Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2022, 07:00 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default Scenic snowmobile trails?

Can anyone suggest some scenic snowmobile trails for walking? I only walk midweek when there are fewer snowmobiles and I yield the trail to them. I find the groomed surface very comfortable for walking, easy on the back. Thanks!

Correction: Does not have to be groomed. Just has to be a trail broken by snowmobiles.

Last edited by SailinAway; 01-10-2022 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Correction
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:54 PM   #2
John Mercier

I really can't think of any place that I would consider scenic in the winter.
I guess some place that would have mountains in the background, or if you were walking through a conifer grove that could be scenic.

The conifer groves generally do not have snowmobile trails and are more snowshoe or snow hiking at various outlets... while a mountain background needs a lot of open area to count.

The only place I know locally like that would be the old Laconia State School area that overlooks the Belknap Range across Lake Opechee.

The conifer groves can be found in several small parks that are generally attached to parking lots.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:27 AM   #3
Skip

Default Scenic (walkable) Trails at the OVSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Can anyone suggest some scenic snowmobile trails for walking? I only walk midweek when there are fewer snowmobiles and I yield the trail to them. I find the groomed surface very comfortable for walking, easy on the back. Thanks!
An area that fits your description close by would be over in Tamworth on the Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club (OVSC) trails. The Club has a parking lot open to the public outside of Tamworth proper on Great Hill Road. The snowmobile trail from there will quickly take you to the open Great Hill Fire Tower for some magnificent winter and mountain views.

You can visit the club website by clicking here OVSC or check us out on Facebook by searching OVSC. We have not opened our gates or started grooming yey but when we do it will be posted on both sites and updated daily once the season starts.

I am currently the Club's president and one of its groomer operators, and we encourage multi-users of our trails including hikers, snow-shoers, cross-country skiers and dog mushers, of course!

Enjoy!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (01-10-2022), trfour (02-15-2022), upthesaukee (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 02:23 PM   #4
BoatHouse

You might like the trails at Moose Mountain Recreation area. Excellent sledding hill too. The parking lot is at - 107 Moose Mountain Rd, Brookfield, NH 03872
BoatHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BoatHouse For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (02-11-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #5
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
An area that fits your description close by would be over in Tamworth on the Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club (OVSC) trails. . . .We have not opened our gates or started grooming yey but when we do it will be posted on both sites and updated daily once the season starts.
Skip, thanks very much! Sounds great. Have snowmobiles already broken the trail? That's all I need for comfortable walking.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #6
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I guess some place that would have mountains in the background, or if you were walking through a conifer grove that could be scenic.
John, yes, I do consider a simple walk in the woods scenic. Does not have to have dramatic scenery. Thanks for your ideas!
Old 01-10-2022, 06:26 PM   #7
John Mercier

I have woods right outside my door... so I consider that everyday scenery that I do not have to drive to.

We only had snow deep enough for the snow machines to run for about a week or two last year... and even then it wasn't deep enough for me to switch to snowshoes over the YakTraks. So I thought you may be looking for something like the others suggest... but maybe not so vertical a climb.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:56 PM   #8
SailinAway

Quote:
I have woods right outside my door... so I consider that everyday scenery that I do not have to drive to.

We only had snow deep enough for the snow machines to run for about a week or two last year... and even then it wasn't deep enough for me to switch to snowshoes over the YakTraks. So I thought you may be looking for something like the others suggest... but maybe not so vertical a climb.
You raise a good point about snow depth. Maybe there's not enough snow yet? How much snow do you need for a snowmobile?

I have woods outside my door too, but no snowmobile trails. Why I love walking for exercise on packed snowmobile trails: They're just firm enough to keep you moving forward without sinking in, but they have good cushioning for your joints. And the snowmobiles break up the slippery surface after freezing rain. Perfect! Much better than walking on pavement (too hard on the joints), in deep snow (too difficult), or on snowshoes in deep snow (too much effort, pace too slow, but I do enjoy snowshoeing).
Old 01-10-2022, 07:16 PM   #9
John Mercier

They state roughly six inches.
But it varies depending on how flat the surface under the trail is.

They really needed the ground to freeze before the snow depth gets to the point of actually insulating it.

Right now, I am in insulated rubber boots... not even the Snowbears with the built in gaiters, just the ankle highs. Their flexible rubber sole has been enough on the shallow snow. If it gets icy, a harder sole hiker with strap-on YakTraks (or comparable) does the trick. I really don't see me using the snowshoes unless the snow gets to my knees. At that time the effort to lift my foot and then sink it in for every step makes the walk sort of miserable.

Tracked a deer yesterday. I think it may be doing a loop and using my Winterberry bushes as a snack.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:52 AM   #10
Skip

Default OVSC trails still closed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Skip, thanks very much! Sounds great. Have snowmobiles already broken the trail? That's all I need for comfortable walking.
The trails are still closed but the usual suspects have been out there sledding already. We have not yet groomed due to lack of enough cover, but we just need one good 6 to 12 inch storm to open gates and pack/groom. I'll post back here on this thread when it happens!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (01-12-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #11
fatlazyless

Located in Meredith about two to three miles from the big intersection .... https://www.trailfinder.info/trails/...st-meredith-nh
.... for walking.

Good central parking area for your car.

Pets permitted on a leash.

Fees: no fee! .....

NO motorized vehicles like no motorcycle, no snowmobile, and no atv allowed on the 8.3-miles of walking trails.

Once upon a time, going back to about 1985(?) and earlier the large open sloping field shown in the photos had to be home to a herd of grazing cows or sheep. It sure looks like an old cow pasture that used to be ...... for many, many years ..... before.

Well, those there cows that used to be here are no longer here ..... they have mooooved on to that big cow pasture in Quebec, or somewhere?
SailinAway (01-12-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 06:21 PM   #12
John Mercier

You mean the Moulton's? Yeah, that was dairy.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:35 PM   #13
fatlazyless

The huge open field I'm talking about, now named Page Pond Forest, runs along Barnard Ridge Rd and the land was probably a cow pasture for a hundred years or more, up till maybe the 1980's.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:51 PM   #14
John Mercier

Most of that area was at one time the Moulton Farm.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:23 PM   #15
SailinAway

Default Page Pond

FLL, that looks like a great place to explore. I had never heard of it. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2022, 06:32 PM   #16
SailinAway

Quote:
If it gets icy, a harder sole hiker with strap-on YakTraks (or comparable) does the trick. . . . Tracked a deer yesterday. I think it may be doing a loop and using my Winterberry bushes as a snack.
I recommend these cleats for walking on ice: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1 They're a lot more durable than the ones with the little nubs that you can get in Walmart (the nubs fall off). . . . Dear have done a LOT of damage to my property this winter. Trees, hedges, shrubs all stripped.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:12 PM   #17
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Located in Meredith about two to three miles from the big intersection .... https://www.trailfinder.info/trails/...st-meredith-nh
FLL, thanks for this link. I went to visit this place on Sunday (warm, sunny). I went to the Quarry Road entrance and explored a couple of trails there. The view of the pond was very nice. I never even knew that pond was there. The footing was "okay," not as good as a snowmobile trail but decent.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:12 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Saturday, March 26, about 4-pm: Was out front my mega multi-million dollar waterfront embankment, raking the old oak leafs with a brand new $9 rake from Wal-mart and was very surprised to see a bright red snowmobile zooming out the gray wet lake ice, out past Flasher #3 towards Mark Island. He stopped out there, made a u-turn and went back towards Shep Browns, somewhere? Probably thought, what the hell am I doing out here, is this wack-a-doozie crazy or what, and he turned it around? .....

For walking icy walking paths in the NH-winter, Ebay has Yaktrax Pro friction stretch-ons for about $20/pair in s,m, l & xl. These spring like metal and stretchy black neoprene friction walkers don't look like they would work all that good but they do perform very good for wet icy trails without the severity of the sharp pointed crampons used for ice climbing. YakTrac Pro is somewhat similar to putting chains on tires and is fairly easy to attach to shoes, but not too easy. They get stretched on and secured with a single Velcro strap.

And, unlike that guy out driving the thin gray soggy Lake Winnipesaukee ice with a twelve thousand dollar, red snowmobile, you do not need registration, insurance, club membership, high-priced gasoline, a snowmobile, a trailer, and a vehicle capable to tow the trailer. All you need is a good 55-dollar pair of walking/hiking shoes and some long underwear, underneath, for the NH-winter, outdoors. Snowshoes have not been needed because the snow quickly gets packed down by other winter walker/hikers, but ice friction devices have definitely been needed a lot, this winter. And, walking will take you up and down narrow, rocky, hilly trails where snowmobiles simply cannot go.

The http://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/ne...ond-and-forest in Meredith, about 2.5 miles from the big intersection is closed to wheeled vehicles like bicycles and atvs, and snowmobiles. For winter walking their hilly trails, a pair of Yaktrax Pro Traction Cleats ...... https://yaktrax.implus.com .... $19.95 on Ebay ..... will make you good to go.

Viva las NH-winter!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-28-2022 at 07:12 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:01 AM   #19
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Saturday, March 26, about 4-pm: Was out front my mega multi-million dollar waterfront embankment, raking the old oak leafs with a brand new $9 rake from Wal-mart and was very surprised to see a bright red snowmobile zooming out the gray wet lake ice, out past Flasher #3 towards Mark Island. He stopped out there, made a u-turn and went back towards Shep Browns, somewhere? Probably thought, what the hell am I doing out here, is this wack-a-doozie crazy or what, and he turned it around? .....

For walking icy walking paths in the NH-winter, Ebay has Yaktrax Pro friction stretch-ons for about $20/pair in s,m, l & xl. These spring like metal and stretchy black neoprene friction walkers don't look like they would work all that good but they do perform very good for wet icy trails without the severity of the sharp pointed crampons used for ice climbing. YakTrac Pro is somewhat similar to putting chains on tires and is fairly easy to attach to shoes, but not too easy. They get stretched on and secured with a single Velcro strap.

And, unlike that guy out driving the thin gray soggy Lake Winnipesaukee ice with a twelve thousand dollar, red snowmobile, you do not need registration, insurance, club membership, high-priced gasoline, a snowmobile, a trailer, and a vehicle capable to tow the trailer. All you need is a good 55-dollar pair of walking/hiking shoes and some long underwear, underneath, for the NH-winter, outdoors. Snowshoes have not been needed because the snow quickly gets packed down by other winter walker/hikers, but ice friction devices have definitely been needed a lot, this winter. And, walking will take you up and down narrow, rocky, hilly trails where snowmobiles simply cannot go.

The http://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/ne...ond-and-forest in Meredith, about 2.5 miles from the big intersection is closed to wheeled vehicles like bicycles and atvs, and snowmobiles. For winter walking their hilly trails, a pair of Yaktrax Pro Traction Cleats ...... https://yaktrax.implus.com .... $19.95 on Ebay ..... will make you good to go.

Viva las NH-winter!
Yeah, let's see how far you get on those traction cleats walking out on gray ice this time of year.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote