Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Tiller Work

I'm in need of a small tilling job in Gilford.

This is not a big job, I'm just looking to create a new garden in a different spot in the yard.

In the past I've rented a tiller, but by the time I figure in the cost of renting, and the hassle of picking up and returning the rental, it might be about the same cost for someone that actually knows how to use a tiller to "get er done".

Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited by SteveA; 05-07-2010 at 08:46 AM.
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
I'm in need of a small tilling job in Gilford.

This is not a big job, I'm just looking to create a new garden in a different spot in the yard.

In the past I've rented a tiller, but by the time I figure in the cost of renting, and the hassle of picking up and returning the rental, it might be about the same cost for someone that actually knows how to use a tiller to "get er done".

Thanks in advance for any information.
That's funny. I was just logging on to ask the same question! If you don't mind my piggybacking, I'd like to mention that I need the same service in Meredith. Already existing garden about 17' by 30' in size.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
That's funny. I was just logging on to ask the same question! If you don't mind my piggybacking, I'd like to mention that I need the same service in Meredith. Already existing garden about 17' by 30' in size.
No Problem, sadly I've had no response. I may just go rent a tiller next weekend. Good Luck!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Default My tiller story

Well Steve, I did rent a tiller from HD yesterday to finally tackle a bunch of flower beds that have been untouched and overgrown for 7 years. Uuhhg! With so much neglect on my part there was a lot of roots running everywhere. I spent maybe 1-2 minutes tilling and about 7 minutes cutting off the roots that had wrapped around the blades. I did manage to make a dent in the overgrowth but my expectations were lowered on the volume of work I expected to get done. I think in my case I would be better off with even a much smaller tiller like a Mantis. Next weekend!

BTW $34 for 4 hours for their smallest "full-size" tiller.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
ACutAbove

If you have a split boom weedwacker like the cheap kind they sell at home depot the homelite brand and a few others I believe. They used to sell a small rotortiller attachment for. I think it was like $50 or $75 when I bought mine. Works really well for small areas.
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACutAbove For This Useful Post:
SteveA (05-10-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

I do actually have a weedwacker that you can purchase attachments for. A tiller is one of them along with a power sweeper, edger and so on. The one that made me laugh is the snow thrower attachment. I'm sure that one works just great.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I do actually have a weedwacker that you can purchase attachments for. A tiller is one of them along with a power sweeper, edger and so on. The one that made me laugh is the snow thrower attachment. I'm sure that one works just great.:laugh:
Don't they work great for clearing off roofs.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
olde nh

i have a little mantis tiller that would probably handle that. give me a ring 677-2428
olde nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
... I think in my case I would be better off with even a much smaller tiller like a Mantis. ...
I have a Mantis. It is a fantastic beast, you can't kill it. In real overgrown area it is more like 10 minutes tilling and 1 minute to pull the pin in each side, remove the blades, dump the junk the blades pick up.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

That makes so much sense.I was looking for quick release pins on my rental.I think they were missing cuz there were bolts that didn't look like they factory installed.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #11
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACutAbove View Post
If you have a split boom weedwacker like the cheap kind they sell at home depot the homelite brand and a few others I believe. They used to sell a small rotortiller attachment for. I think it was like $50 or $75 when I bought mine. Works really well for small areas.
I just bought one of those at HD for my weedwacker. It was $89, and it does work really well. I am going to use it primarily for fixing parts of the lawn that need help. I am not sure it has the guts to do real garden work.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #12
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by olde nh View Post

i have a little mantis tiller that would probably handle that. give me a ring 677-2428
I appreciate the offer. I decided to attack it by hand this year and get down real deep with the pitch fork. I'm amazed at some of the roots I'm pulling out of there...one must have been 20 to 30 feet long. Back breaking work but it was needed. After this year's work I'll feel more comfortable about running a tiller through it...especially if the tiller isn't mine.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
ACutAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I just bought one of those at HD for my weedwacker. It was $89, and it does work really well. I am going to use it primarily for fixing parts of the lawn that need help. I am not sure it has the guts to do real garden work.
I used mine to do a 2000 sq ft section at one of my old houses. I was suprised at how good it did...these days I use my skid steer with my grapple attachment to rip things up....
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote