Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
winterh

Default snow bird advice

The time has come where these old bones dread another winter. Kids are gone and just sold the primary home so have the freedom to go and do what we want. Plan is to spend April to November on the lake. Where to go for those other months? I figured this forum has plenty of folks who go seek warmer climes each winter. Any suggestions or advice? I am looking to rent (at least to start) Would like to find a nice small resort or college town. No interest in densely populated areas like Miami. Would like a pool or be right on the beach. Have 2 dogs so must be pet friendly and an area where I can hike. Open to ideas from east coast to west.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
The time has come where these old bones dread another winter. Kids are gone and just sold the primary home so have the freedom to go and do what we want. Plan is to spend April to November on the lake. Where to go for those other months? I figured this forum has plenty of folks who go seek warmer climes each winter. Any suggestions or advice? I am looking to rent (at least to start) Would like to find a nice small resort or college town. No interest in densely populated areas like Miami. Would like a pool or be right on the beach. Have 2 dogs so must be pet friendly and an area where I can hike. Open to ideas from east coast to west.
I like Southwest Florida particularly Marco Island but I also like Naples and Bonita Springs. Much more laid back than the east coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Southwest Florida is great but the current prices are out of sight and continuing to go up. In January I sold a house in Estero (Between Ft Myers and Naples) and the realtor says it is now worth $300,000 more than I sold it for. Ouch!

In November 2020 I signed to to have a new house built in Ft Myers and closed on it in May. At this time the value, and the current price of the same type of lot and home, has gone up over 50% since I purchased.

The area is great and a lot slower pace than the Miami area. But, you may wish to rent for a couple of years and wait for the crash and buy when the market is lower.

I have friends who winter in the Mobile, Alabama area and I kid them about how much better the weather is in SWFL. If you don't like 80 - 85 degrees and sunny every day then it would not be the right place for you!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
I head south the end of October to Englewood/ Venice area I am 3 miles from 4 beaches and a town park on the Gulf that allows dogs to run in the water, mine is on a leash. Prices are still very reasonable as far as homes. Lots of rentals, contact a realtor in the Englewood Beach area for rentals. Best of luck!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:41 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Landlording?

We like SWFL, Sanibel, Captiva, etc. However, if I were buying and expecting summer rents to subsidize, I'd go more north to Amelia Island (JAX) or Savannah. Last spring (2021) we rented a villa on St. Thomas. Private pool, close drive to many beaches etc. Mostly, we wanted no crowds. It was outstanding. Four hours from BOS.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-07-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2021, 04:55 AM   #6
ApS

Arrow Then, There's Insurance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
I head south the end of October to Englewood/ Venice area I am 3 miles from 4 beaches and a town park on the Gulf that allows dogs to run in the water, mine is on a leash. Prices are still very reasonable as far as homes. Lots of rentals, contact a realtor in the Englewood Beach area for rentals. Best of luck!
A second vote for Englewood rentals.

If you're outdoors a lot, you'll want to buy at a breezy location; however, check windstorm insurance. Even modest homes' premiums can run $15,000 a year!

After Hurricane Irma passed through in 2017, I found out only one of my nearest dozen neighbors carried windstorm-damage insurance!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:37 AM   #7
smith point boater

Default Vote for Bonita

My wife and I spent a month in Estero, Fl each of the last 2 winters (2020 and 2021). We rented on South Ft Myers Beach - which is actually an island. The north end is where the Spring Breakers are but we were 6 miles away on the south end so no problem with any of the partying etc (not that it was a problem). Great beach with beautiful sunsets etc. At the end of our last visit we decided we wanted to be there (southwest Fl) longer so we ended up buying a golf condo in Bonita Springs. We are 10 minutes from 2 or 3 beaches so have the opportunity to golf and beach easily. There is PLENTY to do in the area

Also we drive down (and back obviously). We have family to visit along the way and have also taken the opportunity to visit places we've never been like Savannah, Charleston, Nashville, St Augustine and others.

Good luck with whatever you do - just make sure you do it!!
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #8
MeredithMan

Default See other thread started by Mr Think

There's also another thread on this topic that Thinkxingu started a few months back that had some good ideas.

