Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2022, 04:46 AM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Whirlpool - Warranty Service Unavailable Lakes Region

Whirlpool washing machine.
Under factory warranty.

Spin issues.

Telephone Whirlpool for warranty repair. Advised that Whirlpool does not have any authorized repair contractor in the Lakes Region.

Yes, they will post a search from further away. But provided with no name of any authorized repair contractor. "Someone" - some contractor - should email me for warranty service.

Nothing yet.

Interesting perspective on warranty for such a well known brand name appliance. Here in the Lakes Region.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 05:38 AM   #2
ApS

Question Caught in a Gyre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Under factory warranty. Spin issues.

Telephone Whirlpool for warranty repair. Advised that Whirlpool does not have any authorized repair contractor in the Lakes Region. Yes, they will post a search from further away. But provided with no name of any authorized repair contractor. "Someone" - some contractor - should email me for warranty service. Nothing yet. Interesting perspective on warranty for such a well known brand name appliance. Here in the Lakes Region.
In a top-loader, it's an easy fix for a too-sensitive imbalance sensor.

Is this the office and number you'd called?

https://www.whirlpoolappliancesrepai...nty-guarantee/

Otherwise, snd them the bill or return the washer to the store for credit on a new or refurbished washing machine.

My BIL retired from a Maytag repairman position and he's kept our bought-used Maytag top-loader machine going for 24 years. (Problems all related to freezing temps).

While Whirlpool is a well-known "brand", their corporate office is in California, and offer warranty on Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiatior, GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Indesit, and Consul.

Presently, there's no glut of Lakes Region repairmen with recreational drugs becoming legalized and receiving checks to stay at home. It could be a long wait.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:23 AM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Reliable

Quote:
Under factory warranty.

Spin issues.

Telephone Whirlpool for warranty repair. Advised that Whirlpool does not have any authorized repair contractor in the Lakes Region.

Yes, they will post a search from further away. But provided with no name of any authorized repair contractor. "Someone" - some contractor - should email me for warranty service.

Nothing yet.

Interesting perspective on warranty for such a well known brand name appliance. Here in the Lakes Region.
You may want to give this place a call....

https://www.reliableapplianceservice...Whirlpool.html

This is the same repair place that Baron's in Belmont uses and they are an authorized dealer of Whirlpool products. We have used them in the past for other appliances purchased through Baron's. They were good to deal with...No issues with working in the Lakes Region...

Good Luck!

Dan
Old 10-28-2022, 08:33 AM   #4
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

That phone number asks me what my address is in Burbank California.
Old 10-28-2022, 05:24 PM   #5
John Mercier

Quote:
In a top-loader, it's an easy fix for a too-sensitive imbalance sensor.

Otherwise, snd them the bill or return the washer to the store for credit on a new or refurbished washing machine.

My BIL retired from a Maytag repairman position and he's kept our bought-used Maytag top-loader machine going for 24 years. (Problems all related to freezing temps).

While Whirlpool is a well-known "brand", their corporate office is in California, and offer warranty on Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiatior, GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Indesit, and Consul.

Presently, there's no glut of Lakes Region repairmen with recreational drugs becoming legalized and receiving checks to stay at home. It could be a long wait.
Recreational drugs are not legalized in the Lakes Region; and I don't know anyone that is being paid to stay home unless they are on Social Security.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2022, 12:17 PM   #6
TheProfessor

Quote:
Obtuse irrational contributions need to be kept in a sealed container in the medicine cabinet.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-08-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #7
TheProfessor

Quote:
Under factory warranty.

Whirlpool on phone states that someone should contact me by email within 7 days.

After that if no contact. Whirlpool will have to take "other" action.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:01 PM   #8
ApS

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Recreational drugs are not legalized in the Lakes Region; and I don't know anyone that is being paid to stay home unless they are on Social Security.
A contractor working in the Wolfeboro location of Port Wedeln advised last season of his many contacts in Massachusetts who were willing to commute to the Lakes Region. It is that cadre of subcontractors who I would call when needing repairs that I can't do myself--scaffolding/roofing work--or other work needed in a timely manner.

IDK where they'd fall under today's circumstances.
https://www.mass.gov/service-details...ties-and-towns
Old 10-29-2022, 07:35 PM   #9
John Mercier

What does any of that have to do with legalized recreational drugs or being paid to stay home?

Are any of them certified Whirlpool repair?
Old 10-30-2022, 08:45 AM   #10
phoenix

with crown appliance repair closing I close when buying new appliances from Baron's to get the 5 year warranty . At least I would have someone to call. That doesnt help you
Old 10-30-2022, 12:26 PM   #11
John Mercier

The problem isn't just finding repair people, it is finding parts.

