Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2022, 07:33 AM   #1
Baseball Fam

Default Consignment Sale Recommendations

Hello. I'm looking to sell my PWC but don't want the hassle of doing so myself as we're part-timers at the Lake and coordinating with & showing it to prospective buyers would be more hassle than its worth to me (we live 3 hours away). Anyone have any experience (good or bad) in having their PWC or boat sold on consignment before? Any recommendations on who to use in the area?
Baseball Fam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:08 AM   #2
fatlazyless

There are NO consignment boat sellers in the lakes region. Some marinas .... www.winnisquammarine.com/we-buy-boats/ .... will make a cash offer for your boat. They make much more profit this way and do not have the extra hassle involved with doing a consignment sale.

For selling a used boat that was not a trade-in, it's more money and a lot less hassle for a marina to buy it for cash as opposed to consignment. They say "We will pay cash for your used boat" but they do not say they will pay "BIG cash" for your boat.

To get the MOST money for your used boat you need to sell it yourself, make it look really nice, and do a test drive on the water for the buyer. .....
Old 03-30-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
AC2717

that is not true, most marina's will sell on consignment for you, it just depends on if you and the dealer can come to an agreement. I have sold boats on consignment with local dealers before, as well as looked at boats that were on consignment at the local marinas
Old 03-30-2022, 09:01 AM   #4
garysanfran

Call Shep Browns (Goodhue) and ask the sales dept. for their advice. If they won't do it, and they may, they'll know who can. 603-279-4573...
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:28 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fam View Post
Hello. I'm looking to sell my PWC but don't want the hassle of doing so myself as we're part-timers at the Lake and coordinating with & showing it to prospective buyers would be more hassle than its worth to me (we live 3 hours away). Anyone have any experience (good or bad) in having their PWC or boat sold on consignment before? Any recommendations on who to use in the area?
Post details here or message me. I may be able to help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2022, 09:32 AM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I'd list it with a dealer of the same brand. I've bought and sold boats through brokers with no problems. Since NH is not a title state and there is no sales tax it's an easy transaction. Be aware that the marina wants to sell stuff they own first, and they may want to charge storage if it doesn't sell in, say, 30 days.
There should be a Facebook market place for your town.
Take a look, I often see snowmobiles and boats on these pages, so it must work.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:32 AM   #7
Steve Di.

Default Fays

Fays sold a boat for me......
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:45 AM   #8
FlyingScot

Have not sold a boat on consignment, but having sold cars directly, on consignment, and to dealers, I've come to appreciate that it's a really nice thing to just walk away with a check, and the dealer is providing a significant service in exchange for buying at a discount. Consignment does not necessarily solve your problem
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:20 AM   #9
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
There are NO consignment boat sellers in the lakes region. Some marinas .... www.winnisquammarine.com/we-buy-boats/ .... will make a cash offer for your boat. They make much more profit this way and do not have the extra hassle involved with doing a consignment sale.

For selling a used boat that was not a trade-in, it's more money and a lot less hassle for a marina to buy it for cash as opposed to consignment. They say "We will pay cash for your used boat" but they do not say they will pay "BIG cash" for your boat.

To get the MOST money for your used boat you need to sell it yourself, make it look really nice, and do a test drive on the water for the buyer. .....
I dont think there is a dealer on the lake that wont take consignment units!

Figure 10-12% commission.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:22 AM   #10
codeman671

Quote:
Depending on what it is, I am sure it would sell very quickly. If its a newer machine I may be interested, or know someone that is. Post the details, I am sure one of us could help make it go away, or set you up with a dealer that is the best fit.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:23 AM   #11
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Di. View Post
Fays sold a boat for me......
Say hey ...... who the patootie knows? ...... maybe Fay's will do a consignment sale for someone who is a total stranger to them and not a boat slip renter? ..... after all, Fay's is not a marina .... Fay's is a boat yard ..... www.faysboatyard.com ..... .... so, who the heck knoweth????
Old 03-30-2022, 11:36 AM   #12
Baseball Fam

Thanks for the feedback on this. It's a 2012 Yamaha Waverunner VXR that I bought new in 2012 (with trailer and cover) that was always garaged in the winter. It has 40 hours on it (yes, sadly, only 40 hours). Held onto it several years too long hoping we'd use it more than once or twice a season, but small kids and moving further from Winnipesaukee a couple years ago forced the realization that it's time to part ways.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:54 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Hey, have you seen ..... www.pwctrader.com ...... $14.95-two weeks-four photos ..... $29.95-six weeks-twenty photos ..... and it puts all the Yamaha vxr into comparison selling for pricing it to get it sold.

It has fifteen different, privately owned and boat dealer resale, second-hand used, Yamaha Waverunner vxr with photos, price, and seller locations in Georgia, Ohio, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-31-2022 at 08:29 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 11:28 AM   #14
StevenGilford

I went to HK Powersports a couple of years ago to ask about consignment for my 2 PWCs. They made a great cash offer to just buy them that I happily took them up on.
StevenGilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:31 PM   #15
Triboro

Default NH Boat Museum Vintage Boat Auction

NH Boat Museum is currently looking for vintage boats and cars for their auction. NHBM is accepting donations and consignments.
Attached Images

Triboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:28 PM   #16
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback on this. It's a 2012 Yamaha Waverunner VXR that I bought new in 2012 (with trailer and cover) that was always garaged in the winter. It has 40 hours on it (yes, sadly, only 40 hours). Held onto it several years too long hoping we'd use it more than once or twice a season, but small kids and moving further from Winnipesaukee a couple years ago forced the realization that it's time to part ways.
I would LOVE to know more about this. This is exactly what I have been searching for.

Unfortunately the site owner here will not allow me to contact you. If you post it elsewhere, ask them to check this site and perhaps they can CONTACT ME
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:59 PM   #17
MV007

Default Melvin Village Marina Brokerage

We have sold several boats through Melvin Village Marina for a brokerage fee. One sold to a person out of state where the registry wanted special forms. MV Marina took care of all the hassles. Definitely worth the brokerage fee to not deal with "tire kickers" and special forms.
MV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:14 PM   #18
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I would LOVE to know more about this. This is exactly what I have been searching for.

Unfortunately the site owner here will not allow me to contact you. If you post it elsewhere, ask them to check this site and perhaps they can CONTACT ME
Why can't you PM them?
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:29 PM   #19
winterh

I don't know much about consignment sales but I can tell you this. This time last year I put my 2 used Seadoos on craigs list and had them both sold for cash at asking price by that afternoon. They were at my home in southern NH not at the lake. I was amazed they sold so quick without a test drive. I did start them for a few seconds. I assume the market is still very good. Was not a hassle.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:02 PM   #20
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post

Try this: Go to Baseball Fam Post, click on his name and you should get a pull down menu, one of which is send private message.

If you are on the Winni app (Tapatalk), you may have to go to "full site" and then proceed as above.

Dave
Old 04-04-2022, 07:12 AM   #21
Baseball Fam

I talked with the folks at DaSilva Motorsports who were very helpful to inquire about consignment (and it turns out I need to get a new battery). They said they definitely will do a consignment sale there but, with the market right now, selling on my own (via facebook marketplace, craigslist, pwctrader, etc.) should be easy and save me on paying the consignment fee. So, I'm going to go that route. Once I get the battery installed so it's water-ready, I'll be listing it myself.

Thanks all for the feedback here on this!!
Old 04-04-2022, 07:19 AM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
I talked with the folks at DaSilva Motorsports who were very helpful to inquire about consignment (and it turns out I need to get a new battery). They said they definitely will do a consignment sale there but, with the market right now, selling on my own (via facebook marketplace, craigslist, pwctrader, etc.) should be easy and save me on paying the consignment fee. So, I'm going to go that route. Once I get the battery installed so it's water-ready, I'll be listing it myself.

Thanks all for the feedback here on this!!
Did you see post #16 above? Poster is trying to get in touch with you.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Baseball Fam (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #23
fatlazyless

Question ..... Craigslist scammer alert

I have been told that new recently posted ads in Craigslist typically get contacted by scammers look'n to hit on a newbie ...... so's you want to be a detective for possible scammers posing as a buyer .... and use your best judgement with WHOM you choose to communicate. ...

Years ago, a scammer could purchase a bank check for $6.00 ..... and then alter it with a fountain pen to turn the $6.00 into $60. and use the altered check to purchase some item that cost $25 from someone who was eager to sell the item plus give them $35 in change.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-04-2022 at 10:09 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:41 AM   #24
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
I have been told that new recently posted ads in Craigslist typically get contacted by scammers look'n to hit on a newbie ...... so's you want to be a detective for possible scammers posing as a buyer .... and use your best judgement with WHOM you choose to communicate. ...

Years ago, a scammer could purchase a bank check for $6.00 ..... and then alter it with a fountain pen to turn the $6.00 into $60. and use the altered check to purchase some item that cost $25 from someone who was eager to sell the item plus give them $35 in change.
Definitely have to be more careful than ever, but I much prefer Facebook Marketplace as sellers can at least get an idea of the buyer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:03 AM   #25
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Your Waverunner is exactly what HK Powersports would buy. They will not buy anything that has been in salt. Low hours and less than 10 years old is what they like. If you are not available they will even go look at it and if you agree on a price they will take it away and mail you a check.

I have bought and sold several things through them from Waverunners to Yamaha boats and they are excellent for sales and service. Good people!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:08 AM   #26
TiltonBB

Quote:

I use Craigslist a lot to sell cars or fill rental property. I just sold some furniture on it too.

The first clue of a scam inquiry is the email response that says: "Is your item still for sale?" without mentioning what it is.

You can bet that you are their 5,000th email that day as they look for more suckers!
Old 04-05-2022, 09:18 AM   #27
Ms Molly McKever

Default Marina's

What is the consignment, brokerage fee the marina's charge when sell a boat, Is it a flat rate or % of the selling price.
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #28
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Molly McKever View Post
What is the consignment, brokerage fee the marina's charge when sell a boat, Is it a flat rate or % of the selling price.
Some of them are at 10% of the selling price. Many times they will get repair work from the sale when a potential buyer wants things fixed before they purchase.

I know that places like HK also have wholesalers that they sell the older, tired trade ins that they get. They don't want to be responsible for an old clunker that will end up as a maintenance problem for the buyer.