Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Alton Fort

I have read more than once about an old fort along the eastern shore in Alton. I think it may have been away from the water somewhat on the embankment.

Did this really exist? Can anyone tell me more about it? Did it ever have a wharf? Who built it?
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Diver1111

Found it w/some more research.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Diver1111

Sorry wrong post-I found the old Winnipesaukee Yacht Club location in Alton.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
bclaker

Default Could this be the location

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=217+f...ed=0CCkQ8gEwAA
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Spit'n Image Farm

Default Alton Fort

Here is what I have on the "Alton Fort". It was Fort Thunderbird. It was a boys camp located in the Black Point to the Camp Kabeyun property, Chestnut Cove area and included most of the shorefront. Bought in 1952 by Haven Langdon. The boys camp had a frontier theme, the Juniors slept in covered wagons scattered at varios campsites and the Seniors had teepees on platforms. It was short lived, opened in 1953 and closed in 1954. Hope this helps.
Spit'n Image Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
rgilfert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit'n Image Farm View Post
Here is what I have on the "Alton Fort". It was Fort Thunderbird. It was a boys camp located in the Black Point to the Camp Kabeyun property, Chestnut Cove area and included most of the shorefront. Bought in 1952 by Haven Langdon. The boys camp had a frontier theme, the Juniors slept in covered wagons scattered at varios campsites and the Seniors had teepees on platforms. It was short lived, opened in 1953 and closed in 1954. Hope this helps.
The cottage that I used to rent every summer (for 12 years) for my family was located on Black Point directly across the bay from the Littlemark Island light. The family that owned our rental property (Sean & Betsy Callahan) lived in the home next to us and Betsy's family had owned a good chunk of the shore for many years (including a very large old home slightly inland and high up over the lake). The owner's shore front has a very distinctive blue log cabin style boathouse with a sign over the entrance that reads "Fort Thunderbird". We always wondered what the significance was to this sign. Given the info about the boys camp, the "Fort Thunderbird" boathouse must have been part of the boys' camp back in the day and in thinking about it....the large home that I referred may very well be the "old fort" that you are inquiring about. In all the years that we stayed there....we never ventured up the hill to the main house because it had a locked gate (near the tennis court) and I didn't want to get caught spying.
Attached Images

rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rgilfert For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (06-20-2018)
Old 11-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
Sorry wrong post-I found the old Winnipesaukee Yacht Club location in Alton.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
RLW (11-12-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Diver1111

Thanks McDude for the article-I had found that originally-don't recall where-and researched off of that same document and found the original WYC site last week.

As to the fort, in a book I re-read recently I found the attached reference to a fort, right hand page, 3rd paragraph starting with a reference to King George's War. What an interesting dive that would be.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Re-Forts.PDF (161.9 KB, 660 views)
Old 12-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
BraunBay49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilfert View Post
The cottage that I used to rent every summer (for 12 years) for my family was located on Black Point directly across the bay from the Littlemark Island light. The family that owned our rental property (Sean & Betsy Callahan) lived in the home next to us and Betsy's family had owned a good chunk of the shore for many years (including a very large old home slightly inland and high up over the lake). The owner's shore front has a very distinctive blue log cabin style boathouse with a sign over the entrance that reads "Fort Thunderbird". We always wondered what the significance was to this sign. Given the info about the boys camp, the "Fort Thunderbird" boathouse must have been part of the boys' camp back in the day and in thinking about it....the large home that I referred may very well be the "old fort" that you are inquiring about. In all the years that we stayed there....we never ventured up the hill to the main house because it had a locked gate (near the tennis court) and I didn't want to get caught spying.
I attended Ft. Thunderbird in 1958. The boathouse looks as I remember it (although I can't vouch for the color) If you had crept up the hill, and it was still standing, you could have seen the main building that is pictured in the attached photo.
Attached Images

BraunBay49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BraunBay49 For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (12-13-2016)
Old 06-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
nealprescott

Smile Ft Thunderbird

I was an employee at the camp in 1957 & 1958. I recently went back to visit and was given a tour of the original main building. It is still there, but looks a lot smaller than I remember from the 50's. The stable, rifle range and archery range are no longer there but the boat house and beach look great.

My jobs included archery, rifle range and waterskiing training. Also got to do a lot of houseback riding early in the pre-season to calm the horses down. What a great job for a teenage!!
nealprescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote