Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
Mirror Lake's BB

Smile Varnish stripper for mahogony

I need to refinish the mahogany wood on our 13 ' Boston Whaler. Wood doesn't have that much finish left on it. I understand that Methylene Chloride is no longer permitted in the US and was the main active ingredient in old formulations of strippers. What available strippers do you recommend or not. Thanks Robin
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

I have had good luck with a product called “safe strip”. More a a paste. You must let it work a few hours. HD use to sell a orange product that works, takes a bit longer

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Mirror Lake's BB (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
winni83

We have an 86 13 foot Super Sport. After several sand downs to bare wood and putting marine poly on, the wood was in poor shape and had several cracks. We found a company that sells pre finished replacement wood specifically for the 13 foot Whaler. Not cheap by any means. Just received the order and it looks great. This will be a fall project so no completed pics. PM me if you want details.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #4
Downeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post
I need to refinish the mahogany wood on our 13 ' Boston Whaler. Wood doesn't have that much finish left on it. I understand that Methylene Chloride is no longer permitted in the US and was the main active ingredient in old formulations of strippers. What available strippers do you recommend or not. Thanks Robin
for what its worth; I cut teeth at boatyards dotting the maine coast . We never used chem strippers. our annual maintenance involved 220, tack and coat with epiphanies for first coat then followed up with 320 for coat 2 and scotch brite for coats 3 & 4.

eventually ephipahnes came out with a' wood gloss' that did not require sanding between coats, it was used for buildup purposes only and all finals were always done with full strength epi for purposes of UV tolerance

If it needed to be stripped, we used a heat gun and scrapers. It goes very fast. build up was 25% epi to mineral spirits, 50%, 75% then 5-7 coats full strength depending on application with scotch brite in between.

badger hair or white china bristle. brushes were cleaned in fresh mineral spirits, then left upside down white saturated with clean motor oil, covered in alum foil. hope this helps
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Downeast For This Useful Post:
Descant (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 08:25 PM   #5
Woody38

I have said in other posts that I am a fan of Starten. It does not raise the grain and very little sanding will be required if at all. Comes in liquid and paste. In my case it out performed every other stripper I tried.

Starten.com

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links