Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2021, 01:53 PM   #1
Winilyme

Default The Wall That Heals

I participated in a volunteer event yesterday to erect 'The Wall That Heals' in Nahant, MA. This is a scale replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, DC. It travels throughout the US to honor Vietnam veterans, their families, friends and communities. The scale model itself is imposing - 375 feet in length and 7.5 feet at it's tallest point. As we all know, it lists the names of service men and women that served - 58,318 in total.

This exhibit is now open through this coming Sunday at 2:00. It's open 24 hours, includes other informative displays and there are folks there at all times to provide direction and answer questions. The wall is also impressively illuminated during nighttime hours.

Helping to assemble this memorial was a humbling experience and I learned a lot - from other participants who lost close family members during the war to other knowledgeable observers that were equally awed by the sight of the wall.

Consider the two hour drive to Nahant - a very nice place to visit in it's own right - if you are interested in visiting this special monument. Type 'Ward Road, Nahant, MA' into your GPS and follow the signage as you cross the causeway during the final mile.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-15-2021), mswlogo (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
I participated in a volunteer event yesterday to erect 'The Wall That Heals' in Nahant, MA. This is a scale replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, DC. It travels throughout the US to honor Vietnam veterans, their families, friends and communities. The scale model itself is imposing - 375 feet in length and 7.5 feet at it's tallest point. As we all know, it lists the names of service men and women that served - 58,318 in total.
A small but significant correction -- the names on the wall are those who gave their lives in the service of their country while participating in the Vietnam War.

Thank you for assisting as a volunteer in Nahant, and for bringing attention here to the display.

https://www.nps.gov/vive/index.htm
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-15-2021), Winilyme (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 07:22 PM   #3
FlyingScot

The full monument in DC is the most powerful monument/sculpture/memorial that I've ever seen. It's a profound statement
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Electric man (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 07:26 PM   #4
Winilyme

Thanks P-3. That's what I meant to say but I didn't do it well. Appreciate your clarification.

An interesting fact I learned is that the youngest casualty of the war was Dan Bullock who successfully faked his age into service. Hard to get more patriotic than that. He died at 15 years of age. His name on the wall is dulled by the thousands of people that touch it in reference.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #5
Dad207

Location: Summer home at Echo Shores, Minge Cove; home in Baltimore MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
The full monument in DC is the most powerful monument/sculpture/memorial that I've ever seen. It's a profound statement

With you on that-- been there many times, moved every time that I see it.
Dad207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links