Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2023, 01:05 PM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Reasonable boat insurance?

We are thinking of shopping around for new boat insurance as our new annual premium for our boat and 2 older jetskis is just over $1000, which seems exorbitant to us. The boat is a Cobalt 240 with a value of $35,000. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable insurance carrier? Maybe we are being unrealistic. TIA for any constructive comments.

Sue
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 01:15 PM   #2
wentworthwhitbreadIII

Check with Melcher & Prescott. I insure my $35k Formula with them through Chubb. Be very careful and make sure whoever you go with has a replacement cost contract and not actual cash value. Your homeowners insurer may also be an option to bundle coverage. My neighbor is with M&P and bundles it all with Central Insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
wentworthwhitbreadIII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wentworthwhitbreadIII For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 01:41 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

I'm not sure who you have, but we have everything with State Farm: two cars, a boat, and a $1M umbrella is $1700/yr. With two jetskis (which we just sold/removed), it was $2150/yr.

I'm not sure if that's an awesome price, but our State Farm agent is AWESOME and makes shopping around a non-consideration.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 01:45 PM   #4
tummyman

Try Progressive...my insurance is really inexpensive.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 02:14 PM   #5
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Try Progressive...my insurance is really inexpensive.
I have them for my fleet as well.

They are reasonable with the premiums but I have yet to have a claim so I do not know how well they pay out.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (07-25-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2023, 02:15 PM   #6
Mr. V

AARP partners with The Hartford insurance co. and when we enrolled in AARP I checked their rates; I was happily surprised and switched our home and auto policies forthwith. No idea about their rates on boats though.
Old 07-25-2023, 04:58 PM   #7
garysanfran

I have good reasons to not recommend Geico, to insure anything.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 05:00 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

I have Geico and Boat US for boats. The premiums seem fair and towing is included.

It was posted above that the the agent was awesome. I have the same situation. All my insurance, except watercraft, has been through the same agent for 30 years. He is a nice guy.

But, I think as the years go by the agents tend to increase the premiums where they can. I have not looked, but I should, to see what others offer for the same property and umbrella coverage. I also believe that when you look and get prices, you will get a low quote to earn your business but in the following years the premiums will creep up.

It is nice if the agent is a friend. but if you already have plenty of friends but not more money than you could ever spend, it might be something to look at.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 06:00 PM   #9
The Real BigGuy

I think when Geico took over underwriting BoatUS insurance they transitioned the BoatUS replacement value policies to actual cost

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (07-26-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 06:43 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

What I would love is to have ALL your insurance under one policy like a business. It would be so nice.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:04 PM   #11
Sue Doe-Nym

Thanks for all the constructive suggestions. I will do research on some of these companies , comparing their coverage, and will report my findings. Allstate has our homeowners and auto insurance, so maybe they do watercraft as well. Again,
thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
winterharbor59 (07-27-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 08:26 AM   #12
Woodsy

I have all of my insurance bundles with Allstate... def not the best pricing, especially when it comes to my F-150. But the boat insurance is very reasonable.

Woodsy
Old 07-26-2023, 08:38 AM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
We are thinking of shopping around for new boat insurance as our new annual premium for our boat and 2 older jetskis is just over $1000, which seems exorbitant to us. The boat is a Cobalt 240 with a value of $35,000. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable insurance carrier? Maybe we are being unrealistic. TIA for any constructive comments.

Sue
Progressive for me...great rates but more important...they were there when I needed them! Great to work with!

Dan
Sue Doe-Nym (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 11:09 AM   #14
TheProfessor

Quote:
Thanks for all the constructive suggestions.
My insurance went up. Got all of the suggestions above.

Went in gave my name to one of those above that I never had insurace from. And the insurance person immediatley brought up on her computer the company and coverage that I already have.

She searched 4 companies. The best that she could offer for SAME coverage was a savings of $8.00.

The ones that advertise on TV are all bunk.

Now I am going to call that Social Security telephone number that advertises on TV.
Going to get a rebate from my Social Security monthly charge.
Get free dental.
Get free hearing.
Get free eye care.
Get free dental.
Get free free education.
Get free tax preparation.
Get free phone and free internet.
Get free food.
And get $189.00 off my Social Security premium.

As a footnote: I am in love with Stephanie Courtney. Net worth of about $9 million dollars.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 12:26 PM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:

Sue
Talk with your current insurance agent and see what the driving force behind you $1000 dollar policy cost. I have seen issues where insurance companies create false assumptions... i.e believe a boat is capable of more speed then it is based on engine size.... etc. You may also find, that your insurance company still has you boat valued at more then 35,000$....

With that said when I needed to get a boat policy I was put in touch with Antonucci Insurance Services out of Wolfeboro, they have been great to work with..... I believe my policy is current through pregressive, and is very reasonable, of course I have sized down to a single boat, that isn't even capable of 25 MPH..... but with that said I pay less then 200$ for very good coverage.....
Old 07-26-2023, 12:54 PM   #16
Woody38

Default bad company

We had Geico for homeowners back in the 70's. I do not remember the reason; however, we left them and went with AMICA. This company has been great. They wrote us a commercial policy on property we built on Cape Cod when they did not write commercial insurance. We still have homeowners, auto and umbrella with AMICA. Unfortunately, they do not write insurance for classic or antique boats.
Thus Geico through Boat/US. Every year they lower the insurance without a corresponding decrease in premium. Seriously will be looking for other coverage. Maybe, the company that insures our house in California.
Stay away from GEICO in my opinion.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:14 PM   #17
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
we left them and went with AMICA.
Lucky to get Amica.

They did not do for me as my first house was 2 family.
Credit excellent. Zero previous claims. Nice low crime town. Nice neighborhood.

Tried Amica for auto insurance. Years later. Cost/price was way higher than Concord Group for same coverage.

If one can get Amica and bundle all might be a better deal.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:29 AM   #18
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Boat insurance update

Progressive is going to insure our boat and 2 jetskis for approximately half what we have been paying with Markel. Thank you to those of you who chimed in with suggestions….very helpful!
Old 08-22-2023, 09:49 AM   #19
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Progressive is going to insure our boat and 2 jetskis for approximately half what we have been paying with Markel. Thank you to those of you who chimed in with suggestions….very helpful!
Sweet! That's great.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 04:07 PM   #20
Sue Doe-Nym

Default P.S. on the Progressive

We decided to go through Antonucci in Wolfeboro. They have been recommended by several people we know, and they have been very helpful and professional, and that’s a challenge these days.
Old 08-23-2023, 04:47 PM   #21
ApS

Arrow Progressive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Talk with your current insurance agent and see what the driving force behind you $1000 dollar policy cost. I have seen issues where insurance companies create false assumptions... i.e believe a boat is capable of more speed then it is based on engine size.... etc. You may also find, that your insurance company still has you boat valued at more then 35,000$....

With that said when I needed to get a boat policy I was put in touch with Antonucci Insurance Services out of Wolfeboro, they have been great to work with..... I believe my policy is current through Progressive, and is very reasonable, of course I have sized down to a single boat, that isn't even capable of 25 MPH..... but with that said I pay less then 200$ for very good coverage.....
I found this while researching Progressive:

Low rates for high-risk drivers:
Quote:

Based on our in-depth industry research, we found that Progressive offers some of the lowest premium costs on average for high-risk drivers, which includes those with a recent driving under the influence (DUI) conviction, speeding ticket or accident on their record.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 05:17 PM   #22
camp guy

Default Reasonable boat insurance

My experience with insurance, for boats in particular, is to have a comfortable relationship with the Agent representing the carrier, and to ask a lot of "what if..." questions before deciding which Company and what specific policy to purchase. During my life I have stayed away from "1-800..." companies, preferring to use a local Agency and local agent. My biggest hope is that "you" never need to use your insurance, but if you do, having a local agent makes life a lot easier when it comes to filing a claim.
Sometimes when an insurance deal looks too good to pass up, that is exactly when it is time to pass it up.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote