Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
radioman

Default WHO Remembers Mighty MO ???

Now with cell phones so popular who remembers the blind vet who monitored ch16 and did his best to help boaters??
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to radioman For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-28-2020), CTYankee (06-29-2020), Jdarby (07-02-2020), lakershaker (06-29-2020), Phantom (06-29-2020), sum-r breeze (07-02-2020), upthesaukee (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Now with cell phones so popular who remembers the blind vet who monitored ch16 and did his best to help boaters??
I do. Too bad it had to end.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:52 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

There are lots of threads here about Mighty Mo. Here's a couple:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ead.php?t=5398

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=16897
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Thanks for sharing—sounds like an amazing man who would've probably inspired me to listen on the radio.

Is there anyone like him still around? I think most of what I've read is that VHF is mostly just monitored for safety these days.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #5
Water Camper

Default Mighty Mo

I remember Mighty Mo, and can't tell you how many times he kept us from getting wet. Plus as I understand it he assisted many boaters with other issues especially coordinating with Marine Patrol and others for assistance.

Rest in Peace Mighty Mo,

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
Phantom

His best reports were of severe lightning approaching the area.

Being blind & ingenious, his method was quite simple, he'd listen to lower frequency of an AM radio and listen for the intensity of the interference (crackling sound) caused by an approaching storm .
Old 06-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
CrownRay

Its amazing. When I was a kid in the 80s/90s CH16 was so alive. Everyone had one. On a busy Saturday you could hardly get a word in on it!

Now, I bet I yelled MAYDAY - I would get - Crickets.

Does MP even monitor it anymore?
Old 06-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRay View Post

MP does to some degree monitor 16 ( at least last season) but they only do so on a few of their boats. No longer from MP Headquarters, which is a crying shame.

The problem with raising MP today is that if that particular patrol boat is underway, or in some obscure Cove they will not hear you. Thus I have found it to be "hit or miss".

It is rather sad, as I have had a couple of occasions whereby we became the "Samaritan" and I could not raise a MP boat. Calling Concord took more time to explain what the situation was and for them to figure out my approximate location than anyone should have to do as opposed to a 2 way conversation with the responders.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Channel 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRay View Post
Its amazing. When I was a kid in the 80s/90s CH16 was so alive. Everyone had one. On a busy Saturday you could hardly get a word in on it!

Now, I bet I yelled MAYDAY - I would get - Crickets.

VHF channel 12 is used quite often by Winni fishermen. Pretty busy channel on a Saturday and Sunday morning...

Dan
Old 06-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #10
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
MP does to some degree monitor 16 ( at least last season) but they only do so on a few of their boats. No longer from MP Headquarters, which is a crying shame.

The problem with raising MP today is that if that particular patrol boat is underway, or in some obscure Cove they will not hear you. Thus I have found it to be "hit or miss".

It is rather sad, as I have had a couple of occasions whereby we became the "Samaritan" and I could not raise a MP boat. Calling Concord took more time to explain what the situation was and for them to figure out my approximate location than anyone should have to do as opposed to a 2 way conversation with the responders.
I agree. MP is not at all like it used to be. When you call they have no idea where the lake is let alone where the areas are. From what little I have seen the guys in the boats don't know the rules either. Capt. is a great guy. It must be tough for him now.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #11
garysanfran

I thought if you had a VHF radio on board, it was mandatory to have it on and tuned to Ch. 16. When sailing on SF Bay, Ch. 16 was always on and it was mandatory to respond to emergency calls if you were in the immediate area. Is this no longer the case?
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #12
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I thought if you had a VHF radio on board, it was mandatory to have it on and tuned to Ch. 16. When sailing on SF Bay, Ch. 16 was always on and it was mandatory to respond to emergency calls if you were in the immediate area. Is this no longer the case?
I don't believe it ever was mandatory on the lake. I had VHF radios on boats in the 70's and 80's but I think they are more the exception now. With cell phones you can just call the Marine Patrol if you have a need.

I do know that some of the marina offices have VHF radios but they generally use other channels and do not monitor channel 16
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #13
radioman

Default Mighty Mo

Radio on pleasure craft was never required
Old 06-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #14
Phantom

Having your VHF on 16 is definately not mandatory but if I am in the boat it is ALWAYS one of the 3 channels I scan.

And yes, maritime Code is if you see a boat in distress you (as a good Captain) are duty bound to lend assistance in whatever fashion you are capable.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:33 PM   #15
radioman

Default mighty mo

My family and I have boated all over the east coast since 1970. We did so always monitoring ch. 16 and kept out of trouble by doing so. People serious about keeping their ears to the ground for weather and other critical issues will continue to monitor 16. From 2001 to 2010 Shep Browns monitored 16 in the store and were often able to be of service in many ways.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #16
tis

Does anybody ever see Brian from Sheps now?
Old 07-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #17
sum-r breeze

Default Back in the day...

We would be up in Center Harbor or near Long Island and be the radio go between for Mo and Marine Patrol or a Boater and MP. We relayed many messages for stranded boaters for Mo. He was a special caring voice for the boaters on Winni and we will never forget him

The Breeze
Old 07-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #18
Jdarby

I remember Mighty Mo! Wow...thank you for that blast from the past! He was an iconic part of this Lake’s boating culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #19
sum-r breeze

Default Great Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Does anybody ever see Brian from Sheps now?
Brian was very good to us when we first got into boating on Winni on our Wellcraft Nova. His integrity and honest business practices were a deciding factor as to whether we stayed in boating or not early on. Shep Browns was our first marina.

The Breeze
Old 07-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #20
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
Brian was very good to us when we first got into boating on Winni on our Wellcraft Nova. His integrity and honest business practices were a deciding factor as to whether we stayed in boating or not early on. Shep Browns was our first marina.

The Breeze
I couldn't agree more. That's why I wondered where he is.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:45 AM   #21
Misty Blue

Default Mighty Mo

Some of you may not know how he got his name. Mighty Mo (Bill) served on the USS Missouri during the Korean war. He was justly proud of that.

The nick nave of the Missouri was the Mighty Mo.

Mighty Mo kept and eye (or maybe better said "ear") out for the boaters on the Lake. I would sometimes contact him and he would watch out for my girls when they were underway.

Before he passed he gave me a really neat present. A ships compass probably stolen from one of the Battleships small boats. Coool!

Rest in peace, My friend.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (08-04-2020), Phantom (07-04-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #22
Jdarby

Some knit-whit was just on Channel 16 talking with someone about Mighty Mo! Mighty Mo respected the use of Channel 16 as an emergency channel! Take your idle chit-chat off frequency!

Old 08-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #23
skprbob

Default Mighty Mo (Bill Whall)

During my years on the Marine Patrol, I grew to appreciate Mighty Mo's many talents. He knew the lake better than most and there were many times where he guided me to a boat in distress and saved response time. His weather reports and warnings were a big help to all of us. I had never actually met him, though we both lived in Melvin Village, until one day, by accident, I entered the barber shop in Wolfeboro. There were a couple of gents waiting and one in the chair. I said hello to them and was astounded when the man in the chair said "Hello, Marine 9". He had recognized my voice! We introduced ourselves and thus began what turned out to be a lasting friendship. A sad day when he passed.
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skprbob For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-02-2020), chasedawg (08-01-2020), Senter Cove Guy (08-03-2020), thinkxingu (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #24
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdarby View Post
Some knit-whit was just on Channel 16 talking with someone about Mighty Mo! Mighty Mo respected the use of Channel 16 as an emergency channel! Take your idle chit-chat off frequency!

That “knit-whit” was ME ! and I was talking to Capt Peter aboard Tow Boat USA (whom I have helped out many times in the past). The “conversation” lasted all of about 4 exchanges between each other & YES “Mighty Mo’s” name came up.

As a long time boater here - I am FULLY AWARE of the purpose of Ch16. However, I think that you have (respectfully) - your wires crossed as Ch 16 appears no longer an emergancy channel for this lake. I have & I have heard many others attempt to raise MP - which I know for a fact have VHF’s in their boats - to no avail !!

Please do not lecture me on radio ettiquitte nor off handidly refer to me as a “nit-whit” until we have met.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #25
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
nor off handidly refer to me as a “nit-whit” until we have met.
Ha! Well I already like you if you’re even open to being called a knit-whit once we have met! LOL While clearly the use of Channel 16 is not what it used to be, it’s designation has not changed as a marine distress frequency. Maybe because I work in the emergency services I’m more tightly wound on the use of said frequency. Frankly I’m glad there is a subset of us that still monitors it and for that I thank you. I humbly withdraw my knit-whit comment until such time as we meet! I reserve the right to re-bestow said title at that time.....If you don’t bestow it on me first! LOL Be well!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
Phantom (08-05-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #26
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdarby View Post
Ha! Well I already like you if you’re even open to being called a knit-whit once we have met! LOL While clearly the use of Channel 16 is not what it used to be, it’s designation has not changed as a marine distress frequency. Maybe because I work in the emergency services I’m more tightly wound on the use of said frequency. Frankly I’m glad there is a subset of us that still monitors it and for that I thank you. I humbly withdraw my knit-whit comment until such time as we meet! I reserve the right to re-bestow said title at that time.....If you don’t bestow it on me first! LOL Be well!
Correct me I am wrong but while channel 16 is the main distress channel it is also the main hailing channel and very brief conversations are allowed.

Dan
Old 08-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #27
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Yes it is

Channel 16 VHF is a marine VHF radio frequency designated as an international distress frequency. Primarily intended for distress, urgency and safety priority calls, the frequency may also carry routine calls used to establish communication before switching to another working channel.

Dave
Jdarby (08-04-2020), Phantom (08-05-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #28
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Correct me I am wrong but while channel 16 is the main distress channel it is also the main hailing channel and very brief conversations are allowed.

Dan
From the BoatUS Foundation website: “When hailing other boats for routine communication, you'll need to hail them on 16 or 09, and then move to an available working channel, usually 68, 69, 71 or 72.” There are various other references as well and none state anything about allowing brief conversations. Hail, make contact, move to another frequency. But alas, with cell technology this is all going the way of the Dodo!

Old 08-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #29
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Did someone say Dodo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoRalobIcME
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (08-06-2020)