Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ...hitchhiking!

It was pretty easy. I was surprised. It's been like years and years since I last hitchhiked. Probably, the same is true for most everyone reading this. When was the last time you hitched a ride with your thumb or else picked up a hitchhiker? For many, they'd never-ever think of hitching a ride.

Anyway, yesterday being a warm and sunny day and having the time, I thought it would be a good day to reposition both of my old clunker cars from Waterville Valley to Meredith, a distance of 41 miles. In the past I had a girlfriend to help me with this chore.

At $1.25/mile, a taxi ride would cost about fifty bucks so I decided to make up a cardboard sign.....'Waterville Valley....one dolluh' and get there on the cheap.

Well, two hours and five different rides later, I got dropped off right at my car in WV by a commercial trucker. Five rides, all guys ranging in age from maybe 25 to 75, in vehicles ranging from brand new suv's and new pickups to old foreign cars and one large truck.

Who knows, maybe with gasoline approaching three dollars, there will be more hitchhikers out there. 30 and 40 years ago, hitching was much more common, and now it's almost disappeared. Probably, the person out there hitching is either on his way to pick up a car from a repair shop, or has lost his license for DUI, or like me, is not able to drive two vehicles at the same time and cannot arrainge a lift.

If I see someone hitching a ride, will I stop for them now.......no.....probably not. You never know who they is.

ps....I think it's all in the technique, you got to really stretch your entire arm and thumb out there and sort of plead with people......you know, let them know you are desperate for a ride.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote