Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2023, 07:16 PM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Stop Sign or Rolling Stop

Here in New Hampshire I read that when a motor vehicle approches a stop sign the vehicle must come to a complete stop. At the white line or at/before the stop sign.

Are the laws different in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York different? Are rolling stops the laws in these states? The car slows down but keeps rolling/moving right through a stop sign.

Are stop sign laws different in those states?
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:21 PM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Here in New Hampshire I read that when a motor vehicle approches a stop sign the vehicle must come to a complete stop. At the white line or at/before the stop sign.

Are the laws different in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York different? Are rolling stops the laws in these states? The car slows down but keeps rolling/moving right through a stop sign.

A stop sign in Mass means stop, rolling is not a stop, not sure about those other states!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:05 PM   #3
TheTimeTraveler

You can get a ticket in any State for a rolling stop (assuming you don't make a complete full stop).

Whether you stop at the stop sign or the white line may or may not be an issue, but in any event you must have a complete and full stop.

Technically, you can receive a ticket if you do a rolling stop, and likely guaranteed if you do a rolling stop beyond the stop sign or the white line. A full stop beyond the stop sign or white line may not call attention to your vehicle.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:53 PM   #4
garysanfran

Got one in California.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:08 PM   #5
8gv

10 pages easy...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2023, 04:39 AM   #6
fatlazyless

But Officer, what I did was a Boston rolling stop, you understand!

Well now .......... you are now ..... here in New Hampshire! ..... (hands driver a paper copy of either the warning or the violation) ....... and welcome to New Hampshire! ....
Old 07-26-2023, 10:37 AM   #7
ITD

Same in Mass. and cops will ticket rolling through, but I think most let it go unless it's dangerous.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:02 AM   #8
Newbiesaukee

Local rules are very important for safety.

In Miami, a Stop sign means “speed up and proceed to beat the other guy, especially if you don’t see the other guy.”

Similarly, A red light means “ slow down as you proceed through the intersection.”

We’re the “Drive Free and Die” state.

Relevant to the Lakes Region as some traffic rules are exportable.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:16 AM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Got one in California.
Wow! Must have been a long time ago. On the TV news there are no more police in San Francisco. I don't get to CA much anymore, but everybody I know from there refers to rolling as a "California Stop". That term certainly has carried to the east coast.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:28 AM   #10
MeredithMan

Default In MA, Stop means Stop, (or at least it did)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

My son got his license in MA when we lived there 7 yrs ago. On his first time taking the driving license test, they flunked him because he came to a stop either on or slightly over the white stop line before the light or stop sign. He failed the 2nd time because his parallel park wasn't completely within the parking box next to the sidewalk, (one tire was slightly over the line). The 3rd time, he passed, thank goodness. There were definitely sticklers out there, at least 7 yrs ago.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:35 AM   #11
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Local rules are very important for safety.

In Miami, a Stop sign means “speed up and proceed to beat the other guy, especially if you don’t see the other guy.”

Similarly, A red light means “ slow down as you proceed through the intersection.”

We’re the “Drive Free and Die” state.

Relevant to the Lakes Region as some traffic rules are exportable.
You forgot a yellow light - “go like hell and beat the red!”

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 12:17 PM   #12
MeredithMan

Default back in the old days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
You forgot a yellow light - “go like hell and beat the red!”

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
"Green means go; yellow means speed up; red means you have 2 seconds left..."
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 01:40 PM   #13
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
"Green means go; yellow means speed up; red means you have 2 seconds left..."

Interesting fact; When traffic lights first came out all there was on the light were yellow and green lights -- no such thing as a yellow light.

In 1923 a Police Officer had the idea that a yellow light between the red and the green might make sense, got the patent, and eventually sold it to General Electric, and hence we have the traffic lights we see today (red, yellow + green).

Interesting fact: NYC was loaded with the old fashioned traffic lights that contained only red and green. Some of these lights were still in use until the late 1960's or early 1970's and I remembered them as a youngster. It is interesting to look at movies actually filmed on site in New York City in the 1950's and 1960's and you will see many of these old red and green traffic signals still in existence back then.

Today, the red and green lights no longer exist anywhere, and every light everywhere contains a red, yellow and green.

Please obey the traffic lights and drive carefully.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:10 AM   #14
JayR

Default Stopping on the line

Being a Boston driver, many times I have had the car in front of me come to that almost-complete stop a full car length ahead of the line or sign. So, as they stop, I am actually coming to my complete stop at the proper line. We both start speeding up again at the same time (not going out of turn or cutting anyone off, just us going through.) I feel weirdly guilty as though I should stop longer or something...though, if the other guy hadn't been there, I would be doing things exactly right and lawfully.

Jay's Driving Note #1...there will be more...
Old 07-27-2023, 02:41 PM   #15
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
Being a Boston driver, many times I have had the car in front of me come to that almost-complete stop a full car length ahead of the line or sign. So, as they stop, I am actually coming to my complete stop at the proper line. We both start speeding up again at the same time (not going out of turn or cutting anyone off, just us going through.) I feel weirdly guilty as though I should stop longer or something...though, if the other guy hadn't been there, I would be doing things exactly right and lawfully.

Jay's Driving Note #1...there will be more...
I believe the law is, if you stop at a stop sign behind another vehicle, you can continue on through with the first vehicle without stopping again, If I remember correctly from my driving test 53 years ago.
Old 07-27-2023, 03:21 PM   #16
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I believe the law is, if you stop at a stop sign behind another vehicle, you can continue on through with the first vehicle without stopping again, If I remember correctly from my driving test 53 years ago.
That is incorrect. Even if you have stopped already with a vehicle in front of you, you must stop when you get to the stop line or intersection. The reason is so you can look to see the intersection is clear before you enter it.

Chapter 89 Section 9 Mass General Laws.
"Except when directed to proceed by a police officer, every driver of a vehicle approaching a stop sign or a flashing red signal indication shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection"

NH 265:31
II. Except when directed to proceed by a police officer or traffic control signal, every driver of a vehicle approaching a stop intersection indicated by a stop sign shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, in the event there is no crosswalk, shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, then at a point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering the intersection

Last edited by TiltonBB; 07-28-2023 at 08:38 AM.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-28-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 03:37 PM   #17
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
I think you're right in NH. Three in MA?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 05:57 PM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
I had a friend from Mass who got a ticket in NH for continuing on through which you can't do in NH. She argued that she could do that in Mass and got off. I should add that was a long time ago.

Last edited by tis; 07-28-2023 at 04:19 AM.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 07:18 PM   #19
TiltonBB

You cannot do it legally in either state.

Every vehicle must stop at the stop line. Stopping behind another vehicle does not satisfy the law. Stopping then doesn't count. A lot of police officers will look the other way, or let someone off with a warning, but the law is that every vehicle must stop at the stop line.
Old 07-27-2023, 10:13 PM   #20
TheTimeTraveler

Here's a strange MA traffic law currently in effect for the last 35 years or so:

If you are driving on a one way street, and you come to another one way street which runs to the left, you are allowed to take a left turn after a full stop at a red traffic signal (and looking to your right to be sure no one is approaching).
Basically, a legal left turn on red if the correct circumstances exist.

Most folks have never heard of it and there are very few intersections where this would actually ever be applicable.
Old 07-28-2023, 04:20 AM   #21
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

Every vehicle must stop at the stop line. Stopping behind another vehicle does not satisfy the law. Stopping then doesn't count. A lot of police officers will look the other way, or let someone off with a warning, but the law is that every vehicle must stop at the stop line.
Mass. must have changed the law at some point then.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:20 AM   #22
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

The only time I ever really "stop" at a stop sign is when I'm in more densely populated areas. Most of the time, I roll through.

It is not legal, though, as I was told once by a police officer who pulled me over at a notorious rolling stop sign in town.

We no longer really live in a land with laws, though, but moreso guidelines. Ain't nobody driving 55/65 on the highway anymore!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 07:46 AM   #23
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

It was over 50 years ago when I got my license, that was the law then, not sure about now.
Old 07-28-2023, 08:29 AM   #24
camp guy

Default Stop Sign or Rolling Stop

It seems to me that the answer to this question is blatantly obvious within the question - STOP means stop, not moving, period.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 09:40 AM   #25
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Stop

Simple answer: STOP = Spin Tires On Pavement.

Dave
TheTimeTraveler (07-28-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 09:01 AM   #26
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Rolling stop vs Stop

I got pulled over either by New Durham or Alton police once heading west on Rte 11. There was an emergency vehicle with flashing lights and siren heading east. (Ambulance). I pulled over and slowly drove on the shoulder. Shortly I was pulled over and warned that there should be a complete stop when an emergency vehicle passed. First I heard of this on decades of driving.
Old 07-29-2023, 09:07 AM   #27
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I got pulled over either by New Durham or Alton police once heading west on Rte 11. There was an emergency vehicle with flashing lights and siren heading east. (Ambulance). I pulled over and slowly drove on the shoulder. Shortly I was pulled over and warned that there should be a complete stop when an emergency vehicle passed. First I heard of this on decades of driving.
It has always been the law.

New Hampshire 265:33 Driving of Vehicles on Approach of Authorized Emergency Vehicles. – Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle making use of audible or visual signals or of a police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible or visual signal, the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right of way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.
Old 08-03-2023, 04:47 AM   #28
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
That was one of the questions got wrong on written test many decades ago.
The key word is STOP.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote