Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
FWF

Default Orange/brown color of water

Over the last couple of days the water has turned a slight orange/iron color around the shoreline, could it be some form of iron runoff?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #2
mishman

Default suspended particles in water

I swim pretty much every day with a mask and snorkel and noticed today for the first time there was a considerable amount of suspended particles in the first four or five feet of the water column. It was not localized. I wondered if it was phytoplankton growing as a result of the warmer water (finally exceeded 78 degrees today after staying in the 72-75 range most of June and July in our area (M'boro Neck). While visibility still very good, it has been cut down significantly from just a few days ago. Can any amateur limnologist explain what is occurring? I am not worrying but I have noticed a real change in clarity.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
FWF

Yes, I’m at the other end in Alton Bay, substantial change in color/clarity today…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:35 PM   #4
NH.Solar

Its used beer floating down from Braun Bay...
The Following User Says Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-12-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 08:54 AM   #5
Patofnaud

It's called tannins (sp?). Natural occurrence when stuff like leaves, etc,,, decay. Lots more in the water from all the overflowed streams.

I grew up swimming in brooks that looked like 'ice tea', no harm.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2021, 03:27 PM   #6
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
It's called tannins (sp?). Natural occurrence when stuff like leaves, etc,,, decay. Lots more in the water from all the overflowed streams.

I grew up swimming in brooks that looked like 'ice tea', no harm.
Except that a lot of that extra "stuff" from overflowed streams includes phosphorous which promotes cyanobacteria, milfoil and other plant growth. We need to do all we can to reduce nutrients and other contaminants flowing in
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
SAB1 (08-15-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 04:36 PM   #7
mishman

Default I am with you Flying Scott

Could not agree more with your comments. We have been lulled into believing our lake's water quality will always be pristine. Unfortunately that is not the case. We need to do more to monitor, analyze and take action to address threats to water quality. I urge all to support the Lake Winnipesaukee Association https://www.winnipesaukee.org. They are doing good work but they need to do more and that requires more members and supporters. Please consider joining if you want to see water quality protected.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (08-13-2021), SAB1 (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 08:01 PM   #8
ApS

Question Orange Pekoe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWF View Post
Over the last couple of days the water has turned a slight orange/iron color around the shoreline, could it be some form of iron runoff?
It's getting clearer, but I noticed the lake water was closer to a "tea" color.

For "opening-up" purposes in Spring, I regularly store lake water in Arizona-brand "Diet" Green Tea gallon containers. I have to catch myself NOT to put it away in the refrigerator!

If you get to Winter Harbor, cruise by Libby's Museum. These recent months of rain have washed the Museum's grass, gravel and silt into the lake. The museum's shoreline is protected from the ravages of "surfing". (Mine, not so much).

All along my shoreline's bottom is a thick coating of silt, and undoubtedly, an invisible measure of Phosphorus and Nitrogen. (There are 100 grassy acres up the hill).

Of course, all this rain has leached every trace of fertilizer from lawns—so, everyone knows what to do.
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #9
mowtorman

Default Pristine Malarkey

Don't flatter or kid yourself small amounts of ingested lake water CAN make a person ill for a very long time.
This is the worst time of year...after an August heat wave. I'm waiting on thermal imaging to happen on a busy Braun Bay day. All those grown Canada Geese chicks are loading the lake with microorganisms. Did you know the typical Olympic pool contains 20 gallons of urine? Thanks to Covid the number of beach users at Weirs is actually reasonable but that will change. I have swam in the lake for 57 years the deterioration since all the septic upgrades and no lake discharge laws is remarkable. It's like an overpopulated hot tub.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote