Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2021, 07:36 AM   #1
Donzi Minx

Smile A week at the lake

I just returned from a week's vacation at the lake. Having been a long time devotee of the West Alton location of my late Uncle's property, I can genuinely
appreciate the major differences in locations on the lake. The rental property that I stayed at on Black Point Road in Moultonborough was just a wonderful experience. So serenely quiet at the North end of the lake compared to the Smith's point area. One night at dusk bride and I observed three deer galivanting from across the street into the woods behind the property. I need to sell my North Suburban home location soon so that I can live out my final days in the area of New England that I so cherish!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
I just returned from a week's vacation at the lake. Having been a long time devotee of the West Alton location of my late Uncle's property, I can genuinely
appreciate the major differences in locations on the lake. The rental property that I stayed at on Black Point Road in Moultonborough was just a wonderful experience. So serenely quiet at the North end of the lake compared to the Smith's point area. One night at dusk bride and I observed three deer galivanting from across the street into the woods behind the property. I need to sell my North Suburban home location soon so that I can live out my final days in the area of New England that I so cherish!
You should have no problem selling in Melrose, that towns real estate is on fire.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
garysanfran

Quote:
I've been here since early April. Shortly after I arrived I had three deer come down to my beach for, what I thought was going to be a sip of water...Nope they went into the lake and swam to Stonedam Island, about 1/2 mile away. Experience of past tourist seasons and crowded summer on the mainland, must have motivated them to "summer on the island"...And I have a fox that visits every night. And a bear sometimes. I have a video of the bear but when I try to upload it, I get an "invalid file" message.

Oh...And I've caught 19 mice. All outside, but they get into my truck and eat the air filter. I've replaced two filters in two weeks at $27 each. I feed the mice to the fox. I've got videos of that also.

And a Momma duck and her (originally nine, now eight) ducklings spend most of the day in my yard. I've read they will eat all the ticks they can find, so I'm encouraging them...For now...While I await "The unintended consequences"...They always occur.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-23-2021), trfour (06-19-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 06:21 AM   #4
YOLO

Quote:
I hope you are able to find a suitable and affordable (to you) home up here. So little on the market. I was lucky to find what I did in October and seek to move here permanently like you when my kids head off to college. The rat race down south is just not my idea of quality of life.
YOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #5
bman60

Default A week at the lake

Good for you. We waited too long to buy a lake getaway. The prices are now out of our reach. Probably just rent a place for a week here n there. Even the rentals for a week are expensive. For the same money we could go to Aruba all inclusive and guarantee good weather!Hold on i just saw two more condo listings with the price doubled in three years.I missed the boat for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by bman60; 06-25-2021 at 10:15 AM.
bman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
Juiced06GTO

I love the north part of the lake. We rented in Alton this year as the place we stayed in and loved last year couldn't handle the additional family coming with us this year. I am a little bummed since we won't have the long scenic boat rides to get everywhere this year. I put over 30 hours on the boat in 7 days last summer just running all over the lake during our vacation! I love that the graveyard keeps most people out of the north side of the lake haha!
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #7
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
I love the north part of the lake. We rented in Alton this year as the place we stayed in and loved last year couldn't handle the additional family coming with us this year. I am a little bummed since we won't have the long scenic boat rides to get everywhere this year. I put over 30 hours on the boat in 7 days last summer just running all over the lake during our vacation! I love that the graveyard keeps most people out of the north side of the lake haha!
I think you have it backwards, far fewer challenges boating on the south side of the lake and you can easily cover more miles of water per day. On an average boating day we will leave Paugas Bay, hit Meredith, then down to Wolfeboro, on to Alton Bay and maybe pit stop at the West Alton sandbar on the return trip to Lakeport.

When the traffic is modest and the wind speed low, you can cover tons of miles in a day on the south side of the lake.

Now if you want to build your piloting skills, then you definitely want to boat on the north side of the lake. It will test your map and marker reading skills.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
Yup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:02 PM   #9
Juiced06GTO

You don't head north of the grave yard much do you? Its a different lake up there, not so much about the miles covered, its time exploring! A sunset cruise up through Greens Basin and Lee's Mills is tough to match anywhere else on the lake aside from maybe the quick cruise through Sally's Gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
I think you have it backwards, far fewer challenges boating on the south side of the lake and you can easily cover more miles of water per day. On an average boating day we will leave Paugas Bay, hit Meredith, then down to Wolfeboro, on to Alton Bay and maybe pit stop at the West Alton sandbar on the return trip to Lakeport.

When the traffic is modest and the wind speed low, you can cover tons of miles in a day on the south side of the lake.

Now if you want to build your piloting skills, then you definitely want to boat on the north side of the lake. It will test your map and marker reading skills.
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote