Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2022, 11:00 AM   #1
BrownstoneNorth

Default Help: Swim lessons for young child

Our 4 ˝ year old granddaughter will be visiting us the first two weeks in July and we're hoping to find someone experienced & personable to teach her how to swim. We were very lucky to find a terrific young nursing student who made a start at our condo beach on Lake Wentworth last summer — fewer lessons than planned due to weather — but will be doing nurse stuff in Boston this summer.

I'd be very grateful for recommendations with contact info either by reply here or private message. Our granddaughter has been so looking forward to continuing swim lessons and we really hate to disappoint her!
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:30 PM   #2
Susie Cougar

Sandwich Aquatic School had a stellar reputation and were in business for over 50 years. They are closed now, but I found one name, Katie George, who used to teach there. She may be able to help you, or know someone else who could.

She is on LinkedIn. She states that she is a swim instructor now.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
BrownstoneNorth (06-13-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
BrownstoneNorth

Thank you. I found her on Linked In but have no way to reach her because I'm not a member and her public entry has no contact info. I also Googled her in hopes an Instagram or Twitter would pop up because I'm on those, but no such luck.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:07 PM   #4
Smith Point

My suggestion is to do-it-yourself. What I did with my kids was to get them to jump in the water with the life jacket on, Let them swim around, Take away the life jacket and give him a noodle, Take away the noodle, Stay in the water with them, Give them credit they will get it.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:17 AM   #5
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNorth View Post
Thank you. I found her on Linked In but have no way to reach her because I'm not a member and her public entry has no contact info. I also Googled her in hopes an Instagram or Twitter would pop up because I'm on those, but no such luck.
I googled, and googled, and googled some more.
I think I found her. I believe she is living with her parents. This is a landline.

Katie George
603–524–3908.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
BrownstoneNorth (06-13-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2022, 10:14 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Question .... NO swim instruction at Mid-State Health pool, Plymouth?

Located in Plymouth, close to Walmart, up top the hill, on the left, the swimming instructions for young children have yet to re-open at the Mid-State Health pool.

From the Mid-State web site: "Until further notice, all group aqua classes and children's swim lessons have been suspended following the CDC guidelines to limit exposure of COVID-19."

http://www.midstatehealth.org/servic...s-and-fitness/ .... you know, me-thinks that is swim instructor, LIZ, in the two-tone, lite blue-dark blue swim suit in this watery, pool photograph! Mid-State should return LIZ back to their pool.

From 2014 to the pandemic closing for swim instruction in March, 2020, they had a terrific swim instructor named LIZ.

So, where is LIZ and when will MID-STATE reopen for swim lessons and aquatic exercise classes and will MID-STATE be rehiring swim instructor, LIZ? .....

LIZ always has a strong loud voice, and about five tons of positive energy! ....
Old 06-13-2022, 12:13 PM   #7
BrownstoneNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I googled, and googled, and googled some more.
I think I found her. I believe she is living with her parents. This is a landline.

Katie George
603–524–3908.
Thanks so much for going above and beyond! Unfortunately, that phone number has been disconnected. Following your lead, I pursued for both Katie & Heather at the apparent Meredith address on some of those miserable ‘find people” websites and found a few more numbers, left a voicemail on one but don't have much hope for it.

I suspect she's not looking for swim students because if she were she'd make herself more visible.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:07 PM   #8
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNorth View Post
Thanks so much for going above and beyond! Unfortunately, that phone number has been disconnected. Following your lead, I pursued for both Katie & Heather at the apparent Meredith address on some of those miserable ‘find people” websites and found a few more numbers, left a voicemail on one but don't have much hope for it.

I suspect she's not looking for swim students because if she were she'd make herself more visible.
I wouldn't per say jump to that conclusion so quickly to be honest - that's what LinkedIn is for (and many use Facebook for that). LinkedIn is supposed to be for 'professional networking', vs FB being where most people have a business website and do more advertising like what you're describing. She might have a full time job and do swim lessons on the side as a side hobby and extra money, so not investing time, money and effort into establishing a business.

Might be worth it to create a quick account on Linkedin and DM (Direct Message) her explaining your story and if she's interested, I'm sure she'll return your message.
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:38 PM   #9
SAB1

Not an expert here but I believe there are swimming lessons given at the 19 mile bay town beach Tuftonboro. Maybe try the town offices for info.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
BrownstoneNorth (06-15-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 11:28 PM   #10
Winilyme

Hello Brownstone. My wife teaches private swim lessons each summer out of the Meredith area. Wentworth might be a challenge given the distance however. That aside, she’s great, has all the proper certifications in place and has been teaching for ten years or more. She teaches all ages but mostly young children. I’m sure she would be happy to discuss with you. PM me your contact info if you’d like me to connect the two of you.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
BrownstoneNorth (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 08:03 AM   #11
BrownstoneNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
Hello Brownstone. My wife teaches private swim lessons each summer out of the Meredith area. Wentworth might be a challenge given the distance however. That aside, she’s great, has all the proper certifications in place and has been teaching for ten years or more. She teaches all ages but mostly young children. I’m sure she would be happy to discuss with you. PM me your contact info if you’d like me to connect the two of you.
Just sent you a PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:11 AM   #12
BrownstoneNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Not an expert here but I believe there are swimming lessons given at the 19 mile bay town beach Tuftonboro. Maybe try the town offices for info.
Thanks. Already tried Wolfeboro & Tuftonboro town offices; Wolfeboro's lessons filled up long ago and the Recs & Parks person didn't know of anyone offering private lessons, left message at Tuftonboro, waiting to hear back.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:28 AM   #13
BrownstoneNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTimes View Post
I wouldn't per say jump to that conclusion so quickly to be honest - that's what LinkedIn is for (and many use Facebook for that). LinkedIn is supposed to be for 'professional networking', vs FB being where most people have a business website and do more advertising like what you're describing. She might have a full time job and do swim lessons on the side as a side hobby and extra money, so not investing time, money and effort into establishing a business.

Might be worth it to create a quick account on Linkedin and DM (Direct Message) her explaining your story and if she's interested, I'm sure she'll return your message.
What I meant by “more visible” was *posting* on the Lakes Region Facebook pages, which is free, not setting up Facebook business page, which I gather costs something, takes more time, and wouldn't get nearly as many views. Most of the LR towns have Facebook pages and that's how many people, especially students, let area folks know they have seasonal or part-time availability for services. The young women who provided us lessons last year got tons of replies from their posts.