Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2004, 06:34 AM   #1
cowgirl

Default boat licenses

I'm curious - do boaters from out of state need licenses to operate on the lake? How about those rent-for-a-day PWC?
For anyone who takes the course, or even those who have been operating long enough to understand the "rules of the road" and appreciate common courtesy, it is clear how to safely and legally proceed when boat traffic is high, as in the crowded Weirs area or after a fireworks display. Within 150 ft. of another boat or the shoreline, the no-wake rule applies. Approaching another boat, each passes on the right. Overtaking another boat, pass on the left. The rules don't work if only some of us understand and practice them.
We never go near the Weirs end of the lake on a summer weekend.
Once while on a Burger King run to Paugus in our classic wooden boat, we were caught in a huge cross wake made from several large boats who never slowed down near our tiny craft. Mom and Dad in the front, 3 small kids in the back. The waves loomed towards us like giant pyramids. Our choice was to slow down and have those behemoths completely wash over us, or speed up and hope to ride out over their tops. We sped up and our 17ft mahogany went airborne. We crashed down so hard that the wooden seat my husband and I were in broke. Our children were frightened and crying in the back.
Those big boats just kept right on going.