Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2020, 05:50 AM   #1
AC2717

Default Power Tilt/trim Rebuild

Does anyone know someone in the area that does rebuilds on power trim/tilt pump/motors complete unit

thank you

Last edited by AC2717; 04-26-2020 at 09:08 AM.
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
AC2717

housing for motor is cracked, water got in it yesterday, and ram broke lol

top end of the ram where it attaches to the motor froze in place causing a lot of back pressure, wasn't able to pivot

new is $1,000, and don't want to buy a used one, housing that the ram is in and the metal base is perfectly fine
Old 04-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
That's a shame ,, you have a lot of problems beyond a simple repair.

What size motor was/is this by the way ? Any chance of a salvage yard helping you out with a motor that has different problems, but the parts you need. I guess i'm suggesting gently used.
mercury 25hp
Old 04-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
Dave R

If you can't find a reasonably priced OEM fix, one option would be to use one of these instead: https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...or-up-to-35-hp. I bought one last week and am mounting it this afternoon. It is really well made.

By moving the engine back 5.5" you can raise it 1/2" to 3/4" and often gain a bit more cruising and top speed (and therefore fuel efficiency). It's like jack plate in that regard.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
housing for motor is cracked, water got in it yesterday, and ram broke lol

top end of the ram where it attaches to the motor froze in place causing a lot of back pressure, wasn't able to pivot

new is $1,000, and don't want to buy a used one, housing that the ram is in and the metal base is perfectly fine
So...just a bad fuse then.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Default .... for a 25-hp, less is better.

Here's another way to fix a broken trim/tilt on a 25-hp outboard which can be an expensive fix.

Search the classifieds for a used Johnson or Tohatsu 25, two-stroke, from year-2000 to 2010 that has a manual trim/tilt, where the angle of the engine can be placed at four or five different settings by pulling back the engine and setting the angle holder using your arms and hands to make the adjustment.

Most 25-hp without the power trim/tilt usually do not have a starter motor either and have a pull starter on the top front of the motor so it is good to go without a power trim/tilt, without a power starter, and without a battery.

Less is better. ....
Old 04-27-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
So...just a bad fuse then.
yes lol, just have to find the fuse to replace and will be good to go lol
below the reservior housing that sits ontop and over the motor is cracked, the housing for the motor is what is cracked underneath that, right before the metal seen. and the other doesn't need an explanation. Problem is I cant get that pin out to remove the ram pivot head
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
8gv

If you could remove the pin, would this be repairable?

Is it possible that there is an automotive tool, that is "rented" out by the local auto parts store for free, that can help free the pin?

Is the unit free from its installation and small enough to warm up in an oven?

If not free, can a heat gun be used?

Maybe some heat therapy on the unit followed by a very cold aerosol spray on the pin might work.

Of course there is the tool known as the BFH.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:42 AM   #9
AC2717

the pin is holding the broken piece of the top of the piston arm to the bracket on the motor. Motor mounted on stern.

I have soaked it in rust remover and will let it sit for few more days and go after it. I will be doing a heat treatment on the bracket and try to stay away from the pin, I am not too keen on hitting the pin it with a cool aresol as I am I'm afraid I might crack the bracket on the motor with the rapid cool down of the pin.

my plan so far is to heat the bracket from below and use like a punch on the pin to push it out. I am going to see if the store has a slide hammer of some sorts. Or it will be the sledge and I have a long carriage bolt that is slightly smaller diameter than the pin that I have been trying yesterday before the rain. The unit itself took about 5 minutes to get out.

I have found a place in Florida online that will rebuild for $400 (internal rebuild after a cleaning and all new seals in the piston and everywhere else. but it does not include large parts that might be needed. As in the reservoir the motor and the piston. I have to call them as they said they could possibly have cores around that have parts to use (piston, reservoir tank, I would want a new motor). But at that point I am thinking that is $700 or so in that range after pricing parts out online, and a brand new whole unit is $1,000 online.

Once that pin is out, it would be a new pin and bushings anyways, so could care less about damaging the pin. The unit is repairable but parts costs: $90 for reservoir tank, $150 for new piston arm, $300 for the motor and then a seal kit at $50, would have to be cleaned out, water got in as this happened underway while adjusting trim, and then adding fulid. Then it would be about 15-20 minutes of reinstalling it

I'm not comfortable myself rebuilding it internally as everything needs to come apart and out and put back together again (tools, time experience) - reason looking for someone local to rebuild but if costs to rebuild and replace parts is north of $600 rather just buy a new one, at same time can't believe how much a new unit on such a small motor costs
Old 04-27-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
8gv

Maybe something like this:

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...man-arm-puller
Old 04-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #11
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
worth a try, but trying to figure out how to attach it to the bracket, then will the bracket be strong enough to withstand the pressure.