigger a than a golf cart and has larger tires for rougher terrain.
He has a plate on it so he can drive to town also.
Probably a little more than what you need though.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:45 AM   #21
Y2K

You may want to wait a bit before getting a cart, as they are in short supply right now and thus command a premium. The Pandemic saw many people purchasing campers and with them carts, with not much re-supply. I imagine next year prices may be lower and more available on the after-market.

Even cart rental companies (at least here in CT) are short. We usually rent 25+ every year for the fair I am a director of, but this year we can only get 10-12. The dealers sold their rental stock and have not bene able to replace....
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #22
Ricky g

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTOOL View Post
Check the Laws in your State about golf cart on public ROADS...
good thought, no public road access necessary. what I'm describing is all on our property.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #23
Ricky g

thank you all for your replies and thought questions to consider.

per RTtool- as said, all our own property.
per Descant- lake waukewan. so no gas on the lake. and, I dont know what ohrv stands for, but did consider a utility vehicle like a Gator. appealing thought, but much more expensive and I don't know how much use it would get realistically. wife was not in love with that idea.
per y2k- your absolutely right. though, everything is that way now, even the house we just bought. however, it's hard to know when and if prices will return to pre covid. which brings me to-
per all the replies about five star: we went there. we spoke to Luke. nice guy. straight forward. after discussion we decided on used 2018 electric with the AC lithium battery. he had only one left. considerably more than I was hoping to spend (i.e. sticker shock!), but I had been pricing motorized and lead cell battery electrics. the next round of 2019 used was due in this fall but got moved to spring because the place that has them can't return them because they can't replace them with new ones..... covid, and it's not clear when in spring. we'd be looking at next summer till we got one and no indication that the price would be more "normal." we are getting larger heavier trade tires. approx. $9500 v. 13,500 for new 2021.
thanks again everyone,
Rick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricky g For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-26-2021), mswlogo (08-27-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 03:24 PM   #24
thinkxingu

Quote:
thank you all for your replies and thought questions to consider.

per RTtool- as said, all our own property.

per Descant- lake waukewan. so no gas on the lake. and, I dont know what ohrv stands for, but did consider a utility vehicle like a Gator. appealing thought, but much more expensive and I don't know how much use it would get realistically. wife was not in love with that idea.

per y2k- your absolutely right. though, everything is that way now, even the house we just bought. however, it's hard to know when and if prices will return to pre covid. which brings me to-

per all the replies about five star: we went there. we spoke to Luke. nice guy. straight forward. after discussion we decided on used 2018 electric with the AC lithium battery. he had only one left. considerably more than I was hoping to spend (i.e. sticker shock!), but I had been pricing motorized and lead cell battery electrics. the next round of 2019 used was due in this fall but got moved to spring because the place that has them can't return them because they can't replace them with new ones..... covid, and it's not clear when in spring. we'd be looking at next summer till we got one and no indication that the price would be more "normal." we are getting larger heavier trade tires. approx. $9500 v. 13,500 for new 2021.

thanks again everyone,

Rick
Brand? Voltage? $9500 seems very high for an '18, but I'm interested to know if there's something cool I'm missing.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #25
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Brand? Voltage? $9500 seems very high for an '18, but I'm interested to know if there's something cool I'm missing.

Remember used golf carts like used cars are in high demand, especially those in good to excellent condition
Old 08-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #26
Ricky g

Quote:

indeed it is. 5-7 yo lead battery battery carts are selling for around $6k. like Joey said, everything is in high demand and more expensive. five star is a distributor for ez go, 56 volt. includes upgraded leather seats, lights and tire upgrade.
more than I wanted to spend but, the market is tough and I didn't want to wait 8-9 months and pay the same or more at that time.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #27
thinkxingu

Quote:
indeed it is. 5-7 yo lead battery battery carts are selling for around $6k. like Joey said, everything is in high demand and more expensive. five star is a distributor for ez go, 56 volt. includes upgraded leather seats, lights and tire upgrade.

more than I wanted to spend but, the market is tough and I didn't want to wait 8-9 months and pay the same or more at that time.
Totally get it, but wow—I didn't realize carts had gone up so much and so quickly.

Good luck with it!

Old 08-26-2021, 07:25 PM   #28
joey2665

Quote:
Totally get it, but wow—I didn't realize carts had gone up so much and so quickly.

Good luck with it!

A new 6 passenger gas ez go is about 18k

Old 08-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #29
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
A new 6 passenger gas ez go is about 18k

Yeah, but you can split that up six ways!

Old 08-26-2021, 08:08 PM   #30
joey2665

Quote:
Yeah, but you can split that up six ways!

you can try

Old 08-27-2021, 01:42 AM   #31
mswlogo

Quote:

I just looked up my Club Car Presendent and new it’s $10,500.00
And that’s a lead acid one. I’m sure lithium is more expensive.

https://golfcartresource.com/how-muc...f-cart-prices/
Old 08-27-2021, 05:26 AM   #32
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
We can only use electric where we are, so I've not used gas, but I'm not sure I'd want the extra steps of getting fuel and engine maintenance rather than just plugging in every couple days and replacing batteries each half decade or so.

Using it every weekend and a couple of full weeks it has only used the gas it started with and 2 five gallon jug fill ups. So far it is very economical. I like it but I don't have much experience with the electric ones.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:30 AM   #33
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I have a hill going to the water also but decided to go with a JD Gator and absolutely love it. Only seats two but I needed something to haul firewood, garden waste and other materials so the dump body made my life a lot easier
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #34
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I have a hill going to the water also but decided to go with a JD Gator and absolutely love it. Only seats two but I needed something to haul firewood, garden waste and other materials so the dump body made my life a lot easier
Not a problem. See video below. You can get electric dumping too.
Tons of accessories you can get for these carts.
I like the electric because if you take your foot off the throttle it stops.
We were on a hill too, no problem.
Only issue is getting stuck in sand sometimes.
Not sure if they make 4WD Golf carts.

https://youtu.be/LX4LqSo8Iy4
Old 09-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #35
Ricky g

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
the gator was something to consider (also the Polaris). our bigger need was the extra seating. my parents couldn't walk up the hill when visiting. we need some hauling capability, so the fold down rear seat was a decent compromise. the gator, with 4 seats, lights, roof and doors was around $22K. it'd be fun for a few trips on the lake in winter but otherwise way more cart than we really needed for the extra 12K.
that said, i'm envious!
Old 09-08-2021, 12:04 PM   #36
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

My Gator is very noisy. For work it's one thing, but you might like the quiet of the gc for your use.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #37
joey2665

Quote:
the gator was something to consider (also the Polaris). our bigger need was the extra seating. my parents couldn't walk up the hill when visiting. we need some hauling capability, so the fold down rear seat was a decent compromise. the gator, with 4 seats, lights, roof and doors was around $22K. it'd be fun for a few trips on the lake in winter but otherwise way more cart than we really needed for the extra 12K.
that said, i'm envious!
I am getting rid of my 6 passenger EZ Go gas cart and 2 seat CF Moto UTV in favor of a 2022 6 seat Can Am Defender with a little dump body for 22k. kills two birds with one stone.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:30 PM   #38
JayLake

Given the relatively short distance, any golf cart would really suffice. Everyone's made some good points though with regards to street legality (although I'm sure law enforcement wouldn't bother you for using it to and from the lake) If that's really a concern there are guides out there to help make golf carts street legal. I personally would recommend Golf Cart Garage only because they have a ton of resources on all the things you are looking for...buying new vs used, making golf carts street legal, gas vs electric, etc.
JayLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:39 PM   #39
baygo

Typically the biggest concern when choosing between gas and electric is whether it’s a very hilly terrain or not. In the industry widespread opinion is that gas handle hilly terrain better. On the other hand since you’re going down to the water with it and electric can serve as an awesome power supply for other accessories. You could even install an inverter and use it to run a blender to make frozen daiquiris.

New versus used comes down to money you want to spend. This is the right time of year to buy either. If you wait till spring you will pay more.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:59 PM   #40
thinkxingu

Just a note that L'il Buddy reaches golf cart driving age in May, so if any of you rich cats wanna gift us an electric cart, message me!