As others have mentioned, Bonita Springs in FL, (next to Naples), is nice. My in-laws were there for 20+ years. They rented different condos the first 5 or 6 years from Jan 1 - Mar 31, and then finally bought a 2 BR condo in the Highland Woods golf community, (they were both avid golfers in their day). After they bought their own place, they would then go down at the end of October through the end of April.

For years, we would go down to visit them during the kids' Feb school vacation. Over the years, the area has definitely been built up and now it just seems to be strip mall after strip mall and condo development after condo development. We were last there in 2019 and both the Mrs and I decided this is way too congested for us, as we start to contemplate the snow bird thing in the next year or two. We have two former neighbors who are both in SC, and they love it, but to me, the pix look like its just a giant swamp marsh....maybe it's nicer in person.

I do think the advice of renting different places for a season or two is a good idea, especially if you are totally unfamiliar with the area. That way, you can determine what you like and don't like, without sinking a ton of dough into the decision.

Good luck!
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #9
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Southwest Florida is great but the current prices are out of sight and continuing to go up. In January I sold a house in Estero (Between Ft Myers and Naples) and the realtor says it is now worth $300,000 more than I sold it for. Ouch!

In November 2020 I signed to to have a new house built in Ft Myers and closed on it in May. At this time the value, and the current price of the same type of lot and home, has gone up over 50% since I purchased.

The area is great and a lot slower pace than the Miami area. But, you may wish to rent for a couple of years and wait for the crash and buy when the market is lower.

I have friends who winter in the Mobile, Alabama area and I kid them about how much better the weather is in SWFL. If you don't like 80 - 85 degrees and sunny every day then it would not be the right place for you!
We are still running 35% to40 % cash buyers with most financed people putting down substantial money. There is no reason to think that there will be any crash any time soon . The conditions don’t point that way . Buy now it will only get more expensive. St Pete Beach area is a great choice with the best air port coverage
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
We are still running 35% to40 % cash buyers with most financed people putting down substantial money. There is no reason to think that there will be any crash any time soon . The conditions don’t point that way . Buy now it will only get more expensive. St Pete Beach area is a great choice with the best air port coverage
I like Fort Myers airport and my house is only 10 minutes away. Jet Blue has about 5 non-stops a day from Boston or in reverse in season. Getting to Boston is a little bit of a pain but I would rather do that than take a two segment flight out of Manchester.

I am just waiting for the day when they have non stops to Ft Myers out of Laconia!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:10 PM   #11
Mr. V

Consider buying an RV; you can travel when and to where you wish, and stay for extended periods at one spot if you wish (flexibility).

Otherwise I personally would never want to live in Florida as I hate the high humidity.

Viable options abound in the desert SW, e.g. Bullhead City or Yuma Az.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #12
Resident 2B

Answering the OP's question.

Our opinion is the west coast of Florida has a better lifestyle for retirees than the east coast. More laidback, slower pace and plenty of great activities. Sunsets are unbelievable.

We are in Bradenton, close to Anna Maria Island. AMI is wonderful, but as a barrier island, it can get flooded in a tropical event.

Look at when the home was built and how high the ground is on the home's lot. Our home there was built in 2011, so it conforms to the newest code. We added hurricane impact glass on all windows and a hurricane barrier garage door. That increased our wind assessment and saved a good amount of money on insurance, plus no need to worry about if the wind shutters are up or down when a storm is heading our way.

Good luck!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:46 PM   #13
8gv

Tierra Verde is nice.

It is close to several beaches.

The boating is great with access to Tampa Bay, the Gulf ICW and the Gulf of Mexico.

Waterfront free standing houses are pricey but there are nice ones off the water too.

There is a high and dry facility on the island to store your boat.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #14
map

Most of our neighbors go to Florida, but one goes to Arizona and another goes to St. Martin. All own homes or condos in those places.

My brother snowbirds to NY- a condo rental . His permanent residence is on Palm
Coast in Fla.

We stay here. We like winter. And no we don’t ski. Call us crazy.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #15
Mr. V

We live in Portland, Oregon, and the moderate climate is such that there is no compelling need to be a snowbird.

Sure, lots of folks get tired of the rain but we like it.

YMMV