Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Retiring... Maybe not ?

Will be retiring sometime in 2017.

Not looking to stay idle, so exploring possibilities of either a part time job,
or starting my own business. Don't to wish full-time occupation, have done that for 40 yrs corporate !

Looking to the Forum for business suggestions or opportunities.
What business need is missing in the lakes region that could sustain
year-round employment and income.

Appreciate everyone's feedback !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
8gv

How to make a small fortune in business...

start out with a large fortune!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Reilly (09-11-2016), Winnisquamer (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #3
ushaggerb

Every year we come back to the Lake. And every year we try to take a piece back with us. My goal was to have a room or 2 in our home that "feels" like the lake.
It's too hard, one piece at a time. I'm not suggesting another "antique or Lakes region knick-knacks" store.

I'd love to give someone room dimensions in our home and have them create the "interior" design that "brings the Lake to us."
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:32 AM   #4
fatlazyless

.....hmmmmm....with www.efi.com recently announcing the close of their Meredith facility, and relocating it to Manchester NH, you should be able to waltz your M.Eng job experience over to www.dunkindonuts.com and just maybe get a starter job here in the lakes region! Or better yet, take your M.Eng degree and apply it to become one of our 400-NH state representatives, so's you can collect a 57.5-cent(?)/mile refund, driving back and forth to the NH-State House, plus the 100-dollars/2-year term, payday.

On a more serious note, all the Wal-Marts in Gilford, Plymouth, and Tilton have signs posted in their parking lots looking for employees to start at 9.00/h and here in New Hampshire the minimum wage is ruled by the federal minimum of 7.25/h unless you work in a restaurant and get tips. The lakes region supposedly has many, many millionaires living here who can maybe be identified by their big money cars and pick-ups seen on the local roads, and the private jets flying to/from Laconia Airport. Laconia Airport www.laconiaairport.com has no scheduled passenger airline service what-so-ever, and has a very nice 5890'x100' asphalt paved, designer runway?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-11-2016 at 02:41 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
noreast

^^^^ And if that doesn't work out, There's always the "oldest profession" of course this would be the senior version. How about "Renters Review" some how get into into every property, Break it into divisions by price, and give an honest review. I hate the fake reviews of business on line, you can be a one man review machine.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
8gv

On the other hand...

Ray Kroc started McD's at 55.

Do you want a business? That will require a large commitment of time and mental anguish.

Do you just want something to do? A part time job helping folks in the aisles can be less taxing on the mind.

I'd bet that some of the folks that who help me in stores have a well feathered nest yet work for a sense of purpose and human interaction.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
bigdog

Will probably see if I can do contract work part-time, however in my line of work that's difficult,
most companies want full time. I work in Cyber-Security, so there's no lack of work !

In this career I've been able to work from home for years now and happy with the arrangement.

Will have conversations with current employer before departing to see if there's interest and if my skills are still valuable for part-time assignments ? Bid Dog is an 'old dog' and they can get 2 maybe 3,
30 somethings' for my wages....

Also plan to surf the employment websites: Monster, DICE, INDEED.COM etc for part time work.
Have to brush up my resume' !
Old 09-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
On the other hand...

Ray Kroc started McD's at 55.

Not really. Understand your point though.

Founded in the United States in 1940, the company began as a barbecue restaurant operated by Richard and Maurice McDonald. In 1948, they reorganized their business as a hamburger stand using production line principles. Businessman Ray Kroc joined the company as a franchise agent in 1955. He subsequently purchased the chain from the McDonald brothers and oversaw its worldwide growth.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
8gv

All correct.

Kroc had the vision and drive to build the original McDonalds brothers' business into the franchise system that we know today.

Dick and Mack, may (or may not) have carried on with McDonald's in the same form in which Ray encountered them.

Starting this at 55 is one hell of a second career!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

The Marriott's started with a hamburger stand too!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #11
winni83

The story I heard about the McDonald brothers and Ray Krock was that Krock was selling or distributing the machines that the McDonalds used for their “milkshakes” and was astounded at the volume the McDonalds were doing and it went on from there.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Default ...want to volunteer two days per week in Laconia?

The St Vincent dePaul thrift store in Laconia, next to McDonald's fast food, is looking for two volunteers, two days per week, to load-unload-drive their large cube truck to remove large furniture donation items like sofas and bureaus and other large items from peoples homes back to the thrift store. A cdl-drivers license is not needed, just a regular operators license, a strong back, and a desire to volunteer will do it.

Hey there bigdog.......it's not just a job....it's a position.....and it my be just right for you, buddy?

How do I know? A help wanted has been posted at the entrance since last January.

www.stvdplaconia.org/

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-14-2016 at 10:44 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #13
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Not really. Understand your point though.

