Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2022, 07:27 PM   #1
Cshipley

Default Propane usage

I’ve been researching and educating myself on propane as a heating source. I’m starting to narrow down a few details and I have a very general question. How many gallons will I burn during the year? I understand this is a broad question but one I must ask even at the risk of being heckled. A few bullet points to consider:

2200 Sq ft., 2-story new construction home
Propane would be the primary source and also gas stove
Thermostat would be set around 66-67

Again, I understand this is a broad question. I’m just looking for ballpark usage for winter months. Thanks
Cshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:45 PM   #2
winni83

For a broad answer to a broad question, here’s some info. New construction in 2013. 2,600 sf of living space. Hybrid insulation, foam and fiberglass. Propane used for heat, dryer, stovetop and oven, Rinnai on porch, fireplace and generator. Useage over the past few years has been about 1,200 gallons.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 03:58 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
For a broad answer to a broad question, here’s some info. New construction in 2013. 2,600 sf of living space. Hybrid insulation, foam and fiberglass. Propane used for heat, dryer, stovetop and oven, Rinnai on porch, fireplace and generator. Useage over the past few years has been about 1,200 gallons.
Just for comparison's sake, what do you keep your heat set at throughout the winter and do you use the Rinnai and fireplace consistently or as supplemental heat/decoration? Also, what's your average electricity bill?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:49 AM   #4
Cshipley

Quote:
That’s exactly what I’m looking for, thanks much!!!
Cshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:57 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
For a broad answer to a broad question, here’s some info. New construction in 2013. 2,600 sf of living space. Hybrid insulation, foam, and fiberglass. Propane used for heat, dryer, stovetop, and oven, Rinnai on porch, fireplace, and generator. Use over the past few years has been about 1,200 gallons.
That sounds about right. A friend of mine has an airtight 3000 SF home (Bensonwood built). Closed foam insulation, airtight with heat exchanger home with condensing boiler/on-demand hot water. He also has a gas stove/oven, fireplace, and outside grill. In the winter the wind whip through the bay up to his home, but not a big issue. The home is heated up to 67 degrees in the winter. The house is so efficient, that the radiant heat on the basement floor was sufficient enough to keep the whole house warm. Even on the coldest night, there is only a few degrees difference on the second floor!
Built in 2014, the average use was about 1250 gallons a year!
Cshipley (04-25-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2022, 07:08 AM   #6
winni83

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Just for comparison's sake, what do you keep your heat set at throughout the winter and do you use the Rinnai and fireplace consistently or as supplemental heat/decoration? Also, what's your average electricity bill?
Rinnai is on during entire heating season, set at 68 during the day and 60 after 10 PM or so. Gas fireplace is used for perhaps an average of 3 hours per day mostly for ambiance, but not as a supplemental heating source, although it does throw out a lot of heat even with the fan off. House is kept at around 68 during the day and 63 or so after 10 PM. Occupancy is year round. Except to the extent that the various devices using propane require electricity to operate, no electricity is used for heating purposes.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (04-25-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 09:29 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Condensing boilers.

Are most efficient in running continuously. They are designed to change the heat output to the radiant heat elements by monitoring the room temperature setting to the current outside temperature. Thus maintaining a constant inside temperature. No temperature swing!