We stopped stockpiling due to the rapid change of models, and the inefficiency of return on investment.

So an older part can be out-of-stock, and we may never be able to get another one... while new parts are having the supply chain issues.

The warranties are nice, but they don't guarantee that the product will be fixed in any meaningful haste.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:33 PM   #12
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
The problem isn't just finding repair people, it is finding parts.

We stopped stockpiling due to the rapid change of models, and the inefficiency of return on investment.

So an older part can be out-of-stock, and we may never be able to get another one... while new parts are having the supply chain issues.

The warranties are nice, but they don't guarantee that the product will be fixed in any meaningful haste.
Planned obsolescence.......
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:29 AM   #13
ApS

Thumbs up Most Failures Are Found Cheaply Among a Few Capacitors...

Quote:
What does any of that have to do with legalized recreational drugs or being paid to stay home?

Are any of them certified Whirlpool repair?
One might have a selection of capacitors and an ESR meter:

https://youtu.be/IIfsAXV4Vsc

A few bucks can fix it. It looks "Heath-kit" easy!

Be glad it's not a dryer!
Old 10-31-2022, 06:30 AM   #14
TheProfessor

Will never purchase any Whirlpool product again.
That includes:
Maytag
Kitchenaid
Jennar
Amana
Cladiator
Ropor

Also skip any German, Korean, and Chinese brands. GE appliances is now owned by the Chinese.

The good names are Speed Queen and Electrolux brands ( Frigidaire, Tappan, Kelvinator and Gibson).

I do have an original Maytag washer/dryer that is over 20 years old. In another house. And that works perfectly still. Never any problems. Never any repairs. But Whirlpool bought Maytag, closed the original Maytag facctory. And rebranded a Whirlpool and called it Maytag. Junk.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:03 AM   #15
codeman671

Quote:
Will never purchase any Whirlpool product again.
That includes:
Maytag
Kitchenaid
Jennar
Amana
Cladiator
Ropor

Also skip any German, Korean, and Chinese brands. GE appliances is now owned by the Chinese.

The good names are Speed Queen and Electrolux brands ( Frigidaire, Tappan, Kelvinator and Gibson).

I do have an original Maytag washer/dryer that is over 20 years old. In another house. And that works perfectly still. Never any problems. Never any repairs. But Whirlpool bought Maytag, closed the original Maytag facctory. And rebranded a Whirlpool and called it Maytag. Junk.
Electrolux and LG have been the worst that we have owned. Our Electrolux set was fixed countless times and still sucked. Earlier this year our LG washer grenaded and wasn't cost effective to repair. We have 3 laundry rooms in our house, 2 are new GE and one is Whirlpool. We have the same Whirlpool at the island as well. So far so good on all. I would not buy any major appliances these days without an extended warranty. You can bet on it that they will croak within the warranty period.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:29 AM   #16
John Mercier

They are croaking within the manufacturer's warranty period of one year.
Mine needed repair after one week (three cycles).
Seems the motor mount was not secured.

It took longer to get through the call center than the actual repair visit.

I think the manufacturers are just running too fast.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:57 AM   #17
Sue Doe-Nym

Default They don’t make them the way they used to

These posts remind me of the GE fridge we bought in 1964 for our first house, a white no frills model that needed defrosting, etc. This baby worked very well, never needed repairs, survived 3 moves, and was given to someone who had no fridge when we moved here full time in 1999. 35 years with no problems…..would never get that today.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (11-06-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 04:02 PM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Electrolux and LG have been the worst that we have owned. Our Electrolux set was fixed countless times and still sucked. Earlier this year our LG washer grenaded and wasn't cost effective to repair. We have 3 laundry rooms in our house, 2 are new GE and one is Whirlpool. We have the same Whirlpool at the island as well. So far so good on all. I would not buy any major appliances these days without an extended warranty. You can bet on it that they will croak within the warranty period.
I agree, I had an Electrolux refrigerator that wouldn't get cold enough. They couldn't fix it so replaced it and that one couldn't get cold enough. Finally they gave me a credit toward a different one when they couldn't fix the second one. I got a Bosch and have loved it. But I spent a whole miserable summer from May until October without a working refrigerator in my house. He came back in two weeks every time all summer long and every time I said: " Another two weeks. Why can't you come sooner?" The reply was he was too busy. It was awful.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 08:21 PM   #19
John Mercier

It isn't going to get better for some time... more people are retiring every day.
Old 11-01-2022, 05:58 AM   #20
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I had a tenant who was a salesman at Baron's move into a new apartment. He took out the brand new GE dishwasher, stored it in the basement, and installed his own Bosch dishwasher. He felt it was that much better.

With regard to the LG brand that someone above mentioned: I have two stick vacuums, a Dyson and an LG. we always go for the LG first since it seems to work better and the battery lasts longer. The LG was less expensive too.

It is great to check reviews online before buying something but the reviews seem to be slanted towards people who have had issues with a product or service and want to post a complaint. A much smaller number of happy customers seem to take the time to post a review.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 01:12 PM   #21
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I had a tenant who was a salesman at Baron's move into a new apartment. He took out the brand new GE dishwasher, stored it in the basement, and installed his own Bosch dishwasher. He felt it was that much better.

With regard to the LG brand that someone above mentioned: I have two stick vacuums, a Dyson and an LG. we always go for the LG first since it seems to work better and the battery lasts longer. The LG was less expensive too.

It is great to check reviews online before buying something but the reviews seem to be slanted towards people who have had issues with a product or service and want to post a complaint. A much smaller number of happy customers seem to take the time to post a review.
i have had Bosch dishwashers and had good luck with them too.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-14-2023)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:27 PM   #22
TheProfessor

Quote:
Under factory warranty.
Fixed today. Took over 4 weeks to get fixed under warranty.

There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) on the main circuit board.

Nothing to do with spin.

The problem was the main circuit board. Defective.
Note: Made in Mexico.

So the quandary is. A TSB is already on these circuit boards. How long will the replacement circuit board last.

Buy a Whirlpool Extended Warranty. Or take the chance and when it breaks again.
One additional year is $85.00. Going all the way to 5 additional years at $300.00.
Or.
Just go out and purchase a new Speedqueen when it breaks.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:50 AM   #23
TheProfessor

Broke again.

3rd wash after fix.

Whirlpool washing machine under warranty.

Broken again.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:24 AM   #24
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Broke again.

3rd wash after fix.

Broken again.
I'd throw that thing in the woods and pick up a Speed Queen. Certainly not the most efficient machine, but man does it run...and less than 1/2 an hour per load!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #25
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Speed Queen

Quote:
Broke again.

3rd wash after fix.

Broken again.
Get the Speed Queen….the one with no electronic boards all manual dials and knobs. Best advice we were ever given a number of years ago! You won’t regret it!

Dan
Biggd (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 10:53 AM   #26
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Get the Speed Queen….the one with no electronic boards all manual dials and knobs. Best advice we were ever given a number of years ago! You won’t regret it!

Dan
I got that advice too, that it was the only decent one to buy, but in the last year or so, he said they don't make them like they did. Of course, huh? Is anything any good any more?
Old 12-27-2022, 11:27 AM   #27
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I got that advice too, that it was the only decent one to buy, but in the last year or so, he said they don't make them like they did. Of course, huh? Is anything any good any more?
So, Speed Queen has played a sorta VW (and other corporations) game: because they were inefficient, they weren't fitting into new governmental standards. As a result, they came out with a totally new design (TR series) that increased efficiency. Sales weren't awesome, and people wanted the original back, so they brought the TC5 classic back with an efficient mode (that blows). We bought that one and, other than the two electronic start and deep fill buttons, it's totally analog.

I discovered this after, guess what, extensive research!

Here's more info: https://speedqueen.com/speed-queens-...-your-laundry/

Old 12-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #28
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
So, Speed Queen has played a sorta VW (and other corporations) game: because they were inefficient, they weren't fitting into new governmental standards. As a result, they came out with a totally new design (TR series) that increased efficiency. Sales weren't awesome, and people wanted the original back, so they brought the TC5 classic back with an efficient mode (that blows). We bought that one and, other than the two electronic start and deep fill buttons, it's totally analog.
Are you stating that this model is good or bad ?
Old 12-27-2022, 12:47 PM   #29
thinkxingu

Quote:
Are you stating that this model is good or bad ?
The one in the link is the "classic" they brought back. By putting an eco-friendly setting, they were able to get that model back in the lineup. It's essentially the machine they built their reputation on with a couple tweaks.

Here are a couple other articles for the researchers. The second one goes into how the TC5 was discontinued but then came back in '19.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/b...-queen-washer/

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...-queen-review/

Old 12-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #30
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Broke again.

3rd wash after fix.

Broken again.
I just throughout a Whirlpool washer last year that was 15 years old and bought another, top loader. So far no issues!
I won't buy a front loader and I also try to stick to the basic models with knobs instead of an electronic panel.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-27-2022)
Old 01-18-2023, 09:15 PM   #31
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Get the Speed Queen….
Yes. The next one that I purchase will be a classic Speed Queen.

BUT.

Today. I get a call from Whirlpool main office in Michigan.

Whirlpool is sending me a new washing machine.

I asked for a more basic model.
Without all of the bells and whistles that this current model has.

Whirlpool headquarters Michigan were quite happy to send me a less expensive basic model.

1-2 weeks for delivery.

I wonder if this replacement will begin another 1 year warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (01-19-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 09:41 PM   #32
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Yes. The next one that I purchase will be a classic Speed Queen.

BUT.

Today. I get a call from Whirlpool main office in Michigan.

Whirlpool is sending me a new washing machine.

I asked for a more basic model.
Without all of the bells and whistles that this current model has.

Whirlpool headquarters Michigan were quite happy to send me a less expensive basic model.

1-2 weeks for delivery.

I wonder if this replacement will begin another 1 year warranty.
Nice resolution!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:47 AM   #33
thinkxingu

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2023, 05:54 AM   #34
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Nice resolution!
I certainly did learn a lot about washing machines.

All types of agitator types. Control modules. Horsepower motors. Drive belt materials. On/off type of button materials. Brand names. Top loaders. Front loaders.

Research that I probably should have done before purchase of 1st machine.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:26 AM   #35
ApS

Arrow More Research Needed Ahead...

Via Yahoo, new requirements for appliances:

"Appliance companies would need to invest approximately $2 billion over the next three years to update product designs and manufacturing lines to comply with the new standards, the Energy Department conceded.

The department estimated that in one of the more likely of five economic scenarios, the compliance costs could cause a 15 percent to 30 percent drop in the industry's value. But it also said that revenue could grow substantially".

Increased popularity of Extended Warranty?
Old 02-11-2023, 11:23 AM   #36
John Mercier

Quote:
Via Yahoo, new requirements for appliances:

"Appliance companies would need to invest approximately $2 billion over the next three years to update product designs and manufacturing lines to comply with the new standards, the Energy Department conceded.

The department estimated that in one of the more likely of five economic scenarios, the compliance costs could cause a 15 percent to 30 percent drop in the industry's value. But it also said that revenue could grow substantially".

Increased popularity of Extended Warranty?
It's a problem everywhere. All the codes are changing a lot more than they have in the past.

Zone 6 NH is changing the exterior insulation requirements for new construction, with a State form for all the municipalities that do not have code enforcement officers.
And everyone is challenged by the Energystar 7.0 requirements later this year for windows and doors.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:41 AM   #37
TheProfessor

Quote:
It's a problem everywhere.
Water shortages are a problem in many parts of the country.

Everyone/many/some wish to continue the construction of new homes.
This in turn places more pressues on the water shortages.

I have driven over the Colorado River in Yuma, Arizona. Just a trickle if any water.

Many do not realize that much of this water is used for farming. From cows to corn. And much more.

For residential units - low use toilets and low use washing machines.

" Many customers that come in to the store want washers that fill to the top with water, like their old washer, and they find it difficult to switch over to the HE models that don’t fill up nearly as high. Here are 3 washers that have higher water level options and give you very good performance. All three are not Energy Star Models however they all require using HE detergent."
LINK

And I have never heard of HE detergent.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:15 PM   #38
John Mercier

I meant the extra investment to meet the codes.

All new housing built in Zone 6 of NH are to have continuous insulation. We never did that before. The standard prior to January 1st was R19. We could do that with 2x6 exterior walls... even go further with R21 or R23 or update to spray foam. That can no longer be done, as none of those will be continuous.
So it changes the construction standard that most have become used to.

Energystar 7.0 requires a less than or equal to .22 U-value and an equal to or greater than .17 Solar Heat Gain Coefficient. Not required by NH building code, but required if someone wants to get federal tax deductions for windows after this year. That would limit the options.

We already have extended lead times for windows that slow home building. Now we need to know long before hand what the construction style will be to create the jamb depths for the windows and doors; or the contractor will need to do more on-site work, and in the case of sills... may not be able to.

Code compliance always requires lots more investment, as items that were once just considered upgrades become the norm.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:37 AM   #39
ApS

Cool To Their Delight...

According to steinonline.com, you can buy "old school" washing machines right here in New Hampshire:

Quote:
"So would you like one?", said the Guyanese guy. "Oh. Right. Yes. For sure". We picked out a set. Old Whirlpools. Four hundred bucks for both.

And when we got them home and turned them on...it was rock 'n roll laundry time again, just like when I was on tour, just like when I was a kid. No four hour cycles. No wifi access or fake energy-saving or motherboards. No more unwashed clothes. No more overpriced, overcomplicated garbage. No more fake "progress".
Old 07-16-2023, 11:38 AM   #40
ApS

Exclamation It Could've Been a Frigidaire...

Quote:
Broke again.
3rd wash after fix.
Broken again.
You may have been lucky!

https://youtu.be/KNk3RbIneqI.