Founded in the United States in 1940, the company began as a barbecue restaurant operated by Richard and Maurice McDonald. In 1948, they reorganized their business as a hamburger stand using production line principles. Businessman Ray Kroc joined the company as a franchise agent in 1955. He subsequently purchased the chain from the McDonald brothers and oversaw its worldwide growth.
I grew up in Bedford, NH ( summered in Moultonborough). At the time students from Bedford attended West High School in Manchester. Every year a McDonalds scholarship was given to a student. I am not sure if the McDonald brothers attended West or not.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #14
kauriel

Depending on where you are it seems based on the previous thread there may be demand for a good vacation rental operator. I personally would love to find a great operator and one that is willing to handle rentals for shorter periods such as a weekend.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kauriel For This Useful Post:
HomeWood (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
Depending on where you are it seems based on the previous thread there may be demand for a good vacation rental operator. I personally would love to find a great operator and one that is willing to handle rentals for shorter periods such as a weekend.
And/or a house checker.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #16
HomeWood

Fun topic. I am on track to retire in 12-13 years from law enforcement. I will be in my late 40's. We will then relocate to the lakes region. I have a few ideas in mind for my own business. I was thinking property services as follows:

- snow plowing
-light landscaping (mow, trim, blow)
-snow bird house caretaker (alarm response, heat check, security check, etc)
-vacation rental stuff (maybe)
-light handyman projects
-other random stuff...just ask kind of thing.

And hopefully get to use my real passion of custom hand painted pin striping.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #17
kawishiwi

Default Shoulder season full time contract work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Will probably see if I can do contract work part-time, however in my line of work that's difficult,
most companies want full time. I work in Cyber-Security, so there's no lack of work !

In this career I've been able to work from home for years now and happy with the arrangement.

Will have conversations with current employer before departing to see if there's interest and if my skills are still valuable for part-time assignments ? Bid Dog is an 'old dog' and they can get 2 maybe 3,
30 somethings' for my wages....

Also plan to surf the employment websites: Monster, DICE, INDEED.COM etc for part time work.
Have to brush up my resume' !
In the last two years I started getting feelers for contract remote work in Software development ( from Monster & LinkedIn accounts ). While all were full time the chance at remote contract work is leading me to consider the possibilty of eventually doing short full time remote contracts during the "shoulder" seasons. All summer and Winter to play, gray seasons to work?
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #18
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
..... I have a few ideas in mind for my own business.......
And hopefully get to use my real passion of custom hand painted pin striping.
And therein lies your future. Retirement is supposed to be doing what you want to do, rather than what you had to do before. Turning a passion into an income-producing venture would be ideal. It wouldn't really be working, yet it would keep you busy and provide income. You could branch into all kinds of custom painting services according to what tickles you, work when and as long as you like - what could be better for you?
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #19
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
And therein lies your future. Retirement is supposed to be doing what you want to do, rather than what you had to do before. Turning a passion into an income-producing venture would be ideal. It wouldn't really be working, yet it would keep you busy and provide income. You could branch into all kinds of custom painting services according to what tickles you, work when and as long as you like - what could be better for you?
Very good points.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #20
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Will be retiring sometime in 2017.

Not looking to stay idle, so exploring possibilities of either a part time job,
or starting my own business. Don't to wish full-time occupation, have done that for 40 yrs corporate !

Looking to the Forum for business suggestions or opportunities.
What business need is missing in the lakes region that could sustain
year-round employment and income.

Appreciate everyone's feedback !
I'm not clear on your previous business experience, but it doesn't sound like you're in huge need of an income.

Retirement is a great time to do charitable works. If you're on the board of directors of a non-profit, you will cross paths with "working" directors and you may find opportunities to be on boards of "for profit" companies that are paid positions. You won't get rich, but you can do much good, and pay enough expenses to allow you to make a real contribution to your community.

In another direction, there are almost always opportunities available in your town on various appointed and elected positions. NH is run by volunteers.

"Getting a job" isn't retiring. It's time to do something for others, even if it's only delivering Meals on Wheels one day a week.
There are SO many things to do. It sounds like if we make suggestions, it will be something where you have no experience (nothing wrong there) and won't consider it. Time to try new things and help run things.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:02 AM   #21
dpg

Or you can do "nothing..." Fill your days with yard work, hunting, fishing, boating/swimming, join a health club just to name a few. You can keep busier than you think with just a little effort. I'm not retired yet but I know MANY people who after retiring told me they don't know how they ever found time to work.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #22
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Or you can do "nothing..." Fill your days with yard work, hunting, fishing, boating/swimming, join a health club just to name a few. You can keep busier than you think with just a little effort. I'm not retired yet but I know MANY people who after retiring told me they don't know how they ever found time to work.
I have found this to be true. All of the hobbies that have been accumulated over the years keep me quite busy.

My efficiency is not what is used to be though. The go go go of running a business is now replaced with "I'll finish it tomorrow (or maybe the next day...)"

If you want to feel humble, try doing something new. You will realize that years of doing the same thing very well does not guarantee all you touch turns to gold.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #23
Woody38

Retiring after 38 years hoping to do things I didn't have time to do previously,
I soon found that there was never enough time. Too busy to read a good book.
Playing in the yard and trimming trees and shrubbery, minor house repairs, grooming the dogs and the list never ends.

You will find your agenda completely filled.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #24
laketrout

If you have the means and a good savings in your retirement or 401k try real estate sales. You can do ok if you work hard or with a good agency. Also as a rental agent or full-time/part time property management. I would recommend you get your New Hampshire Real Estate license 1st of course.
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:17 PM   #25
bigdog

Thanks everyone for all your great comments !

Laketrout.. I sent you a PM, please review.

Have lots to think about before retiring........

One thing I'm not going to do is stay still for any length of time, will continue to be active, most likely working part-time and performing volunteer service.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #26
HomeWood

Quote:

One thing I'm not going to do is stay still for any length of time, will continue to be active, most likely working part-time and performing volunteer service.
I would like to volunteer also. I have always wanted to be K9 handler, so volunteer search and rescue with a dog is on my list to explore.