Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
Dan R

Default Vintage Films

I found some old 8mm films from the lake that have the original Mount Washington. I have been trying to convert it to digital with varied success. From the research I have done, it is best to actually scan the film. Does anyone know of a local camera store or hobbyist who might be able to digitize this film?
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
Oletimer

Default digitize 8mm film.

DanR, I believe CVS and Walgreen's photo departments do that. A little expensive I think but could be worth it!.
Oletimer.
Oletimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Crusty

Hi Dan,

I have a whole lot of 16mm films from the 1930s - 40s and have a similar problem. I've consulted a number of people (including Doak Ewing at Rare Sportsfilms) and received a few tips:

The first step is to clean and lubricate the films. This is important to prevent damaging films that have been stored for years. Professional film cleaner is available from a number of sources, including Amazon. In a pinch, you can use spray silicone (pure) as the cleaner/lubricant.

Next,the film should be inspected and repaired, as needed. You can still purchase the white acetate leader and splicing supplies (again, from Amazon). I prefer the tape splices; you may prefer glue.

Because of the quantity of film that I have, I found a trick that yields a pretty good copy without special equipment. I have a Sony digital video camera that includes an option to set the shutter speed. I found that by setting the shutter to 1/25 second, there was no "flicker" or horizontal bars in the finished transfer. I set the projector about 15 feet from a piece of white gator board and the camera (on a solid tripod) right next to the projector. At that distance, I could get good focus and framing and the recorded image shape remained rectangular.

If you want to go to the expense of an "ultimate resolution" transfer, you will really need to use the services of someone that specializes in film to video transfers, and who has the right equipment for the job. I found a number of places using Google. Most describe the equipment that they use and provide a number of options and extra services.

I would recommend that you not use a "drugstore" operation, since it is likely to be a miniscule part of their business and the quality might be less than you would like.

BTW, it is important to store your films in a cool, dry environment. Depending upon how old your films are, they may be prone to decay. If any of your films smell of vinegar, you need to bag it and store it in your freezer until you can arrange to have it transferred. Once you smell vinegar, the decay cannot be reversed or stopped. Freezing will almost stop further damage and will buy you some time. Generally, decayed film will warp and deform and scanning may be the only way to get it transferred.;

Good luck... Hope you enjoy your films as much as our family is enjoying ours.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
Smith Point (03-24-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,386 Times in 960 Posts

I am pretty sure Sound Spectrum in Wolfeboro will do this.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
NoBozo

Default Danger Danger

Just to add to Crusty's post above. I had some 8mm film from the 30s and early 40s. I borrowed an 8mm projector from a friend down the street to run the film. It ran fine.

A few months later I took the film down south to a relatives place and ran the film again..on Another projector. The "Tension" adjustment on the new projector was Wrong ..and the film was broken up into little Pieces...destroyed. OLD film can be very Brittle....and break........ NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2014, 04:59 AM   #6
Tomt

I have used a service called digmypics. Look them up online, you send them the film, they clean it and run it through their equiptment. A lot of places run the film on a screen and record the screen. Digmypics copy's it frame by frame. They do a great job and I found it to be less expensive than the local photo shops. The only draw back is you have to send the film through the mail. The first time I did it my label fell off it transit and it was lost for a short time. But the post office opened the box and there was an order sheet inside and they delivered it.
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
ApS

Smile Ask for more copies!

Last year, I sent about a dozen 8mm films to a trusted friend, known to many in Wolfeboro. His contact information appears below. He cautioned me about "old" film, but all were returned perfectly intact.

I didn't expect to be asked for a music accompanying the finished CD product, but upon being asked, included some rare Polynesian music that would please the family. I didn't have a "handle" on locating that music, but Mike came through and found some.

The result was very reasonable and professional—I should have asked for more copies!

freelandmh@comcast.net

Mailing addy:

Mike Freeland
7243 Hyperion Way
Parker CO 80134

And phone:

(303) 841-0712
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #8
RLW

Smile

Dan R, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

I just happen to catch your name going through some postings and noticed that I missed you back in March of this year. I hope you'll pop in now and then and join the members. Happy New Year to ya.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
salty dog

Default film conversion

Several years ago, I had some old 8mm film converted to DVD by a company called Video Conversion Experts. They had very good reviews and the results were great. They offer 4 levels of processing depending on what results you want and the price paid. It's great to play the DVD occasionally; much easier than the old projector days. Might be worth checking out. They show samples of results.

http://www.videoconversionexperts.com/
Old 12-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Try Molloy Sound and Video

Molloy Sound and Video in Manchester is the place to get it done. They are the top audio/visual company in New Hampshire. They will do it right and their pricing is reasonable.

Contact Bob Molloy
Molloy Sound and Video
1200 Mammoth Road, Manchester, NH 03109
(603) 622-6604

http://www.molloysoundandvideo.com/
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
MGWillia

Default Site comparison...

looks like it's a side line for the second company and a primary for the first..
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote